Re: Harawira-Naera and Horsburgh charged with drink driving

Post by GreenMachine »

Is there something going on with CHN?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

GreenMachine wrote: February 23, 2021, 5:58 pm Is there something going on with CHN?
He's getting too old apparently.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

But these jokes aren’t! They’re just getting started
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Harawira-Naera and Horsburgh charged with drink driving

Post by IBG »

Corey Horsburgh and Corey Harawira-Naera suspended by NRL after drink driving incidents

The NRL has issued breach notices for Canberra forwards Corey Harawira-Naera and Corey Horsburgh over separate drink-driving incidents.

The league has proposed a two-match ban and $10,000 fine for Harawira-Naera over a mid-range drink driving charge, taking into account prior offences by the player.

A one-match ban and $5000 fine, suspended for 12 months, is proposed for Horsburgh.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/06/nrl ... eet-fight/

Canberra Raiders' Coreys get NRL bans: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-du ... e0eff1b673
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Think CHN is a bit lucky with 2 matches IMO. Cop your medicine boys, rip in and earn your way back.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

What does it mean with the $5k for Horse suspended for 12 months? Does that mean he has to pay it in 12 months time?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Pretty good result for the club and those boys
Happy to take that and move on
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Bay53 wrote: February 23, 2021, 4:02 pm
Bay53 wrote: February 23, 2021, 3:59 pm Fortunately I don't have experience in these things, but 3 months licence suspension for such a low range - is that normal?

When I see that RBT TV show occasionally, the ones just over often get a fine but no licence suspension.
It mustn't be his first offence. .05 to .08 is normally 2 months for first offence, 3 months for repeat offence.

https://justice.act.gov.au/drink-and-dr ... g-laws-act
It changed recently. Low range you now get a fine and automatic 3 month suspension, previously it was charge, so the court decided what to impose (sometimes just a fine, sometimes a section 10, sometimes a disqualification period, etc). Now you only have to go to court for mid or high range, which again leaves the punishment to the discretion of the magistrate.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:What does it mean with the $5k for Horse suspended for 12 months? Does that mean he has to pay it in 12 months time?
It means if he meets certain conditions (not reoffending, doing a course perhaps) then the fine won’t be applied.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Weird that all three players names are Corey or is it just me? 🤷‍♂️
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Old School Green wrote:Weird that all three players names are Corey or is it just me? Image
It's just you Corey.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Send CHN packing. He’s let us down off the field. And I wouldn’t give him the opportunity to let us down on it with his lazy turnstyle tackling technique
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

very fair

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rickmando wrote: March 6, 2021, 4:53 pm Send CHN packing. He’s let us down off the field. And I wouldn’t give him the opportunity to let us down on it with his lazy turnstyle tackling technique
He's got some work to do to win any sort of trust back. He had zero credits in the bank when he arrived. Played ok but nothing exceptional. Then he stuffs up again. Papa has stuffed up more than once and got himself back on track. Sia is a perfect mentor if he's ready to learn. He's here for the season and it's up to him what he makes of it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The anti-CHN sentiment on this website is both extremely predictable and ridiculous.

He's been done for drink driving, a very serious indiscretion. This is his first misstep as a Raider, but many have made missteps and redeemed themselves, and they are some of our most important players. He's not being given a fair go by some imo, and as i've predicted months ago, the die is cast for those some. Which is grossly unfair.

Also the only thing "lazy" about this situation is people catagorising concerns about his defence as being lazy. When has has defensive lapses, it's very rarely to do with lack of effort. In fact it's quite the opposite, most of the time it's because he's overly aggressive, otherwise it's your bog standard misread of the play.

Edge players are always leveraged in different ways, so misreads will always happen, in fact Elliott Whitehead has always had those issues himself, was one of the worst offenders in the league last yearon that front.
His defence has not typically been "lazy"
Last edited by Botman on March 6, 2021, 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:
bonehead wrote: March 6, 2021, 6:20 pm very fair

It could not be any less fair if he tried.
The anti-CHN sentiment on this website is both extremely predictable and ridiculous.

He's been done for drink driving, a very serious indiscretion. This is his first misstep as a Raider, but many have made missteps and redeemed themselves, and they are some of our most important players. He's not being given a fair go by some imo, and as i've predicted months ago, the die is cast for those some. Which is grossly unfair.
I meant 2 games, very fair

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think bonehead was saying suspensions of one and two weeks, and a fine for CHN was fair. Stand to be corrected though.

I believe that the NRL penalties are fair and perfectly reasonable and the Raiders and players are reportedly set to accept them.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ah ok, yes, apoligies then
I agree. It's very fair. i have edited the post, to avoid confussion with Boney
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:Ah ok, yes, apoligies then
I agree. It's very fair. i have edited the post, to avoid confussion with Boney
all good

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The club is clearly not ditching CHN for this drink driving offence. The suspension, significant fine and the embarrassment of being caught is fair though.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: March 6, 2021, 7:14 pm The anti-CHN sentiment on this website is both extremely predictable

Also the only thing "lazy" about this situation is people catagorising concerns about his defence as being lazy. When has has defensive lapses, it's very rarely to do with lack of effort. In fact it's quite the opposite, most of the time it's because he's overly aggressive, otherwise it's your bog standard misread of the play.

