2020 in review - Stalwarts and debutants

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the twenty eighth and final instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Nick Cotric, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Michael Oldfield, Jack Wighton, George Williams, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling, Siliva Havili, Dunamis Lui, Sia Soliola, Ryan Sutton, Hudson Young, Elliott Whitehead, John Bateman, Corey Harawira-Naera, Joe Tapine, Corey Horsburgh, Emre Guler, Kai O'Donnell, Harley Smith-Shields and Matt Timoko.

Five players made one appearance for the Canberra Raiders in 2020 - all in the Round 20 "Rookie Raiders" clash with the Cronulla Sharks at Kogarah Jubilee Stadium. A club stalwart, half Sam Williams was given the honour of captaining the Raiders for the first time. Raiders junior, Matt Frawley, made his first appearance in first grade in the green. And three players made their NRL debut - Adam Cook, Darby Medlyn and Jarrett Subloo. It was a game that the Raiders were not expected to win - but a mix of experience and raw talent and enthusiasm delivered a thrilling victory.

Sam Williams, aged 29, is in his third stint with the Canberra Raiders. The Cooma Colts and Raiders junior made his NRL debut for the Green Machine in Round 1 of 2011 - and was named man of the match in the 40-12 win over the Sharks. He departed for the St George Illawarra Dragons, and then the Catalan Dragons, in 2014, before returning in 2015. He had another sojourn in England with Wakefield Trinity in 2017, with the prodigal son returning to Canberra in 2018.

Williams really shone when given the opportunity to lead the Raiders in Round 20, after having played just one game all year in NSW Cup. In that "Rookie Raiders" win over the Sharks, he set up a try for winger Nick Cotric with a great kick to the corner. Williams also scored the try of the match, with Tom Starling making a great break and putting in a perfect kick ahead for his captain. Maybe I was being a bit sentimental, but I rated him an 8/10 for the match. In Mounties' Round 1 win over the Blacktown Sea Eagles, Williams scored 16 points - a try and six goals. The NSW Cup was cancelled after Round 1, due to the pandemic.

Williams is contracted to the end of 2021. Wakefield Trinity hoped he'd leave early, recently offering him a three year deal starting next season. But he's just turned that offer down, opting to stay with family and friends in Australia - in a pandemic affected world - and hoping to do something special with the Raiders next season. Defence is not Sam's relative strength. But he's the best back up half in the business, a loyal club man, and I couldn't be happier he's staying.

Sam Williams' 2020

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 1
Average minutes: 79
Tries: 1
Goals: 5
Try assists: 1
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 2
Total kicks: 8
Kick metres: 192
Forced line drop outs: 1
Total runs: 4
All run metres: 43
Average metres per carry: 10
Average metres per game: 43
Tackle breaks: 2
Offloads: 1
Line breaks: 0
Line break assists: 0
Tackles: 15
Average tackles per game: 15
1 on 1 tackles: 2
Missed tackles: 6
Average missed tackles per game: 6
Ineffective tackles: 0
Tackle efficiency: 71 per cent
Try causes: 1
Line break causes: 3
Errors: 0
Penalties conceded: 0

Matt Frawley, 25, was born in Canberra and played his junior football with the Belconnen United Sharks and West Belconnen Warriors - as well as the Green Machine's junior representative teams. He captained the Raiders' National Youth Competition side in 2014, before joining the Canterbury Bulldogs in the following year. He played 31 games with the Dogs, after making his NRL debut in 2017 in the Round 5 clash with the Broncos. Frawley headed to the Huddersfield Giants in 2019, before returning to his home town in 2020.

He was initially signed by the Raiders on a development contract, but was soon added to the top 30. Frawley finally made his first grade debut in green in the Round 20 win over the Sharks, scoring a try to boot. I rated him a 7/10 for the match. His only other game was in the opening round of the NSW Cup. Frawley is signed to the end of next season, and provides some good depth in the halves.

Matt Frawley's 2020

Average minutes: 80
Tries: 1
Try assists: 0
Total try involvements: 1
Total kicks: 9
Kick metres: 260
Forced line drop outs: 1
Total runs: 3
All run metres: 20
Average metres per carry: 6
Average metres per game: 20
Tackle breaks: 3
Offloads: 0
Line breaks: 1
Tackles: 23
Average tackles per game: 23
1 on 1 tackles: 5
Missed tackles: 2
Average missed tackles per game: 2
Ineffective tackles: 1
Tackle efficiency: 88 per cent
Try causes: 0
Line break causes: 0
Errors: 1

Fullback Adam Cook, 20, joined the Raiders for the 2020 season from the Townsville Blackhawks - right after being named the Blackhawks' Under 20s Player of the Year. He was one of three players to make their NRL debut for Canberra in the Round 20 win over the Sharks. To be honest, he didn't make an immediate impact in that game - but it is one of the toughest positions on the field for a young player. I rated him a 5/10 for the game, but I don't think we can take too much out of that match.

