2020 in review - Nick Cotric

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the fifth instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker and Curtis Scott.

In 2020, Nick Cotric probably had his best season since his rookie year of 2017 - when he was named Dally M Rookie of the Year and shared in the Fans' Choice Player of the Year award. He spent a lot of time at centre in 2019, but this year coach Ricky Stuart was firm in his belief that wing is Cotric's best position. And I think Stuart's assessment has been proven to be correct.

Cotric was one of only two Raiders players to appear in every match in 2020. He played every game in either the No. 5 or No. 2 jersey. He was officially switched late, to centre, for the Round 17 clash with the Roosters, but he actually played on the wing, with Jordan Rapana on his inside. He switched to the right edge, to partner Curtis Scott, at the start of the season. It was a combination that struggled, particularly in defence. He was moved back to the left for a few games in the middle of the season. But from Round 12, he stayed in the No. 5 jumper.

Cotric finished the season as the Raiders' top try scorer (14 tries, compared with just four in 2019 and a career best 16 in 2017). That put him back in the top 10 NRL players in the try scoring stakes (ranked eighth). In 2019, he ranked outside the top 20 players for tackle breaks (just over three per game) and outside the top 40 players for line breaks (10). He bounced back in both departments in 2020. He was second only to James Tedesco for tackle breaks, and back in the top 20 players for line breaks. His average running metres per game lifted (105, compared with 93 in 2019), though his metres per run fell (to eight, from nine in 2019).

As mentioned, he had some problems in defence, particularly early in the season. He was credited with 20 try causes (12 in 2019) - with only one NRL winger, Kyle Feldt, conceding more. He conceded twice as many tries - or more - than any other Raiders player. His tackle efficiency fell to 63 per cent (77 per cent in 2019). It is tough defending on the edges, and the problems in defence are often in field. But it is hard to avoid the conclusion that that wasn't up to scratch.

In my weekly Raiders player ratings, he finished equal fifth, with Elliot Whitehead, for total points, and averaged 6.3/10 per match. His season rating reflects his appearance record. My highest rating for Cotric was a "8", in the Round 2 win over the Warriors on the Gold Coast. He was also "man of the match" in Fans' Choice voting in that game, producing 10 runs for 165 metres, 21 kick return metres, 32 post contact metres, two line breaks, 17 tackle breaks and 100 per cent tackle efficiency. He also picked up a single Fans' Choice point in the Round 4 clash with the Knights.

Cotric has been selected in the NSW Blues Origin squad, but he did not make the team picked for the first match in Adelaide, with Daniel Tupou and Josh Addo-Carr preferred on the wings. The local Canberra junior, still aged just 21, has signed with the Canterbury Bulldogs for the next three seasons. It is a sad loss for the club, and the NRL salary cap arrangements simply should not be producing this sort of result. When local juniors are being poached this way, it is clear that the cap arrangements do not provide sufficient reward for development clubs. The Bulldogs reportedly have signed him for $600,000 a season and are planning to play him at centre. I personally think the Raiders have made the right call, not to match the Dogs' contract offer. I don't think Cotric plays his best football at centre... and $600,000 is overs for a winger. But if there's a club prepared to pay that, no one can begrudge a player taking the deal. I wish Cotric well with his new club, and hope that this year might not be the last we see of him in green.

How did you rate Nick Cotric's 2020? Tell us below.

Nick Cotric's 2020: 7.5/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 23
Average minutes: 79
Tries: 14
Try assists: 3
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 17
Total kicks: 12
Kick metres: 172
Forced drop outs: 1
Total runs: 274
All run metres: 2405
Average metres per carry: 8
Average metres per game: 105
Tackle breaks: 124
Offloads: 3
Line breaks: 14
Line break assists: 0
Tackles: 67
Average tackles per game: 2
1 on 1 tackles: 14
Missed tackles: 28
Average missed tackles per game: 1
Ineffective tackles: 10
Tackle efficiency: 64 per cent
Try causes: 20
Errors: 14
Penalties conceded: 2
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2020 in review - Nick Cotric

Post by The Nickman »

I thought Cotric was a 7, so I'm good with a 7.5.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

This is one of those weird ones. Top try scorer, but saw limited attacking ball, which makes being a tackle busting machine more interesting coz most of it was coming out of his end. Lots of try causes wasnt great, but being outside Rapa would have been tough. Still made the NSW squad.
I think given the stats he put up, despite the lack of decent ball he saw, a decent score is fair, so 7-7.5 for mine.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

My rule of thumb is that a FAQ season is 5 and he was muchbetter than that without being a standout there fore I rate him 7.5. Good but capable of better.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Cranky Old Man wrote: October 30, 2020, 11:45 am My rule of thumb is that a FAQ season is 5 and he was muchbetter than that without being a standout there fore I rate him 7.5. Good but capable of better.
What's FAQ, Cranky? I'm usually quite good with TLAs, but I've seen you use this one a few times and it has me stumped!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

6.5 for mine. The stats are better than the eye test.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Better than last season, still not as good as the two before that.

A lot of teams have worked him out with that play that made him so dangerous (coming in-field and looking for breaks in the line). It's nullified him a lot and taken away what made him so special.

Still our best back though and I'm sad to see him go. I was really hoping he'd be here until the end.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: October 30, 2020, 12:45 pm Better than last season, still not as good as the two before that.

A lot of teams have worked him out with that play that made him so dangerous (coming in-field and looking for breaks in the line). It's nullified him a lot and taken away what made him so special.

