Is Canberra Raiders' premiership window closing?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Is Canberra Raiders' premiership window closing?

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Ricky has slammed it shut himself.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Closed for this year. Hard to admit, but slowly looks becoming more and true. If we aren't in the same class as a team like the Eels then forget it.

Unless we upgrade at fullback, centre, and wing, consequently getting rid of the slow plodders that ordinarily inhabit those positions, as well as balance the bench better and play guys like CHN, then this team cannot take its game to the next level. I don't see it as being at all possible.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

afgtnk wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:18 pm Closed for this year. Hard to admit, but slowly looks becoming more and true.

Unless we upgrade at fullback, centre, and wing, consequently getting rid of the slow plodders that ordinarily inhabit those positions, as well as balance the bench better and play guys like CHN, then this team cannot take its game to the next level. I don't see it as being at all possible.
You don't need to be Einstein to work out we needed to upgrade our back 5. I don't understand why Stuart didn't act. It's like Manly not buying a hooker. Kris has been a breath of fresh air.
I don't agree on your criticism of CNK- he's been one of our best since 2019.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

I appreciate that Ricky is a loyal coach who loves his players and that’s a positive in getting players to play for you but he has shown more than enough loyalty. Keeping a number of these players everyone is mentioning in first grade now is just damaging the teams week to week performance and ongoing development. Not to mention his credibility as a coach.

Many times the GH consensus is quick to act and fairly ruthless but in this case I think everyone is on the money.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think Ricky gives players who have earned loyalty every chance to turn things around until they hit complete failure. Sounds like that’s 1 or 2 games away for Ricky based on the presser. I think this week there’ll be quite a few hard conversations and a number of players will be told “this is it, leave it all out there or you’re done”.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: April 17, 2021, 9:48 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 17, 2021, 9:43 pm I think it's closed for 2021, I just can't see any compelling options in our backline. We just need more youth injected for 2022 and we'll be right back in it.
Yep, 100% agree'
It looks closed for this year, but there is room to move and changes to the sqaud to make that could open it back up in 2022.
Right now the coach is too invested in veterans across the board. Which is interesting given he's spoken openly about his failure at the roosters being was to cling to veterans who'd done their job too long and wasnt ruthless enough.
That is interesting. It might just show that a habit is a hard thing to break
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I was a little concerned the other week when he said he consulted his senior players regarding a team selection. I'm more concerned about it now. What do you do then when it's your senior players who are running lukewarm, if not stinking it up? It seems you're backing yourself into a corner
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

gangrenous wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:37 pm I think Ricky gives players who have earned loyalty every chance to turn things around until they hit complete failure. Sounds like that’s 1 or 2 games away for Ricky based on the presser. I think this week there’ll be quite a few hard conversations and a number of players will be told “this is it, leave it all out there or you’re done”.
Agreed. I'm sure Ricky has said before after a bad loss, that he will pick them again so they can prove they're worthy. But it's not hard to beat Cowboys, and that'll be the reprieve they needed
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 17, 2021, 11:18 pm
gangrenous wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:37 pm I think Ricky gives players who have earned loyalty every chance to turn things around until they hit complete failure. Sounds like that’s 1 or 2 games away for Ricky based on the presser. I think this week there’ll be quite a few hard conversations and a number of players will be told “this is it, leave it all out there or you’re done”.
Agreed. I'm sure Ricky has said before after a bad loss, that he will pick them again so they can prove they're worthy. But it's not hard to beat Cowboys, and that'll be the reprieve they needed
The cowboys will towel us up!

If people were thinking we looked unfit and slow on an autumn Canberra evening, what do you reckon 28 degrees and 85% humidity in Townsville will do to us?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Don't assume that we can beat the Cowboys. This is 2017 all over again - "she will be right, mate. We will make it into the top 4 or 8, we will come good." Cowboys only just lost against us last year when we were a better team. Ricky is not a great coach. I will give him that we performed well in 3 of his 7 years. The passion and the support of his players are there, but he lacks tactical awareness and seeing the obvious.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Actually true, we always seem to get fatigued playing in North Queensland, in the humid weather
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Don't also assume things will be OK in 2022 and we will be challenging. It's a much faster game but we have old codgers and players who are Stuart's favourites a year older - Hodgson, Whitehead, Croker, who are contracted. Papa and James are no spring chickens as well. I've left out Raps and Sia - surely they won't be around
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

afgtnk wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:18 pm Closed for this year. Hard to admit, but slowly looks becoming more and true. If we aren't in the same class as a team like the Eels then forget it.

