2020 in review - Ryan Sutton

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the seventeenth instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Nick Cotric, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Michael Oldfield, Jack Wighton, George Williams, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling, Siliva Havili, Dunamis Lui and Sia Soliola.

Ryan Sutton joined the Canberra Raiders from the Wigan Warriors on a two year deal in 2019. He had a good debut season in the NRL and was particularly strong when given an opportunity in the starting team. But he ended up missing the top 17 during the finals.

"Missing out on those last three games and the grand final it's really given me a kick up the ****," he said later.

That experience had a lasting impression on him, and drove him during the off season, throughout 2020. His efforts certainly paid off. He missed the opening two rounds... and a calf injury suffered at training kept him out of the team when the season resumed in Round 3. He returned in Round 5 and kept his place in the top 17 for the rest of the regular season. Sadly, he suffered an MCL injury in the Round 20 "Rookie Raiders" win over the Sharks. He was ruled out for the rest of the season, missing Canberra's finals campaign.

Sutton won the Coaches' Award this year, at a Meninga Medal presentation like no other in the history of the club. Only players and coaching staff, those part of the "bubble", could attend. Ricky Stuart was emotional when presenting the award to the English prop.

"The 2020 winner of the Coaches' Award has handled set back after set back," Stuart started, haltingly. "He's got a wonderful character and...".

Stuart's voice cracked. He paused and then quickly finished.

"I really felt for him last week," he said before calling forward Ryan Sutton to the podium.

It was wonderful to see how much Ricky Stuart cared about the plight of his player, after he'd worked so hard.

I rated Sutton 6.6/10 on average through the season (6.4 in 2019). I rated him an "8" in two matches, the Round 15 win over the Titans and the Round 17 loss to the Roosters. Against the Titans, he made 21 runs for 205 metres, 91 post contact metres, 25 tackles and posted 96 per cent tackle efficiency. And then against the Roosters he produced 20 runs for 168 metres, 65 post contact metres and 39 tackles for a 95 per cent tackle efficiency rate. He picked up points in both those games in Fans' Choice Player of the Year voting, as well as the Round 5 win over the Tigers.

Sutton made 16 appearances in 2020, three at starting prop, one at lock and the remainder on the bench. His average running metres per match lifted significantly (from 79 in 2019, to 100 per game in 2020). Only Josh Papalii and Joe Tapine averaged more running metres per match amongst the Raiders forwards. Sutton is not the sort of player who makes a lot of tackle breaks, line breaks or offloads. But he works hard. He ranked equal sixth for average tackles per match in the Raiders' pack, with his workload in defence increasing slightly this year. His tackle efficiency rate (91 per cent) was around the same as 2019, though his average missed tackle count rose slightly. He ranked fifth for missed tackles per game amongst the Raiders forwards, but conceded only one try cause. His error count halved in 2020, and he remained fairly disciplined in terms of penalties conceded.

Late last year, Sutton re-signed with the Raiders to the end of 2022. As mentioned earlier, he is at his best when he's starting. He's still fairly young for a middle forward - aged 25 - and he's now just coming into his prime as a prop. I think he'll be a serious challenger to the veterans, Sia Soliola and Dunamis Lui, as a starting prop partner for Josh Papalii in 2021. There are others young challengers too - the likes of Corey Horsburgh and Emre Guler. But certainly, Sutton's 2020 season has enhanced his claims.

How did you rate Ryan Sutton's 2020? Tell us below.

Ryan Sutton's 2020: 6.5/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 16
Average minutes: 45
Tries: 0
Try assists: 0
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 0
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Total runs: 200
All run metres: 1603
Average metres per carry: 8
Average metres per game: 100
Tackle breaks: 8
Offloads: 3
Line breaks: 0
Line break assists: 0
Tackles: 452
Average tackles per game: 28
1 on 1 tackles: 30
Missed tackles: 26
Average missed tackles per game: 1.6
Ineffective tackles: 14
Tackle efficiency: 91 per cent
Try causes: 1
Line break causes: 5
Errors: 6
Penalties conceded: 7
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2020 in review - Ryan Sutton

Post by Matt »

I really thought, in the back end of yr #2, something had triggered in Sutto. He finally found his groove at this level. That Titans game, he was eminence! So, when he got injured, a wk before finals, in what was a nothing game, and thus missing out for the 2nd yr running, was tragic. I really thought he had a good year. 6.5-7 for mine.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He seemed to get his head around how tough it would be and the need to be turning up every week this year. Seemed a little bit more aggressive in his defence and runs. He was up for it- I think he had something to prove to himself.

He's a solid player. Another one going to be giving Ricky headaches about how to fit them all in next year because he stood up when needed in 2020.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

This guy has the perfect game for the one Stick wants to play: tough, big motor, makes good metres, not very adventurous with the ball. Hard to see him not on the bench next season, especially now since he seems to have become a favourite of the coach.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'd almost written him off as an NRL player. Thought he couldn't adjust to the pace of the game. Proved me wrong there. Reckon he'll only get better from this point on.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Always been very bullish on him, think he was massively underrated in his first season with us. You dont play the amount of games he did in FG, even in the ESL if you're not pretty damn good.

He definitely took his game to another level this year, he's in a dog fight for a spot in FG with a VERY stacked middle. But i think he's proved he belongs as an NRL fg, and frankly he's a very good one. If we cant find a spot for him, someone else will.

