Post by irvste »

I'm with meannbad raps looks better than last year

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 2021 Trial V Roosters: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by dubby »

Rapa has really lost some pace, but that's been obvious for years now. The way he plays the game, no wonder. He broke his head, remember?

We need to improve our forward metre eating. Second phase got us back into that.

I thought Scott and Kris looked good. I really like Kris. Does everything right. Scott looked a bit better than last year.

Semi looked off. Some unforced errors.

Hors was dumb. He gave his spot to James

Starling good.

Sia got better

First 40 we beat the roosters in typical Raider fashion : second phase, up tempo play. Their pack outplayed ours when the grind was on

We can't grind. We need to play fast. Just our style.

We're a top 8 team, but we need our top players fit.

Lose a back, we're in doo doo
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dusty wrote:How did Hoppa go?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Carved up the cup trial, was solid for firsts

I was liking that both halves were linking up on both sides of the field, and Hodgo was playing a more pick, pass and run role.

I'm excited based on what I saw today

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Some quick thoughts
Ryan james is in our top 17 easy. Im amazed at the speed he gets to his feet after being tackled.
Josh hodgson sHoUlD jUsT pAsS tHe BaLl instead of beautifully playing what is in front of him. Played amazing with george and it frees wighton up to put himself where he wants. Spine in great shape.
Ryan sutton is the kind of player youd want in your team if you had to play 5 games back to back. Just keeps putting in
Curtis scott looked like he just belongs in first grade. As did seb kris. There must be ao much pride in around the club with the way kris has performed and we have a tough call to make on our last squad spot between he and hoppa.
Angus crightons off contract this year and we should be hat ring throwing
Papa fit
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Oh and rapa showed plenty of pace over the first 60. Clearly tired after the jinking run he put together to break through. Hard to rubbish his pace when running with the ball after that.
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

BadnMean wrote: February 27, 2021, 5:45 pm
twistedbydesign wrote: February 27, 2021, 5:33 pm Pretty encouraging performance all up. The first half was a decent standard of footy given the heat and the first run of the year.

In terms of the positions which remain up for grabs I'm not sure we learnt too much. As hrundi says all of the guys vying for a spot in the centres showed glimpses, though none of them really stood apart from the rest. Similarly for the remaining forward spots on the bench, though James getting through some good minutes could well see him end up in the 17 to take on the Tigers.

I do worry a little about a lack of genuine pace out wide. Great run from Rapa to get into the clear, but seeing him in open space for the first time in a while it looks like he's lost more than just a step.
Hmm I got the opposite impression from that run- the looked like the old, bouncy Rapana to create the break and then reeled out 50/60m of clean running and saw off one Morris before the slight ankle tap and being buggered after 60m saw him reeled in by the other Morris who spent last year reeling in every "flyer" in the game also.

That was streets ahead of what I've seen from Rapa in the last 18 months he was here. He actually got into space and took off, instead of labouring. And the getting into space is a thing too- when he's half busted he just can't bounce out and take off like that.
Yeah this is how i saw it. Bot rough complaining about your winger being tracked down after breaking through a relatively set defence
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Agree that Ryan James was pretty good and loved his quick PTB. But I thought Guler and Lui were even better. Lui showed some nice passes including a good draw and pass for the try and an excellent quick hands to put his centre into space.

Hors and Sutton did some good stuff but both made some silly mistakes in attack and defence.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

I normally like to see a win in a trial, but when the two A teams were on in the first half, the Raiders were the better side, pretty clearly. The Raiders started taking stars off from the 32nd minute... and it was the Rookie Raiders in the second half. Meanwhile, the Roosters ran quite a few top players in the second half, including Tedesco to the 60 something-th minute. Crichton was massive for the Roosters in the second half. Still, there was only six points the difference.

