2020 in review - Jarrod Croker

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the third instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Jordan Rapana.

This year, Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker became the fifth highest point scorer in NRL history. In the Round 16 clash with the Bulldogs, he overtook Jason Taylor to take his place in the top five. He now has the point scoring records of Andrew Johns and Johnathan Thurston in his sights. He has to score just 18 points to match Johns and 64 points to match Thurston. There is every prospect that next season, he could become one of the three top point scorers in the code's history in Australia.

Croker broke through the 2,000 career points barrier in the Round 1 win over the Gold Coast Titans - becoming the youngest player to ever do so. Only seven players have ever surpassed that benchmark. He has now scored 2,158 points, 132 tries and 815 goals.

Croker only scored five tries this year - down from 13 in 2019, when he was the Raiders' top try scorer. It was his lowest season tally since 2010, when he also crossed the white stripe five times. He didn't score a try in the first seven rounds, meaning he equalled his longest ever try scoring drought of eight matches. His last eight game drought was way back in 2010. But his goal kicking improved in 2020. His success rate this year was 82 per cent, his best success rate since 2017 - and not far off his career best of 85 per cent in 2013. He ranked fifth for total goals this year, and only Adam Reynolds and Cameron Smith had a better success rate amongst the regular kickers in the NRL.

Croker's average metres per game (68) were down on 2019 (74), as were his metres per carry (eight, compared with 10 in 2019). His line breaks per match fell by half, compared with 2019... while his tackle breaks fell to just under one per game (1.7 per game in 2019). Overall, it is clear his attacking strike was down this season.

Croker's defence is the area of his game that has been often criticised. There was one missed tackle in the Preliminary Final which led to a try. As it turns out, he suffered a serious shoulder injury, five minutes into that game... and played for the whole game. No wonder he missed that one. His missed tackle count increased, to just over two per game (1.4 per match in 2019) and his tackle efficiency fell a bit (80 per cent, compared with 83 per cent in 2019). He ranked equal second at the club for missed tackles, along with Jack Wighton. But he only produced six ineffective tackles. And that record didn't translate into a lot of points. Croker was credited with 21 try causes in 2019, the highest at the club and ranking top six for most in the NRL. In 2020, his try causes halved (to 10) and he was outside the top 50 players in the NRL - and the top 25 centres - in that department. An area he'll want to watch is his error count, which was third highest at the club behind Jack Wighton and Jordan Rapana.

My average rating for Croker was 6.1/10 over his 22 appearances, down from his average of 6.5 points in 2019. His season rating reflects his contribution to the season, missing only the Round 20 clash with the Sharks. He was one of many rested from that match. I rated him an "8" in one game, the Round 2 win over the Warriors at the Gold Coast. That day he produced 10 runs for 105 metres, 27 post contact metres, two line break assists, two try assists and six tackle breaks. He only picked up one point in Fans' Choice Player of the Year voting, the Round 6 loss to the Sea Eagles.

Croker signed a four year deal with the Raiders back in March, keeping the skipper at the club until the end of 2024. He's already the second most capped Raider, with 279 appearances. He will now likely overtake Jason Croker's record of 318 games inside the next couple of years. 2020 has not been his best year, but there have been rumours of niggling injuries which may well have contributed to that. And while his strike rate in attack was down this year, I believe there have been some very premature conclusions reached about that by some fans. He will miss the first four to six weeks of the 2021 season, after having major shoulder surgery. But I'm looking forward to seeing him bounce back once he’s back on the field.

How did you rate Jarrod Croker's 2020? Tell us below.

Jarrod Croker's 2020: 7/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 22
Average minutes: 79
Tries: 5
Goals: 71/81
Goal kicking percentage: 82
Try assists: 4
Try contributions: 4
Total try involvements: 13
Total kicks: 14
Kick metres: 259
Total runs: 177
All run metres: 1493
Average metres per carry: 8
Average metres per game: 68
Tackle breaks: 21
Offloads: 11
Line breaks: 7
Line break assists: 2
Tackles: 222
Average tackles per game: 10
1 on 1 tackles: 34
Missed tackles: 48
Average missed tackles per game: 2
Ineffective tackles: 6
Tackle efficiency: 80 per cent
Try causes: 10
Errors: 22
Penalties conceded: 6
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2020 in review - Jarrod Croker

Post by zim »

Spot on GE. Love your work.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He wasn't horrible. Never has been horrible.

Needs to lift again in 2021.

Big season for our skip.

6.5/10
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Afgghgjtkgtnhkthkthklth complete melt-down in

1!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

FWIW, I also had him at 6.5/10. While he wasn't consistently at his own usual high standard, he was nowhere near as bad as some of the cowards on this forum liked to make out throughout the season. Seeing them actively cheering his mistakes in the gameday thread really was one of the more disgusting reoccurrences of 2020.

I back our captain to lift his game back up to the next level again in 2021.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Two bad missed tackles on Manu and Vunivalu in the Finals stick in my mind. Wouldn’t be tolerated at clubs like Storm or Roosters.

Big year for him next year to bounce back.

