2021 Canberra Raiders draw

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

simo wrote: December 1, 2020, 1:48 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 1, 2020, 1:45 pm
simo wrote: December 1, 2020, 1:38 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 1, 2020, 12:30 pm
simo wrote: December 1, 2020, 11:08 am im as disgusted as the rest of you that the raiders need to travel further to play against sydney teams than other sydney teams do.
That misses the actual concern. The concern is the NRL deliberately structures the draw so Sydney teams play Sydney team more often, while putting out of Sydney teams against each other more often. It’s clearly driven by the desires of Channel Nine, and it shouldn’t be happening, in my view. It ensures Sydney teams have a travel advantage they wouldn’t have with more random pools of teams. I think it’s a reasonable concern myself... and we saw how important it was this year. Hopefully travel arrangements can be a lot better next year.
Whats the total distance that other teams have to travel to play us? You would complain id we had to play the bulldogs at home 15 times in a season. Its just a draw
This shows you: https://nothingbutleague.com/2020/11/29 ... -analysis/

It would “just a draw” if there was a level playing field applied in constructing it. But there’s not. There are very deliberate policies being adopted by the NRL which favour some clubs over others. They have a commercial driver, as their FTA TV broadcaster demands it. But I’m not going to sit back and pretend it’s not a disadvantage to our team. And I’m pretty sure the Raiders agree with me on it, too.
i cant see where it shows it. it shows other teams totals, but id like to see distance to games against us.
the club wants a better draw that benefits them? shock me. youre so in sync with them.
Google Maps will be your friend. Plug in directions to Canberra from Townsville, Auckland, Melbourne etc by flight or road and it’ll give you the answer for each club. The clubs which come do that trip once per year. The key issue is the total travel burden for each club over the year, however, which is shown at the link.
Image
User avatar
simo
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9292
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: December 1, 2020, 3:15 pm
simo wrote: December 1, 2020, 1:48 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 1, 2020, 1:45 pm
simo wrote: December 1, 2020, 1:38 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 1, 2020, 12:30 pm

That misses the actual concern. The concern is the NRL deliberately structures the draw so Sydney teams play Sydney team more often, while putting out of Sydney teams against each other more often. It’s clearly driven by the desires of Channel Nine, and it shouldn’t be happening, in my view. It ensures Sydney teams have a travel advantage they wouldn’t have with more random pools of teams. I think it’s a reasonable concern myself... and we saw how important it was this year. Hopefully travel arrangements can be a lot better next year.
Whats the total distance that other teams have to travel to play us? You would complain id we had to play the bulldogs at home 15 times in a season. Its just a draw
This shows you: https://nothingbutleague.com/2020/11/29 ... -analysis/

It would “just a draw” if there was a level playing field applied in constructing it. But there’s not. There are very deliberate policies being adopted by the NRL which favour some clubs over others. They have a commercial driver, as their FTA TV broadcaster demands it. But I’m not going to sit back and pretend it’s not a disadvantage to our team. And I’m pretty sure the Raiders agree with me on it, too.
i cant see where it shows it. it shows other teams totals, but id like to see distance to games against us.
the club wants a better draw that benefits them? shock me. youre so in sync with them.
Google Maps will be your friend. Plug in directions to Canberra from Townsville, Auckland, Melbourne etc by flight or road and it’ll give you the answer for each club. The clubs which come do that trip once per year. The key issue is the total travel burden for each club over the year, however, which is shown at the link.
For which outlying teams will have the largest travel total. You’re genuinely complaining that canberra is further from sydney then sydney.
Dont delete this GE
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

simo wrote: December 1, 2020, 4:50 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 1, 2020, 3:15 pm
simo wrote: December 1, 2020, 1:48 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 1, 2020, 1:45 pm
simo wrote: December 1, 2020, 1:38 pm

Whats the total distance that other teams have to travel to play us? You would complain id we had to play the bulldogs at home 15 times in a season. Its just a draw
This shows you: https://nothingbutleague.com/2020/11/29 ... -analysis/

