Toughest preseason ever 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134337
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad still not satisfied

In 2020 Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad built upon his breakout 2019 campaign and pushed himself towards the level of an elite-level custodian. Still, he's not satisfied.

"I've been talking to the coaches, and I was really proud of how far I'd come last year because when you look at videos from 2019 and go to 2020, there was a lot of improvement. I wouldn't really put myself in that top NRL fullback bracket at the moment, just because I do know there's a lot of areas in my game that I want to improve on."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/18/rai ... fight-cnk/
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134337
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Sticky selections: 2000 games of depth leave Canberra rivals in dust

The worst injury crisis of Ricky Stuart's coaching career has helped establish one of the strongest forward rotations in recent memory. Canberra will boast more than 2000 games of top-flight experience across 14 forwards in 2021, a figure none of their 15 NRL rivals come close to matching.

"I'd hate to be Ricky picking his squad. I'm in that boat too, there's no guarantees for a lot of spots," Sia Soliola said. "We're always getting tested, Sticky lays down the challenge to us every training session."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/19/sti ... s-in-dust/
Image
User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14659
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by bonehead »

under Furner we had the least experience in the comp, we've come a long long way

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6240
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Bay53 »

bonehead wrote: January 19, 2021, 2:24 pm under Furner we had the least experience in the comp, we've come a long long way

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Disagree. Furner’s forwards had plenty of experience. Early on he had Thompson, Miller, Tongue then Shillo, Brett White, TLL and the even brought in people from other clubs such as Bronson Harrison, Glen Turner, Neville Costigan etc.

Whether they were good enough is another matter - but they had experience.

I would argue the forwards when fit were not the issue with Furner’s teams.
User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26991
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Northern Raider »

Bay53 wrote: January 19, 2021, 3:13 pm
bonehead wrote: January 19, 2021, 2:24 pm under Furner we had the least experience in the comp, we've come a long long way

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Disagree. Furner’s forwards had plenty of experience. Early on he had Thompson, Miller, Tongue then Shillo, Brett White, TLL and the even brought in people from other clubs such as Bronson Harrison, Glen Turner, Neville Costigan etc.

Whether they were good enough is another matter - but they had experience.

I would argue the forwards when fit were not the issue with Furner’s teams.
Think we had a mix of experience and youth in the pack at the time. Realistically thats the case for most NRL teams. What Furner didn't have was a decent fullback, halfback or hooker for most of his tenure.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14659
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
Bay53 wrote: January 19, 2021, 3:13 pm
bonehead wrote: January 19, 2021, 2:24 pm under Furner we had the least experience in the comp, we've come a long long way

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Disagree. Furner’s forwards had plenty of experience. Early on he had Thompson, Miller, Tongue then Shillo, Brett White, TLL and the even brought in people from other clubs such as Bronson Harrison, Glen Turner, Neville Costigan etc.

Whether they were good enough is another matter - but they had experience.

I would argue the forwards when fit were not the issue with Furner’s teams.
Think we had a mix of experience and youth in the pack at the time. Realistically thats the case for most NRL teams. What Furner didn't have was a decent fullback, halfback or hooker for most of his tenure.
I remember articles of matches played totals and we were a long way the least experienced, maybe it was under Henry but thought it was Furner

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29321
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Botman »

the Furner era pushed the chips all in on the U20's premiership team

It was inexperienced in parts largely by design (and necessity since the club doesnt have FA pull without someone like Stuart), but the inability to find a better options at key positions over Waddell/Buttriss and McCrone gave him and the team no shot what so ever. Campese's knee exploding didnt help. And a club culture that lead to hugely talented footballers like Carney, Dugan and Fergo going off the rails speaks to not a great situation on any level of the club

And ultimately that was on the HC and the club for not being able to solve those problems. There are elements of Stuart as a coach that still make me roll my eyes... but you cannot doubt the impact he's had on the club.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
magoo
Dean Lance
Posts: 828
Joined: March 9, 2015, 12:19 pm
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead
Location: maroochydore

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by magoo »

Agreed. I don't always agree with some of Ricky's decisions, but he has definitely put this club on the path to success.
User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14659
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:the Furner era pushed the chips all in on the U20's premiership team

It was inexperienced in parts largely by design (and necessity since the club doesnt have FA pull without someone like Stuart), but the inability to find a better options at key positions over Waddell/Buttriss and McCrone gave him and the team no shot what so ever. Campese's knee exploding didnt help. And a club culture that lead to hugely talented footballers like Carney, Dugan and Fergo going off the rails speaks to not a great situation on any level of the club

