Papalii defeats Ben Hannant in Rugby League Rivals boxing clash

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Papalii defeats Ben Hannant in Rugby League Rivals boxing clash

Post by Belcher#1 »

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii set to fight Nelson Asofa-Solomona on NRL fight night

Ask Josh Papalii how he feels about stepping in a boxing ring with Nelson Asofa-Solomona Papalii in Townsville on February 12.

“He’s not the opponent you want to pick out of the hat. He's going to be a hard man to stop but get to wear headgear and all that so I think I'll be safe. Someone my size would have been alright, but Nelson is going to have to do," Papalii said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... latestnews

How do people feel about this? Papa is a big boy and can handle himself but isn't this an unnecessary risk of injury? I think the club should step in and tell him to hold off on the boxing exploits until his league career is over.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Papalii to fight Nelson Asofa-Solomona

Post by greeneyed »

Papa is officially 182 cms and 112 kgs. NAS is 115 kgs... but 200 cms. That’s a big height advantage. And presumably a big reach advantage.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

A quick kick to the twins and NAS is down..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If NAS can even box a little this is a bad match up for Papa. NAS could just stay on the outside jabbing away with his reach advantage.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

gergreg wrote: December 15, 2020, 5:01 pm If NAS can even box a little this is a bad match up for Papa. NAS could just stay on the outside jabbing away with his reach advantage.

Did you seeing him beating up locals in Bali ?

I’m not too happy about Papa fighting this beast.

A more appropriate opponent..like..softserve would be preferable..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I wonder if Papa was saying bala... rather than Bali. Anyway, that’s what The Canberra Times said he said!
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Big Papa peak a boo goodnight. Big Nelson is making a mistake he probably won't remember.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Looks like there are a few other Rugby League players having fights including former Raiders Sandor Earl and Todd Carney.

Does seem a bit rough that Justis Huni the Australian heavy weight champ is on the undercard and Papalli v NAS is main event.

Huni fought on Fox Sports the other night, in Brisbane I think, and I thought looked the goods, mind you the bloke he fought looked like he could handle himself down the pub but didn’t look to have much of a technique.

The bloke running these events including the Jeff Horn fights is Dean Lonergan. Apparently he played 4 games for us.

Before my time in Canberra, what are peoples memories of Lonergan as a footballer??
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Details of the bout for those Interested. https://www.boxingpackages.com.au/event ... ownsville/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

-PJ- wrote: December 15, 2020, 5:10 pm
gergreg wrote: December 15, 2020, 5:01 pm If NAS can even box a little this is a bad match up for Papa. NAS could just stay on the outside jabbing away with his reach advantage.

Did you seeing him beating up locals in Bali ?

I’m not too happy about Papa fighting this beast.

A more appropriate opponent..like..softserve would be preferable..
Street brawls are an entirely different beast to an actual boxing match
If their skills are comparable, certainly with the height and reach, NAS will be a tough ask for Papalii

But i think Papalii is probably a better boxer than your average NFL footballer who thinks he can throw them. If NAS doesnt know what he's doing in a ring and Papalii does, this will not go well for NAS.
Green Beers
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Ricky staurt

Post by Green Beers »

We all know who papa’s cousin, Alex lion heart leapi
Green Beers
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Ricky staurt

Post by Green Beers »

He accidentally knocked him out a few years back while sparing him, if he can accidentally knock out a former champion I’m not to worried for papa
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Willie Mason vs 3rd man Sam
Neville Costigan vs Junior Paulo
Scott Prince vs Toddy C
Justin Hodges vs Sandor
Matt Bowen vs Craig Gower

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Who in their right mind would fight big Nelson?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Papalii to fight Nelson Asofa-Solomona

Post by Sid »

Dr Zaius wrote:Who in their right mind would fight big Nelson?
Is the answer BIGCHEESE?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

I would very much doubt Big Papa is going into this under prepared, he’s the best in his position in a very tough game for a reason.

Papa on points for me.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sid wrote:
Is the answer BIGCHEESE?

Not even Big Nelson would take on the Big Cheese
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Wow Neville Costigan? Craig Gower? Matt Bowen? I've never seen Matty come close to a melee. It's like asking Chicka Ferguson to fight.

And I assume Thaiday won't actually be boxing, he'll run in on someone else's fight 15 seconds after the bell rang.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Wasn't it Gower who chased Mitchell Pearce around with a wooden spoon or something once?