Still our best back though and I'm sad to see him go. I was really hoping he'd be here until the end.
The end of time?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

yep, mainly good and I'll miss him. Hopefully he fills his Sydney bucket and comes back as a fully developed player

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Nickman wrote: October 30, 2020, 11:52 am
Cranky Old Man wrote: October 30, 2020, 11:45 am My rule of thumb is that a FAQ season is 5 and he was muchbetter than that without being a standout there fore I rate him 7.5. Good but capable of better.
What's FAQ, Cranky? I'm usually quite good with TLAs, but I've seen you use this one a few times and it has me stumped!
I think he's referring to the old "Fairly Average Quadrilaterally" test. Where you compare his efforts against four key metrics
Scoring Tries
Making tackles
Punching on
Off field Indiscretions

You score each area out of 10, and then graph it. FWIW - I agree with Cranky. 7.5 seems right. Needs to get up to more mischief off the field to bring the number up
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We are going to miss Nick.

Our outside hombres look a little inexperienced not including Toots.

A solid season again from NCotric.

He'll be back one day I'm hoping.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: October 30, 2020, 11:36 am This is one of those weird ones. Top try scorer, but saw limited attacking ball, which makes being a tackle busting machine more interesting coz most of it was coming out of his end. Lots of try causes wasnt great, but being outside Rapa would have been tough. Still made the NSW squad.
I think given the stats he put up, despite the lack of decent ball he saw, a decent score is fair, so 7-7.5 for mine.
Yeah I agree. The other odd one is that given those defensive numbers - that he never came up in the "eye test" of defensive issues for the club at all at any stage of the season. And I don't think the fans are wrong, just a statistical oddity or it was clear that centres inside him were mucking up.

His attack was never an issue- how many times did he get the ball vs Melbourne in the semi and make the try count with plenty of work to do? Compared to our other wingers finishing this season... And how painful was it when we _still_ wouldn't just get the ball to him when needed?

Decent year. Like most at the club, not his best, but in perspective still easily the most effective and consistent of our back 5 throughout the year. That's why he's a rep player- his floor is solid footy, his ceiling is exceptional.

I hope I get the chance to cheer him in a Blues jersey again.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: October 30, 2020, 12:45 pm Better than last season, still not as good as the two before that.

Did they work him out? he still breaks a million tackles and was placed on the wrong side of the field for 80% of the season and still was our best outside back and a statistically excellent outside back... There's not a lot to 'work out' about Cotric- he's nig, strong, athletic and has good instincts for the game.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

My sister pointed this out years ago- but equally as important to NRL recognition and success are a catchy name and eye catching hairdo... Column inches and cult status bro...

Fui Fui knew it, Charnze forgot it, SBW knew it before triple barrels were even a thing
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:My sister pointed this out years ago- but equally as important to NRL recognition and success are a catchy name and eye catching hairdo... Column inches and cult status bro...

Fui Fui knew it, Charnze forgot it, SBW knew it before triple barrels were even a thing
You’re actually not wrong here either, I’ve ALWAYS attested that Aaron Woods only ever got picked for NSW because of his hair and it’s no coincidence for me that once he cut it off they were like “who the **** is this ****?”
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I reckon we will miss his tackle busting and tough physical hit ups. Very safe under the high ball. Easy 7/10 for me. I think the Dogs have paid overs for a winger and definite overs for a center but they got their target. I wish him well and would welcome him back at some time in the future ... at the right price.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I have him second behind CNK in terms of best performer among our outside backs.
He wasn’t helped by switching wings...
All up a reasonable 6.5/10.
I do wish we had kept him as his best years are ahead...
I hope he gets ‘homesick’ and returns.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Fair Average Quality?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

6/10
He was good, above average but certainly a bit off his best and isn’t making the same impact as a ball carrier that he had early in his career
He will he missed though
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

FAQ = Fair Average Quality. A frequently used acronym in agricultural and similar fields.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Who gives a FAQ? If you don’t mind me asking.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

BadnMean wrote: October 30, 2020, 6:50 pm

Did they work him out? he still breaks a million tackles and was placed on the wrong side of the field for 80% of the season and still was our best outside back and a statistically excellent outside back... There's not a lot to 'work out' about Cotric- he's nig, strong, athletic and has good instincts for the game.
I do believe they did, and ensured they had measures to counter it. I'd see teams holding off him a bit more and be less reluctant to go one on one with him in those positions, making sure their line was a straight as possible.

He's still a very good player and does break a lot of tackles, but they're generally not ones that see him make those midfield breaks anymore that would catch everyone's attention.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Agree that the tackles Cotric breaks are often going sideways. Papa breaks less tackles but importantly it’s when going forward.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah 6/10 for me. Had a good finals campaign, but pretty average through most of the season. A lot of games where I felt I barely noticed him.

Best of luck at the dogs. I don’t believe we’ll see him in green again. I think he’ll be too expensive still for our cap and it would mean our juniors have flopped.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I feel like the new 6 again rules this year haven’t suited him as well as it has for others.

For outside backs speed has become more important and also with less structure, attributes such as rucking the ball out from your own line for a penalty, or charging over a defender 1 on 1 in the red zone has become a bit less useful than it was previously
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sid wrote:I feel like the new 6 again rules this year haven’t suited him as well as it has for others.

For outside backs speed has become more important and also with less structure, attributes such as rucking the ball out from your own line for a penalty, or charging over a defender 1 on 1 in the red zone has become a bit less useful than it was previously
I think he is as good a finisher as anybody in the competition, but he just didn't get the opportunity to show it this year. That is largely on the coaching structures and inside men. For all his faults Sezer was very good at straightening up our attack which left so much space for our edges to show they were up there with the best.

Given the way we played this year I would have liked to see Cotric pushing up in support instead of CNK being the only one that did it.

I thought he started the year very well and then had a drop off mid season and then finished strongly.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017