Edge players are always leveraged in different ways, so misreads will always happen, in fact Elliott Whitehead has always had those issues himself, was one of the worst offenders in the league last yearon that front.
Agree.

And tbh you can’t even judge him on any of 2020. It’s a complete write off where he played dreadfully out of nick and out of position. He helped the club out by doing that and not enough credit is given to him for that imo.

This bloke is a born gun modern day edge forward.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

julian87 wrote: March 7, 2021, 7:17 am
Botman wrote: March 6, 2021, 7:14 pm The anti-CHN sentiment on this website is both extremely predictable

Agree.

And tbh you can’t even judge him on any of 2020. It’s a complete write off where he played dreadfully out of nick and out of position. He helped the club out by doing that and not enough credit is given to him for that imo.

This bloke is a born gun modern day edge forward.
Agree with both...well said.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

At his best, he'll be unreal for our attack on the right. Williams could have a field day playing off him and getting him to run some of those lines.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Seiffert82 wrote:At his best, he'll be unreal for our attack on the right. Williams could have a field day playing off him and getting him to run some of those lines.
Yep agree Seif. I think it’s only CHN’s defence and off field professionalism that is a possible cause for concern. He has a line running and passing game amongst the best in his position.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Classic boney, what an absolute jerk, get ‘im Botto!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:Classic boney, what an absolute jerk, get ‘im Botto!
I didn't sleep well after another of my many flaws was rubbed in my face, why can't I be more like you

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Classic boney, what an absolute jerk, get ‘im Botto!
I didn't sleep well after another of my many flaws was rubbed in my face, why can't I be more like you

Well keep carrying on like a massive jerk and you’re well on your way
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

BJ wrote: March 7, 2021, 10:11 am
Seiffert82 wrote:At his best, he'll be unreal for our attack on the right. Williams could have a field day playing off him and getting him to run some of those lines.
Yep agree Seif. I think it’s only CHN’s defence and off field professionalism that is a possible cause for concern. He has a line running and passing game amongst the best in his position.
Off field stuff is a fair enough concern solely given this thread. His defense is not a concern imo.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote:
Off field stuff is a fair enough concern solely given this thread. His defense is not a concern imo.
So... one drink driving charge?

Grab the pitchforks guys!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: March 7, 2021, 10:27 am
100% agree
Concerns for his off field professionalism is valid
His defensive whilst not his strong point, is also not bad enough to be a concern
He’s going to concede a few tries, that’s the nature of the edge. He’s not a below average defender for his position, he’d be right around middle of the pack
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Harawira-Naera was in the bottom 10 forwards in terms of tackle efficiency last year (84 per cent). Only five forwards in the competition had a lower tackle efficiency rate. That was down on 86 per cent the previous year with the Bulldogs. It's certainly an area for concern.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Where does the 86% rank? And you’d think that would increase in a better defensive team as well.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think his defensive issues can be worked out. Like Botman says it is largely due to him overcommitting. There were games last year where he came on for limited minutes and he clearly wanted to make an impact on both sides of the ball and got found out. He was very good in the last loss to the Storm.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

julian87 wrote: March 7, 2021, 1:39 pm Where does the 86% rank? And you’d think that would increase in a better defensive team as well.
The best tackle efficiency rate in 2020 for forwards was 96 per cent (middles, obviously, dominate this statistic). This year 21 forwards had an 86 per cent tackle efficiency rate or lower. That's roughly the bottom 10 per cent of the forwards cohort.

There were 13 second rowers with an 86 per cent tackle efficiency rate in 2020, That was the bottom 15 per cent of the second row cohort.

Elliott Whitehead had 10 try causes in 2020, the most at the club. Corey Harawira-Naera and Dunamis Lui were equal second with three. It is much tougher defending on the edge. To put those numbers in context, Elliott Whitehead played 1738 minutes in 2020, Lui 740 and Harawira-Naera 330.

I agree it may be something CHN can work on and improve. But he's not middle of the pack in terms of defence.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I don’t believe this clubs needs to carry, or should be carrying, someone so boneheaded.

He had a rap sheet before he came to us, he’s not been in the joint more than roughly half a year, and then he wilfully commits a big lapse of judgement during a period where he should be training the house down and working with his new team mates. That’s dumb, before we even talk about what he does on the park.

All the blowhards declaring his defence is NRL standard or the old chestnut “it can be fixed”.... put on his tape from either his panthers or bulldogs days. You’ll see him miss a lot of tackles other first graders should and would make. And it doesn’t look any different in 2020 from what it did in 2017 or 2018