Really impressed with how Hodgson looked, Wighton was Wighton. Ryan James was impressive today; he's enhanced his chances of a spot in Round 1 in my view.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

simo wrote: February 27, 2021, 6:49 pm Ryan james is in our top 17 easy. Im amazed at the speed he gets to his feet after being tackled.
Seems to rarely be turtled. I agree with the comments of others on Seb Kris. Looked enthusiastic, fit, made an impact.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: February 27, 2021, 7:17 pm
simo wrote: February 27, 2021, 6:49 pm Ryan james is in our top 17 easy. Im amazed at the speed he gets to his feet after being tackled.
Seems to rarely be turtled. I agree with the comments of others on Seb Kris. Looked enthusiastic, fit, made an impact.
I came into the day looking forward to seeing how timoko played and i thought kris left he and hss well behind.
Dont delete this GE
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I think Seb Kris was definitely the biggest surprise today. Lots of traits that could add real value to our game. Seems to have OK speed as well. I feel he's gonna be in the 17 come round one. Given his size, I think there's great potential for him to be the outside back on the bench, with the ability to cover the edge if needed.

James I thought was solid without being spectacular. Not amazing impact at the line - reminded me a lot of Shillo. Quick PTBs are a big bonus. He's a good addition, should be there in the 17 come round one.

Hodgson apart from his weak effort on Collins looked like he hasn't missed a game. I watched him and his link up with the halves very closely, and saw that he was releasing it much quicker to them inside the 20. The crash ball is best when the defence is scrambling in the red zone or staggered. He did exactly that and picked his moment well.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I was concerned by CNK again - apart from a pass on one play. If Hodgo's utlising his ability to get a long ball out wide and quick, we've got more natural opportunities for set plays involving the backs. Still seems lost, having too much trouble being able to read the defence coming at him quickly enough and adjusting, or getting a pass away. He'll need to be on his toes I'd say.

Papa looked phenomenal. We could see him get even better. My God that hair looks good on him too.

Overall, really liked what I saw. Fingers crossed for the combination between our 6 7 and 9, and the development of our young outside backs.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: February 27, 2021, 3:31 pm
Ultima wrote: February 27, 2021, 3:30 pm
afgtnk wrote: February 27, 2021, 3:24 pm Don't think we've got any room for Tom Starling on the bench here, fellas.

Josh Hodgson in this kind of form doesn't come off or play any other position I'm afraid.
Starling is a great utility though, he can easily handle 2nd row so it's a battle between him and Havili but one of them will be there.
......... you think Tom Starling can play second row.

170cm, 80 something kg Tom Starling.

Ok.
Agree. Strange call considering we that we actually saw havilli switch out wide in the reggies trial where i thought he showed his versatility there.
Dont delete this GE
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

twistedbydesign wrote: February 27, 2021, 5:33 pm Pretty encouraging performance all up. The first half was a decent standard of footy given the heat and the first run of the year.

In terms of the positions which remain up for grabs I'm not sure we learnt too much. As hrundi says all of the guys vying for a spot in the centres showed glimpses, though none of them really stood apart from the rest. Similarly for the remaining forward spots on the bench, though James getting through some good minutes could well see him end up in the 17 to take on the Tigers.

I do worry a little about a lack of genuine pace out wide. Great run from Rapa to get into the clear, but seeing him in open space for the first time in a while it looks like he's lost more than just a step.
Hmm I got the opposite impression from that run- the looked like the old, bouncy Rapana to create the break and then reeled out 50/60m of clean running and saw off one Morris before the slight ankle tap and being buggered after 60m saw him reeled in by the other Morris who spent last year reeling in every "flyer" in the game also.

That was streets ahead of what I've seen from Rapa in the last 18 months he was here. He actually got into space and took off, instead of labouring. And the getting into space is a thing too- when he's half busted he just can't bounce out and take off like that.
That's interesting, mate. I saw the Rapa of old ducking and weaving out of tackles to create the break, but then struggling to find top gear once out in the open. I didn't have the best angle though so happy to go with your more positive take, and I definitely agree that the work in traffic itself was dynamic in a way we've rarely seen from Jordan in a couple of years. Let's hope he's in for a good season.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

twistedbydesign wrote: February 27, 2021, 7:27 pm

That's interesting, mate. I saw the Rapa of old ducking and weaving out of tackles to create the break, but then struggling to find top gear once out in the open. I didn't have the best angle though so happy to go with your more positive take, and I definitely agree that the work in traffic itself was dynamic in a way we've rarely seen from Jordan in a couple of years. Let's hope he's in for a good season.
Exactly what I saw. Old Rapa would've accelerated away once in the clear.