Pretty sure I remember Bowen throwing a punch once. Him and JT threw a couple of wet lettuces at some opposition forward who was literally laughing

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

EJ wrote:Wasn't it Gower who chased Mitchell Pearce around with a wooden spoon or something once? Image

Pretty sure I remember Bowen throwing a punch once. Him and JT threw a couple of wet lettuces at some opposition forward who was literally laughing

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Gower chased Pearce at a Jack Classic with a bottle, fairly unsavoury affair.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 16, 2020, 4:41 am
Sid wrote:
Is the answer BIGCHEESE?

Not even Big Nelson would take on the Big Cheese
Legs only and I'm in, no punching!
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

can you imagine any other professional sports code that would allow it's star player to engage in a boxing event during the off-season?

a lot of contracts prohibit players from riding motorcycles, going rock climbing, sky diving etc. I just think it's very unprofessional of the club to allow him to do this.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

There sure is a risk even with head gear and most likely 12 oz gloves. Papa will have to channel Mike Tyson to reach NAS. Still, he has a punchers chance.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:Wow Neville Costigan? Craig Gower? Matt Bowen? I've never seen Matty come close to a melee. It's like asking Chicka Ferguson to fight.

And I assume Thaiday won't actually be boxing, he'll run in on someone else's fight 15 seconds after the bell rang.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Surely Todd Carney stands in the corner just barking at Prince and let's someone else fight on his behalf.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If I was a boxing promoter I would have:

Carney V Irwin

Fought on the tray bed of a Holden Ute with police lights flashing in the background.

I would also have James Packer dressed up as James Brown doing the pre clash song to the tune of Living in America to get the audience really going.

No longer living with Erica
Yeah
I’ve moved on
To Mariah

The words even fit perfectly.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Belcher#1 wrote: December 16, 2020, 1:32 pm can you imagine any other professional sports code that would allow it's star player to engage in a boxing event during the off-season?

a lot of contracts prohibit players from riding motorcycles, going rock climbing, sky diving etc. I just think it's very unprofessional of the club to allow him to do this.
Realistically he's under much greater threat of injury playing a preseason trial than an exhibition boxing match. Plus side it's a great way to keep him in shape during the off season. We know Paps can stack on the kilos pretty easily.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Also, people still asleep need to wake up to the player empowerment era
I dont know how seriously Papalii wants to take this boxing thing, but this is not the first time its come up
If Papalii wants to do off season boxing, and its important enough to him, he'll either be doing it as a Canberra Raider, or he'll find a new club that will allow him to do it.

I dont think we're trying to play chicken or piss off a club legend, still producing at an incredibly high level over throwing some hands with another footy player
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: December 17, 2020, 11:47 am
Belcher#1 wrote: December 16, 2020, 1:32 pm can you imagine any other professional sports code that would allow it's star player to engage in a boxing event during the off-season?

Realistically he's under much greater threat of injury playing a preseason trial than an exhibition boxing match. Plus side it's a great way to keep him in shape during the off season. We know Paps can stack on the kilos pretty easily.
He says in the story that keeping fit is one motivation. An extra motivation to stay fit, as he’s not coming back until after Christmas.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

greeneyed wrote: December 17, 2020, 12:24 pm

He says in the story that keeping fit is one motivation. An extra motivation to stay fit, as he’s not coming back until after Christmas.
wonder what the club would say if Papa said he enjoys swimming in the open ocean or midnight jogs on the highway.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Belcher#1 wrote: December 17, 2020, 3:11 pm

wonder what the club would say if Papa said he enjoys swimming in the open ocean or midnight jogs on the highway.
Yes I wonder to. Let's ask the club and see what they say.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If Papa wants to do it... I’m not telling him he can’t! :lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:

Yes I wonder to. Let's ask the club and see what they say.
Open water swimming and midnight jogs don't quite subsidise the salary like a boxing match.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If those activities are important enough that he might force his way out of the club, and take up a contract with a QLD club who would allow such activity, they'll provide him the trunks and give him a flash light.

Welcome to 2021 (almost)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'd say Paps was in more danger when sparring with Alex Leapai than he would be in this fight. As impressive a physical specimen NAS is he's not a world ranked heavyweight contender.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Why would anyone want to watch Hodges or Carney box again. They were putrid.