It would “just a draw” if there was a level playing field applied in constructing it. But there’s not. There are very deliberate policies being adopted by the NRL which favour some clubs over others. They have a commercial driver, as their FTA TV broadcaster demands it. But I’m not going to sit back and pretend it’s not a disadvantage to our team. And I’m pretty sure the Raiders agree with me on it, too.
i cant see where it shows it. it shows other teams totals, but id like to see distance to games against us.
the club wants a better draw that benefits them? shock me. youre so in sync with them.
Google Maps will be your friend. Plug in directions to Canberra from Townsville, Auckland, Melbourne etc by flight or road and it’ll give you the answer for each club. The clubs which come do that trip once per year. The key issue is the total travel burden for each club over the year, however, which is shown at the link.
For which outlying teams will have the largest travel total. You’re genuinely complaining that canberra is further from sydney then sydney.
No I’m not. You are fundamentally misunderstanding my point if you think that.
Image
User avatar
gergreg
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9034
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by gergreg »

Bay53 wrote:
RedRaider wrote: November 26, 2020, 1:13 pm I thought the NRL was reducing the number of 5 day turn arounds. As you say we have 3 for season 2021:
24/4 v Cowboys then 29/4 v Souths. July will be interesting: 3/7 v Titans then 8/7 v Manly and 17/7 v Sharks then 22/7 v Eels.
Looking at the 5 day turnarounds, Souths get one extra day, Manly also have a 5 day turnaround and Parra have one extra day.

Whilst the 5 day turnarounds are not easy, I would have thought for the players and fitness staff, they do provide an opportunity. After all three of those Thursday games we don't play until the following Saturday meaning there is a 9 day turnaround for the next match. Play Saturday, recover well, have a limited preparation, play the Thursday and then you are rewarded with a couple of days off and probably not required back to training until Monday.

Not a bad trade off to get a few days off in what is a very long, tough season both physically and mentally.
I think a more important factor with turnarounds is how it compares with your opponents. I started laying out some data on Sunday morning but then there was a power outage and I lost it.

But from what I remember (and will revisit when I get a chance) the evidence was inconclusive if one team has a one day advantage over its opposition - in days turnaround. But when a team starts having a 2 day turnaround over their opponent they are much more likely to win. Hopefully I can get some numbers this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk


Last edited by gergreg on December 1, 2020, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11917
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by gangrenous »

simo wrote: For which outlying teams will have the largest travel total. You’re genuinely complaining that canberra is further from sydney then sydney.
It’s not hard.

He’s saying that yes there’s a natural discrepancy through the location of the teams, and that it is exacerbated by a draw which preferences matchups between Sydney teams over random selection.
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6251
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by Bay53 »

Clearly the Sydney teams are going to play more games in their home city, the simple fact that there are more teams based there means that, but the point is correct that Sydney match ups are prioritised.

What we also know is that Sydney teams have often chosen us to be the away team when they take home games away from Sydney. The Raiders have stated that they actually prefer this. The article that GE has linked seems to indicate that there is a disadvantage playing away games in Newcastle, Auckland and Melbourne, compared to playing in Sydney.

I would contend that the Raiders don’t think like that. Of course we would like to play all the games at home, but I don’t think it really matters whether we are in Sydney, Brisbane/Gold Coast or Melbourne. Of course Google Maps will say it was longer in kms but in actual travel time it makes little difference.

If you look at how many times the NSW/ACT based teams leave NSW/ACT the results for 2021 are:

Raiders 6
Penrith 4
Parra 5
Roosters 6
Souths 5
Newcastle 6
Tigers 5
Dragons 3
Manly 4
Bulldogs 6

Of course some of these trips are because Sydney teams have chosen to play interstate. Penrith, Parra and Dragons have the advantage of playing Titans, Warriors and Storm respectively “away” at Magic Round which in many ways combines 2 travels into 1.
User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8335
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by afgtnk »

gangrenous wrote: December 1, 2020, 5:27 pm
simo wrote: For which outlying teams will have the largest travel total. You’re genuinely complaining that canberra is further from sydney then sydney.
It’s not hard.

He’s saying that yes there’s a natural discrepancy through the location of the teams, and that it is exacerbated by a draw which preferences matchups between Sydney teams over random selection.
..... Because that's what has to be done in a cut throat professional sporting landscape such as the one our code operates in, as it maximises things like broadcast revenue (i.e grows the pie).We then get equal share of that revenue.

