Canberra Raiders half George Williams out of Victorian quarantine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
BJ
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5130
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by BJ »

I wish the State tourism boards agreed with you Badnmean that interstate travel by plane at this time was a risk.

Victoria is still sending me promotions and offers about great holidays I can have in Melbourne. I can choose from about 100 different hotel and food offers or enjoy the Australian Open Tennis or Moto Grand Prix.
User avatar
Azza
Steve Walters
Posts: 7786
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Azza »

BJ wrote: January 6, 2021, 10:13 am I wish the State tourism boards agreed with you Badnmean that interstate travel by plane at this time was a risk.
Possibly true but if these states can't stop bickering and political grandstanding (all of them) and come up with a united position on approaching borders, there will be uncertainty for months if not years to come which will destroy our tourism industry.
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20779
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Dr Zaius »

Azza wrote:
BJ wrote: January 6, 2021, 10:13 am I wish the State tourism boards agreed with you Badnmean that interstate travel by plane at this time was a risk.
Possibly true but if these states can't stop bickering and political grandstanding (all of them) and come up with a united position on approaching borders, there will be uncertainty for months if not years to come which will destroy our tourism industry.
Won't happen until the WA election is over. Even then, Victorians will remain skittish
User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3599
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Lui_Bon »

MrPosh wrote: January 6, 2021, 1:18 am
Lui_Bon wrote: January 6, 2021, 12:43 am I blame the federal government. Who don't seem to run a country right now.
You lads don't even know you're born.
Haha I believe the expression is "Fair play".

I wouldn't swap Scroto for Bojo if you paid me
User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3599
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Lui_Bon »

Bay53 wrote: January 6, 2021, 7:33 am
Lui_Bon wrote: January 6, 2021, 12:43 am This may be a bit unpleasant but actually George hasn't been dudded by some on-air announcement. Several days ago the Victorian government announced that all "their" people had about 36 hours to get across the border - those that did so would be able to home quarantine for 14 days. Couldn't be bothered checking but I think this was about the 29th of December.

However, if you were too late, you would also have mandatory quarantine. In hotels. I had rellies who were going to drive to canberra and stay for a few days, and possibly they would have been alright with then driving back to Victoria and quarantining for 14 days in their own home. The messaging from their clownpeople (spokespersons) was utterly unclear. Neither news.com or the guardian bothered to understand the syntax. However, for once the ABC actually clarified that this deadline meant that anyone returning to Victoria after that midnight deadline, even Victorian residents, would face two weeks of mandatory hotel quarantine. So my bro didn't come to canberra because he wouldn't be able to go home and quarantine, he'd have to go to a hotel.

And that is what George has got. Along with lots of other people. Frankly he, like 20 thousand others, should not be travelling at all. Stupid as it may seem. I blame the federal government. Who don't seem to run a country right now.
Lui,

You like many other people on social media are not understanding the rules are different for ACT residents. I could have flown to Melbourne and back every day this week if I had wanted to.

The facts, as reported are:

- Williams and his partner are considered ACT residents.

- They were in NSW (Batemans Bay) on 28-30 December.

- They then came back to the ACT between 31 December and 3 Jan.

- on 3 Jan they went to Canberra Airport to fly to Melbourne.

- When they arrived at the airport, ACT residents could enter Victoria if they hadn’t been to NSW since 31 December.

- whilst they were travelling the rules changed and anyone who had been to NSW in the past 14 days couldn’t enter Victoria.

You can argue whether they should be travelling, but it seems they made sure they were in compliance with all the rules but the rules changed on them.
I wouldn't have argued with you but I've never been on social media in my life, unless you count this forum. So:

Here is a link to the Vic Health Department's statement of 3 January:

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus ... nuary-2021

and the key paragraphs:
"DHHS has received more than 1500 applications on 2 January requesting an exemption to enter Victoria from NSW. These applications are being triaged, with 654 requiring additional documentation. Applications are being processed in a 24-48-hour period.

Applications are carefully assessed to determine the public health risk and 117 exemptions have been granted to enter Victoria for reasons such as end of life circumstances or to attend a funeral.

A negative COVID-19 test is required as part of the exemption application.
...

Victoria’s border with New South Wales is now closed. "

Now here's the legal directive, from the 5th of January, which does lend weight to your argument:

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/sites/defau ... signed.pdf

Mainly because the only two clauses with seem remotely relevant are 3 (4) [People transiting through New South Wales to Victoria from a State or Territory other than New South Wales; A person who resides in, or has visited, a State or Territory other than New South Wales, may only enter Victoria from New South Wales]

and 3 (5) which is about "People arriving from New South Wales to transit through Victoria to another State or a Territory"

Neither of these cover George's circumstances or address the ACT as an originating address at all, in fact. So I agree, it's confusing and I blame bureaucracies unable to deal with pathological cases. And websites that don't make it real easy to find their own reports from even 3 days ago.