Morris is still quick, but the comparison we're making is to the Rapana of 3-6 years ago. That guy was very quick too, especially when he's out in the open. No way Morris catches old Rapa with the start he had on him.

Anyway, not much point debating his physical decline. It's pretty evident to most, but still, he's probably still good enough to be starting at this point.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I’ve just seen Kayo has the game on replay
Very excited for that! Just going to strap in now
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

simo wrote: February 27, 2021, 7:26 pm
afgtnk wrote: February 27, 2021, 3:31 pm
Ultima wrote: February 27, 2021, 3:30 pm
afgtnk wrote: February 27, 2021, 3:24 pm Don't think we've got any room for Tom Starling on the bench here, fellas.

Josh Hodgson in this kind of form doesn't come off or play any other position I'm afraid.
Starling is a great utility though, he can easily handle 2nd row so it's a battle between him and Havili but one of them will be there.
......... you think Tom Starling can play second row.

170cm, 80 something kg Tom Starling.

Ok.
Agree. Strange call considering we that we actually saw havilli switch out wide in the reggies trial where i thought he showed his versatility there.
I don't see where or how Starling is picked - despite the majority of the forum wanting him on the bench.

The weather will be warm/warm-ish, fitness levels still not up to scratch, big fellas will be blowing. Yet we're gonna take up one of the bench spots with a guy who's only able to play one position, that being the position of our captain and best player when in form? When we've got another guy more than capable of covering that spot, but also able to play well in the middle covering at least five other guys, capable of having a real impact there?

I've seen crazier things happen, but for me it's no chance.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: February 27, 2021, 7:36 pm I’ve just seen Kayo has the game on replay
I’ve just logged into NRL.com.au on the web browser on my smart TV. About to watch the replay... the pic is full screen and looks like HD. Correction, the ads look like HD, the game video looks pretty SD.
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

Horsburgh needs Master from beyond thunderdome sitting on his head
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
Botman wrote: February 27, 2021, 7:36 pm I’ve just seen Kayo has the game on replay
I’ve just logged into NRL.com.au on the web browser on my smart TV. About to watch the replay... the pic is full screen and looks like HD. Correction, the ads look like HD, the game video looks pretty SD.
Glad I went, had a look at a few videos and the it looks like it was filmed with a potato

simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

-TW- wrote: February 27, 2021, 7:59 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Glad I went, had a look at a few videos and the it looks like it was filmed with a potato

Commentated by a potato also
Dont delete this GE
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The centre battle is intriguing.

I thought Curtis' runs were strong and his defence solid. He is the incumbent (sort of) and will get first crack. Quite happy with that.

I had Timoko as my first choice for Croker's spot before today but Kris came out of nowhere to outplay him. However, I would actually pick HSS. His defence is the best of the lot and I think that puts him a nose in front. He's bulked up, which has also closed the gap on the other two in that regard. But I'm happy with whoever gets it. Nice to have so many options.

I think the second wing spot will go to Bailey because he's just that bit safer than Valemei. Valemei is powerful and more of a try threat but Bailey is a bit less likely to knock the ball on in his own 10 metre.

p.s. Horse is tapped. So many strong hits and great runs where he pushes for a few extra metres post-contact. But he alternated every good play with a dumb one. The shoulder charges are one thing but he gave away a couple of six-agains that were plain silly and at least one was followed by a Roosters try in the next set. I love the guy but he's got to reel that in.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 27, 2021, 7:46 pm
The quality is... not great
But you can see how it’s going

Agree with a lot of the comments. Don’t think I’ll watch the second half today

Hodgson absolutely dealing and working off a dominant middle unit
Surprised to see Hudson Young score a try one off the ruck 😂
James looked REAL good. Impressed with his line speed.
Thought Simo had some nice runs off our line which is one area I’ve heavily criticised him for previously
Scott looked professional and had some nice moments against a very good roosters edge

Nothing I saw from Rapana has eased my concerns. The break was great but there is not much speed and those tackle breaks I don’t think will be there in the season proper

Thought we defended quite well
Their first try was a bit flukey and their second I thought we’d already put the cue away for this trial
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm with you BadnMean, I thought Raps looked faster and better than he did last year. Have we all suddenly forgotten that Morris has made an art form out of chasing down every speedster in the league? Including much younger men than Raps?

