Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: February 3, 2021, 5:47 pm
Botman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: February 3, 2021, 2:26 pm I don't have the slightest bit of concern about second year syndrome for George Williams. That might be an issue for a break out rookie, but that's not George Williams.
agreed
this is a 26 year old veteran of 200 FG games. Being good and back up good season on good season is not new for him.
That’s one aspect of second year syndrome. But there’s also the aspect of having your game better understood by your competitors which george will still face.
The game tape aspect is indeed a big part of second year syndrome... George Williams has 200 games of tape available. Anyone who played him in 2020 and didnt understand who and what he was as a footballer, is telling on themselves in regards to their level of preparation.

I cant see 2YS being a factor in Williams 2021 campaign.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

BJ wrote:I don’t think our pack struggled to make meters. But certainly our outside backs didn’t make the meters that other teams made and struggled in this area.
Only team in the 8 to make negative metres I think.....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: February 3, 2021, 5:47 pm
Botman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: February 3, 2021, 2:26 pm I don't have the slightest bit of concern about second year syndrome for George Williams. That might be an issue for a break out rookie, but that's not George Williams.
agreed
this is a 26 year old veteran of 200 FG games. Being good and back up good season on good season is not new for him.
That’s one aspect of second year syndrome. But there’s also the aspect of having your game better understood by your competitors which george will still face.
The game tape aspect is indeed a big part of second year syndrome... George Williams has 200 games of tape available. Anyone who played him in 2020 and didnt understand who and what he was as a footballer, is telling on themselves in regards to their level of preparation.

I cant see 2YS being a factor in Williams 2021 campaign.
There wasn’t any game tape of what he’d do in the NRL. You’re always happy to tell us how different ESL is...

I wouldn’t be surprised to find that teams were quite lazy in researching poms and other players who weren’t already visible threats with easily accessible footage.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

i think you underestimate the level of preparation that goes in a professional sport at this level.

The ESL is different, there is no question about that, the quality if chalk and cheese, but not a single coach was shocked by the style of player George Williams,he was as advertised. The only question was would it translate at a higher level? He proved very early on that it would. So once you know he's NRL standard the question goes back to the same as any player... what are his strengths and weaknesses?

There might be some really trash coaches and organisations who didnt do due dilligence and only looked at his NRL tape but even then, he put out some pretty strong stuff in games 1-4 and it was pretty clear on his talent, his strengths and weaknesses.

This is not a guy who succeeded in 2020 because no one prepared for him. I dont see 2YS being a factor at all. If he struggles in 2021, it's going to be form/regression related, not because he's been "figured out"
Last edited by Botman on February 6, 2021, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

dubby wrote:
BJ wrote:I don’t think our pack struggled to make meters. But certainly our outside backs didn’t make the meters that other teams made and struggled in this area.

Yes. That’s not what I’m saying. But was the lack of meters due to the forwards or the backs not making ground in the first few tackles of a set? I don’t think our wingers and centres made the amount of meters that other teams did.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:i think you underestimate the level of preparation that goes in a professional sport at this level.
In the past I would have agreed with you. I’m not sure this is true anymore. Storm, sure. Other clubs, not as convinced.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: February 6, 2021, 8:57 pm
Botman wrote:i think you underestimate the level of preparation that goes in a professional sport at this level.
In the past I would have agreed with you. I’m not sure this is true anymore. Storm, sure. Other clubs, not as convinced.
You could be right on that... but im not really worried about the Justin Holbrooks and Dean Pay's of the NRL world... Bellemy, Bennett, Robinson.... the HC's we're competing against when rubber meets the road, they knew what Georgie boy was from day dot and game planned for it. He performed strongly against those sides
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: February 6, 2021, 8:50 pm
dubby wrote:

Yes. That’s not what I’m saying. But was the lack of meters due to the forwards or the backs not making ground in the first few tackles of a set? I don’t think our wingers and centres made the amount of meters that other teams did.
Certainly we didn't have someone making the yards Mansauce made Penrith or guys like Vunivalu and Olam made Storm. They were both also willing to go wide early to use speed in addition to that. I don't think our wingers were especially bad, just not up to the old Rapana and Joey show levels.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Roaming Elliott at Channel 9 shoot: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/02 ... l-9-shoot/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Scott Sattler says Canberra Raiders will take out the minor premiership

It may only be February, but premiership-winning Panther Scott Sattler has named his top eight for the 2021 NRL season. And the former lock believes the Canberra Raiders will take out the minor premiership, bouncing back from their fifth-placed finish in 2020.

Read more: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/02/07/ ... top-eight/
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I know we’re all expecting Williams to be back up kicker and kick while Croker is out. But is there any word from training on who has been practicing?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Region: South West, Group 20 – Griffith, Hay, Lake Cargelligo, West Wyalong, Leeton

Narrandera, Darlington Point and Coleambally
Dates: Monday 8 - Wednesday 10 Feb
NRL Club Ambassador/NRLW Player: Terry Campese (Raiders), Jeremy Latimore (Dragons), Steve Menzies (Sea Eagles), Luke Lewis (Sharks) and Dene Halatau (Tigers)

Region: Adelaide

Dates: Tuesday 8 – Thursday 11 Feb
NRL Club Ambassador/NRLW Player: Georgia Hale (NRLW NZ Warriors) and Alan Tongue (Raiders, NRL)

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/community/programs/ ... 1612410682

Current players not participating this year, I guess due to COVID.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: February 8, 2021, 11:12 am Image
The Hors looks like a serial killer in the back there. Or one of those dead people that pop up in photos to haunt people. :shock: :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart says he's happy with Papa, but Corey Harawira-Naera and Corey Horsburgh in the coach's bad books

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says he's happy with the fitness of his squad, with just two weeks to the club's pre-season trial against the Sydney Roosters at Seiffert Oval.

The Green Machine mentor is particularly happy with the fitness of prop Josh Papalii, who will make his boxing debut tomorrow night in Townsville.

But Stuart is disappointed with Corey Harawira-Naera and Corey Horsburgh, who were charged with drink driving in separate incidents over the Christmas break. It looks likely to cost them their spot in the team in Round 1.

"Like every other club, we're working very hard," Stuart said today.

"I feel we're working smart too. It's a tough part of the year for all players. This is the block, the last 10 or 12 weeks, where you've really got to put in a lot of work in physically and a lot of miles in their legs."

"I'm really happy with how our players have responded. They've broken the back, put it that way, we're just about at the back end of it now and we've got a trial in a couple of weeks time."

Josh Papalii weighed in today at 117.9 kgs prior to his boxing match with Ben Hannant tomorrow night. It's the biggest clash on an All Stars Boxing card, featuring a host current and former rugby league players.

Stuart is delighted with Papalii's pre season preparations.

"I couldn't be happier with Papa. His coach and our high performance team have been communicating so we don't burn Papa out," Stuart said.

"He can box as much as he wants while ever he's staying at 118-119 kgs for me. That is his best playing weight and Josh knows that. He's tremendously fit and he'll be back on board and ready to go again on Monday."

"If anything, he's probably lost a little bit of muscle. So once he finishes the extra work with the boxing, he'll jump back into getting that little bit of extra muscle back on."

"The loads he's had with a little bit more running, and the boxing itself, has helped him maintain his weight. He's lost a little bit of muscle but he will regain that very quickly before the season starts."

Stuart has spoken to both Corey Harawira-Naera and Corey Horsburgh about their separate drink driving incidents. He was quite blunt in saying it is set to cost them a place in his team.

"It is disappointing, but it's not my job to be keeping their spot in the 17. That's their job and they've just made it harder for themselves," Stuart said.

"They know it was a bad choice. Very, very disappointed to say the least. They're upset with themselves, they just put themselves on the back foot. We've got plenty of depth and it's just given someone else an opportunity."

"The one thing in our squad and at NRL level, there's always somebody to take your spot. Then it's your job to get it back. That's where they've put themselves."

"I've left it where it's at now, they've got their court case obviously pending. I've got others in the footy team I've got to try and get ready for game one."

"It won't be a disturbance, there'll be somebody else there to take that spot."

Stuart says he's happy with the rule changes introduced for 2021, which have been designed to speed up the game.

"Strategically, we've been looking at a number of ways to play the game with those rules," he said.

"We had a scrimmage yesterday with a referee, Phil Henderson, down here. Obviously, he applied all the new rules. It will take two or three weeks to get used to it, playing the real thing, outside scrimmage.

"I think they're good changes, that the game will evolve and be an even better product."

Stuart announced today that his Foundation has plans to build a third "house" - which would provide independent living accommodation for adults with a disability. The Ricky Stuart Foundation has built two houses already - the Ricky Stuart House and Emma Ruby House - with facilities for respite care for younger people.

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart speaks about preparations for 2021 season: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/02 ... 21-season/

VIDEO: Ryan Sutton outlines his ambitions for 2021: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/02 ... -for-2021/

NRL players facing stiffer financial penalties for breaking law, says Australia Rugby League chairman Peter V'Landys: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Raiders ready for NRL rule alterations after brutal preseason: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Raiders coach axes misbehaving duo over preseason blunder: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-2142528
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ref's scrimmage session with new rules runs Canberra Raiders ragged

A brutal scrimmage session overseen by NRL referee Phil Henderson has given the Raiders a glimpse into what can be expected under the further rule changes this season.

"The ref really showed us the second you try to slow anything down he's going to blow six-again until you get the speed right," five-eighth Jack Wighton said.

"Once we got the speed right, it was very fast. It's going to take a little while to get used to that, but there'll be some exciting footy."

"It's going to take the first three or four games to see which way you go with things and how the ruck is blown."

"But we've got a good mobile pack and some speedy men, so I think we'll go alright with the rules."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/12/ref ... rs-ragged/

VIDEO: Jack Wighton speaks about new rules: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/02 ... tars-week/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams set to take on Canberra Raiders goal-kicking duties in place of injured Jarrod Croker

George Williams is set to assume Canberra Raiders goal-kicking duties for the early stages of the NRL season, should captain Jarrod Croker fail to recover from shoulder surgery in time for round one.

"There's a few boys there that can kick, Georgey at the moment is a better kicker than he thinks he is, he probably hasn't kicked enough until now to realise that he is," Croker said. "If I do miss out I'd say he'd be the one there. Rapa and Bailey can both kick quite well but I think Georgey's probably the man.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

GALLERY: Friday Field Session: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/02 ... d-session/
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Well that answers the kicking question.

Be good for GWilly to see he's getting some extra responsibility too. The more he is seen as a "main man" in the team the better his halfback play will go I reckon. Right edge just needs an extra play or so going that direction per attacking set.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Bateman's strengths were numerous but hole hitting was not one of them. CHN in particular is an effective short ball hole hitter. Both CHN and Young don't naturally drift across field either. They'll fit more snugly into plays rather than feeling like they need to create.
Who knows whether that will be an overall improvement.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

zim wrote:Bateman's strengths were numerous but hole hitting was not one of them. CHN in particular is an effective short ball hole hitter. Both CHN and Young don't naturally drift across field either. They'll fit more snugly into plays rather than feeling like they need to create.
I think we’ll miss Batemans attitude more then his actual skill set this year, he was largely worked out last season but you can’t fault his effect on the team mentally.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I'm Bate Man wrote: February 12, 2021, 11:38 pm
zim wrote:Bateman's strengths were numerous but hole hitting was not one of them. CHN in particular is an effective short ball hole hitter. Both CHN and Young don't naturally drift across field either. They'll fit more snugly into plays rather than feeling like they need to create.
I think we’ll miss Batemans attitude more then his actual skill set this year, he was largely worked out last season but you can’t fault his effect on the team mentally.
I think so. We have to hope guys like James bring enough of that and that Bateman has shown other high energy players like Young the way to get it done and influence a game with attitude as much as anything else in your locker.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Geez I’m looking forward to seeing some footy from our boys.

Very excited about the season and I’ve high expectations about this squad.

Bring it on..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yeah we'll definitely miss that attitude. I should have been more specific. I was talking about right edge attacking structure this year vs last.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 10, 2021, 8:50 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 8, 2021, 11:12 am Image
The Hors looks like a serial killer in the back there. Or one of those dead people that pop up in photos to haunt people. :shock: :lol:
Does Joe Tapine do the gym sessions ?

He’s hiding while the boys are doing sit-ups surely..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Agree. He had a win at all costs mentality which seemed to rub off on the rest of the squad. I'm hoping that attitude is ingrained now and his presence won't be missed in that aspect.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

-PJ- wrote: February 14, 2021, 4:47 am

I read an article last year. He'd avoided the gym sessions his entire career. Just kind of showed up, pretended to move a few weights around- did everything he could to do as little as possible. Didn't like it, didn't really understand what to do. Was just purely relying on natural strength in games.

Then last season, the trainer got in his ear about his career and stepping up to be an example while all the other forwards went down. They found some gym sessions he could enjoy doing and get some benefit from. He had his best season ever. But he's still probably years of gym work behind the other players and I guess he'll never be one of those guys doing extra sessions of beach weights.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: February 14, 2021, 9:47 am
-PJ- wrote: February 14, 2021, 4:47 am

I read an article last year. He'd avoided the gym sessions his entire career. Just kind of showed up, pretended to move a few weights around- did everything he could to do as little as possible. Didn't like it, didn't really understand what to do. Was just purely relying on natural strength in games.

Then last season, the trainer got in his ear about his career and stepping up to be an example while all the other forwards went down. They found some gym sessions he could enjoy doing and get some benefit from. He had his best season ever. But he's still probably years of gym work behind the other players and I guess he'll never be one of those guys doing extra sessions of beach weights.
Yeah, that's right! It's scary to think how much of a machine he could be if he was a gym junkie.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

SBW always added fitness and gym sessions to his natural strength and football ability.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad hopeful for no more NRL bubble in season 2021

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has revealed the difficulties of dealing with the biosecurity protocols put in place last year, and said not being able to interact with fans in public was one of the toughest parts.

"There's still people around that might recognise you or want to come up and chat and you saw what happened with players that were a little bit unsure, and they got stung, and you're just not wanting that to happen to you and your club. It was pretty tough to have to do that to a lot of fans, especially the kids.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Curtis Scott ready to fire after legal drama and broken leg

He's fully fit after the most tumultuous season of his life, and now Curtis Scott is out to show Raiders fans exactly why Ricky Stuart was so keen to bring him to the capital.

"It's good to see him without the cloud hanging over his head," Raiders star Jack Wighton said. "As one of his mates it's really good to see him with that spark in his eye again. He's been training the house down. I'm really excited to pull a jumper on with him again."