However, I stand by my argument and if you are really keen I'd challenge you to show me proof of these statements:

"- on 3 Jan... When they arrived at the airport, ACT residents could enter Victoria if they hadn’t been to NSW since 31 December.

- whilst they were travelling the rules changed and anyone who had been to NSW in the past 14 days couldn’t enter Victoria. "

Because I do not believe that you could have flown cheerfully back and forth from Canberra to Melbourne, when even by 3 January no-one could drive back and forth.

Mind you, I hope George is ok!
User avatar
Azza
Steve Walters
Posts: 7786
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Azza »

Dr Zaius wrote: January 6, 2021, 7:15 pm
Azza wrote:
BJ wrote: January 6, 2021, 10:13 am I wish the State tourism boards agreed with you Badnmean that interstate travel by plane at this time was a risk.
Possibly true but if these states can't stop bickering and political grandstanding (all of them) and come up with a united position on approaching borders, there will be uncertainty for months if not years to come which will destroy our tourism industry.
Won't happen until the WA election is over. Even then, Victorians will remain skittish
Awesome. This means my trip in mid April can go ahead!!
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6241
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Bay53 »

Lui_Bon wrote: January 6, 2021, 10:27 pm
Bay53 wrote: January 6, 2021, 7:33 am
Lui_Bon wrote: January 6, 2021, 12:43 am This may be a bit unpleasant but actually George hasn't been dudded by some on-air announcement. Several days ago the Victorian government announced that all "their" people had about 36 hours to get across the border - those that did so would be able to home quarantine for 14 days. Couldn't be bothered checking but I think this was about the 29th of December.

However, if you were too late, you would also have mandatory quarantine. In hotels. I had rellies who were going to drive to canberra and stay for a few days, and possibly they would have been alright with then driving back to Victoria and quarantining for 14 days in their own home. The messaging from their clownpeople (spokespersons) was utterly unclear. Neither news.com or the guardian bothered to understand the syntax. However, for once the ABC actually clarified that this deadline meant that anyone returning to Victoria after that midnight deadline, even Victorian residents, would face two weeks of mandatory hotel quarantine. So my bro didn't come to canberra because he wouldn't be able to go home and quarantine, he'd have to go to a hotel.

And that is what George has got. Along with lots of other people. Frankly he, like 20 thousand others, should not be travelling at all. Stupid as it may seem. I blame the federal government. Who don't seem to run a country right now.
Lui,

You like many other people on social media are not understanding the rules are different for ACT residents. I could have flown to Melbourne and back every day this week if I had wanted to.

The facts, as reported are:

- Williams and his partner are considered ACT residents.

- They were in NSW (Batemans Bay) on 28-30 December.

- They then came back to the ACT between 31 December and 3 Jan.

- on 3 Jan they went to Canberra Airport to fly to Melbourne.

- When they arrived at the airport, ACT residents could enter Victoria if they hadn’t been to NSW since 31 December.

- whilst they were travelling the rules changed and anyone who had been to NSW in the past 14 days couldn’t enter Victoria.

You can argue whether they should be travelling, but it seems they made sure they were in compliance with all the rules but the rules changed on them.
I wouldn't have argued with you but I've never been on social media in my life, unless you count this forum. So:

Here is a link to the Vic Health Department's statement of 3 January:

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus ... nuary-2021

and the key paragraphs:
"DHHS has received more than 1500 applications on 2 January requesting an exemption to enter Victoria from NSW. These applications are being triaged, with 654 requiring additional documentation. Applications are being processed in a 24-48-hour period.

Applications are carefully assessed to determine the public health risk and 117 exemptions have been granted to enter Victoria for reasons such as end of life circumstances or to attend a funeral.

A negative COVID-19 test is required as part of the exemption application.
...

Victoria’s border with New South Wales is now closed. "

Now here's the legal directive, from the 5th of January, which does lend weight to your argument:

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/sites/defau ... signed.pdf

Mainly because the only two clauses with seem remotely relevant are 3 (4) [People transiting through New South Wales to Victoria from a State or Territory other than New South Wales; A person who resides in, or has visited, a State or Territory other than New South Wales, may only enter Victoria from New South Wales]

and 3 (5) which is about "People arriving from New South Wales to transit through Victoria to another State or a Territory"

Neither of these cover George's circumstances or address the ACT as an originating address at all, in fact. So I agree, it's confusing and I blame bureaucracies unable to deal with pathological cases. And websites that don't make it real easy to find their own reports from even 3 days ago.

