2020 in review - Jack Wighton

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the ninth instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Nick Cotric, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei and Michael Oldfield.

Jack Wighton has made a stunning transformation in the past two years. From fullback to five eighth. To representative player. To Clive Churchill Medalist. To Meninga Medalist. To Dally M Medalist, the NRL Player of the Year in 2020. He shared this year's Meninga Medal with Josh Papalii, before outpointing hot favourite Nathan Cleary in the Dally M count. He's just the third Canberra player to become a Dally M Medalist, with Laurie Daley being the last Raider to do it, a quarter of a century ago. Throw in the 2020 Dally M Five eighth of the Year award, and that's an impressive list of achievements.

For mine, Jack Wighton's best game came in Week 1 of the finals, when he simply grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. He scored a double in the space of three minutes, ensuring the Raiders took control of the match. It wasn't the only time he did it, scoring a double in four other games. I rated him an "8" in eight games (Rd 1 V Titans, Rd 5 V Tigers, Rd 11 V Rabbitohs, Rd 15 V Titans, Rd 16 V Bulldogs, Rd 18 V Dragons, Finals Wk 1 V Sharks, Finals Wk 2 V Roosters)... and an average of 7.1/10 during the season. My overall rating of 8.5/10, reflects his very strong contribution to the Green Machine's season.

He shared the Fans' Choice Player of the Year with Josh Papalii, Elliott Whitehead and George Williams - winning "man of the match" honours in five games (Rd 1 V Titans, Rd 5 V Tigers, Rd 15 V Titans, Rd 16 V Bulldogs, Finals Wk 1 V Sharks).

Wighton made 22 appearances in green in 2020. The only match he missed was the Round 20 clash with the Sharks, when coach Ricky Stuart rested a host of his stars. He ranked second at the club in the try scoring stakes (13), and equal first amongst regular NRL five eighths. No player at the Raiders produced more try involvements (29) and he was second only to George Williams for try assists (12). He also delivered 14 line break assists. He was just outside the top 10 NRL five eighths for try assists and line break assists - but his running game was a real strength. He ranked first amongst the regular NRL five eighths for total running metres and third for running metres per match. He was third at the Raiders for total tackle breaks (56) and third amongst regular NRL five eighths. He finished second for line breaks at the club (10).

Wighton again produced a strong kicking game. He averaged more kicking metres than any player at the club (264 metres from eight kicks per game). He ranked sixth in the NRL for total kicking metres and just outside the top 10 players for kicking metres per match. He got two 40/20 kicks and forced eight line drop outs. He does have a kick error in his game, however. He ranked first in the NRL for kicks dead (nine) for equal fifth for kick errors (11).

Jack Wighton is a tough, aggressive defender, with good technique. He averaged just over two missed tackles per game, but lifted his tackle efficiency to 86 per cent this year (84 per cent in 2019). He produced just four try causes, down from nine in 2019. He was way down the list of NRL five eighths for try causes and line break causes. He was in the top 10 five eighths for missed tackles, but his tackle efficiency rate was not too far below the bench mark players in that department.

Wighton had the highest error count at the Raiders (1.5 per match, in line with his count in 2019). That's going to happen when you touch the ball as often as one of the halves. But he did rank inside the top five five eighths for errors per game, so it is probably something he'll want to work on. He ranked equal second at the club for penalties conceded, behind only Elliott Whitehead.

Jack Wighton was suspended for the final 10 weeks of the 2018 competition after an off field indiscretion, a close shave with the law. Often, the redemption stories for Canberra Raiders come after they move to another club. Gladly, Jack Wighton has given us a great Raiders redemption story. There is no doubt he's now an elite player, awarded the NRL's highest honour. Here's hoping he can lead the Raiders to even greater heights in 2021.

How did you rate Jack Wighton's 2020? Tell us below.

Jack Wighton's 2020: 8.5/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 22
Average minutes: 79
Tries: 13
Try assists: 12
Try contributions: 4
Total try involvements: 29
Total kicks: 180
Kick metres: 5816
40/20's: 2
Forced line drop outs: 8
Average kicks per match: 8
Average kicking metres per match: 264
Kicks dead: 9
Kicking errors: 11
Total runs: 153
All run metres: 1628
Average metres per carry: 10
Average metres per game: 74
Tackle breaks: 56
Offloads: 4
Line breaks: 11
Line break assists: 14
Tackles: 389
Average tackles per game: 17
1 on 1 tackles: 70
Missed tackles: 48
Average missed tackles per game: 2
Ineffective tackles: 15
Tackle efficiency: 86 per cent
Try causes: 4
Errors: 33
Penalties conceded: 10
Sin bins: 1
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2020 in review - Jack Wighton

Post by The Nickman »

7.5/10 for me, I'm not being influenced by the Dally M medal. He played well, but it wasn't even his best season IMO.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

He was 2nd only to Papa this yr, so if Papa gets a 9, I can go with 8.5.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Jack was brilliant.

