2020 in review - John Bateman

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the twentieth instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Nick Cotric, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Michael Oldfield, Jack Wighton, George Williams, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling, Siliva Havili, Dunamis Lui, Sia Soliola, Ryan Sutton, Hudson Young and Elliott Whitehead.

John Bateman joined the Canberra Raiders from the Wigan Warriors in 2019, and made an instant impact on the National Rugby League. He was a high profile recruit, an England representative - a nominee for the "Man of Steel" award and a premiership winner with the Wigan Warriors in 2018. But the extent of his impact - on the Canberra Raiders and the competition - still surprised many. He ended the year with a Grand Final appearance and a deserved Dally M Second Rower of the Year award. He was the choice of most commentators and fans as the "buy of the season".

Fast forward one year, and Bateman has departed the club - released a year early - and is about to return to England and Wigan. It's an outcome that probably neither the Raiders nor Bateman really wanted, though Bateman is no doubt very happy to be re-uniting with his daughter and his family - after a year of separation caused by the pandemic. Bateman's contract negotiations for a new deal at the Raiders were protracted and messy, and at the least, did not reflect well on Bateman's agent, Issac Moses. Better deals with other NRL clubs did not eventuate. And in the end, returning to Wigan and family and friends in England was the best result for Bateman.

It was a difficult year for John Bateman in other ways too. He had to have an operation on his shoulder early in the year, and then a second one. At times, he feared his shoulder might never be right. It kept him on the sidelines until August. He returned in the Round 12 clash with the Cowboys in Townsville and went on to make 11 appearances, all in the second row. The only game he missed after his return from shoulder surgery was the Round 20 clash with the Sharks, with coach Ricky Stuart resting a host of his stars.

Given Bateman played less than half the season this year, it is difficult to compare his statistics with 2019 and his second row peers. But he probably made less impact in attack in 2020 than in 2019. He still finished equal third amongst the Raiders forwards for total try involvements (7), behind Elliott Whitehead and Tom Starling. His average running metres fell to 89 per match (105 in 2019), ranking sixth amongst the Raiders forwards. He also ranked ninth for metres per run. His average tackle breaks fell from three per match in 2019 to 1.7 in 2020 - but he still ranked third amongst the Raiders forwards in that department.

Bateman was just as good in defence this year than in 2019, probably better. He ranked second for average tackles per match amongst the Raiders forwards, behind Josh Hodgson. His tackle efficiency rose to an impressive 94 per cent, second only to Josh Papalii and level with Joe Tapine. He was inside the top 10 NRL second rowers for average tackles per match, and not far off the benchmark second rowers for tackle efficiency.

I rated him an average of 7/10 through the season (7.5 in 2019), with his overall season rating affected by his low number of appearances. I rated him an "8" twice, first in his return match against the Cowboys in Round 12. In that game he produced 16 runs for 158 metres, 69 post contact metres, one line break assist, one try assist and 31 tackles. He also rated an "8" in the Round 14 win over the Broncos. He scored a try and delivered 13 runs for 143 metres, 27 post contact metres, one line break, one try assist and 33 tackles. He picked up points in Fans' Choice Player of the Year voting in both those games. Unfortunately, his form fell away a bit towards the end of the season.

Bateman didn't reach the height of his 2019 form this year. But, very clearly, the Canberra Raiders have been a better team with John Bateman, than without him. He simply hates to lose and he brought a winning edge to the side. He was a big factor in the Raiders making their first Grand Final in 25 years. He is a bit of a lovable rogue, and he connected quickly with the fans. Losing him from the club was disappointing for the fans, but the manner of it made it all the more disappointing. The positive for John Bateman is he will soon be back with family. And I'm certain every Raiders fan will wish him the best for his future.

How did you rate John Bateman's 2020? Tell us below.

John Bateman's 2020: 6/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 11
Average minutes: 80
Tries: 3
Try assists: 2
Try contributions: 2
Total try involvements: 7
Total kicks: 9
Kick metres: 105
Forced line drop outs: 2
Kick errors: 1
Kicks dead: 1
Total runs: 119
All run metres: 982
Average metres per carry: 8
Average metres per game: 89
Tackle breaks: 19
Offloads: 10
Line breaks: 1
Line break assists: 2
Tackles: 376
Average tackles per game: 34
1 on 1 tackles: 36
Missed tackles: 13
Average missed tackles per game: 1.2
Ineffective tackles: 11
Tackle efficiency: 94 per cent
Try causes: 2
Line break causes: 4
Errors: 6
Penalties conceded: 7
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Re: 2020 in review - John Bateman

Post by afgtnk »

I think teams wised up to him a lot from last season, which reduced his efficacy considerably. One linebreak in 11 games is a telling sign. For that reason, I don't think his loss is anywhere near what it would've perceived to have been had he left at the end of 2019.

Given he's a guy who isn't a noted hole or decoy runner, I think CHN may be able to service the needs of the team better on that edge over the longer term now that George is here. That said, he's a class player who'd get into pretty much any team here or in the UK.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dont think his shoulder was ever right this year, it was noticeable to me how much he carried it at times. Wasnt quite as impactful with the ball in hand this year, and defensively he was not up to his 2019 standard but his impact on the team overall and it's mentality is to me undeniable.

I'll be curious, and frankly a little nervous to see how the team looks next year without him, particularly defensively and our line speed/intensity.
Ive said it before and ill say it again, this guy in 2 seasons became one of my all time favourite raiders players. Love his attitude, love his cheek on the park, love his chaos, and love his competitive spirit. I'll really miss watching him play for the us.

6.5/10 is probably a fair score
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Given the injury, off the bat ill say 6 is probably a fair score.

We are going to miss Jonneh baaaaaaaaaaad next yr. He was a winner and he willed his teammates over the line on more than 1 occasion in the past 2 yrs. His D on the edge was superb too. Not a fan of the contract BS, but he became a favorite of mine in that 80mins on debut, at lock, vs the Titans last yr.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Tough season for Bateman. At his best he is a solid defender and a world class x-factor in attack.

His two best games were against the 14th and 16th ranked teams (and the worst two defensive teams in the comp). He averaged 150m with the ball in those two games and about 75m a game in the other 9 he played this season. Kinda sums it up for me.

I didn't expect a great deal from JB this season to be honest. All the signs were there at the end of 2019 that his head wasn't in the right spot and that played out in a very messy public shemozzle of a contract negotiation, which was messed up on all levels. His bung shoulder and the ridiculous decision to eventually have surgery in February didn't help matters. Although he was a bit more reliable in defence once he got into the swing of things post-surgery.

I wish him all the best in the future. I'm sure he'll kill it back in the English comp.

6/10 for me as he was mostly solid in defence. Nowhere near his best.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

5 from me

Didn't blow the game apart like he did last year, but didn't let anyone down either

Will be a loss but confident we will fill the hole

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote: November 20, 2020, 3:36 pm 5 from me

Didn't blow the game apart like he did last year, but didn't let anyone down either

Will be a loss but confident we will fill the hole

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm quietly confident we can improve markedly in attack on that right edge next season. Bateman and Scott really struggled for most of the year and it took an injury to Hodgson for Williams to get his fair share of the ball. It's quite remarkable we got as far as we did with so many issues in attack on that side of the field.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I don't think he blew anyone away on the pitch this year. A decent year, but not great.

It no coincidence, though, that the Raiders found a winning consistency when he came back.

Someone needs to drive those standards.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

MrPosh wrote: November 20, 2020, 5:15 pm It no coincidence, though, that the Raiders found a winning consistency when he came back.

Spot on. That's my major worry. I think on some level there is reason to think we'll get more in attack and less in defence from CHN filling his role, it's a different kind of player, CHN is not going to be a lock down defensive player, he'll concede some tries and breaks but i think will suit us better in attack and should give us plenty more than he loses us.

but that intangible, that winners mentality, the will to win, to compete, win at all costs and to set the standard. I worry about that with losing JB. This team was different with him in the line up. He brought something evidently no one else could. Someone else i going to have to step up and to set the standard of effort, drive and competitiveness in 2021
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: November 20, 2020, 7:02 pm
MrPosh wrote: November 20, 2020, 5:15 pm It no coincidence, though, that the Raiders found a winning consistency when he came back.

Spot on. That's my major worry. I think on some level there is reason to think we'll get more in attack and less in defence from CHN filling his role, it's a different kind of player, CHN is not going to be a lock down defensive player, he'll concede some tries and breaks but i think will suit us better in attack and should give us plenty more than he loses us.

but that intangible, that winners mentality, the will to win, to compete, win at all costs and to set the standard. I worry about that with losing JB. This team was different with him in the line up. He brought something evidently no one else could. Someone else i going to have to step up and to set the standard of effort, drive and competitiveness in 2021
Yeah I agree with The Posh and The Pig here.

Overall I'll remember his time here positively. One ripper year where he really showed what it took to compete at the pointy end and took the league by storm. Second year interrupted in various ways but still made a contribution. Also a big personality with a bit of scallywag (is that the British larrikin?) in him. We have a lot of "earnest toiler" types in the pack in personality terms- Papa, Sia, Guler, Hodgo, Lui etc. You need a maniac or pest or two in there as well. Johnny was both- he took on Kikau to make a statement (busted himself, but bravo lad) and was just fun to watch and a menace to others.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

2020 wasn’t up to he’s lofty standards set the previous year but still very good.

This guy oozes class, he’s a follow my lead kind of guy.

6.43/10

* Well never forget the 2019 season and what impact Bateo had on it. I wish him all the best in the future.
Footy and family etc..

Thanks John Bateman.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm going to miss Jonneh. What a quality player.

I was really annoyed with his contract saga, but that's Isaac Moses for you.

I think his loss will be notable, especially his dogged winning mentality.

All the best John

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Good morning dub..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Morning Peej

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Playing with a shoulder that didn't seem quite right with different players on the right edge, contract disputes, wanting to go home to see his family but stuck due to the pandemic. 2020 was very different to 2019 in so many ways. 6/10 which is not too bad as he only played half the matches. I wish him well back in England.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

His confidence helped us to becoming a force again, but that some confidence saw him over play his hand in attack almost every time.

It will be interesting I think CHN sees us pretty much move sideways, better in attack, worse in defence.