However, I stand by my argument and if you are really keen I'd challenge you to show me proof of these statements:

"- on 3 Jan... When they arrived at the airport, ACT residents could enter Victoria if they hadn’t been to NSW since 31 December.

- whilst they were travelling the rules changed and anyone who had been to NSW in the past 14 days couldn’t enter Victoria. "

Because I do not believe that you could have flown cheerfully back and forth from Canberra to Melbourne, when even by 3 January no-one could drive back and forth.

Mind you, I hope George is ok!
I can promise you, I can fly from Canberra to Melbourne. I have been looking at doing it for this weekend to go to a family function.

I can also drive but I need to apply for a permit first.
Last edited by Bay53 on January 7, 2021, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6241
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Bay53 »

LuiBon,

Here is the ACT Chief Minister talking about the Williams case (and others) at a press conference on Tuesday. The relevant part starts 19 mins in.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14659
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by bonehead »

Bay53 wrote:LuiBon,

Here is the ACT Chief Minister talking about the Williams case (and others) at a press conference on Tuesday. The relevant part starts 19 mins in.

19mins in, sounds thrilling.
Needs a "report for the gh"

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134343
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star George Williams tests negative to COVID-19, but remains stuck in Melbourne quarantine

George Williams hopes a negative COVID-19 test will offer a reprieve from his Melbourne quarantine hell, which prevented him joining Raiders teammates at their pre-season return on Thursday.

"The Raiders' performance staff have sent me a circuit thing, so that's got burpees, push-ups, sit-ups, planking, all the body-work stuff. It's just a waiting game at the moment, hopefully something happens," Williams said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Image
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6241
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Bay53 »

bonehead wrote: January 7, 2021, 11:06 am
Needs a "report for the gh"

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I won’t do this anywhere near as well as GE but here is a summary

- it is regrettable when things apply retrospectively.
- the situation is changing rapidly
- we have a situation where some members of the ACT community caught a flight to Melbourne after they had been to Queanbeyan or down the South Coast and whilst they were in the air or when they landed those rules had changed and they are now in hotel quarantine.
- we will do our best to help those people, one of them is a footballer but it is not just about a footballer, there are a number of people in the same situation
- the best result will be a negative test and they can return to Canberra, it is obvious they won’t be able to continue their Melbourne trip.
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6241
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2021, 5:30 pm Canberra Raiders star George Williams tests negative to COVID-19, but remains stuck in Melbourne quarantine

George Williams hopes a negative COVID-19 test will offer a reprieve from his Melbourne quarantine hell, which prevented him joining Raiders teammates at their pre-season return on Thursday.

"The Raiders' performance staff have sent me a circuit thing, so that's got burpees, push-ups, sit-ups, planking, all the body-work stuff. It's just a waiting game at the moment, hopefully something happens," Williams said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
I am not sure the Canberra Times using terms like “quarantine hell” is particularly helpful to George’s cause. They are plenty of people who are enjoying telling him that there are plenty of people worse off and that is undoubtedly true.

What they should be focusing on is this is stupid bureaucracy that is protecting no one but causing unnecessary stress and inconvenience for a group of people who have done nothing wrong. All at the expense of the Victorian taxpayer.
User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3599
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Lui_Bon »

Bay53 wrote: January 7, 2021, 5:40 pm
bonehead wrote: January 7, 2021, 11:06 am
Needs a "report for the gh"

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I won’t do this anywhere near as well as GE but here is a summary

- it is regrettable when things apply retrospectively.
- the situation is changing rapidly
- we have a situation where some members of the ACT community caught a flight to Melbourne after they had been to Queanbeyan or down the South Coast and whilst they were in the air or when they landed those rules had changed and they are now in hotel quarantine.
- we will do our best to help those people, one of them is a footballer but it is not just about a footballer, there are a number of people in the same situation
- the best result will be a negative test and they can return to Canberra, it is obvious they won’t be able to continue their Melbourne trip.
Hi B53, thanks for your efforts. particularly if you listened to the whole press conference...

That said, Barr alludes to people only having a chance to find out they would have to quarantine on arrival in Victoria hours before or even while they were on their flight, due to changing status of red/green zones. He's not very precise at all. In fact, he doesn't have a clue. (oh and thanks, it's the longest time I've ever spent twitting...)

I maintain that by January 1st return travel to Victoria from the ACT or through NSW was already dodgy. There was about a 36 hour deadline, hence the vast traffic queues at Albury. They never really mentioned air travel but good luck flying to Melbourne and trying to tell the cops "but it wasn't on the website!"

