Is Canberra Raiders' premiership window closing?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Is Canberra Raiders' premiership window closing?

Post by Botman »

You can check the tape on my feelings about those conditions and what it does to footy games.
I dont put much weight into games played in those sort of conditions. I've watched enough sports over the years to know when the weather gets wild, results can get silly. They dont always. Sometimes the better team still just drops a hammer, but the least talented team has a much better chance of getting a result the worst the conditions get.

I also push back against the "excuses" stuff, and have for a while now. Explanations of unfavourable events are not always excuses. I'm not making an excuse. I'm very aware of what happened, what went wrong and what didnt and the level of performance. "Excuse" is a term often used to dimiss someone's explanation. An explanation is not an excuse.
I've explained why i dont agree. I dont think that's a dismissal. If you do, cool. But i cant go on that journey right now.

If we had not had such poor luck with HIA's we're 4/5 at the very least and even if you think the panthers still beat us, it's a closer game unquestionably. And the narrative is changed.
And i get why we are where we are as a fan base, as said, im firmly guilty of being that a bit too. But i've said a few times and i keep having to remind myself of it, we're Ok. We're in a good place right now imo. We're not perfect. We have things to address and things to try to overcome. And when the need and desire for a premiership is so strong because we've come so close, fans tend to overract.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The Nickman wrote: April 11, 2021, 8:47 pm Hahahahahahaha we’ve lost two games this season, and both on the back of unfortunate HIAs

You guys are seriously an absolute pack of clowns
Good grief man.

You're trying to paint anyone with pretty valid criticisms as clowns who hate the club and run down everything and everyone within it. It reminds me of the David Furner days and the "poso" clique who had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the reality that Furner was never taking us anywhere.

Pretty much everyone is on the same page in that we are a good side. Very good even. We have some absolute guns in our ranks. We are also in a premiership window - clearly in the fertile stage of a cycle as opposed to the shambolic stages of the cycle being experienced by the likes of the Dogs, Cows, Broncos and Manly.

I seriously don't see how it is unreasonable to be able to identify that despite our strengths and quality, we have structural deficiencies, particularly in the 3/4 line at the moment which will make it a tall order to be able to go back-to-back-to-back against the likes of the Bunnies, Storm, Panthers. Could we beat these teams on a given day? Sure. We showed up and beat the Roosters like that last year. But we were absolute cannon fodder for the Storm the week after.

I have a pretty strong suspicion that if we rock up to the finals this year and our backline is as currently constructed (without any significant uptick in form across the board), we will not be lifting the trophy and it will look very similar to last year.
Last edited by Mickey_Raider on April 11, 2021, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up The Milk
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

HIA’s aren’t going anywhere. In fact they’ll become more prevalent.
The good teams will deal with it .... the rest will make excuses.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I am hoping its just not my bias here..

I do think our group of guys are clean players. Which is the way i like it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: April 11, 2021, 9:57 pm HIA’s aren’t going anywhere. In fact they’ll become more prevalent.
The good teams will deal with it .... the rest will make excuses.
I agree with the first sentence
the second one feels like some nonsense though... like what are the roosters doing to stop James Tedesco failing a HIA? I guess the storm have Nicho Hymes (sorry, cbf googling correct spelling) to sort that out.
But also he's objectively in their best 17 players. So it's easier to make that move where as after our 17, the next best 2-3 players are forwards.

For the roosters couldnt stop Keary, Cordner or Friend having multiple concussions. And Cordner is holding on but his career is as done as St Jake's. Keary if he wasnt such a stunningly good player, would have retired over fears of CTE 3 years ago.
Do they beat the Sharks if Tedesco is wiped out in the 20th minute with a HIA?

You can always hand wave any explanation of events as an excuse if you so wish.
Again, an explanation is not an excuse. If you want to look at the warriors game and say playing 80% of the game with 1 reserve and an outside back is an excuse for being gased in the final 20 minutes and losing a game, i can stop you. But understand how and why things happen, and accepting sometimes they are outside your direct control isnt making an excuse. It just is what it is.

Fans often make excuses, but we've lost two games and both of them have very identifable and reasonable explanations (NOT excuses) as to why we did not perform to our best
We've also got a game where we won and we have identifable and reasonable explanations as to why we probably shouldnt have won but did. By your arguement, your point about the sharks losing on goal kicking would be an excuse
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Exactly they aren't excuses. Obviously HIAs and injuries happen but to win a premiership its not so much about learning to deal with them than just crossing your fingers and hope it doesn't happen to you at critical times or to particular players. There's a bunch of players we could have lost to a HIA against the Panthers and probably covered fine. Unfortunately CNK isn't one.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

BJ wrote: April 11, 2021, 6:38 pm
Azza wrote:Our outside backs are freakin' dad's army
Don’t Panic!
We’ve got Godfrey playing left centre.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:
GreenMachine wrote: April 11, 2021, 9:13 pm So you’re happy to gloss over that poor game we should have lost (but for goal kicking) at Cronulla?

