The Roar: Raiders greatest ever team

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Boss
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by The Boss »

Just posted article doing Canberra greatest ever team. Link below do you agree with this team ?
https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/10/22/c ... -nrl-team/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Roar: Raiders greatest ever team

Post by greeneyed »

A greatest ever team which says the club was established in 1967, spells Jarrod and Jason Croker’s name as “Crocker”; selects Jack Wighton at centre; treats a local junior as a a Broncos player and omits Steve Walters probably won’t be taken seriously.

We vote on this every five years: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31412
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: October 23, 2020, 4:29 am A greatest ever team which says the club was established in 1967, spells Jarrod and Jason Croker’s name as “Crocker”; selects Jack Wighton at centre; treats a local junior as a a Broncos player and omits Steve Walters probably won’t be taken seriously.

We vote on this every five years: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31412
:lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Well that was probably the most inept attempt at a best ever Raiders team I have ever witnessed. Surprised it didn’t include Royce Simmons, Barry Crocker and Mark Geyer.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: October 23, 2020, 4:29 am A greatest ever team which says the club was established in 1967, spells Jarrod and Jason Croker’s name as “Crocker”; selects Jack Wighton at centre; treats a local junior as a a Broncos player and omits Steve Walters probably won’t be taken seriously.

And Glenn Lazarus - indisputably one of the great props of the modern era, arguably best since Artie- can't make a team that Lomax and Pongia can? He started his career here and played just as long at the Raiders as he did any other club (5 seasons here, maybe 5/6 at Brisbane, a few at Storm).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: October 23, 2020, 8:52 am

And Glenn Lazarus - indisputably one of the great props of the modern era, arguably best since Artie- can't make a team that Lomax and Pongia can? He started his career here and played just as long at the Raiders as he did any other club (5 seasons here, maybe 5/6 at Brisbane, a few at Storm).
It was explained it is because Lazarus played 120 games for Brisbane, and 93 for Canberra. But when a local junior, a Canberra Raiders product, who played in five finals series, three Grand Finals and won two premierships with the Raiders is excluded... then there is something wrong with your eligibility rule!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

So Darren Porter is closer to selection than Glenn Lazarus. Makes complete sense.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on October 23, 2020, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Hard to leave Wighton out. Doesn't have a long rep history but he's now got a Clive Churchill and Dally M medal. You could have him as a bench utility but who would be your other centre?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Clickbait.

Make a few "controversial" picks, and a few lame errors (year, Crocker).

*profit*
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

hrundi89 wrote: October 23, 2020, 11:11 am Clickbait.

Make a few "controversial" picks, and a few lame errors (year, Crocker).

*profit*
In their defence some autocorrects often change Croker to Crocker.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Northern Raider wrote: October 23, 2020, 10:08 am

Hard to leave Wighton out. Doesn't have a long rep history but he's now got a Clive Churchill and Dally M medal. You could have him as a bench utility but who would be your other centre?
If you have to pick players to play in their positions it would be a better side with Daley at center and Jack at 5/8th vs Croker and no Jack.

Or you could pick Wiki and have Jason Croker in the backrow, or even Peter Jackson at Center who would make it on peak form comfortably.

It depends what made up rules and made up teams this side plays I guess.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

NoMan wrote: October 23, 2020, 12:05 pm

If you have to pick players to play in their positions it would be a better side with Daley at center and Jack at 5/8th vs Croker and no Jack.

Or you could pick Wiki and have Jason Croker in the backrow, or even Peter Jackson at Center who would make it on peak form comfortably.

If you're picking your best ever team then the halves are Stuart and Daley. Wighton slots into the centres, where he's played for both Raiders and rep footy. I'm not sure why GE finds that so objectionable.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: October 23, 2020, 12:37 pm

If you're picking your best ever team then the halves are Stuart and Daley. Wighton slots into the centres, where he's played for both Raiders and rep footy. I'm not sure why GE finds that so objectionable.
I don’t think it’s “objectionable”. But Jack Wighton has only played 21 games at centre for the Raiders in 178 games. I don’t think he can really be considered to be one of the Raiders’ best ever centres. There are better Raiders centres to choose from, players who spent a considerable number of games in the role. I wouldn’t pick players out of position in a greatest ever team, certainly not in the starting team. The other issue is, Jack Wighton is still playing. It’s much more sensible to consider the position of players in the annals of history, one their playing career is over for mine... particularly if you’re saying they are so strong, they should be selected out of position.