If something needed to happen.. Jack did it.

8.5/10
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

8/10
a good year with room for further improvement.
Was the difference in some games but to get a higher score would need to be JT like.
Hopefully he takes more control of games next year and his combo with Williams will only get better.

btw I wonder how NSW would have gone with him at fullback or 5/8 in Origin 1. Kind of think the Dally M winner is a little wasted at centre. Also I dont think they went to his side as much.

Also, I saw him go off with what looked like some kind of strain? is he OK? whats the low down?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fantastic year. He's previously played out of his skin in the biggest games. My only knock on him this year is that he didn't manage to impose himself on the lost Melbourne semi. So 8.5 is fair.

He was the best 5/8 in the comp for mine, more complete player than Keary. Dally M it's hard to judge positions vs positions in strong teams vs weak teams but I say it's just a sign he was one of the premier players in the comp.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

9/10 for me.
Easily his best season.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

He obviously had a huge year, but his stats are unremarkable and so can't tell the whole story.

He really chose the right moments to inject himself and when he did it made a big difference at important times.

He has some clear weaknesses in his game, but he and the team are able to play around them, meaning his impact isn't diminished. I suspect that's why he's not getting the gig at Orig n level, though.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Another quality year, capped off by the Dally M and continued rep selection.

I think to take his game to the next level he needs to do two things:

1. Stamp his authority more in bigger games
2. Find a way to reduce the amount of errors he makes

Some people may predictability point out that he won the Clive Churchill last season, but in this one I felt he was notably weaker against higher quality opposition - GH POTY points tend to reflect that too.

Regarding his errors, the hallmark of a top player is how rarely they make them. Just think back to all the great spine players that have been in the game - seldom do they make mistakes, and when they do, you're a bit shocked. It's one of their biggest traits and something that Jack has to find a solution for if he's ever going to be held in that regard.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think his season was as good as others
I saw too many really poor errors for player of his quality. Which isnt to say he was poor. He was still quite good and a major influence on the team's success.

But there is no question that when he's on, he's one of of the best players in the world.
7/10 for me.
jacko6
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by jacko6 »

Jack Wighton "Dally M" 2020 Highlights: https://fb.watch/1Y13ZcvdIN/
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

best 5/8 in the world and it's great he's locked in long term.

As Georgie gets better and better, so will Jack and that will scare the life out of defenses. Didn't look like he had much trust in the outside backs so just ran it himself most of the time. If he had a gun centre outside him he would be geting 20/20 trys and try assists
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

8/10 for me.

Just about the best defensive half in the NRL. Really good long kicking and running game and just about always plays with 100% effort.

I don't think he was at his best with the ball at times, and at times I don't think he used Whitehead to his potential, but I expect him to build on that next season.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

With Hodgo out of the side we needed another attacking focus and Jack so often provided it imo. Dally M was a bonus but I thought he had a 9/10 year. I still find it hard to believe that the NSW selectors/coaching staff picked 2 other 5/8s before the Dally M player of the year in that position (Keary and Walker). For the Raiders he came up with some pile driver tackles as well. He has the longest kicking game in our side which imo improved as the year went on. He seems to find grass more often. His kick chase is so good that opposition coaches are having their players put him on the ground or disrupt his progress after he kicks the ball. This is to protect their fullback or winger who has to run the ball back imo. I hope he can have a similar year in 2021 as he has at 5/8 over the past 2 years.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

3/14.

He was good but didn't do enough. I expected a Grand Final. He bears the blame for this.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Captain Punish wrote: December 6, 2020, 8:01 pm 3/14.

He was good but didn't do enough. I expected a Grand Final. He bears the blame for this.

Canberra as a whole would be better off with him in jail and yourself as chief minister.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

BadnMean wrote:
Captain Punish wrote: December 6, 2020, 8:01 pm 3/14.

Canberra as a whole would be better off with him in jail and yourself as chief minister.
I have far too many skeletons for upper management.

But Jack could do better.