2020 in review - Emre Guler

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the twenty fourth instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Nick Cotric, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Michael Oldfield, Jack Wighton, George Williams, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling, Siliva Havili, Dunamis Lui, Sia Soliola, Ryan Sutton, Hudson Young, Elliott Whitehead, John Bateman, Corey Harawira-Naera, Joe Tapine and Corey Horsburgh.

Emre Guler forced his way into the Canberra Raiders top 17 on the eve of the 2019 finals, and went on to play in his first Grand Final, aged just 21. He made just 11 appearances last year, but finished the season with selection in the Under 23s Kangaroos team, that played France in Wollongong. That said a lot about the potential of a very young prop forward - and many were expecting him to have a big impact in 2020. Unfortunately, injury intervened.

Guler played just eight NRL games in the season just passed, one at starting prop and the remainder off the bench. He suffered a fractured ankle in the Round 8 win over the Dragons, which ultimately ruled him out for the remainder of the season. It was hoped he'd be able to return prior to the end of the regular season, but that proved to be too optimistic.

He lifted his average minutes in 2020 to 42 per match, compared with 22 in 2019. Most of Guler's statistics improved as a result. This year, he averaged just under 100 running metres per game, compared with 53 in 2019. He ranked fourth for average metres gained amongst the Raiders forwards, behind Josh Papalii, Joe Tapine and Ryan Sutton. His running metres per carry (8.8) fell, but only slightly - and he wasn't far behind the likes of Papalii and Tapine in that department. He scored his first NRL try in the Round 1 win over the Titans at Canberra Stadium.

Guler's defensive workload also increased. He averaged 24 tackles per match, compared with 13 in 2019. His tackle efficiency rate, however, fell (to 87 per cent, from 89 per cent in 2019). Only Corey Harawira-Naera had a lower tackle efficiency rate amongst the Raiders forwards. That's something that Guler will no doubt be working on this off season.

I rated him an average of 6.1/10 for his eight games (5.3/10 in 2019). I rated him a "7" in three matches, the opening two rounds, plus the Round 7 golden point loss to the Eels. His best game was probably the Round 1 clash with the Gold Coast, when he scored that first try. He also produced a try assist, a line break, four tackle breaks, 139 running metres and 19 tackles. He picked up his two Fans' Choice points for 2020 for that match. Guler's top running metres gained (141) came in the Round 5 win over the Tigers, while his top tackle count (37) came in the Round 7 match up with the Eels.

All up, it was a bright start for Guler this year - so it was a great shame that he spent more than half the season on the sideline. It is looking like the depth in the Raiders' forwards will be very strong in 2021, so Guler will face a lot of competition for a place in the top 17. Coach Ricky Stuart will be forced to make some tough choices next year, particularly if he is to balance youth with experience in his pack. But based on his 2020 numbers, it is hard to see a fit Guler missing a spot on the bench.

Guler is off contract at the end of 2021, so he can currently negotiate with other clubs for 2020 and beyond. However, it is reported that he's set to sign a two year contract extension with the Green Machine - and it is certain that the club sees Guler as a big part of the future. He has huge potential, so I'm keen to see him have a big year, free of injury, in 2021.

How did you rate Emre Guler's 2020? Tell us below.

Emre Guler's 2020: 4.5/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 8
Average minutes: 42
Tries: 1
Try assists: 1
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 2
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Total runs: 90
All run metres: 793
Average metres per carry: 8
Average metres per game: 99
Tackle breaks: 6
Offloads: 1
Line breaks: 1
Line break assists: 1
Tackles: 194
Average tackles per game: 24
1 on 1 tackles: 11
Missed tackles: 15
Average missed tackles per game: 1.9
Ineffective tackles: 14
Tackle efficiency: 87 per cent
Try causes: 0
Line break causes: 1
Errors: 2
Penalties conceded: 2
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2020 in review - Emre Guler

Post by Matt »

Like Horse, Guler was playing amazing footy til he broke his ankle. Probably not quite Origin level, but I do see it in his future, as I feel like he was on a Paul Vaughan like rise. Really like the young prospect in our pack.

Was probably playing at a 7-8 level in the games he played, but 8 games hurts. So 4-4.5 is probably fair for the season.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

He was absolutely killing it. Those 8 games plus the trial were superb.

Don’t forget he kept Dunimus Lui out of the side. Nami played origin this year.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think he's a real talent who if he cant stay injury free in 2021 will establish himself as one of the best young middle forwards in the game
In terms of 2020, if you ignore the missed time, id have him at a 7.5/10. But it seems we punish injuries in this thing so a 6/10 is probably where i'd have landed
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

really like emre and hope he continues his good form. great mx of size, athleticism and kebabs for the boys
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep Guler is developing very nicely. He brings a lot of positives.

His only negatives. I’d like to see him get into position in defence a bit quicker and not get caught on the ground around the ruck quite so often.

This is an area that most Storm forwards do well, and something Papa, Soliola and Lui do well for us.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think with some work he is a future Rep player. He makes good meters and has a very low error rate. He is young and part of his development has to be in defence. Unfortunate he broke his ankle and I hope it does not give him long term problems. Easy 7/10 for me and I hope he extends his Raiders contract.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I like him as a prospect but not sure I see Origin or Test Football in his future. I hope to be proven wrong.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sucks so bad that he got injured right when he was hitting his straps. Looking forward to seeing what he brings next season.

Wouldn't surprise at all to see him in the starting lineup on a regular basis.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: November 27, 2020, 3:21 pm I like him as a prospect but not sure I see Origin or Test Football in his future. I hope to be proven wrong.
That's a high bar to clear, 99% of footballers never play rep footy of that level.
However if he does not acheive that level, it wont be ability or talent that denies him.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: November 27, 2020, 8:25 pm
Wiki Special wrote: November 27, 2020, 3:21 pm I like him as a prospect but not sure I see Origin or Test Football in his future. I hope to be proven wrong.
That's a high bar to clear, 99% of footballers never play rep footy of that level.
However if he does not acheive that level, it wont be ability or talent that denies him.
For sure, no knock on a player who does not play Origin or Tests. Everyone who makes the NRL has accomplished something huge. I just get the vibe the consensus on the forum is that he'll develop into an Origin player (keep seeing Paul Vaughan comparisons).