You hated sezer, hated sezer...

Guy was the halfback in our Gf run...

Whilst I agree that’s it’s unlikely to happen for us this season, CNK is not a reason this side doesn’t win a premiership.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Yeah, Ricky's slammed it shut so hard he's jammed his fingers..
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

So as I said on page 2, as we roll into these 6 weeks of games against tougher teams, we are going to be seeing the big gap between us and the actual contenders.

It's exacerbated by the loss of Charnze, but that has just made all the issues more glaring.

Window is closed and the things that need fixing, Ricky is too stubborn to fix;
  • Sia at this point, is a blocker to progress. Low ceiling, mediocre output and keeping better guys out of the team. He stopped being needed as leader when Papa and Tapine stepped up. Time for Sia to step aside, job well done. Because he adds nothing anymore.
  • Havilii isn't giving us enough. 3 runs in 30 mins this week. 4 runs in 55 mins week before. Yes his runs are good. But that's a poor output. A couple of times when we were still in the game yesterday and could be in position to play on quickly with a restart, we had to wait for Havilii to be last man back getting us onside. Poor form from a sub supposed to bring energy. I have some time for him as a player but he makes no sense on our current bench anyway. A classic Ricky bench mismanagement case.
  • Rapana on the wrong wing. Oh did he bomb another try attempting to score in the left with his right hand, meaning a) he cannot then use said hand to shield the ball and b) the defender is a whole metre closer to getting over and simply swatting the ball out of the right hand. The sheer amount of times he's missed tries there is maddening. Yeah good bloke tries hard yada yada- but he fails at a key, the key, part of wing play on the left. Putting your slowest, most error prone backline player on the side which makes him look worse and then stubbornly sticking to it... pure Ricky. Rapana just about survives as an ageing, wily, strong but loose and turtle speed winger on the right where he can at least finish. He stinks on the left. I don't want to remember him this way.
  • Simo. Just a non-entity. Rapa to his wing and somebody, anybody else to wing please.
  • Hodgo. Worth weighing up how he fits in the team currently.
    GWilly and Wighton knew their roles, got the ball when they wanted and showed their skills with confidence. Last year that is. That's not happening for either this year. Either they both just have sudden dips in form at the same time completely unrelated or the issue is with their service and too many chiefs.
    We surpassed all expectations last year because we had a sensible hooker rotation who suited the new game. Two hookers who made the players around them better players. Because they played simple, direct and gave clean early ball more often than not. Hodgo is seemingly incapable of playing that way.

All the star hookers at the moment are young and quick. Hodgo is slow now, especially laterally. He's a poor middle defender. Hard to jam a team up when all you have to do is aim for Hodgo then carry him as far as you want when he jumps up and tackles over the ball instead of hitting up and under. Or he waddles when someone has the room to run a curve around him. Used to be well worth having even considering all tat because he is great at unlocking smothering, well organised defences. But these days you need someone capable of cutting up tired, backpedalling defences. Now that we have good halves (at last) I'd be reconsidering whether we are better served with Starling as hooker and use the extra cash elsewhere in the back 5.

He might improve as the year goes on. But past history suggests he will always play as if he needs to run the show. Occams razor suggests our halves came into their own and the team had great success with different hookers and otherwise much the same personell last season for a simple reason. He makes our defence objectively worse. He seems to gum up our attack. He seems to get in the way of our halves. Either Jack and GWilly are the issue. Or the other variable is...

I think I'll be murdered on here for this one. It's too early to make the call. But from what I see, he really needs to make some adjustments to his style to make it worth carrying the soft middle D.
  • Croker. That 4 year contract will be an albatross around the clubs neck for years.
I actually think the window is closed. Ricky has clung to tight to his old favourites and the game has moved on. I think Ricky will hold his cards too long so this year will be a write off. And I fully expect him to go into next year with the same core issues, but fiddling with the wingers a bit.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: April 18, 2021, 8:46 am So as I said on page 2, as we roll into these 6 weeks of games against tougher teams, we are going to be seeing the big gap between us and the actual contenders.

It's exacerbated by the loss of Charnze, but that has just made all the issues more glaring.