Potentially millions of dollars aren't going to be sacrificed just so the Canberra Raiders or any other regional team are kept happy by having Sydney teams travel more, under the guise of 'fairness'.
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11917
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:
gangrenous wrote: December 1, 2020, 5:27 pm
simo wrote: For which outlying teams will have the largest travel total. You’re genuinely complaining that canberra is further from sydney then sydney.
It’s not hard.

He’s saying that yes there’s a natural discrepancy through the location of the teams, and that it is exacerbated by a draw which preferences matchups between Sydney teams over random selection.
..... Because that's what has to be done in a cut throat professional sporting landscape such as the one our code operates in, as it maximises things like broadcast revenue (i.e grows the pie).We then get equal share of that revenue.

Potentially millions of dollars aren't going to be sacrificed just so the Canberra Raiders or any other regional team are kept happy by having Sydney teams travel more, under the guise of 'fairness'.
.......Which is a completely separate argument to the one simo is making in the quoted post.

Also it wouldn’t be under the guise of fairness in air quotes you goose. It would be actual fairness.
User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8335
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by afgtnk »

gangrenous wrote: December 1, 2020, 8:32 pm
afgtnk wrote:
gangrenous wrote: December 1, 2020, 5:27 pm
simo wrote: For which outlying teams will have the largest travel total. You’re genuinely complaining that canberra is further from sydney then sydney.
It’s not hard.

He’s saying that yes there’s a natural discrepancy through the location of the teams, and that it is exacerbated by a draw which preferences matchups between Sydney teams over random selection.
..... Because that's what has to be done in a cut throat professional sporting landscape such as the one our code operates in, as it maximises things like broadcast revenue (i.e grows the pie).We then get equal share of that revenue.

Potentially millions of dollars aren't going to be sacrificed just so the Canberra Raiders or any other regional team are kept happy by having Sydney teams travel more, under the guise of 'fairness'.
.......Which is a completely separate argument to the one simo is making in the quoted post.

Also it wouldn’t be under the guise of fairness in air quotes you goose. It would be actual fairness.
I'm not addressing what he's said, I'm addressing what you claim GE means - which I gather seems to be your position also.

And no, it wouldn't be fairness. It's not fair on the game in this country as a whole, at every level, whose interests are meant to represented by the Commission and who are reliant on funding by the governing body just like we are, to sacrifice big money just so that one team at the very top of the tree like us can be a little more cushy.

Suck it up princess and stop whinging. We aren't the only mouth that needs to be fed.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

Why should our club simply roll over and accept unfair treatment? It is the Commission’s job to run a fair and equitable competition. It is up to them to work out broadcast arrangements that don’t disadvantage some clubs and significantly advantage others. Other sports have found solutions and alternative ways, and are doing better financially. It’s NRL mismanagement to deliver anything less than a fair competition and poor broadcasting deals.

The Raiders are hardly at “the top of the tree”. They haven’t won a premiership in 25 years. They’ve been treated like a backwater by the NRL and Sydney for a long time, and the poor treatment has damaged the club financially and in terms of support.

No one should have to “suck up” poor, inequitable treatment. Ricky Stuart has refused to and I’m glad he’s been vocal about it. And I’m going to be too. I’m constantly surprised that our own supporters sarcastically sneer at others, when they’re simply pointing out the unfair treatment of our club.
Image
User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8335
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by afgtnk »

The Commission's job is to run the entire game in Aus. The NRL is a part of that - it does not comprise the entire thing. Debate how well you think they do it all you want, but that's what it is.

And in the context of the entire game, here and worldwide, taking into consideration all the different levels, we are absolutely at the very top of the tree.
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11917
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:
gangrenous wrote: December 1, 2020, 8:32 pm
afgtnk wrote:
gangrenous wrote: December 1, 2020, 5:27 pm
simo wrote: For which outlying teams will have the largest travel total. You’re genuinely complaining that canberra is further from sydney then sydney.
It’s not hard.

He’s saying that yes there’s a natural discrepancy through the location of the teams, and that it is exacerbated by a draw which preferences matchups between Sydney teams over random selection.
..... Because that's what has to be done in a cut throat professional sporting landscape such as the one our code operates in, as it maximises things like broadcast revenue (i.e grows the pie).We then get equal share of that revenue.

