2020 in review - Josh Hodgson

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the twelvth instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Nick Cotric, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Michael Oldfield, Jack Wighton, George Williams and Josh Papalii.

Josh Hodgson spent half of the 2018 season on the sidelines, after suffering an ACL injury in the 2017 World Cup semi final between England and Tonga. And sadly, Hodgson again missed half of the 2020 season due to another ACL injury - this time, affecting his other knee.

In a disastrous few minutes in the Round 9 match against the Melbourne Storm, Hodgson fell awkwardly to the ground while attempting a tackle on Cameron Smith. That was quickly followed by the incorrect sin binning of Bailey Simonsson - and then a Storm try that cost the Raiders the match. That loss would ultimately prove to be the difference between the Raiders finishing in third, rather than fifth, and a valuable second bite at the cherry in the finals.

But the loss of Josh Hodgson, the Raiders' co-captain and chief play maker, was even more devastating news for the Raiders. The fact that the Green Machine was able to recover and go onto contest a Preliminary Final says a lot about the courage and determination of the team - and the efforts of substitute hooking duo of Siliva Havili and Tom Starling.

I rated Hodgson an average of 6.2/10 over his nine appearances season, with a "7" being the highest. All of his ratings of "7" came in the first three rounds. He picked up two points in Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Player of the Year voting in the Round 3 victory over the Storm. In that game, he produced four runs, all from dummy half, for 32 metres, 37 tackles, five kicks for 134 metres, one forced line drop out and one 40/20 kick. His top tackle count (53) came in the Round 7 golden point clash with the Eels, while he also topped 50 tackles the following week, against the Dragons. His highest running metres gained (61) also came against the Dragons.

All of Hodgson's statistics for 2020 are heavily affected by the low number of matches he played, and it is difficult to make comparisons with 2019. His numbers for try assists and try involvements were understandably well down - but they were also down on a per match basis.

He ran less from dummy half in 2020 (just over one DHR per game, compared with two in 2019) and his average running metres per game halved (13 metres per game, compared with around 25 metres in 2019). Given the rule changes introduced in Round 3, designed to speed the ruck, that's a little surprising. Most hookers were more likely to take the option of a dummy half run this year. He tended to kick less as well (around three per game, compared with four in 2019), and produced fewer kick metres per match (89, compared with 123 in 2019). That's understandable, given the arrival of another English recruit, George Williams and his strong, short kicking game.

Hodgson does a lot of work in defence - and he again topped the average tackle count at the Raiders. However, he also tends to produce a lot of missed or ineffective tackles. His tackle efficiency rate (87 per cent) was unchanged - and was below the benchmark hookers (in the 90s). However, that doesn't translate into try causes for the most part - so something has to be working in that department.

By the end of the season, Hodgson was looking remarkably fit, so fit, some started to speculate that he might make an early comeback. Realistically, that was never on the agenda - because we know what happens when players return to the field too early after a knee reconstruction. However, he should be raring to go in Round 1 of 2021.

I've said in a previous review that one of the challenges for Ricky Stuart next year will be to get the "spine" combining well, when Hodgson returns. The halves took more responsibility for running the team in Hodgson's absence in the second half of 2020, to good effect. At times, Hodgson can overplay his hand. Crisp service to the running halves will be important, particularly given the new rules that speed the ruck and the game. The other issue that Stuart might be pondering is how to use Tom Starling next year. Starling was very effective in coming off the bench for Siliva Havili at dummy half. He makes quick decisions, is very nippy around the rucks, and exploits a tiring opposition defence very well. Hodgson has been an 80 minute hooker for a while... but I wonder whether having Starling on the bench might not be a good option. Having options... that's a good problem to have for the coach.

How did you rate Josh Hodgson's 2020? Tell us below.

Josh Hodgson's 2020: 5/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 9
Average minutes: 75
Tries: 0
Try assists: 3
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 3
Total kicks: 26
Kick metres: 802
Average kicking metres per match: 89
40/20's: 1
Forced drop outs: 2
Kicks dead: 0
Kick errors: 2
Total runs: 20
Dummy half runs: 10
All run metres: 118
Average metres per carry: 5
Average metres per game: 13
Tackle breaks: 1
Offloads: 1
Line breaks: 0
Line break assists: 2
Tackles: 336
Average tackles per game: 37
1 on 1 tackles: 21
Missed tackles: 36
Average missed tackles per game: 4
Ineffective tackles: 13
Tackle efficiency: 87 per cent
Try causes: 1
Errors: 8
Penalties conceded: 5
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2020 in review - Josh Hodgson

Post by Matt »

Ill be honest, I think Hodgo had a 'Barry Crocker' of a season. Was more Farah than Smith this yr, and I didnt like it.
That said... hated seeming him go down more. Another ACL is bad news, and all I can think of is Campo.
TBH GE, I think 5 is probably generous. Im thinking more like 4-4.5.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've said enough about Hodgo. He absolutely nailed our Rd 3 game vs the Storm. Crisp service, good decision making. At that point he was hailed as the best dummy half in the game. Then it started to go downhill as he overstretched his role. The silver lining to his injury was the requirement for our halves to step up and take the reigns (particularly Williams).

He's clearly a more complete dummy half than Havili or Starling, yet we played better without him.

Hopefully we see more of the likes of his Round 3 performance when 2021 hits. Captain obvious can see his cohesion with the halves is vitally important to our success.

3.5/10
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's had a whole season sitting out and observing these new rules changes now and reflect on how they might work for his game. He's see Jack and George go about their business. He's a clever footballer and a good leader so I think he'll be able to figure out a way to be effective for the team next year.

I just hope he doesn't lose an edge physically. Because he was always a bit short of speed, agility and strength- he is a smarts player. I do worry that with 2 knee reco's he'll be left behind a bit by the new game.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Matt wrote:Ill be honest, I think Hodgo had a 'Barry Crocker' of a season. Was more Farah than Smith this yr, and I didnt like it.
That said... hated seeming him go down more. Another ACL is bad news, and all I can think of is Campo.
Come on Matt. It’s Barry Croker!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: November 10, 2020, 12:31 pm
Matt wrote:Ill be honest, I think Hodgo had a 'Barry Crocker' of a season. Was more Farah than Smith this yr, and I didnt like it.
Come on Matt. It’s Barry Croker!
:lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Not his best year, even prior to injury he was playing at a level far below what is expected of him.
4/10 is probably a bit generous all things considered with the time missed.

Confident he'll bounce back strongly though. Players of his calibre usually do