Window is closed and the things that need fixing, Ricky is too stubborn to fix;
  • Sia at this point, is a blocker to progress. Low ceiling, mediocre output and keeping better guys out of the team. He stopped being needed as leader when Papa and Tapine stepped up. Time for Sia to step aside, job well done. Because he adds nothing anymore.
  • Havilii isn't giving us enough. 3 runs in 30 mins this week. 4 runs in 55 mins week before. Yes his runs are good. But that's a poor output. A couple of times when we were still in the game yesterday and could be in position to play on quickly with a restart, we had to wait for Havilii to be last man back getting us onside. Poor form from a sub supposed to bring energy. I have some time for him as a player but he makes no sense on our current bench anyway. A classic Ricky bench mismanagement case.
  • Rapana on the wrong wing. Oh did he bomb another try attempting to score in the left with his right hand, meaning a) he cannot then use said hand to shield the ball and b) the defender is a whole metre closer to getting over and simply swatting the ball out of the right hand. The sheer amount of times he's missed tries there is maddening. Yeah good bloke tries hard yada yada- but he fails at a key, the key, part of wing play on the left. Putting your slowest, most error prone backline player on the side which makes him look worse and then stubbornly sticking to it... pure Ricky. Rapana just about survives as an ageing, wily, strong but loose and turtle speed winger on the right where he can at least finish. He stinks on the left. I don't want to remember him this way.
  • Simo. Just a non-entity. Rapa to his wing and somebody, anybody else to wing please.
    GWilly and Wighton knew their roles, got the ball when they wanted and showed their skills with confidence. Last year that is. That's not happening for either this year. Either they both just have sudden dips in form at the same time completely unrelated or the issue is with their service and too many chiefs.
    We surpassed all expectations last year because we had a sensible hooker rotation who suited the new game. Two hookers who made the players around them better players. Because they played simple, direct and gave clean early ball more often than not. Hodgo is seemingly incapable of playing that way.

All the star hookers at the moment are young and quick. Hodgo is slow now, especially laterally. He's a poor middle defender. Hard to jam a team up when all you have to do is aim for Hodgo then carry him as far as you want when he jumps up and tackles over the ball instead of hitting up and under. Or he waddles when someone has the room to run a curve around him. Used to be well worth having even considering all tat because he is great at unlocking smothering, well organised defences. But these days you need someone capable of cutting up tired, backpedalling defences. Now that we have good halves (at last) I'd be reconsidering whether we are better served with Starling as hooker and use the extra cash elsewhere in the back 5.

He might improve as the year goes on. But past history suggests he will always play as if he needs to run the show. Occams razor suggests our halves came into their own and the team had great success with different hookers and otherwise much the same personell last season for a simple reason. He makes our defence objectively worse. He seems to gum up our attack. He seems to get in the way of our halves. Either Jack and GWilly are the issue. Or the other variable is...

I think I'll be murdered on here for this one. It's too early to make the call. But from what I see, he really needs to make some adjustments to his style to make it worth carrying the soft middle D.
  • Croker. That 4 year contract will be an albatross around the clubs neck for years.
I actually think the window is closed. Ricky has clung to tight to his old favourites and the game has moved on. I think Ricky will hold his cards too long so this year will be a write off. And I fully expect him to go into next year with the same core issues, but fiddling with the wingers a bit.
Nailed it perfectly.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Window is closed unless CNK comes back soonish. We look absolutely lost without him.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Nickman wrote: April 18, 2021, 9:57 am Window is closed unless CNK comes back soonish. We look absolutely lost without him.
Agreed. Pretty amazing for such a terrible full back.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 18, 2021, 9:57 am Window is closed unless CNK comes back soonish. We look absolutely lost without him.
Which year was it that we all of a sudden became a coherent defensive unit? Because it’s obvious the guy must talk so much and organise the defence.

I think what a lot of posters fail to realise is just how critical the fullback’s role is in setting the whole defensive line. Anyone who has played with a good fullback who is constantly talking to everyone in defence knows exactly what I’m talking about.

It was pretty obvious that communication was sorely lacking last night.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: April 18, 2021, 8:46 am

I agree with your entire post but on the points re: Hodgson... I just can't help but think of the potential this team could have moving on from Hodgson. Someone like Brandon Smith could really lift us up a notch.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

nailed shut.
This place is woke.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: April 18, 2021, 11:19 am
Azza wrote:
Which year was it that we all of a sudden became a coherent defensive unit? Because it’s obvious the guy must talk so much and organise the defence.