Potentially millions of dollars aren't going to be sacrificed just so the Canberra Raiders or any other regional team are kept happy by having Sydney teams travel more, under the guise of 'fairness'.
.......Which is a completely separate argument to the one simo is making in the quoted post.

Also it wouldn’t be under the guise of fairness in air quotes you goose. It would be actual fairness.
I'm not addressing what he's said, I'm addressing what you claim GE means - which I gather seems to be your position also.

And no, it wouldn't be fairness. It's not fair on the game in this country as a whole, at every level, whose interests are meant to represented by the Commission and who are reliant on funding by the governing body just like we are, to sacrifice big money just so that one team at the very top of the tree like us can be a little more cushy.

Suck it up princess and stop whinging. We aren't the only mouth that needs to be fed.
It’s not my argument. I can see why it’s done.

But simo saying it’s nothing more than geography, and you claiming it’s some faux fairness when the context is a discussion on equality of travel is Bull.
User avatar
simo
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9292
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: December 1, 2020, 4:57 pm
simo wrote: December 1, 2020, 4:50 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 1, 2020, 3:15 pm
simo wrote: December 1, 2020, 1:48 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 1, 2020, 1:45 pm

This shows you: https://nothingbutleague.com/2020/11/29 ... -analysis/

It would “just a draw” if there was a level playing field applied in constructing it. But there’s not. There are very deliberate policies being adopted by the NRL which favour some clubs over others. They have a commercial driver, as their FTA TV broadcaster demands it. But I’m not going to sit back and pretend it’s not a disadvantage to our team. And I’m pretty sure the Raiders agree with me on it, too.
i cant see where it shows it. it shows other teams totals, but id like to see distance to games against us.
the club wants a better draw that benefits them? shock me. youre so in sync with them.
Google Maps will be your friend. Plug in directions to Canberra from Townsville, Auckland, Melbourne etc by flight or road and it’ll give you the answer for each club. The clubs which come do that trip once per year. The key issue is the total travel burden for each club over the year, however, which is shown at the link.
For which outlying teams will have the largest travel total. You’re genuinely complaining that canberra is further from sydney then sydney.
No I’m not. You are fundamentally misunderstanding my point if you think that.
distance (one way) opposition teams are forced to travel to play the raiders in 2020 = 12636.9km
the article you linked has us having to travel 12k. im assuming thats one way also.
we get our advantage when we play at home and lose it when we play away. and it looks like it balances because the evil nrl forces us to play away games
Dont delete this GE
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

You're basically saying that the distance for any club to an away ground is the same in reverse. With all clubs having home and away games the travel burden is therefore equal. That would be true if every team played each other twice in a season. Or once, and the venues were reversed every second year.

In practice, we know the travel burdens are not the same. The issue I'm expressing concern about emerges because every team does not play every other twice... and the NRL aims for the maximum number of "Sydney derbies" in deciding which teams play each other twice. So the "natural" expected differences in travel required for more far flung teams are accentuated by that policy.

If the NRL had a policy of randomly deciding the "pools" of teams that play each other twice each year it would be about as fair as you can expect in the circumstances. There would be some "swings and roundabouts". But they don't do that... they favour Sydney teams with travel burdens every single year.

There are some bells and whistles. Some teams choose to play in Perth or Darwin, some at country venues, some have multiple home grounds, and then there is "Magic Round".

I don't know where you're math comes from. But we're on different planes of logic... and I'm not raising concern with the issue you say I am.
Image
User avatar
simo
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9292
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: December 2, 2020, 8:19 am You're basically saying that the distance for any club to an away ground is the same in reverse. With all clubs having home and away games the travel burden is therefore equal. That would be true if every team played each other twice in a season. Or once, and the venues were reversed every second year.

In practice, we know the travel burdens are not the same. The issue I'm expressing concern about emerges because every team does not play every other twice... and the NRL aims for the maximum number of "Sydney derbies" in deciding which teams play each other twice. So the "natural" expected differences in travel required for more far flung teams are accentuated by that policy.

If the NRL had a policy of randomly deciding the "pools" of teams that play each other twice each year it would be about as fair as you can expect in the circumstances. There would be some "swings and roundabouts". But they don't do that... they favour Sydney teams with travel burdens every single year.