And ultimately that was on the HC and the club for not being able to solve those problems. There are elements of Stuart as a coach that still make me roll my eyes... but you cannot doubt the impact he's had on the club.
absolutely spot on, my point was more we've come from the bottom to the top experience wise and the results reflect that in consistency

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24094
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Seiffert82 »

Brisbane's situation now reminds me of what Henry was dealing with during his tenure. Their most talented players are also their least disciplined off the field. Milford, Pangai and now Hass are causing headaches. Lodge has history. They also have a lot of young players across their starting 17. It's a terrible mix.

The difference being, all eyes are on the Broncos and when they implode it's done in an absolutely spectacular way.

Like the Raiders with Furner, the Broncos have rolled the dice on a rookie coach (after doing their best to poach Bennett back, like we did with Stuart at the time). Kevin Walters has a real job on his hands.
User avatar
BJ
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5130
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by BJ »

The Henry/Furner forward packs were strong but not well balanced.

Our current forwards offer a varying range of skills and strengths.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134337
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by greeneyed »



Image
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6240
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Bay53 »

Yep Origin players back today, saw Jacko and Papalli up the street at lunch time. I thought they were due back tomorrow.

Mick Ennis also in town working with the boys.

Short but important period to come. 7 1/2 weeks to round 1.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134337
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star George Williams told by England boss Shaun Wane he can do even more

National boss Wane has held meetings with players based Down Under – Williams, Josh Hodgson, Elliott Whitehead, Ryan Sutton, Thomas Burgess, Herbie Farnworth and Luke Thompson.

He said: “George has done OK but I know him very, very well and he needs to and can do a lot better, no question about that, with me. He’s a typical case. He’s doing OK at Canberra but I watched some games they raved about and I thought, ‘I must be watching a different game.’ I see it very differently, I’m not getting carried away with what Canberra think of him. He can do a lot more.”

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13772805 ... even-more/
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134337
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Image
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24094
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: January 20, 2021, 6:02 pm Canberra Raiders star George Williams told by England boss Shaun Wane he can do even more

National boss Wane has held meetings with players based Down Under – Williams, Josh Hodgson, Elliott Whitehead, Ryan Sutton, Thomas Burgess, Herbie Farnworth and Luke Thompson.

He said: “George has done OK but I know him very, very well and he needs to and can do a lot better, no question about that, with me. He’s a typical case. He’s doing OK at Canberra but I watched some games they raved about and I thought, ‘I must be watching a different game.’ I see it very differently, I’m not getting carried away with what Canberra think of him. He can do a lot more.”

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13772805 ... even-more/
For a nation that regularly gets their **** handed to them, they have some pretty opinionated coaches.

Williams clearly adjusted his game to meet the needs of the Raiders. It's a great platform to take his play to the next level, but he's not here to carry the team.

I also don't think Shaun Wane appreciates how intense this comp is every week. He should stick to perfecting his flipper and that bloody mystery ball.
User avatar
gergreg
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9009
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by gergreg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote: January 20, 2021, 6:02 pm Canberra Raiders star George Williams told by England boss Shaun Wane he can do even more

National boss Wane has held meetings with players based Down Under – Williams, Josh Hodgson, Elliott Whitehead, Ryan Sutton, Thomas Burgess, Herbie Farnworth and Luke Thompson.

He said: “George has done OK but I know him very, very well and he needs to and can do a lot better, no question about that, with me. He’s a typical case. He’s doing OK at Canberra but I watched some games they raved about and I thought, ‘I must be watching a different game.’ I see it very differently, I’m not getting carried away with what Canberra think of him. He can do a lot more.”

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13772805 ... even-more/
For a nation that regularly gets their **** handed to them, they have some pretty opinionated coaches.

Williams clearly adjusted his game to meet the needs of the Raiders. It's a great platform to take his play to the next level, but he's not here to carry the team.

I also don't think Shaun Wane appreciates how intense this comp is every week. He should stick to perfecting his flipper and that bloody mystery ball.
And (focus) on beating the Kumuls.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8330
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: January 20, 2021, 6:02 pm Canberra Raiders star George Williams told by England boss Shaun Wane he can do even more

National boss Wane has held meetings with players based Down Under – Williams, Josh Hodgson, Elliott Whitehead, Ryan Sutton, Thomas Burgess, Herbie Farnworth and Luke Thompson.