For the same reason, I wouldn’t pick Brett Mullins out of position in a greatest ever Raiders team. He was primarily a fullback, and I think Belcher was better in the No. 1 jersey. And there are better centres and wingers in Raiders history than Mullins. Mullins had 48 games in green at centre and 12 on the wing. Mullins probably has a greater claim at centre than Wighton right now.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Sorry but that side and article is poor. There are players out of position, reasons for not incl players in a 'Greatest' side are rubbish. Worse still, there are spelling mistakes to players names.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

IMO these Greatest of All Time teams need to be picked on the basis that you'd run them against the same teams from other clubs. If we really boil this down, it becomes a measuring contest between supporters of different clubs.

As such, guys like Jarrod Croker and Alan Tongue would be flat out battling to make our third/fourth string side, let alone first. In a hypothetical contest, Jarrod Croker would get utterly destroyed against great opposition centres and be the team's main weakness.

Recently Mal Meninga named Peter Jackson as one of his starting centres and captain of his best ever Raiders side. The guy also played 16 Origins and 13 Tests - if that's not good enough to get into our side, then I don't know what is.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: October 23, 2020, 12:53 pm

I don’t think it’s “objectionable”. But Jack Wighton has only played 21 games at centre for the Raiders in 178 games. I don’t think he can really be considered to be one of the Raiders’ best ever centres. There are better Raiders centres to choose from, players who spent a considerable number of games in the role. I wouldn’t pick players out of position in a greatest ever team, certainly not in the starting team. The other issue is, Jack Wighton is still playing. It’s much more sensible to consider the position of players in the annals of history, one their playing career is over for mine... particularly if you’re saying they are so strong, they should be selected out of position.

For the same reason, I wouldn’t pick Brett Mullins out of position in a greatest ever Raiders team. He was primarily a fullback, and I think Belcher was better in the No. 1 jersey. And there are better centres and wingers in Raiders history than Mullins. Mullins had 48 games in green at centre and 12 on the wing. Mullins probably has a greater claim at centre than Wighton right now.
Fair call. Comes back to what NoMan said. It depends on the criteria for selecting it. If you're wanting to pick the best 17 and have players in a position outside their regular role then that works too. No reason it can't be taken seriously.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: October 23, 2020, 3:22 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 23, 2020, 12:53 pm

Fair call. Comes back to what NoMan said. It depends on the criteria for selecting it. If you're wanting to pick the best 17 and have players in a position outside their regular role then that works too. No reason it can't be taken seriously.
There were other reasons.
The Boss
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by The Boss »

This is the Brisbane team I done earlier in the week. How you reckon you guys will fare against them.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/10/21/b ... -nrl-team/
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Our spine destroys theirs.

Not sure who this Darren Locker is that you've named though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I expect we’d be better off if Glenn Lazarus had been named for his rightful team. :lol: ;)
The Boss
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by The Boss »

As I will be having a fantasy tournament where the greatest teams of every squad will be playing each so the same player can’t play each other. As both Brisbane and Canberra both have claims for Glenn Lazarus whatever team he plays for the most will be the team he is picked for first.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: October 23, 2020, 4:51 pm I expect we’d be better off if Glenn Lazarus had been named for his rightful team. :lol: ;)
Seibold won the trade.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Boss wrote: October 23, 2020, 5:07 pm As I will be having a fantasy tournament where the greatest teams of every squad will be playing each so the same player can’t play each other. As both Brisbane and Canberra both have claims for Glenn Lazarus whatever team he plays for the most will be the team he is picked for first.
You asked for our views... and it’s a farcical eligibility criterion, in my opinion. A “fantasy tournament” is pretty much irrelevant, if the selections for a club’s greatest ever team are to be considered seriously. Glenn Lazarus is a member of the Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame. He’s a Canberra product. As per the link above, he loved being picked by the Raiders fans as one of the club’s greatest ever props. The Broncos are simply poachers. No greatest ever Canberra a Raiders team can have Glenn Lazarus omitted. Anyway, that’s my view.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