He doesn’t break the line and lost his pace. I’m a bit concerned we have signed him for another 4 years but I hope he can get back to form cause he is a club legend.
Seems to play better when Hodgson is on the field as Captain and he doesn’t have that burden all on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I dont think he was much better or worse than Rapa, and I gave him 5.5-6. So ill say 6, with he GKing the edge.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Canberra fan perspective 7/10

Neutral fan perspective 5/10

I think he had a underwhelming season but at the same time, not far off his overall standard for the past few years. Can't even remember a game this year where I gave him/would have given him player points.

Here's hoping he can regain some of his 2016 form next season because he definitely isn't going anywhere.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

pacman wrote: October 28, 2020, 1:07 pm Canberra fan perspective 7/10

Neutral fan perspective 5/10

I think he had a underwhelming season but at the same time, not far off his overall standard for the past few years. Can't even remember a game this year where I gave him/would have given him player points.

Here's hoping he can regain some of his 2016 form next season because he definitely isn't going anywhere.
I think you'll find the absolute opposite is true.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Thanks for the work compiling those stats.
While the stats show there was a slight drop in some areas, the eye test for me showed he was off the pace in quite a few games didn’t have an impact in attack.

Was it injury, or was it his new baby at home, or hat effected his form?
His confidence seemed down a lot.

I have a soft spot for Croker like many do, but this was a concerning year from him, especially when you consider he just signed a 4 year deal.

I am really hoping it was injury, lack of sleep and some other external factors that contributed to his form this year.
He has been able to make large strides in his improvement in years past, as he cleaned up his defence and added things to his game over the years, so I am optimistic that he will be able get back to his best in 2021.
But I am concerned.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Brew wrote: October 28, 2020, 12:30 pm Two bad missed tackles on Manu and Vunivalu in the Finals stick in my mind. Wouldn’t be tolerated at clubs like Storm or Roosters.

Big year for him next year to bounce back.

He doesn’t break the line and lost his pace. I’m a bit concerned we have signed him for another 4 years but I hope he can get back to form cause he is a club legend.
Seems to play better when Hodgson is on the field as Captain and he doesn’t have that burden all on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beejay wrote: October 28, 2020, 1:26 pm Thanks for the work compiling those stats.
While the stats show there was a slight drop in some areas, the eye test for me showed he was off the pace in quite a few games didn’t have an impact in attack.

Was it injury, or was it his new baby at home, or hat effected his form?
His confidence seemed down a lot.

I have a soft spot for Croker like many do, but this was a concerning year from him, especially when you consider he just signed a 4 year deal.

I am really hoping it was injury, lack of sleep and some other external factors that contributed to his form this year.
He has been able to make large strides in his improvement in years past, as he cleaned up his defence and added things to his game over the years, so I am optimistic that he will be able get back to his best in 2021.
But I am concerned.
Both are similar but fair statements.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

5.5/10 for me. He is usually a 7/10 player IMO and this season he was well below that so I think 5.5 is fair.

2021 is massive for him. It either tells us whether we signed him 3 years too long or whether he still has it as an NRL player.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I think Toots' season has been well covered by GE in his summary. I've been a massive fan of his for years, but this season he was clearly down on form.

I'd probably give him a 6/10. I'm looking forward to an improved combination with Wighton and whoever his winger is next season. He inexplicably lost his combo with Cotric and clearly didn't have a lot of opportunity with the ball this year - it seemed to impact on his confidence. His goal kicking was largely top shelf though, which was interesting.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Look...I love the guy. He is one of the most likeable blokes in the NRL.
In 2016, he looked fantastic....I'd argue he is better suited to an attacking team mindset.
Since then, he has slowly regressed....first the loss of speed and more recently very poor in defence (I'm not talking about bad reads, as he seems to have limited those in 2020....it's more arm grabbing or poor first contact).
I'm hoping he finds something next season, not because I think he can, but more because I think the coach will continue to play him, so we need the 'better version' of him...
Overall in 2020 it's a 4.5/10....below average.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

6 / 10.
Lost his pace. I cringe when he takes hit ups deep in own territory. Kudos to him for being there to take the tough carries, but I remember when we had Leilua and Lee getting the ball rolling from our deep end and it gave me a lot more confidence than CNK/Croker making 3 metres in 3 tackles
Still a smart footballer and defensively ok without being great.
Respect as he is the Captain, bit he needs to lift or bring something new in 2021 or Ricky will have to have a chat to him about his future.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 28, 2020, 5:04 pm He inexplicably lost his combo with Cotric and clearly didn't have a lot of opportunity with the ball this year - it seemed to impact on his confidence.
This is a very good point, one I hadn't thought of. Some of Crokers best attacking work in 2019 involved cotric on his outside. At the very least, the big body to his left put the defence in 2 minds.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Pretty sure Croker consistently received opportunities than the winger on his outside, and both the backs on the right side.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Fair enough
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Half the ball he got this season was in no space, as Wighton drifted across the field to the left.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:Half the ball he got this season was in no space, as Wighton drifted across the field to the left.
Yeah, Wighton genuinely cramped him for any decent space this year

And over on the right the ball never went past Bateman. No wonder our three quarters are all rated as “duds” by our more clueless fans
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah, don't think that's accurate either.... but if it's a choice between Jack Wighton having the ball, and Jarrod Croker having the ball, Jack Wighton kinda wins out every time.