I thought Scott looked promising and I think he's done enough to start at 4. If Croker misses games, Seb Kris takes his spot for sure. Bailey and Raps on the wings.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:Nothing I saw from Rapana has eased my concerns. The break was great but there is not much speed and those tackle breaks I don’t think will be there in the season proper
It was the slowest line break since Purtell ran 90 against us in 2010.

Even worse he was run down by an 85 year old Brett Morris

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: February 27, 2021, 8:10 pm
Botman wrote:Nothing I saw from Rapana has eased my concerns. The break was great but there is not much speed and those tackle breaks I don’t think will be there in the season proper
It was the slowest line break since Purtell ran 90 against us in 2010.

Even worse he was run down by an 85 year old Brett Morris

Had that vibe didnt it? :lol:
Raps will never be the game breaking superstar he was at his peak, but that's ok, his speed isnt coming back, his tackle breaking ability is going to be more a flash than a reliable game to game thing.. but if he can be safe, defend well, make some hard yards and get back to being a good finisher (last year he was imo, a below average finisher) then he'll do for one more year
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wow that's the fittest I think Papa has looked at this time of year, ever. I think all our boys looked in pretty good condition.

Didn't bother watching the 2nd half. If this quicker ruck continues Hodgson is going to be hard to stop. Scott looks like he's bulked up a little. Great to have the footy back.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fiery Canberra Raider Corey Horsburgh gets put on report twice as Sydney Roosters edge trial win

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson sees the similarities between himself as a young fella and Corey Horsburgh.

"He reminds me of myself when I was a little bit younger - probably a little bit more than I was," Hodgson said. "He wears his heart on his sleeve and probably sometimes it gets the better of him.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Canberra Raiders star Josh Hodgson now aiming for full 80 minutes

Josh Hodgson has now got his sights set on getting back to being an 80-minute player.

"[It was] pretty good mate, I was like a kid in a candy sweet shop today to be honest," he said. "I was a bit too excited this morning so tried pulling the reins back a little bit and I just really enjoyed getting out there again mate.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If Corey Horsburgh is charged on that second “on report” for a shoulder charge in the NRL trial... it would be downright ridiculous. I haven’t seen a replay of the other one yet.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I saw enough in that 1st half to give me confidence for the season. We've got a devastating set of middle forwards and a high class spine to take advantage. While we don't have the same quality out wide they are good enough to do the job when the guys inside are such a massive threat.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I watched both matches on Kayo and I didn't think either was clear that the Horspower arm was tucked in. Perhaps there is another angle which was not available to Kayo but the on field Refs didn't seem in any doubt. When I watched the first one, I thought it was just a good hit. I agree with you on the second one GE, not much in it from what I could see.

I am surprised that Rapa was again playing on the left wing. When he got into the clear he still carries the ball in his right arm. He is a natural right winger imo.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Thought HSS would be getting some more love. He put on some big hits and looked good with limited ball in hand. Hope we can re-sign him.
I thought Timoko looked a little lost in defense at times but there was a bit of a dogs breakfast inside him.

Expecting Kris to get the 3 if Croker is out. He looks like he can still defensively lock down a side and take some tough carries. That flick pass was great.
Scott was always going to be wearing the 4.

Rapana and Simonsson for the wing spots. Not a fan of Rapana still sitting on the left.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Is Seb Kris able to play first grade assuming no injuries on his current train and trial contract? Do we have room in the top 30 for him? Perhaps GE could provide some info? On today’s performance I have him in the #3 jersey aswell.

So happy he’s been able to bounce back after what I assume was a very difficult year for him last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There is one spare spot in the top 30. Kris would need to take it to play would be my understanding.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Timoko is the one I had pinned to take Crokers spot if he was unavailable. Kris being named there and the way he played yesterday , to me is the front runner now. He was very good. I also thought HSS showed he is going to be a good player too. Just behind Kris yesterday . Timoko was quiet and slipped down the order for mine.
It was great to see Hodgo , looked like he never missed any games , straight back into it. And Young , we have a good one there . By seasons end it might be Johnny who
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I talked up Kris after the first game. He was a surprise packet but I think Smith Shields was the best centre barring Scott on the day.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.