There are some bells and whistles. Some teams choose to play in Perth or Darwin, some at country venues, some have multiple home grounds, and then there is "Magic Round".

I don't know where you're math comes from. But we're on different planes of logic... and I'm not raising concern with the issue you say I am.
My maths showing that our travel is roughly equal to the travel other teams have to endure to face us? Yeah i can see how thats confusing.
Dont delete this GE
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

I'm just saying, I don't know where your math comes from. But even if that were correct, it would be a very poor indicator of relative travel burdens between clubs... it is basically meaningless.

The extension of your logic is this... the Canberra Raiders play the Penrith Panthers twice in a season, once at Canberra Stadium, once at Panthers Stadium. Conclusion: the relative travel burden of the two clubs in a season is the same. But clearly the travel burden faced by those two clubs over the season is not the same... for the reasons I've just explained at length.
Image
User avatar
simo
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9292
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by simo »

oh, it was easy - i just "Google Maps will be your friend. Plug in directions to Canberra from Townsville, Auckland, Melbourne etc by flight or road and it’ll give you the answer for each club."
im sorry, but i dont buy into your poor me narrative. we play in a competition where we play against other teams in that competition and our closest opponent is 232km away.
Dont delete this GE
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

I’m sorry, but your logic is flawed. I can keep explaining it, but that’s not going to be productive.
Image
User avatar
simo
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9292
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by simo »

nothing flawed about it. our location impacts other clubs as much as it impacts us. yes we travel further over the course of the year, but again, thats because we are the ones out of the center mass of teams. we play a good mix of games against top and bottom teams. you have no logic about what you are saying. you only have biased opinion
Dont delete this GE
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11917
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by gangrenous »

gangrenous wrote: It’s not hard.

He’s saying that yes there’s a natural discrepancy through the location of the teams, and that it is exacerbated by a draw which preferences matchups between Sydney teams over random selection.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

So I decided to do the math, just for the record... to calculate the distance the Raiders will need to travel to away games, and the distance away teams will have to travel to the Raiders home games, in 2021. I had some spare time watching the cricket.

Where teams will travel by bus, I've taken into account between the home grounds of the two teams. Where teams will travel by air, I've taken into account the flight distance for the legs that teams would normally take between the cities, plus travel from the airport to the ground at which the game will be played.

I've said I don't think this is a good indicator of relative travel burden between clubs... but I've been told it is... and that the numbers will be about the same.

These distances are one way... obviously, the total travel is double that.

Travel for away teams to Canberra's home games: 7,350 kms
Travel to away games for Canberra: 11,786 kms

The numbers are partly affected by Magic Round. The Bulldogs are being forced to travel to Brisbane for a home game. If you assume that the Raiders played the Bulldogs in Sydney, rather than Lang Park, the Raiders would have to travel 11,100 kms to their away games.

The numbers are also affected by the decisions of clubs to take their home games "away". The Roosters are taking us to Perth, while we are taking the Knights to Wagga. It could be argued the NRL has encouraged both teams to do so... but it is probably driven by their own commercial decisions. It is therefore doubtful that we should adjust for that too. But even if you assume that the Raiders game in Wagga is an "away" game, and that the away game against the Roosters was played at the SCG (because the venue changes were encouraged by the NRL) the Raiders would still be travelling 8,521 kms to their away games.
Image
User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8335
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by afgtnk »

Draw is absolutely fine mate, really. We're not being especially hard done by.

The comp isn't going to go to the nth degree to try and make things 'fair', so best we live with it - we are nowhere near the worst ones off. Let's hope the club continues to focus on what is within the sphere of their own control, because that is what is important - not this.
User avatar
papabear
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6429
Joined: August 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Location: redfern

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by papabear »

TBH I think strength of schedule has a bigger impact then travelling.

Also days prep compared to opposing teams days prep as others have mentioned, which is where the broncos get an advantage.

I would happily see us fly to brisbane every thursday and take on the broncos each week.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

Just pointing out some factual information. I've made my point more generally as to why the NRL's policies regarding the draw are not fair... because of the way they go about structuring it. I recognise a draw can never be perfect, and there can never be "equal" outcomes. If you decide to have things like a "Magic Round" it adds to drawbacks for various teams... unless you're the Broncos of course. But the methodology for determining the draw at present, institutionalises advantages for Sydney teams... and it simply shouldn't.
Image
User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8335
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by afgtnk »

Why shouldn't it?