He said: “George has done OK but I know him very, very well and he needs to and can do a lot better, no question about that, with me. He’s a typical case. He’s doing OK at Canberra but I watched some games they raved about and I thought, ‘I must be watching a different game.’ I see it very differently, I’m not getting carried away with what Canberra think of him. He can do a lot more.”

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13772805 ... even-more/
This guy seriously needs to STFU. George Williams is one of the two best halves you have - pick him and just do your job and coach mate.
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29321
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Botman »

This guy is on my radar BIG time.
His approach to George is VERY off putting to me. Maybe that **** flies in a sub par comp where Michael mfing Dobson is a Man of Steel, but If you think you get more out of talent, then come and prove you can hang with the best in the world... put up or shut up time, Shuan.

I get what he's trying to do, i understand his goals and his aims but this is such a cheap, Bull route to get there.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
User avatar
BadnMean
Jason Croker
Posts: 4265
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 20, 2021, 8:09 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 20, 2021, 6:02 pm Canberra Raiders star George Williams told by England boss Shaun Wane he can do even more

National boss Wane has held meetings with players based Down Under – Williams, Josh Hodgson, Elliott Whitehead, Ryan Sutton, Thomas Burgess, Herbie Farnworth and Luke Thompson.

He said: “George has done OK but I know him very, very well and he needs to and can do a lot better, no question about that, with me. He’s a typical case. He’s doing OK at Canberra but I watched some games they raved about and I thought, ‘I must be watching a different game.’ I see it very differently, I’m not getting carried away with what Canberra think of him. He can do a lot more.”

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13772805 ... even-more/
For a nation that regularly gets their **** handed to them, they have some pretty opinionated coaches.

Williams clearly adjusted his game to meet the needs of the Raiders. It's a great platform to take his play to the next level, but he's not here to carry the team.

I also don't think Shaun Wane appreciates how intense this comp is every week. He should stick to perfecting his flipper and that bloody mystery ball.
He said the same thing last year. He's in a tricky position and very, very aware of his responsibility to boost up British Super League which is really struggling. So he can't publicly just sound like being in the NRL is so much better and the be all and end all. He seems to want G Willy to evolve into an organising or dominant half- which he probably will miss the boat on doing here with Hodgo soaking up a lot of ball and Wighton also whenever we attack.
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24094
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: January 21, 2021, 7:12 am
Seiffert82 wrote: January 20, 2021, 8:09 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 20, 2021, 6:02 pm Canberra Raiders star George Williams told by England boss Shaun Wane he can do even more

National boss Wane has held meetings with players based Down Under – Williams, Josh Hodgson, Elliott Whitehead, Ryan Sutton, Thomas Burgess, Herbie Farnworth and Luke Thompson.

He said: “George has done OK but I know him very, very well and he needs to and can do a lot better, no question about that, with me. He’s a typical case. He’s doing OK at Canberra but I watched some games they raved about and I thought, ‘I must be watching a different game.’ I see it very differently, I’m not getting carried away with what Canberra think of him. He can do a lot more.”

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13772805 ... even-more/
For a nation that regularly gets their **** handed to them, they have some pretty opinionated coaches.

Williams clearly adjusted his game to meet the needs of the Raiders. It's a great platform to take his play to the next level, but he's not here to carry the team.

I also don't think Shaun Wane appreciates how intense this comp is every week. He should stick to perfecting his flipper and that bloody mystery ball.
He said the same thing last year. He's in a tricky position and very, very aware of his responsibility to boost up British Super League which is really struggling. So he can't publicly just sound like being in the NRL is so much better and the be all and end all. He seems to want G Willy to evolve into an organising or dominant half- which he probably will miss the boat on doing here with Hodgo soaking up a lot of ball and Wighton also whenever we attack.
Yeah, I don't think Williams is in a position to deliver what Wane is looking for. In saying that, he will ultimately turn out to be a much more well-rounded half. His defence will continue to improve and impress and his ball playing is coming along nicely to complement his running game.

As you say, he's not going to dominate the ball like he would over there though. It just won't happen.
User avatar
BadnMean
Jason Croker
Posts: 4265
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by BadnMean »

He had a dogs breakfast of a right side to work with re ball playing for most of the year. Bateman in and out. An unfit Rapana. Scott playing poorly. Rapana out of position. Young out of position (imo).

