Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson has eyes set on round one return

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star hooker Josh Hodgson has his sights set on a round one return if his reconstructed knee continues to respond as well as it has been.

"It's coming along really well to be honest. I've been running for a while now," Hodgson said. "Hopefully I can start my change of direction next week. So it's all pretty much on track. I should be back at the start of the year really.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson has eyes set on round one return

Post by -PJ- »

Geez I’d love a season or two of a fully fit Hodgo.

He’s a fantastic dummy half.

See ya rnd 1 champion.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

A 30 year old hooker that's had 2 knee recos would usually be cause for concern.

I have confidence in our little Pommy though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Good morning dub..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

We all hope the best for him but I'm worried... Azza level worried... his lateral movement was never great and there is even more focus on being fit and agile defending that middle late in halves now with speedy fullbacks and mobile locks zipping through there vs retreating lines.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yes, maybe less rushing out of the line from Hodgo and more focus on delivering good clean ball and his kicking game ala Cameron Smith. The rest will hopefully come with fitness. Injuries and age are not on his side.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

after seeing what happened to campo, i am a bit worried about him and his contract.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Massive difference, Campo blew his knee in year one of a five year deal where we carried him busted for the majority of that deal.

Hodgo has had effectively 5 good seasons out of 6, with 2 to go (noting out for first half of 18, back half of 20)

So if he ends up a cripple when he returns, we aren't carrying him for the majority of a contract

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

obviously different contracts different teams.

but you are going to struggle to win a premiership in the NRL with 10% of your salary cap on your best player losing his mobility to be effective.

and these two years we are in a premiership potential winning window, campo years we werent really.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Campese's game primarily revolved around running, and he defended in a position needing a lot of lateral agility. Totally different situation. Hell, Hodgo pre-injury is probably struggling to even be as agile as Campo post-injury.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

gut feeling is that the game is now too quick for him and his over involvement in attack will nullify the huge progress of jack and george in the halves. Everyone will be screaming for Starling to start but stubborn ricky will persist with hodgo until a leg falls off.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I don’t think Hodgson’s game is built on speed, it’s built on making the right passing, running and kicking decisions and attracting the attention of the defence.

I also don’t think Hodgo played to his usual standard last year and he held the ball up way too much, but I still think he has a lot to offer. Starling coming on around the 30th minute will scare opposition forwards. Hodgson gives us a structure to worry well drilled defences like Storm.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

BJ wrote: November 23, 2020, 3:00 pm I don’t think Hodgson’s game is built on speed, it’s built on making the right passing, running and kicking decisions and attracting the attention of the defence.

I also don’t think Hodgo played to his usual standard last year and he held the ball up way too much, but I still think he has a lot to offer. Starling coming on around the 30th minute will scare opposition forwards. Hodgson gives us a structure to worry well drilled defences like Storm.
I think he will struggle in defense with the ruck speed. He'll be a 6-again magnet trying to slow down their p-t-b
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hodgo will be absolutely fine, ya bunch of cowards
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: November 23, 2020, 4:41 pm Hodgo will be absolutely fine, ya bunch of cowards
Well if Nickstradamus reckons he’ll be ok, then I’m on board.

All hail Hodgo leading us to premiership victory!!!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Belcher#1 wrote: November 23, 2020, 3:17 pm
BJ wrote: November 23, 2020, 3:00 pm I don’t think Hodgson’s game is built on speed, it’s built on making the right passing, running and kicking decisions and attracting the attention of the defence.

I think he will struggle in defense with the ruck speed. He'll be a 6-again magnet trying to slow down their p-t-b
Exactly. My post wasn't at all about his attacking speed- I backed him to be smart enough to adapt. Specifically I mentioned his ability to handle the more and more frequent examples of fast fullbacks and mobile locks zipping in behind the ruck vs a retreating defence. It's not an if now, it's a when.

I'm not so much him being a 6 again magnet- just if you are slightly off balance or half a step behind the Teddy's, Papenhuyzens, Cam Murray's or even Young's of the quicker game then you are toast. Brushed off.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Not sure if everyone saw this making the rounds on social media:

John Davidson (@johnnyddavidson) Tweeted:
Wayne Bennett was not a fan of Josh Hodgson’s kicking game... https://t.co/71aVA6LAoR https://twitter.com/johnnyddavidson/sta ... 35462?s=20
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Hodgo is a gun and we use him different to most dummy halves. He is our playmaker , game is built on his good footy smarts.

I wonder how we use Starling and Hav with Hodgo there.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

TongueFTW wrote: November 24, 2020, 6:36 am Not sure if everyone saw this making the rounds on social media:

John Davidson (@johnnyddavidson) Tweeted:
Wayne Bennett was not a fan of Josh Hodgson’s kicking game... https://t.co/71aVA6LAoR https://twitter.com/johnnyddavidson/sta ... 35462?s=20
I'm on record before as saying that tour was abysmally coached and you could see it in the zero response Bennett got from good players- looked restricted and joyless.

That clip much sums up why Bennet had absolute guns like Whitehead, Bateman and Hodgo looking like they hated every minute of it and couldn't play footy. Wayne didn't realise what he had. Played Jackson Hasting overs GWilly all series- that tells me all I need to know.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Was Wayne a fan of his crash ball?