This is a game born out of the Sydney competition. Half the teams are in Sydney. Broadcast money forms the majority of the game's revenue, like most professional sports, and Sydney is by far the biggest advertising market in the country. It's those Sydney match ups that ultimately help to drive revenue into the game to run it, and allow it to be more competitive on arguably the most competitive professional sporting landscape in the world. Having a regional team travel more does not and should not outweigh that, especially since these are all just assumptions that the more travel you do, the more adverse effect it has on performance - we benefit equally from that revenue.

I understand the 'perfect world' scenario thinking. This isn't a perfect world. There are big commercial realities at play here, and unless people have way around navigating those in the near future, it'll stay like that for the greater good.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

It is the National Rugby League, not the Sydney Rugby League or NSW Rugby League. I've countered those points already, so I won't repeat them.
Image
User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 32349
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by -TW- »

And how do you propose making it "fair"

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

The simple thing to do would be to revert to pools of teams that play each other twice... based on the previous year’s ladder. Or use a random selection technique, which changes every year.
Image
User avatar
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20239
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by -PJ- »

Let’s just play all others twice.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
User avatar
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1440
Joined: January 25, 2007, 10:33 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Sydney

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by hrundi89 »

greeneyed wrote: December 2, 2020, 5:58 pm It is the National Rugby League, not the Sydney Rugby League or NSW Rugby League. I've countered those points already, so I won't repeat them.
It's Sydney plus a bunch of non-Sydney teams. You're denying history and tradition.

The Sydney-centric nature of the league is entirely understandable and explained by others.

Maybe the Raiders should play all their games at Bankwest just to be "Fair".
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

hrundi89 wrote: December 2, 2020, 7:26 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 2, 2020, 5:58 pm It is the National Rugby League, not the Sydney Rugby League or NSW Rugby League. I've countered those points already, so I won't repeat them.
It's Sydney plus a bunch of non-Sydney teams. You're denying history and tradition.

The Sydney-centric nature of the league is entirely understandable and explained by others.

Maybe the Raiders should play all their games at Bankwest just to be "Fair".
:shock: :roll: :lol:
Image
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29365
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by Botman »

Travel parity can never and will never be possible in any national, or even east coast competition. The teams where the clusters are will always win out on that. Nothing can really be done about it.

The double edge sword of that is, and i know there apparently some conversation where the NRL said if the tore it down and started again we wouldnt be in, but dealing with reality, we're in and we're not going anywhere... where as the pressure is and is going to start really mounting as we go forward on that cluster, there are clubs right now in the competition that will not be here in 20 years time. We arent one of them.

We're in a commercially viable position, we're in a key strategic position and we have no competition anywhere near us.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: December 2, 2020, 7:19 pm Let’s just play all others twice.
That would work too... except the season would be too long, without cutting teams. Or just once... but the season would be too short, without expansion teams.
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134437
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: December 2, 2020, 7:34 pm Travel parity can never and will never be possible in any national, or even east coast competition. The teams where the clusters are will always win out on that. Nothing can really be done about it.
I’ve readily acknowledged that... if you play only some teams twice... and that is not the concern I’ve raised. Unfortunately, some people in the conversation aren’t grasping it.
Image
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29365
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2021 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: December 2, 2020, 7:39 pm
Botman wrote: December 2, 2020, 7:34 pm Travel parity can never and will never be possible in any national, or even east coast competition. The teams where the clusters are will always win out on that. Nothing can really be done about it.
I’ve readily acknowledged that... if you play only some teams twice... and that is not the concern I’ve raised. Unfortunately, some people in the conversation aren’t grasping it.
And extending the draw to a 30 round season is utterly unreasonable, so you cant play everyone twice, the physical toll of the season is too much. And bring it down to a 15 rounds would cost the game an insane amount of money and no one, not clubs, players, tv networks etc would sign off on it.

So i ask you, what's the solution then?

(p.s the answer is divisions... equalise it within clusters of certain teams)
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
Post Reply