It'll be interesting to see how he evolves this season. He'll want to do more and RIcky will ask a little bit more of him as well, now that he has had that break in period and settled in with his 2 strengths- running and short kicking. Now he'll add to that.
User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14659
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by bonehead »

without scrutinising the draw, he should be great on those greasy night home games with his footwork

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6240
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Bay53 »

As I said last year - if we have his former coach and current coach of the National team saying that Williams can get a lot better - that doesn’t make me hate Shaun Wane - it makes me really excited that George can go to another level. If he does we are probably going to win trophies.
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6240
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Bay53 »

Botman wrote: January 20, 2021, 8:52 pm but If you think you get more out of talent, then come and prove you can hang with the best in the world... put up or shut up time, Shuan.
Wane has made no secret of his desire to coach in the NRL. We just need clubs to get their heads out of the sand and understand this guy is world class.

Our team is not looking for a coach, but if we were this guy would be top of the list.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134337
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by greeneyed »





GALLERY: Slogging it out in the heat: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/01 ... -the-heat/
Image
User avatar
BJ
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5130
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by BJ »

Sutton, Ryan James, Hudson Young and Tapine looking lean and fit.

Others looking as normal. No fat farm for anyone hopefully.

CHN looking very big, but it may just be the angle. And the hair.
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6240
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Bay53 »

BJ wrote: January 22, 2021, 3:50 pm Sutton, Ryan James, Hudson Young and Tapine looking lean and fit.

Others looking as normal. No fat farm for anyone hopefully.

CHN looking very big, but it may just be the angle. And the hair.
There are some great pics in there. Well done to whoever took the photos. Really enjoying having the training ground just up the road from work. Only issue is they are normally pretty much finished when I go for a walk at lunchtime, particularly this time to the year with the heat.

Queensland restriction changes today mean they are back at 100% crowds for outdoor sporting events. Hopefully in the next 7 weeks NSW/ACT will get close to that too.

Lots to be excited about.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134337
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Shiny and new: Every club's best recruit for 2021

Canberra Raiders
Harry Rushton
The Raiders have lost a star English back-rower in John Bateman, but they've potentially picked up another one for the future. Still only 19 and eligible to play Jersey Flegg, Harry Rushton was recruited from Wigan (like Bateman) on a three-year deal and could eventually force his way into the NRL team once he finds his feet down under.

Others: Ryan James (Titans), Caleb Aekins (Panthers), Albert Hopoate (Sea Eagles)

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/22/shi ... -for-2021/
Image
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1100
Joined: February 12, 2013, 11:11 pm
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Cranky Old Man »

BJ wrote: January 22, 2021, 3:50 pm Sutton, Ryan James, Hudson Young and Tapine looking lean and fit.

Others looking as normal. No fat farm for anyone hopefully.

CHN looking very big, but it may just be the angle. And the hair.
Agree, although I was thinking that Sutton had appeared to have bulked up a bit.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134337
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Pre-season update with Nigel Ashley-Jones: Head of Physical Performance Nigel Ashley-Jones has provided an update on the condition of the playing squad as the full top 30 return to training this week: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/01 ... ley-jones/

Interesting. Only player NAJ singled out is Seb Kris.
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134337
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forwards Hudson Young, Corey Harawira-Naera in race to replace John Bateman



Even accounting for the loss of John Bateman, the Raiders might have the best forward pack in the NRL. But who will step up to replace the English star?

“Corey’s played there for a little while and Hudson is such a great talent,” said Sia Soliola. “Both are great players with a lot of energy – everyone enjoys the toughness they bring, especially with Huddo, be brings a ruggedness to the squad. But we really enjoy Corey as well because he really lifts the tempo. Nobody is guaranteed their spot.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 691ab257f7
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134337
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Ranking each NRL club's goal-kicking stocks for 2021

3. Raiders: Jarrod Croker, 80.2%
2020 form: Jarrod Croker 71/87, 81.6%; Sam Williams 5/7, 71.4%; George Williams NA.

One of the premier kickers of the past decade, Croker was at his reliable best in 2020, kicking just better than his career average. Depth is an issue if the durable skipper misses much footy – as he is expected to do in the opening rounds – with Sam Williams sitting outside a fully-fit best 17. George Williams has kicked 69 goals in the Super League but has yet to have a shot in the NRL.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/25/ran ... -for-2021/
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134337
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by greeneyed »





Image
User avatar
Makaveli
Steve Walters
Posts: 7000
Joined: January 16, 2005, 9:49 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Makaveli »

Are those the Toyota jerseys?
Post Reply