Canberra Raiders confirm departures of Oldfield and Niko

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders confirm departures of Oldfield and Niko

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders farewell departing players

The Canberra Raiders would like to thank the seven players who have departed throughout and at the conclusion of the 2020 season for their contribution towards the club.

John Bateman, Nick Cotric, Michael Oldfield and Andre Niko are all departing the club, while Luke Bateman, Jack Murchie and JJ Collins all departed midway through the season.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/11 ... g-players/

VIDEO: Departing players highlights: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/11 ... yers-2020/

Canberra Raiders farewell departing duo, Michael Oldfield and Andre Niko: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Re: Canberra Raiders confirm departures of Oldfield and Niko

Post by Raidersteve »

Disappointed to see Oldfield leave but he will likely get a better opportunity elsewhere. He is too good to be left in reserves for most of his career but there are younger prospects with higher potential ceilings ahead of him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's played 54 games in 10 seasons across five different clubs. He's obviously a really good guy, and obviously does a lot of great things off field, but it is pretty clear he is a depth/State Cup player. Clearly, that's a whole lot better than a lot of rugby league players. I doubt that's going to change at the Eels, but I wish him the best in what he does there.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I like Oldbeard.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think everybody likes him.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

speed and fragility, summed up in that great try in the corner vs warriors where he won the game and busted his shoulder

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: November 4, 2020, 6:12 pm He's played 54 games in 10 seasons across five different clubs. He's obviously a really good guy, and obviously does a lot of great things off field, but it is pretty clear he is a depth/State Cup player. Clearly, that's a whole lot better than a lot of rugby league players. I doubt that's going to change at the Eels, but I wish him the best in what he does there.
Couldn’t agree more. He was probably a bit unlucky at the Raiders in that when there was a spot for him he was often injured himself.

I can’t see how he is going to go from the level he is at to being a regular first grader at Parra.

But he is a fantastic guy that every club loves having around.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Funny to think a player like Billy Tupou earned so much more of a consistent opportunity than Oldfield ever managed. He managed 53 games over his first three years at the Warriors.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:Funny to think a player like Billy Tupou earned so much more of a consistent opportunity than Oldfield ever managed. He managed 53 games over his first three years at the Warriors.
Billy T wasn't made of glass.

It's also a show of how far we've come as a team that a player of Oldfield's quality was never a first 13 pick.

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders back Michael Oldfield signs one year deal with Parramatta Eels

Michael Oldfield held out hope of remaining with the Canberra Raiders until the last moment, which was why he was disappointed he didn't get the chance to say goodbye to a lot of people at the club. He's now signed a one year deal with the Eels.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Michael Oldfield has agreed to a one-year deal with the Parramatta Eels: https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2020/ ... nrl-squad/
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

There goes the only guy in the squad with any sort of top-end speed. Good luck and all the best Oldy.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: November 6, 2020, 6:08 pm There goes the only guy in the squad with any sort of top-end speed. Good luck and all the best Oldy.
Not quite true.

I noticed the origin GPS speeds up the other day and the only one quicker than the 35.something SImo has been clocked at was JAC at 36.something.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Speed doesn’t matter if you’re not regularly in the team.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: November 6, 2020, 6:55 pm Speed doesn’t matter if you’re not regularly in the team.
Yeah but he’s first to training..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: November 6, 2020, 6:55 pm Speed doesn’t matter if you’re not regularly in the team.
sadly so
as they say, the best ability is availabilty. Oldy was mostly very good for us when called on but we kind of need someone a bit more relaible than he's capable of being at this stage. Which im sad about because i like him as a bloke and as a footballer :(
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

BadnMean wrote: November 6, 2020, 6:40 pm
afgtnk wrote: November 6, 2020, 6:08 pm There goes the only guy in the squad with any sort of top-end speed. Good luck and all the best Oldy.
Not quite true.

I noticed the origin GPS speeds up the other day and the only one quicker than the 35.something SImo has been clocked at was JAC at 36.something.
Addo-Carr's been clocked at 38.5 before: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/24/add ... -revealed/

I'm always a bit sceptical about when and how they release these GPS figures. For functional purposes, it'd be best to release the highest speeds hit at certain intervals (10m, 20, 30, etc), or at least tell us how far into a sprint these guys are hitting their top speed. That's where a guy like JAC would shine across them all, whereas you'd only find a guy like Ed Lee in the latter intervals. It's JAC speed consistency across the different marks that makes him so dangerous.

