2020 Highs and Lows: Tackle of the Year

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

What was the Canberra Raiders Tackle of the Year in 2020?

Round 3 V Storm - George Williams
7%
Round 6 V Sea Eagles - Corey Horsburgh
No votes
Round 7 V Eels - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
No votes
Round 11 V Rabbitohs - Jordan Rapana
No votes
Round 15 V Titans - Josh Papalii
80%
Round 18 V Dragons - Josh Papalii
7%
Finals Wk 2 - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
7%
Finals Wk 3 - Sia Soliola and Siliva Havili
No votes

Total votes: 15

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Every year, the readers of The Greenhouse vote on the highs and lows of the season just past. The Players of the Year are determined by the Fans' Choice voting, but all the other categories are determined by fan polls.

In this poll we are voting for the Canberra Raiders 2020 Try of the Year. We know who'll win this one, but there are actually some good nominations! You have one vote in this poll. If you would like to vote for a tackle that is not nominated... just specify your vote for the game in the thread!

NRL.com Tackles of the Week: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/02/rel ... k-winners/

NRL.com Tackles of the Finals: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/26/cho ... he-finals/

The nominations are:

Round 3 V Storm George Williams - We knew that new English recruit, George Williams, could tackle after lifting and dumping Ryan Papenhuyzen on his back.

Round 6 V Sea Eagles Corey Horsburgh - A cruel big hit on Jack Gosiewski was one of the few highlights for the Green Machine in this "home" clash at Campbelltown. Listen to the thump!

Round 7 V Eels Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - Maika Sivo was on the fly down the sideline, but CNK came across in cover and produced a brilliant try saver... with a little help from Jordan Rapana.

Round 11 V Rabbitohs Jordan Rapana - A great try saver from Jordan Rapana, as Rabbitohs half Adam Reynolds looked certain to score.

Round 15 V Titans Josh Papalii - Titans half Jamal Fogarty earned a quick 20 metre tap with his kick defusal in goal... and streaked away. Three players were chasing, Lui and Starling couldn't keep pace. But Josh Papalii never gave up, and felled Fogarty with a desperate lunge. It won the Dally M Tackle of the Year. It must be up there for Raiders' Tackle of the Century!

Round 18 V Dragons Josh Papalii - Big Papa was at it again at Wollongong, producing a huge hit on Cameron McInnes. Tom Starling made some initial contact, but this hit was all Papalii.

Finals Week 2 V Roosters Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - Roosters centre Josh Morris was flying towards the try line, in the corner, but CNK pulled off a remarkable, desperate try saver.

Finals Week 3 V Storm Sia Soliola, Siliva Havili and Dunamis Lui - There weren't a lot of highlights for the Green Machine in the Preliminary Final, but from the kick off in the second half, this trio of Raiders forwards drove Dale Finucane back 10 metres... along with three or four other team mates, back into the in goal.

All the results: Click here
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2020 Highs and Lows: Tackle of the Year

Post by Seiffert82 »

The CNK one on Morris was almost certainly the most important, but Papa's chase was top shelf effort.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Papas hit on McInnes rattled MY teeth.

It was a beauty.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

There were some great hits, but if there's a tackle that stands out in the memory of years it's things like Papalli- Buhrer, Wighton-Soward, Wighton - Segeyaro, but this year it's Big Papa on the ankle tap chase. Even if you give him brownie points for making the chase he just had absolutely no right to make that ankle tap. We're 22-4 up, he's 10 mins into his 2nd stint already, it's a sprinty half on a break who'se already burnt off blokes like Bateman and Starling... but Papa is just 100% about giving 100%, and he still had 1% left, so he gave it.

It's the kind of thing we give Jordy Raps (rightly) huge wraps for, just those 1%ers. Great tackle, even if I usually love the big hits.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Papa's chase and ankle tap will always be a defensive highlight of the 2020 season. Jack makes so many clean hits its hard to remember them all but there was one in Round 19 against the Warriors on Murchie early in the match which has stayed with me. Maybe it's because Murchie was a former Raider, but Jack's hit was sweet as.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah Papa's ankle tap will go down in NRL folklore. They'll write sonnets on his effort. Matter of fact, Im drafting one up now

I'll do it all,
Everything,
On my own.
I don't need,
Another break
Or any help
If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and wonder what I did?

I don't quite know,
How on earth,
I made Jamahl.
Those ankles,
Just stared at me,
And time stood still.
If I reached out
If I just reached out
Could I do something that Bateman gave up on?
Forget what I'm told,
that Im too big and old
Show them that sprinter that's hiding inside me.

Let's waste time,
Chasing Halves
Around the grounds.
I need a rest,
To remind me,
That I can chase.
If I lay here,
If I just lay here,
Would you lie with me and wonder what I did?
Forget what I'm told,
that I'm too big and old.
Show them that sprinter that's hiding inside me...

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Time to vote in this poll running out... it will be declared tomorrow.
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

CNK on Morris semi final against the chooks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared for Tackle of the Year... all the results so far: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7#p1767367
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 30, 2020, 4:35 pm The CNK one on Morris was almost certainly the most important, but Papa's chase was top shelf effort.
Agree