I think what a lot of posters fail to realise is just how critical the fullback’s role is in setting the whole defensive line. Anyone who has played with a good fullback who is constantly talking to everyone in defence knows exactly what I’m talking about.

It was pretty obvious that communication was sorely lacking last night.
I love CNK to bits and I know this place is either pro him or dead set on replacing him, but I thought our defensive structure from the get-go was horrific without him. It was like the worst of 2017 and 2018. All of a sudden we were playing a compressed line in our defensive 20. They were stripping us for numbers on both sides of the ruck and players were being caught out of position.

I know it's not all the fullback, but far out you could tell he was missing out there. The energy was flat and we made Parramatta look way better than they were.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

In a misguided attempt to point out a fact, I mentioned that our squad would be one of, if not the oldest in the NRL this season. After some of the Rooster retirements, we are clearly now the oldest.

Sia, Whitehead, Lui, Hodgson, Croker, Rapana and James are all 30+. Papa is 29 and Wighton 28.

I don't care what anyone says. It's not easy to quickly replace half of your starting lineup - especially when they are your top shelf players.

Hodgson, Croker, Lui and Sia are not helping us win at the moment. Rapa is being used poorly, but is the only one in the backline capable of breaking a tackle. Whitehead has struggled at moments (often out of position), and is not the player he was, but he is still a critical element of our attack.

It's not our only issue, but there is a fine line between an experienced team and an old one. We are playing like the latter.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Were the 2nd most games played behind the Roosters

Probably first now Friend retired

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

We're not the oldest squad, as has already been pointed out numerous times - according to this analysis two days ago, we're 5th.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/average-ag ... 0056004380

Only a few simple, logical changes will get us back to middle of the pack as well. Guys like Sia, Lui, Croker, Rapana are replaced easily and those replacements are already available. Important spine players will age, but if they're any good they're not players you're going to want turnover until you get every last drop out of them anyway. Our 6, 7 and 9 are class.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: April 18, 2021, 10:24 pm We're not the oldest squad, as has already been pointed out numerous times - according to this analysis two days ago, we're 5th.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/average-ag ... 0056004380

Only a few simple, logical changes will get us back to middle of the pack as well. Guys like Sia, Lui, Croker, Rapana are replaced easily and those replacements are already available. Important spine players will age, but if they're any good they're not players you're going to want turnover until you get every last drop out of them anyway. Our 6, 7 and 9 are class.
You'd think 3 of the 4 won't be running around for us next season...
The real question is whether Ricky can do what needs to be done about Croker.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Is Canberra Raiders' premiership window closing?

Whether you believe in the notion of a premiership window or not, things aren’t looking bright for Ricky Stuart’s Raiders.

After a spirited loss to the Warriors, they have won just once in their last three games, beating the Titans and falling to the Panthers and then the Eels on Saturday. A team that was expected to challenge for the title is now going in the opposite direction unless they snap out of this slump quickly.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c1a2effc1c
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Lol nice of them to summarise the GH consensus

Interestingly Matty Johns thought little of our loss, and said it's just a form slump that every team goes through throughout the year
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:lol: did they at least give by line credit?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: April 19, 2021, 11:31 am :lol: did they at least give by line credit?
"And while Botman argued for the forty-seventh time that Hudson Young should be playing in the middle, afghgkjrlthlrhklrhrtlr fought on several fronts against the like of gangrenous and Seiffert82 regarding everything from CNK, Jarrod Croker, the age of the team, and Ricky Stuart's shoe size.

The poster known as Lucy was unavailable for comment."
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Interesting note - I'd count 6 or more tries in the past two weeks where Hudson-Young has missed a tackle that lead to a try... I will say it again, he is not a second rower. Don't care what anyone says but he belongs in the middle off the bench as a replacement for Taps.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Pretty incredible the extent to which the narrative about the Raiders has shifted in just 2 short weeks.
Up The Milk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Mickey_Raider wrote:Pretty incredible the extent to which the narrative about the Raiders has shifted in just 2 short weeks.
If the Dogs weren't so **** we'd be a lock for the spoon - The GH

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-TW- wrote: April 19, 2021, 1:51 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:Pretty incredible the extent to which the narrative about the Raiders has shifted in just 2 short weeks.
If the Dogs weren't so **** we'd be a lock for the spoon - The GH

To be fair we've only won one game more than Manly and the Cowboys. Our current form isn't that far off spoon material at the moment to be honest. Can barley manage to score 2 tries. Can barely manage to concede less than 5-6 tries.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.