If you've got a guy ranking highly overall, but only able to hit that top speed when he's more than 30 odd metres into his stride, it becomes mostly redundant in the context of an NRL game. That's where I think guys like Simo come in, because in the few times I've seen him really get to stride out over distance (which are rare occurrences, relatively) he is quite fast, but over short phases he doesn't catch anyone's eye.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Right analysis- the figures are very spotty. And of questionable value (Shane Whereat) of speed vs gamesense of how to utilise speed.

But all those are sidelines to the point that Oldy is not the only guy in our squad who has topline speed. Simo is our quickest by some objective measures, Jack by some others (chase down of Turbo- but most fans ignore no one runs the Olympic 100m Final carrying the footy).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Yeah, not much between Oldy and Simo for top speed. Not sure where Valemi sits by comparison. Maybe a step behind. Timoko bit more of a speed/power combo. Can't say what his top end is like.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

as affatagga said, show me 0-40m speeds as well as tops, I'll bet me last sheckle all clubs focus on 0-40m times in training evaluation.

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: November 6, 2020, 7:21 pm
sadly so
as they say, the best ability is availabilty. Oldy was mostly very good for us when called on but we kind of need someone a bit more relaible than he's capable of being at this stage. Which im sad about because i like him as a bloke and as a footballer :(
Agree with all that, especially the bit about being a good guy and a good player. But I wasn’t only referring to injury. He’s not in our top back five if everyone is fit, we have better young players coming up. He’s a depth player at most clubs and as the story outlines, that’s the role he’s been recruited to at the Eels.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

I must say I'm a bit worried that our issue this year was a total lack of depth in our outside backs, and that's what we're letting go?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

nachopants wrote: November 7, 2020, 9:07 pm I must say I'm a bit worried that our issue this year was a total lack of depth in our outside backs, and that's what we're letting go?
Young players coming through, and players with higher thresholds. Use them or you lose them.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: November 7, 2020, 7:39 am Yeah, not much between Oldy and Simo for top speed. Not sure where Valemi sits by comparison. Maybe a step behind. Timoko bit more of a speed/power combo. Can't say what his top end is like.
Valemi had a gallop in his stride when he really stretched out over distance I saw one game. That will hold top speed back, but it is fixable. Either an off season with a good sprint coach or if it is related to that knee brace he wears, just natural recovery could see Semi find that extra gear.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

nachopants wrote: November 7, 2020, 9:07 pm I must say I'm a bit worried that our issue this year was a total lack of depth in our outside backs, and that's what we're letting go?
I'd actually say we have enough depth in outside backs now- with HSS, Timoko and Valemi and Simonsen all looking in with a shot at becoming proper FG players + CNK, Rapana and Croker in the solid experience category + Scott as a wildcard and Aekin backup FB- I'd say the only question mark is on high end quality rather than depth.

I'be banged on about it enough to bore people I'm sure. But I'm worried we'll be all "honest toiler" and no strikepower next season.

Not many teams win a comp without some big weapons in the back 5 (yes, I'd put Papenhuyzen, Vunivalu and even Olam in that category now, even if they also have weaknesses). 2015 Cowboys maybe exception.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

BadnMean wrote: November 7, 2020, 11:17 pm I'be banged on about it enough to bore people I'm sure. But I'm worried we'll be all "honest toiler" and no strikepower next season.
This is what concerns me. HSS and Timoko are still very small.

Simonsen has been with us a while now but still doesn't have the brute strength/leg-drive of Cotric. Scott has the same issue.

Croker, I think we've said enough. Rapana isn't a centre, etc.

I dunno, I'm so worried about it compared to the brute strength and leg drive of the Sivos, Crichtons, Staggs, Morris twins, etc, of the comp.

I mean seriously? We're replacing nearly all of our back line with guys barely 6 foot?

Where does our strike come from?
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

nachopants wrote: November 8, 2020, 9:13 am
BadnMean wrote: November 7, 2020, 11:17 pm I'be banged on about it enough to bore people I'm sure. But I'm worried we'll be all "honest toiler" and no strikepower next season.
This is what concerns me. HSS and Timoko are still very small.

Simonsen has been with us a while now but still doesn't have the brute strength/leg-drive of Cotric. Scott has the same issue.

Croker, I think we've said enough. Rapana isn't a centre, etc.

I dunno, I'm so worried about it compared to the brute strength and leg drive of the Sivos, Crichtons, Staggs, Morris twins, etc, of the comp.

I mean seriously? We're replacing nearly all of our back line with guys barely 6 foot?

Where does our strike come from?
Timoko and HSS are six-foot and 95kg+. Scott and Simonsson are both 6'2"+ and 90 kg+. None are older than 23. I think an off-season strapped to the squat rack for all of these boys, scoffing the tuna and rice, and we are laughing.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Agree, as long as they're building bulk this off season we'll be okay.