7/10
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I think the biggest thing for him was how he stepped up when the others were injured.

His best games were when he was central to leading the pack, rather than just another middle.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

was actually fit, huge difference.
I've probably got him still as the middle I'm leaving out for Hors and Guler though

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

A very good season from Sutto.

Fit..

I’ve him in my 17 next year..with Redhorse.

We are stacked and some very handy players will miss out week to week.

6.87/10
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Good, solid player

6.5/10

33/56 gangers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 17, 2020, 6:47 pm Always been very bullish on him, think he was massively underrated in his first season with us. You dont play the amount of games he did in FG, even in the ESL if you're not pretty damn good.

He definitely took his game to another level this year, he's in a dog fight for a spot in FG with a VERY stacked middle. But i think he's proved he belongs as an NRL fg, and frankly he's a very good one. If we cant find a spot for him, someone else will.

7/10
How do you have us lining up next yr? Coz Im struggling to fit him in.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Form and injury will help determine that.

The good thing about depth is that it pushes players to train, rehabilitate and play harder and better

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Right now i have it:
8. Papalii 9. Hodgson 10. Guler 11. CHN 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine
14. Starling 15. Hors 16. Young 17. Sutton

I think Lui and Sutton is close and i could see arguments for both.
Sia or James are firmly on the outside looking in for me.

And look, that's 8 forwards and Lui/Sutton headache probably sorts itself out pretty quickly because it's hard to imagine you're going to be a FULL strength team beyond 1-2 games, you'd have to think one of those 8 will wind up hurt or suspended most weeks so whoever is the loser of that battle would to get a ton of games anyways

But full strength, I know Lui had a really good season and has developed into a very good dependable player, but i've got Guler, Hors, Sutton and Young all ahead of him. I think they're all better players than him.

The tough thing Stuart is a veteran player coach. He's spoken often about how much Lui brings to the team on and off the park. So i think he'll get the nod over Sutton. James and Sia are also players that Stuart is going to find it very hard not to have in the line up... so who makes way if he goes that route? The reality of this league right now is if we're playing Lui, James and Sia, it means 3 of Hors, Guler, Sutton and Young are not in FG. And they're too good not to be in FG, and they'll either be playing FG here, or elsewhere.

I'd like it to be here. If im going to risk someone being upset about play RG and wanting out, it's Lui (31), James (29, off back to back ACLs) and Sia (34) not Hors (22), Guler (22), Young (22) and Sutton (25)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 18, 2020, 9:09 am Right now i have it:
8. Papalii 9. Hodgson 10. Guler 11. CHN 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine
14. Starling 15. Hors 16. Young 17. Sutton

I think Lui and Sutton is close and i could see arguments for both.
Sia or James are firmly on the outside looking in for me.

And look, that's 8 forwards and Lui/Sutton headache probably sorts itself out pretty quickly because it's hard to imagine you're going to be a FULL strength team beyond 1-2 games, you'd have to think one of those 8 will wind up hurt or suspended most weeks so whoever is the loser of that battle would to get a ton of games anyways

But full strength, I know Lui had a really good season and has developed into a very good dependable player, but i've got Guler, Hors, Sutton and Young all ahead of him. I think they're all better players than him.

The tough thing Stuart is a veteran player coach. He's spoken often about how much Lui brings to the team on and off the park. So i think he'll get the nod over Sutton. James and Sia are also players that Stuart is going to find it very hard not to have in the line up... so who makes way if he goes that route? The reality of this league right now is if we're playing Lui, James and Sia, it means 3 of Hors, Guler, Sutton and Young are not in FG. And they're too good not to be in FG, and they'll either be playing FG here, or elsewhere.

I'd like it to be here. If im going to risk someone being upset about play RG and wanting out, it's Lui (31), James (29, off back to back ACLs) and Sia (34) not Hors (22), Guler (22), Young (22) and Sutton (25)
I see it very similarly to you TBH.
I think it will be 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson 10. Lui 11. CHN 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine
14. Havili/Starling 15. Hors 16. Young 17. Guler

I too would rather see the old blokes missing out, not the young guys. While I think he will be fit by Rd 1, there could be reason to filter Horse back given his injury, thus making this an easier call, but that plays into the 'not all fit/ avaliable' part of your post.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, at 25 he's just coming into his prime. Last year he had a few errors in him (including unforced ones), which were largely eliminated this season with 6 errors from 16 games.

His tackle efficiency rate is great, his metres are good and metres per carry improving. He's either ahead or on par with Lui in all those key categories, but doesn't provide any real trick shots like ball playing, offloads or strips.

In short he does a pretty simple job quite well. Great player to come off the bench. 6.5/10
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I reckon 4 of the starting jerseys in the pack are set.

Papa, Hodgo, Whitehead and Taps.

Right now..CHN has work to do. He has a foot in the door.

But it’s all win/win. There’s competition for spots and the boys will fighting for a very ugly jersey.

Papa, Hodgo, Guler, CHN, Whitey and Taps to start.
Bench- Hors, Sutton, Young and either Havili/Starling.

And then there’s Liu, Sia, and RJames.

I don’t know what’s best..Over to you Stick.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

Pretty hard to leave out a QLD rep forward
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »