greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2021

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Re-signing, recruitment and reshuffling: Every NRL coach’s No.1 priority for 2021

RAIDERS - What Ricky’s best pack? - By George Clarke

Do Canberra have the best pack in the NRL right now? They’ve recruited impeccably over the last few years and seem to have the perfect balance of age, brawn, speed and endurance.

In the middle, the Raiders have an embarrassment of riches. Josh Papalii - arguably the game’s best front-rower right now and his Queensland Origin teammate Dunamis Lui, Sia Soliola, Emre Guler, Corey Horsburgh and Ryan Sutton all returning from injuries. That’s without mentioning the newly-arrived Ryan James. Let’s not forget that until two ACL injuries, James was being talked about as a potential NSW forward. If he stays fit, Canberra have got a fine talent on their hands. Papalii aside, there seems to be nobody assured of a starting berth.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f3dc510870
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Deep Green: Stacked roster means all Canberra Raiders spots up for grabs

Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker says there is not a single position that isn't up for grabs at the club in 2021.

"I only got out of the sling last week," Croker said. "I haven't done a great deal. Just getting into the rehab side of things and getting a bit of cardio done. Most of the boys aren't back in yet anyway. There's not a jersey that's not up for grabs, we've got a strong spine and a strong core. We've got a good group of guys at the moment with good depth and those boys nipping at everyone's heels, it's what we need."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/19/dee ... for-grabs/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker all too aware of challengers for No. 3 jersey after shoulder surgery

He’s known as one of the NRL’s genuine nice guys. But don’t think for a minute that makes Jarrod Croker any less tough or competitive. He's all too aware of the young guns pushing for his spot.

“I sit there and look at this young fella and say, ‘Gee, he is fast and strong’, a lot faster and stronger than I am at 30,” Croker said. “I’d like to think I have a few different attributes but you don’t want to sit back and think you are irreplaceable. I want to start the season because I hate missing footy, it’s as simple as that. The physios have tried to tell me to aim for round three or four but, if you ask me, I want to play round one.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... aa2736b6aa
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2020, 2:07 pm Jarrett Subloo not on the list of development players, or training with the top squad, so it looks like he’s not being renewed...
Anyone know where he has gone?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

looks like Xmas break, qld boys back over the border

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Quite a number of the senior players are back for a pre Christmas check in today. Won’t be a long week for them obviously. Origin players not back until the New Year. CNK still in New Zealand. Does look like some of the players have gone “home” for Christmas though.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Those who would normally go to Sydney, Central Coast or Wollongong have been told to stay in Canberra to avoid the possibility of having to quarantine on their return in the new year.

Good to see a few of the boys walking around Braddon when I went for a walk at lunchtime. Lets hope the rules don't have to change and they can continue to have some freedom.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson targets Round 1 2021 return

As if one ACL injury wasn't enough. Canberra Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson suffered the second serious knee injury of his career in the Round 9 clash with the Melbourne Storm this year - sidelining him for the rest of the 2020 season.

He missed the first half of the 2018 season after damaging his left knee in the semi final of the 2017 World Cup - when England narrowly defeated Tonga in New Zealand. It took him six and a half months to recover from that injury.

He's now had reconstructions of both his knees. Hodgson says if he can repeat the recovery from his first ACL injury, he should be back playing for the Green Machine from the start of the 2021 season.

"It'll be Round 1. I think last time my left knee was six and a half months. I think Round 1 is about seven and a half, eight months. So Round 1 is probably my target date," Hodgson said.

"All the change of direction stuff, started a couple of weeks ago. All that's gone really well, touch wood, no hiccups so far. It's going really well, as well as it could have done."

"But you know, anything can happen. It's one of those things, with that kind of injury, you can't really rush it."

"I'll go off to see the surgeon at the end of January and get the OK to do contact. Once I get that, I'll have a bit more of an idea as to when I can actually play. I need a few weeks of contact before I can play."

Hodgson says the recovery from his latest knee reconstruction has gone more smoothly than the last. He had an allograft, which involves donor tissue.

"It was kind of the same surgery, different tendon. Last time they took a piece of my hamstring, this time it was an allograft," Hodgson explained.

"It's gone probably a bit smoother this time. Last time I had a grade three "hammy" to deal with as well as the knee. It was a bit strenuous, it was more the "hammy" that was giving me problems last time."

"Whereas this time it's been pretty smooth so far. I don't want to jinx it, so I won't say that too many more times."

He agrees that he's running out of "spare parts" for the repair jobs. He can't afford another knee reconstruction.

"I've done two, if I do another one I don't know what I'm going to do," he said, laughing.

Today was the first day of pre seaon training for the senior players. But it will be a short, three day week, before a break for Christmas.

"We've got a few days of testing. Today's the fun day when we do all our fitness stuff," Hodgson said.

"We're excited to be back to be honest. It's been a while since we've been back, obviously, since the break in October."

"I've been itching to come back, but I've just been trying to stay away just you keep fresh mentally. It's always a long year, the footy season."

"I've been sticking to working three days a week, but now really chomping at the bit to get going.

While Hodgson was sidelined this year, young hooker Tom Starling made a big impact. And Hodgson couldn't be happier for the youngster.

"He's such a good lad Tommy. He really took the chance with both hands. He just played really well," Hodgson said.

"He kept it simple and we all saw what he could do. For a small fellow, he can certainly whack when he wants to. He's just a really good young kid who is willing to learn. It's really good to see those kind of blokes get a chance."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Hodgson aiming for Round 1 return: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/12 ... ne-return/

Canberra Raiders Jarrod Croker and Josh Hodgson return with eyes on NRL Round 1

Jarrod Croker is building up to an intense training schedule as he nurses his reconstructed shoulder with an eye on a round one return.

"I tore my labrum and subluxed the rotator cuff, there was a little fracture in there, and he actually reattached my bicep tendon when he got in there," Croker said. "I didn't go for a scan until four or five days after that game. I didn't expect to have a shoulder reconstruction, so that was a bit worrying.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Quarantine rules cause chaos in Canberra sport: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I still can't believe how good Hodgson was when he returned after his last injury. Hit the ground running against the Tigers and dominated the game. It was remarkable.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

ALX22 wrote:
greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2020, 2:07 pm Jarrett Subloo not on the list of development players, or training with the top squad, so it looks like he’s not being renewed...
Anyone know where he has gone?
Disappointing. He didn’t put a foot wrong when he touched the ball in First Grade
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Hear from Canberra Raiders co-captains Josh Hodgson and Jarrod Croker... as they prepare to return from injury... and the senior players return for pre season training! WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/gl8b50CQJ5D

#NRL #WeAreRaiders
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

We've got some aging players.

Sia
Croker
Hodgo
Rapana
Lui
Whitehead
Havili

All 30

Papa and James not far behind.

While we have a great squad and our premiership window is still open, I'm thinking we've got a year or two at most and a few of those players are moving on

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

30 isn't that old these days

Only one I'd really be worried about is Croker with his injury run recently.

The rest should have 3 or 4 years easily, touch wood.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I agree Tim.

Croker is a big concern. I believe he’s contracted for another 3 years.

And I’m praying for Hodgo to have a decent run injury free, he’s 32 next birthday.

Whitey will burnout I feel. It may not be for another 2-3 years but post footy he’ll be busted. And the reason I say that is because he’s 100% flat out in both A and D.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:We've got some aging players.

Sia
Croker
Hodgo
Rapana
Lui
Whitehead
Havili

All 30

While we have a great squad and our premiership window is still open, I'm thinking we've got a year or two at most and a few of those players are moving on

our junior stocks are bulging in 2021

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to hold special Christmas Day lunch for players who now cannot head to Sydney for holidays with their families

Raiders boss Don Furner says the club had spoken to its players with families in Sydney and asked they stay in the national capital this holiday. New recruit Albert Hopoate's family is based on the northern beaches while Corey Harawira-Naera and Caleb Aekins, among others, had planned to spend Christmas in Sydney.

"It looks like all the boys have chosen to stay, and while we told them they were free to head home, we pointed out they would be forced to isolate when they returned,'' Furner said. "We'll now look to put on a Christmas lunch for the boys who stay behind so they're not on their own."

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/calm-b ... 56p9e.html
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sharks won with an ageing and experienced squad. I think that’s our best chance. Cotric was our only genuine superstar youngster.

It’s not like we are Roosters or Storm hoovering up the best young talent.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Whitehead is my biggest concern for next season, followed by Croker.

EW was a totally knackered by the end of the year. Croker was clearly out of form and looked a bit busted.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:Whitehead is my biggest concern for next season, followed by Croker.

EW was a totally knackered by the end of the year. Croker was clearly out of form and looked a bit busted.
Ricky has to rotate the players better. Roosters were able to do it effectively the past 3 years but serious injuries hurt them last season (Radley/Verrills/Cordner). We can all see that our players, particularly the forwards and maybe Croker, want to play every game that they consider themselves to be fit for. Ricky has to manage the squad better and now I think he has the depth in the forwards to be able to do it.

I think in a 25 round season you are more able to give Papa or Whitehead a few spells throughout the year to freshen up. A bit more difficult with 20 games, but it was pretty clear how fatigued Whitehead was come finals time.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

From dressing room politics to second-year syndrome: Question every coach must answer

RAIDERS - Is Ricky’s backline too skinny?

Canberra’s backline has been one of their major strengths in recent years. They’ve unearthed gems like Bailey Simonsson and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and even when they’ve been hit by injury, they have still managed to have younger players step up. But during the back end of last season a few questions were asked of their depth.

Are they an experienced backline utility short? There’s not much out there on the market at the moment barring Tim Lafai or Dean Whare. But it could be the case that the Raiders’ lack of experience comes back to bite them later on in the season if they are gripped by another injury crisis in 2021.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/news/nrl-2 ... 2ab5fed7c5
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

dubby wrote: December 21, 2020, 5:53 pm We've got some aging players.

Sia
Croker
Hodgo
Rapana
Lui
Whitehead
Havili

All 30

Havili's only gonna be 28 next year.

Sia, Lui, Croker, and Rapana are easily replaceable in terms of pure playing ability. Croker's goal kicking will be harder to replace, as no one in the current squad or below is similar ability to my knowledge.

Whitehead's skill set is quite rare and makes him hard to replace. Hodgo is close to irreplaceable, we'll need to go in a different direction with the way our hooker plays.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

afgtnk wrote:
dubby wrote: December 21, 2020, 5:53 pm We've got some aging players.

Sia
Croker
Hodgo
Rapana
Lui
Whitehead
Havili

All 30

Havili's only gonna be 28 next year.

Sia, Lui, Croker, and Rapana are easily replaceable in terms of pure playing ability. Croker's goal kicking will be harder to replace, as no one in the current squad or below is similar ability to my knowledge.

Whitehead's skill set is quite rare and makes him hard to replace. Hodgo is close to irreplaceable, we'll need to go in a different direction with the way our hooker plays.
on hodgson we showed last year we can change tack at 9. If we can maintain 2 seasons with hodgson, siliva/starling then we'll have that window open a little while yet.
Trevilyan gets big wraps and Starling is still young.

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: December 22, 2020, 8:46 am From dressing room politics to second-year syndrome: Question every coach must answer

RAIDERS - Is Ricky’s backline too skinny?

Canberra’s backline has been one of their major strengths in recent years. They’ve unearthed gems like Bailey Simonsson and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and even when they’ve been hit by injury, they have still managed to have younger players step up. But during the back end of last season a few questions were asked of their depth.

Are they an experienced backline utility short? There’s not much out there on the market at the moment barring Tim Lafai or Dean Whare. But it could be the case that the Raiders’ lack of experience comes back to bite them later on in the season if they are gripped by another injury crisis in 2021.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/news/nrl-2 ... 2ab5fed7c5
Last season showed that Hodgson doesn't have to overplay his hand for us to be successful, nor do we need CNK to provide a great deal more than he is capable of if we are to take that next step up.

We do need to improve our strike power in the centres though. For a variety of reasons, both Toots and Scott were largely ineffective last season and Bateman was also a bit of a passenger.

However, I don't think depth in the backs is our problem, or the lack of a utility for that matter. Our problem is a lack of experience in a couple of backline positions (and depth in the second row). Stuart has plenty of options in the backs to consider. It's just whether those options can do the job.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on December 22, 2020, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote: December 21, 2020, 9:30 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:Whitehead is my biggest concern for next season, followed by Croker.

Ricky has to rotate the players better. Roosters were able to do it effectively the past 3 years but serious injuries hurt them last season (Radley/Verrills/Cordner). We can all see that our players, particularly the forwards and maybe Croker, want to play every game that they consider themselves to be fit for. Ricky has to manage the squad better and now I think he has the depth in the forwards to be able to do it.

I think in a 25 round season you are more able to give Papa or Whitehead a few spells throughout the year to freshen up. A bit more difficult with 20 games, but it was pretty clear how fatigued Whitehead was come finals time.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Well, we've got plenty of depth in the front row to give Papa a spell here and there. Managing Whitehead may be another matter.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Snakes as we train. Some hijinks at Stromlo: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/12 ... -we-train/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Duke Didier trains Canberra Raiders in the art of grappling in NRL pre-season

The Green Machine called on MMA light heavyweight and Glasgow Commonwealth Games judo representative Duke Didier to ignite their pre-season campaign on Tuesday.

"It's my duty as a Canberran sportsman, if I can help the Raiders win a premiership in any way, shape or form, my services are always available," Didier laughed. "I bumped into Ricky a couple of weeks ago when he heard I was in town. I met Ricky and got an invitation to come into their wrestling session.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Now THATS a name!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I agree that are backs depth is not great. That was my point about my previous post.

Our forwards are quite good, and we do have some backs coming through.

I'm certainly not on the bag Croker team, but IMO he and Scott are most likely to be superseded in the future. Tomoko, HSS etc look pretty good.

I only mention Croker because he's copped some serious injuries the past few years. At 30ish it gets harder to come back , but we'll see.

Hodgo has had 2 knee recos among others, and at 32 he's only a year or two from retirement

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Now THATS a name!
I thought it said Dirk Digler at first

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Saint Stick: Canberra Raiders coach to host Christmas dinner for stranded players

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has thrown open his doors on Christmas night to ensure no Raiders player stranded from their family will be left on his own.

"All I will say is we're their second family down here at the Raiders,'' Stuart said. "It's been a unique year. Being away from their loved ones has been hard enough. We had our testing day on Monday and I couldn't be happier with the way they all followed their programs. They've all come back in good nick.''

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/saint- ... 56plp.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: December 21, 2020, 1:09 pm Canberra Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson targets Round 1 2021 return

Hodgson says the recovery from his latest knee reconstruction has gone more smoothly than the last. He had an allograft, which involves donor tissue.

"It was kind of the same surgery, different tendon. Last time they took a piece of my hamstring, this time it was an allograft," Hodgson explained.

"It's gone probably a bit smoother this time. Last time I had a grade three "hammy" to deal with as well as the knee. It was a bit strenuous, it was more the "hammy" that was giving me problems last time."

"Whereas this time it's been pretty smooth so far. I don't want to jinx it, so I won't say that too many more times."
Interesting view on an allograft from NRL Physio on Twitter: https://twitter.com/nrlphysio/status/13 ... 18080?s=21
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Check out the snake prank by coaching staff during pre-season training. :lol: :lol: Sia has the best (non) reaction.

Canberra Raiders rattle the playing group with hilarious snake prank

Clubs often have to find ways to keep the motivation levels high or ways to keep the playing group on their toes. The Canberra Raiders came up with one genius way to ensure their players were switched on. A video uploaded to social media shows coach Ricky Stuart addressing the team with a few words of warning about the upcoming park in which they would be undertaking a time trial.

“The park itself was closed yesterday because of snakes but apparently it’s back open today,” Stuart says. “There should not be any excuse for slow times.”

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/canbe ... 9e956324fa

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1144bc435d

https://twitter.com/RaidersCanberra/sta ... 3905723394
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

dubby wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Now THATS a name!
I thought it said Dirk Digler at first

No I think he’s got a gig with Penrith

Nickman's love of NSW
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: December 22, 2020, 9:52 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 21, 2020, 1:09 pm Canberra Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson targets Round 1 2021 return

Interesting view on an allograft from NRL Physio on Twitter: https://twitter.com/nrlphysio/status/13 ... 18080?s=21
Interesting. I am sure there is a reason why they went down this path.

Remember a few years ago the LARS surgery was going to revolutionise knee injuries. Seem to have totally fallen by the wayside now.