Cook played off the bench in Round 1 of the NSW Cup - in Mounties' clash with the Blacktown Sea Eagles at Brookvale. He was named at five eighth for Canberra's first Jersey Flegg match of the year - but the Round 2 game did not take place due to the pandemic. He then spent the year in the "bubble", so Raiders fans have not had much chance to see him play in lower grades. But he's clearly impressed the club, as he has just been added to the Raiders' top 30 squad. He’s definitely with the club until the end of 2021, with the Raiders having an option in the club’s favour for 2022. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes in Jersey Flegg next season.

Adam Cook's 2020

Average minutes: 80
Tries: 0
Total try involvements: 0
Total kicks: 1
Kick metres: 15
Total runs: 6
All run metres: 32
Average metres per carry: 5
Average metres per game: 32
Tackle breaks: 0
Tackles: 5
Average tackles per game: 5
1 on 1 tackles: 1
Missed tackles: 5
Average missed tackles per game: 5
Ineffective tackles: 1
Tackle efficiency: 45 per cent
Try causes: 1
Errors: 1

Darby Medlyn, 21, comes from Parkes and is a graduate of the Raiders' 2019 Jersey Flegg Grand Final team. He joined the Raiders in 2018 and impressed at lock in Under 20s. He was also a part of the NSW Blues Under 20s team that beat the Maroons in 2019. He only played 18 minutes in his Round 20 NRL debut against the Sharks, but he played pretty well when on the field. I rated him a 5/10 for the match. He’s on a development deal until the end 2021. Hopefully he’ll get a lot more game time next season - as more experience in Canberra Raiders Cup or, preferably NSW Cup, will doubtless help his football.

Darby Medlyn's 2020

Average minutes: 18
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Total runs: 4
All run metres: 37
Average metres per carry: 9
Average metres per game: 37
Tackles: 14
Average tackles per game: 14
1 on 1 tackles: 1
Missed tackles: 3
Average missed tackles per game: 3
Tackle efficiency: 82 per cent
Line break causes: 1

Jarrett Subloo's 2020

Jarrett Subloo, 20, hails from Innisvale in north Queensland. He played his junior football with the Innisvale Leprechauns and in the Brisbane Broncos' junior system with the Norths Devils. Subloo joined the Raiders in 2016, first playing in SG Ball. The five eighth was a key member of the 2019 Jersey Flegg team that made the Grand Final - but Subloo missed the decider because of injury. He came onto the field very late in his Round 20 NRL debut against the Sharks, and played just a minute. He still made two runs and ended the year with the highest average metres per carry at the club! He was on a development contract that expired at the end of 2020, so his contract status is unclear for next season. He will however, still be eligible for Jersey Flegg next year, as it will become an Under 21s competition. I guess it is a case of watch this space.

Average minutes: 1
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Total runs: 2
All run metres: 22
Average metres per carry: 11
Average metres per game: 22
Tackles: 0
Average tackles per game: 0
1 on 1 tackles: 0
Missed tackles: 0
Average missed tackles per game: 0
Tackle efficiency: NA

Thanks to everyone who has read this year's series and joined in the discussions. Hopefully they can continue through the off season!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2020 in review - Stalwarts and debutants

Post by Matt »

These 2 are some of the best backup halves in the comp. Can complain about the depth here.
Glad to see both get their 1st's, a Captaincy cap and a debut.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I was genuinely surprised as how well Matt Frawley went in that cronulla game

We know Sam Williams to be a capable half for short stints in FG. So his performance was not surprising, but Frawley's was. He looked capable of filling in for a game or two and defending his position should be called on.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: December 2, 2020, 2:41 pm I was genuinely surprised as how well Matt Frawley went in that cronulla game

We know Sam Williams to be a capable half for short stints in FG. So his performance was not surprising, but Frawley's was. He looked capable of filling in for a game or two and defending his position should be called on.
Agreed. And while I’m the biggest Williams fanboi it is an odd 2 players to have in your top 30 as backups isn’t it. Most clubs would have one or the other.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

julian87 wrote:
Botman wrote: December 2, 2020, 2:41 pm I was genuinely surprised as how well Matt Frawley went in that cronulla game

Agreed. And while I’m the biggest Williams fanboi it is an odd 2 players to have in your top 30 as backups isn’t it. Most clubs would have one or the other.
I wasn't, he held his own at the dogs

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer