2020 in review - Elliott Whitehead

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the ninteenth instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Nick Cotric, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Michael Oldfield, Jack Wighton, George Williams, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling, Siliva Havili, Dunamis Lui, Sia Soliola, Ryan Sutton and Hudson Young.

Elliott Whitehead appeared in 22 of 23 Raiders games this season, starting in each of them in the second row. I rated him 6.6/10 during the course of the season, but he finished fifth for total points, not far behind my top two players, Josh Papalii and Jack Wighton. For the first time, he shared in the Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Player of the Year - with Papalii, Wighton and George Williams - in an incredible four way tie. His overall rating for the season reflects that.

He's underrated by many commentators. His coach Ricky Stuart says that "he's the most underrated footballer in the competition." Perhaps I've been guilty of that too, in my own ratings. I rated him an "8" in one game, the Round 19 win over the Warriors. In that game, he produced eight runs for 103 metres, one try assist, one tackle break, 17 tackles and three kicks for 48 metres. Whitehead was just terrific filling in in the halves, after an early injury to George Williams. He was slammed into the ground in one tackle in the second half, and it shook him. He ended up throwing up on field, but he got to his feet and continued on. The match said a lot about his courage and character, as well as his skill with the ball in hand. Not many forwards can fill in, in the halves.

Whitehead received "man of the match" honours in three matches in Fans' Choice voting - the win over the Warriors, the Round 6 loss to the Sea Eagles and the Round 8 win over the Dragons. Whitehead also picked up Fans' Choice points in three other matches (Round 5 V Tigers, Round 7 V Eels, Round 9 V Storm).

Against the Sea Eagles, he scored a try and made 10 runs for 102 metres, 21 post contact metres, two line breaks and 44 tackles. That was probably his best performance statistically. Against the Dragons, he made a number of critical tackles and very nearly set up a try in the first-half. He left the field for an HIA, after copping a poke in the eye from team mate Emre Guler. He came back on and helped steady the ship in the final minutes. It was after that game that his coach labelled him the most underrated player in the NRL.

"He went back on, he's a tough player. I have all the admiration in the world for Elliot," Stuart said.

"A lot of the stuff he does goes unnoticed but it doesn't go unnoticed by myself. That was my message to him at halftime. He doesn't like compliments but I told him I don't miss what he does."

No forward at the Raiders produced more total try involvements (14) than Whitehead in 2020, and he was equal first, with Papalii, for tries scored. He also ranked first for try involvements amongst his NRL second row peers. He was equal second for line breaks amongst the NRL second rowers, behind Villiame Kikau. He was, however, well down the list of second rowers for running metres, metres per run and tackle breaks.

Whitehead ranked first for total tackles at the Raiders, and sixth for average tackles per match. He essentially maintained his defensive workload in 2020 - and his tackle efficiency rate. His average missed tackles per game were roughly the same as 2019, but his try causes rose from six in 2019 to 10 this year. He ranked in the top 10 NRL second rowers for most tackles... but also first for missed tackles. His tackle efficiency rate was not in the top 20 second rowers - and only Corey Harawira-Naera, Emre Guler and Josh Hodgson had a lower rate at the club. It is tougher defending on the edge... and the bottom line is his tackle efficiency probably won't ever change much. The high number of missed and ineffective tackles come with Whitehead's high defensive work load.

I said earlier that I was possibly one of those people who had underrated Elliott Whitehead in 2020. In my own defence, however, I rated him a "7" in most weeks, and never lower than a "6". He's an incredibly consistent player and he was definitely in my top five Raiders of 2020. The manner in which he stepped up as an on field leader, in the absence of Josh Hodgson, really impressed me. He virtually became the vice-captain.

Late last year, Whitehead was re-signed by the Raiders to the end of 2022. He's hoping he can continue playing beyond 2022. He also plans on hanging up the boots as a Raider.

"I've still got two more years, I'll be hanging around for a bit longer. So I'll see how my body is in two years. But I'd like to finish my career here," Whitehead said as the finals loomed this year.

"Canberra have been great with me and hopefully I'm still performing well enough to extend when my contract comes to an end in two years. But it's a long way away yet."

"When I first came here I always said, nah, I’d stay here for two years then go home, but I’ve been here for five years now and I love it. Me and my missus are just going through residency now."

"So I’ll be looking probably to stay here once my career finishes and I’d like to get involved in coaching."

There is no doubt Raiders fans everywhere would love to see that. In the meantime, he'll be one of the first forwards picked, and certainly, in 2021, the first second rower picked.

How did you rate Elliott Whitehead's 2020? Tell us below.

Elliott Whitehead's 2020: 8/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 22
Average minutes: 79
Tries: 5
Try assists: 4
Try contributions: 5
Total try involvements: 14
Total kicks: 7
Kick metres: 110
Kick errors: 1
Total runs: 178
All run metres: 1455
Average metres per carry: 8
Average metres per game: 66
Tackle breaks: 21
Offloads: 9
Line breaks: 9
Line break assists: 3
Tackles: 623
Average tackles per game: 28
1 on 1 tackles: 66
Missed tackles: 57
Average missed tackles per game: 2.6
Ineffective tackles: 23
Tackle efficiency: 89 per cent
Try causes: 10
Line break causes: 6
Errors: 17
Penalties conceded: 11
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2020 in review - Elliott Whitehead

Post by Northern Raider »

Whitehead was outstanding this season. Form was as.good as its ever been for the Raiders. I do think the tough schedule took it's toll on him near the end of the the season. He was off his game at the back end and I think built up fatigue was the biggest factor.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

looked like he was playing on fumes in the last month. Hope next season there are some games he can be rested or benched in the second half so he's firing coming into finals
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

His last month or so wasn't very good. Its like he used up what was left in him playing half-back for George. He is otherwise 'Mr Consistent' though. Gets through so much dirty and unseen work. I think im happy with the 8, but that last month makes me wonder if its a 7.5.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

love him, favourite player since his 1st game in 40° heat.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I think everyone has just about summed it up. Might be worth getting him a couple of rests at some stage- although in a normal season, with byes and so on around origin time he probably will get those rest weeks anyway.

What was heartening to me is that he had a vintage attacking season. For a long time he was leading whole comps 2nd rowers for line breaks (finished = 2nd), he leads the nrl for TTI for 2nd rowers. We all know his defensive value, he can hit hard + the workrate and just always seems to be the first to a loose ball. The fact his attack was among his best ever years shows he's not losing much at all yet.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

bonehead wrote:love him, favourite player since his 1st game in 40° heat.

Who was it that said he was rubbish after that game?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: November 19, 2020, 4:24 pm

Who?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Love that ****. Good call back
Put that in his clown shoes

Not his finest end to the year, but the guy has been a god damn trooper for so long. I love the bloke. Love him. Not sure many miles left in the tank :(
But this a ride him until he runs clean out and stops moving sort of guy. He's that good
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:

Love that ****. Good call back
Put that in his clown shoes

Not his finest end to the year, but the guy has been a god damn trooper for so long. I love the bloke. Love him. Not sure many miles left in the tank :(
But this a ride him until he runs clean out and stops moving sort of guy. He's that good
yeah I'll be really down when he's done, we know he'll blled the last drop lime green

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Machine.

3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Northern Raider wrote:Whitehead was outstanding this season. Form was as.good as its ever been for the Raiders. I do think the tough schedule took it's toll on him near the end of the the season. He was off his game at the back end and I think built up fatigue was the biggest factor.
Agree completely.

I love this guy. Extremely underrated player.

8/10

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: November 19, 2020, 12:16 pm Whitehead was outstanding this season. Form was as.good as its ever been for the Raiders. I do think the tough schedule took it's toll on him near the end of the the season. He was off his game at the back end and I think built up fatigue was the biggest factor.
Yeah, I totally agree with that. He looked absolutely knackered by the end of the season.

At 31 he isn't getting any younger, but should still have a few good seasons left in him. With Bateman gone, I think Stuart will have a challenge on his hands to manage EW's minutes. I don't necessarily think he should be out there for 80 minutes every game any more.

I thought he was outstanding when our season was on the line midway through the year. As players were dropping like flies he really stood up and delivered.

7.5/10 for me. I just think the last couple of games demonstrated how hard 2020 was for the likes of Whitehead, who turned up every single game.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The wonderful thing about Smelly and his age is this is not a player that is reliant on physical attributes.
He's not overly strong or fast. He's not a power player, he's not an athlete

He's a footballer. He wins on being smarter than his oppositon, at knowing where to be, what to do and how to do it. He wins on skill. He understands the game on a different level. Those skills will diminish but at a steadier decline than the physical.
Think he has probably 2 more seasons of pretty high level footy in him
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Yeh 2 more years for the Smelly one.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

There is something wrong with the stats. 57 missed tackles over 22 games is 2.6 missed tackles per match. His end of season form dipped from the time he came out and said the Raiders would not be resting any players before the finals and then within days Sticky had rested half the squad for the final match. I love his instinctive plays and kick aheads. One of the best and most durable players in the squad. He is a player who gives his all every week. Had some handling errors late in the season which were unusual for him. 7.5/10
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: November 21, 2020, 2:37 pm There is something wrong with the stats. 57 missed tackles over 22 games is 2.6 missed tackles per match. His end of season form dipped from the time he came out and said the Raiders would not be resting any players before the finals and then within days Sticky had rested half the squad for the final match. I love his instinctive plays and kick aheads. One of the best and most durable players in the squad. He is a player who gives his all every week. Had some handling errors late in the season which were unusual for him. 7.5/10
Fixed.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Elliot emptied the tank.