At what point does elliot surpass furner in our greatest team? Dont get me wrong, furner was amazing, but Elliot is an absolute stud who joined the team when we were struggling and has played a major role in our resurgence
The Boss
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by The Boss »

I agree Lazarus is in the best Raiders team ever but for this tournament I’m doing just to have some fun in the boring offseason. I really appreciate every ones feedback. It’s was a dilemma for me when it came to issues like this. I’m sure Storm fans are going to be upset Greg Inglis will be in the Souths squad. I understand Lazarus is beloved and and local junior but, I couldn’t find another way to do this.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Well at least get our entry date into the comp right if you want a semblance of credibility.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

FROG wrote: October 23, 2020, 6:03 pm At what point does elliot surpass furner in our greatest team? Dont get me wrong, furner was amazing, but Elliot is an absolute stud who joined the team when we were struggling and has played a major role in our resurgence
It's hard because Furner was a genuine stud in a star studded line up, but he was before his time a little bit as a backrower, and he was involved in insanely succcessful teams
Whitehead is absolutely in that discussion though and i think it's close enough that i wouldnt argue with anyone picking either over the other... both wonderfully skillful players who never got the kudos they deserved imo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Boss wrote: October 23, 2020, 6:49 pm I agree Lazarus is in the best Raiders team ever but for this tournament I’m doing just to have some fun in the boring offseason. I really appreciate every ones feedback. It’s was a dilemma for me when it came to issues like this. I’m sure Storm fans are going to be upset Greg Inglis will be in the Souths squad. I understand Lazarus is beloved and and local junior but, I couldn’t find another way to do this.
Right, so the whole thing is a farce. You’re up to two teams and it’s already a joke. So why are we even discussing this team list?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

The Boss wrote: October 23, 2020, 3:49 pm This is the Brisbane team I done earlier in the week. How you reckon you guys will fare against them.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/10/21/b ... -nrl-team/
I'm confused by the comment stating Matt Gillett's peak was longer than Sam Thaiday's.
The Boss
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by The Boss »

I wouldn’t call it a farce, just trying to find a solution. At least there is a method to my madness, I’m sure Broncos fans be equally upset if Lazarus wasn’t on the team. Any what you guys have one of the better teams and have a good shot of winning I’ll let you know when your first matchup is on.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

afgtnk wrote: October 23, 2020, 3:13 pm IMO these Greatest of All Time teams need to be picked on the basis that you'd run them against the same teams from other clubs. If we really boil this down, it becomes a measuring contest between supporters of different clubs.

As such, guys like Jarrod Croker and Alan Tongue would be flat out battling to make our third/fourth string side, let alone first. In a hypothetical contest, Jarrod Croker would get utterly destroyed against great opposition centres and be the team's main weakness.

Recently Mal Meninga named Peter Jackson as one of his starting centres and captain of his best ever Raiders side. The guy also played 16 Origins and 13 Tests - if that's not good enough to get into our side, then I don't know what is.
Jackson was a good player and unfortunately we didn't see the best of him always. 1988 was his best year. Much better than Croker. But Jack needs to be in the team.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

No Lazarus? For Lomax (I thought Pongia was better than him, God bless his soul)
No Boxhead? For Hodgson (Bench)
No Chicka? For Mullins (Bench)
No Lance? For Wiki (Bench)
No take serious
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Stop it, he’s already dead!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 24, 2020, 3:30 am No Lazarus? For Lomax (I thought Pongia was better than him, God bless his soul)
No Boxhead? For Hodgson (Bench)
No Chicka? For Mullins (Bench)
No Lance? For Wiki (Bench)
No take serious
The only one of those I'd argue is Wiki/Lance. Lance was a great defender and leader... but so was Wiki who also offered an entire attacking and mobility dimension that Lance couldn't. Wiki has to be in there somewhere- but could be at centre, 2nd row or prop just as well.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

It's Wiki over Lance by a long way. One was a edge of rep footy work horse while the other is a hall of famer.