Croker should be making do with what he gets, which is more than any of the other outside backs.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

He wasnt great this year and next year will be interesting.

However 4 years, come on that deal could be in darius boyd territory by 2023 let alone 2024.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

That miss on Vunivalu (sp?) was pretty awful.

I reckon my 10yo son could have nudged him over the sideline.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:35 am Yeah, don't think that's accurate either.... but if it's a choice between Jack Wighton having the ball, and Jarrod Croker having the ball, Jack Wighton kinda wins out every time.

Croker should be making do with what he gets, which is more than any of the other outside backs.
The problem with our halves (both of them) dominating the ball is the same problem we had with Hodgson dominating the ball. The defence is able to focus all of their attention on one or two players and our backline is completely shut down. In the first half of the season Wighton didn't play direct enough and consistently drifted left with the ball, often offloading to Croker with zero room to move. It was completely pointless and actually made both Wighton and Croker ineffective in attack.

Sure you want both Wighton and Williams to control the play and use their running games to full effect, but unless they keep the defence in two minds and give their outside backs early ball (in room) on a regular basis, we will continue to look clunky in attack. Thankfully it improved a bit as the season went on.

Saying any player should "make do with what he gets" completely misses the point of why and how one team's attack looks cohesive, while another team looks like 13 chickens with their heads cut off.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on October 29, 2020, 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

The Nickman wrote: October 29, 2020, 7:06 am
Seiffert82 wrote:Half the ball he got this season was in no space, as Wighton drifted across the field to the left.

And over on the right the ball never went past Bateman. No wonder our three quarters are all rated as “duds” by our more clueless fans
Bateman missed 11 games in a 20 round season.
Last edited by Beejay on October 29, 2020, 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Beejay wrote: October 29, 2020, 1:03 pm
The Nickman wrote: October 29, 2020, 7:06 am

Bateman missed 11 games in a 20 round season.
Yeah, he did.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Actually 12 since he was rested in round 20
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Good stuff.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 29, 2020, 1:01 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:35 am Yeah, don't think that's accurate either.... but if it's a choice between Jack Wighton having the ball, and Jarrod Croker having the ball, Jack Wighton kinda wins out every time.

The problem with our halves (both of them) dominating the ball is the same problem we had with Hodgson dominating the ball. The defence is able to focus all of their attention on one or two players and our backline is completely shut down. In the first half of the season Wighton didn't play direct enough and consistently drifted left with the ball, often offloading to Croker with zero room to move. It was completely pointless and actually made both Wighton and Croker ineffective in attack.

Sure you want both Wighton and Williams to control the play and use their running games to full effect, but unless they keep the defence in two minds and give their outside backs early ball (in room) on a regular basis, we will continue to look clunky in attack. Thankfully it improved a bit as the season went on.

Saying any player should "make do with what he gets" completely misses the point of why and how one team's attack looks cohesive, while another team looks like 13 chickens with their heads cut off.
You can argue amount he's receiving, but you can't argue that he's not receiving it at all. There'd be a point being made here if he was showing quality in his touches, if in fact it were true that he wasn't receiving the ball much.... but he's not.

He's always worked off a low bar with pace and power, and as such he loses a lot when those aspects of his game go into decline. I lost count of how many times he'd get into previously where he'd usually be able to cut through the line with the opposition backpedalling and put his winger away, but couldn't muster the physical ability to do so anymore - and that's just one current concern about him.
Last edited by afgtnk on October 29, 2020, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Oh, I highly doubt you lost count... in fact I'd wager you've got it ALL tallied away somewhere
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: October 29, 2020, 2:22 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 29, 2020, 1:01 pm

You can argue amount he's receiving, but you can't argue that he's not receiving it at all. There'd be a point being made here if he was showing quality in his touches, if in fact it were true that he wasn't receiving the ball much.... but he's not.

He's always worked off a low bar with pace and power, and as such he loses a lot when those aspects of his game go into decline. I lost count of how many times he'd get into previously where he'd usually be able to cut through the line with the opposition backpedalling and put his winger away, but couldn't muster the physical ability to do so anymore - and that's just one current concern about him.
He actually had more carries per game this season than last. I'm talking about the quality of the position he's receiving the ball in, not the number of times.

Anyway, I've already said Croker had a sub-par season. Time to move on.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It's Wighton's fault Toots had a crook year?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

BadnMean wrote: October 29, 2020, 6:08 pm It's Wighton's fault Toots had a crook year?
According to Seiffert82 and The Nickman - yes. In which case, you definitely know it's not true.

Edit: Cotric is also to blame because he didn't keep playing alongside him.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: October 29, 2020, 6:08 pm It's Wighton's fault Toots had a crook year?
Yep, that's it. Talk about half reading what I've said.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

7 is pretty generous IMO.

For mine it is more like a 4/5. Maybe I’ll bump him to 5.5 because his goal kicking this year was good.

Croker worries me because he is lacking the things (pace and power) which Father Time does not return to you once he has taken them away the first time.
Up The Milk