Possibly my views are coloured by the complete no-clueism I got from the ACT Health hotline in very late December when trying to determine if my daughter flying from Sydney to Canberra on December 30 would be able to be collected by car and driven straight back to NSW (where I live) or whether she would be subject to the 14 day hotel quarantine in the ACT. They said "I don't know - call back tomorrow at 8am" - the fact that she would have been on the plane by then meant it wasn't going to happen, so she got the train to Yass instead.

And having worked in the federal bureaucracy for decades, I can't excuse the basic incompetence in communication that the states and territories have shown - their websites are a circular maze. Haha one thing Mr Posh doesn't have to worry about.

I guess I'll let it go there, but George was stupid to go to Victoria at all.
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6241
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Bay53 »

By contrast, NT have today closed their border to Qld. Their Chief Minister said there are currently flights in the air and those arriving from Brisbane would have the option of quarantining in Darwin or returning to Brisbane.

Regardless of what you think of the border decision itself, that seems a much more sensible solution.
User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14659
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by bonehead »

Bay53 wrote:
bonehead wrote: January 7, 2021, 11:06 am
Needs a "report for the gh"

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I won’t do this anywhere near as well as GE but here is a summary

- it is regrettable when things apply retrospectively.
- the situation is changing rapidly
- we have a situation where some members of the ACT community caught a flight to Melbourne after they had been to Queanbeyan or down the South Coast and whilst they were in the air or when they landed those rules had changed and they are now in hotel quarantine.
- we will do our best to help those people, one of them is a footballer but it is not just about a footballer, there are a number of people in the same situation
- the best result will be a negative test and they can return to Canberra, it is obvious they won’t be able to continue their Melbourne trip.
thx Bay

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6241
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Bay53 »

One would think we probably now have players who have been in Brisbane before returning to training yesterday. We are going to lose them from training for the next little period too. Bit easier than George though, we could get some gym gear to them pretty easily.
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6241
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Bay53 »

Sadly, the events of the past few days, says that the 2021 NRL season is going to be affected by Covid.

I really thought we were getting there. No cases for a long time and Qld and NSW had allowed 100% crowds. I expected ACT was going to follow suit too, although they had no real need to change in a hurry. The big bash games were pretty much the only thing on and they weren’t really pushing the 65% capacity.

9 weeks Sunday to round 1. Fingers crossed things get better over that time.
User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3599
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Lui_Bon »

Bay53 wrote: January 8, 2021, 12:54 pm By contrast, NT have today closed their border to Qld. Their Chief Minister said there are currently flights in the air and those arriving from Brisbane would have the option of quarantining in Darwin or returning to Brisbane.

Regardless of what you think of the border decision itself, that seems a much more sensible solution.
knoath. Why are Territories more sensible than States?

errr.. rhetorical question
User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 32336
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by -TW- »

Seems George has been rescued, he's back in Canberra

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6241
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams stuck in quarantine in Victoria

Post by Bay53 »

Nice to see it finally sorted.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134343
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Canberra Raiders half George Williams out of Victorian quarantine

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders half George Williams out of quarantine and back home in nation’s capital

Canberra Raiders half George Williams and his partner have returned to the nation’s capital after being unwittingly stuck in quarantine in a Melbourne hotel.

Williams posted a picture of what appears to be his backyard on his Instagram Story late Saturday afternoon, with the caption “And we’re back” and the location of “Canberra, Australian Capital Territory”.

Image

The couple flew to Melbourne on 3 January, after they were advised that they were not affected by Victoria’s border closure, due to the COVID outbreak in New South Wales. Victoria has not closed the border to the ACT. However, their recent travel to Bateman’s Bay, between December 28-30, became a problem for Victorian authorities.

Williams said that the southern State changed their rules on the day he flew, so that any ACT resident who had been in NSW in the previous 14 days could not travel freely to Victoria - and he and his partner were required to enter hotel quarantine for 14 days in Melbourne.

Williams took to Instagram to explain his plight and ask for help - and it came to the attention of ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr. Barr undertook to help Williams and around 20 other Canberrans who found themselves unexpectedly in quarantine in Melbourne.

As part of the process, Williams took a COVID test and was cleared of the virus late this week. Williams and his partner ended up spending almost a week in quarantine.

A report for The Greenhouse
Image
User avatar
simo
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9281
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams out of Victorian quarantine

Post by simo »

Good job GE
Dont delete this GE
Fuifui Bradbrad
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6972
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Phil Graham
Location: Marsden Park

Re: Canberra Raiders half George Williams out of Victorian quarantine

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

Great work GE. Probably wouldn’t have happened if you didn’t get on the phone to Barr and offer your helicopter for a quick Extraction
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Post Reply