Who were the injured players that match?
Two points on that game

1. The weather leading up to that game was absymal. The conditions on the night were actually OK relatively speaking but it was looming as a mansoon in the lead up and the game plan reflected that.

2. I largely ignore the teams performances against the Sharks and Manly. I dont feel like we've played really good games against either for years. Which may or may not be true and maybe i am wrong for glossing over it. But i really am just happy getting out of games against those clubs with 2 points because it just feels like they're always pressing our buttons in the wrong way
and C) we won, so who gives a crap. Good teams find a way of picking up wins in games they play bad, like we did. We’re a good team.
Last edited by The Nickman on April 12, 2021, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Our backline lacks genuine pace. It has for years. Other than that, it's pretty solid. Croker is on the downhill slide, so that's the main issue we have. The HIAs are making it look worse than it actually is IMO.

I don't buy into the debate that CNK is the big weakness in our attack. In saying that, he's on the type of money that you could move him to Rapana's wing next season to do that role, and bring in some genuine pace at fullback. Gives us some injury coverage too.

My main area of concern is Hodgson's combination with the halves. When it's working it's great, but too often it is going pear shaped.

Is our premiership window closing? I suggested a few months ago that we will be the oldest team in the comp this year and Stuart does not have time to muck around with Croker as the clock is ticking. That assertion was ridiculed by some as it's apparently quite easy to replace your old players with young ones and still be contenders. That's not always the case, for obvious reasons demonstrated through history.

So yeah, I think there are a few real questions Stuart has to look at now. I think the inconsistency of Croker and Hodgson are the main ones.

I also think this is a top 4 quality team who can beat anyone on its day when we have a fair go with injuries.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on April 12, 2021, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 11, 2021, 8:47 pm Hahahahahahaha we’ve lost two games this season, and both on the back of unfortunate HIAs

You guys are seriously an absolute pack of clowns
Good grief man.

You're trying to paint anyone with pretty valid criticisms as clowns who hate the club and run down everything and everyone within it. It reminds me of the David Furner days and the "poso" clique who had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the reality that Furner was never taking us anywhere.

Pretty much everyone is on the same page in that we are a good side. Very good even. We have some absolute guns in our ranks. We are also in a premiership window - clearly in the fertile stage of a cycle as opposed to the shambolic stages of the cycle being experienced by the likes of the Dogs, Cows, Broncos and Manly.

I seriously don't see how it is unreasonable to be able to identify that despite our strengths and quality, we have structural deficiencies, particularly in the 3/4 line at the moment which will make it a tall order to be able to go back-to-back-to-back against the likes of the Bunnies, Storm, Panthers. Could we beat these teams on a given day? Sure. We showed up and beat the Roosters like that last year. But we were absolute cannon fodder for the Storm the week after.

I have a pretty strong suspicion that if we rock up to the finals this year and our backline is as currently constructed (without any significant uptick in form across the board), we will not be lifting the trophy and it will look very similar to last year.
That’s a lot of words to essentially say our premiership window hasn’t closed and you agree with me, but I appreciate you putting in the effort.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote: I also push back against the "excuses" stuff, and have for a while now. Explanations of unfavourable events are not always excuses. I'm not making an excuse. I'm very aware of what happened, what went wrong and what didnt and the level of performance. "Excuse" is a term often used to dimiss someone's explanation. An explanation is not an excuse.
We get it, it’s a very clear difference.

When you say it it’s an explanation, when other people say it it’s an excuse.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Still early days this season. I look back at the way the side played against the Roosters in week 2 of the finals last year and think this side still has plenty to say.

There was a clear stylistic change from Stuart after the failed 17/18 seasons, and the finals losses in 16. He saw that, in those finals games, points dry up, the ruck is really slow as refs put the whistles away. He changed to being defence/territory focused, aiming for low errors. It worked in 19 and 20, to some extent, but the game changed, and is being officiated differently (surprisingly, Stuart was very in favour of these changes). The finals games last year still had fast rucks, lots of points, and speed has become even more important than it was. Interestingly, our style in 16 would suit the game now way more.

I agree with Greeneyed, and we all said it before the season - the combination of Hodgson with Wighton and Williams will decide how we go. The thing is - Hodgson has all the skills. He has a brilliant long pass, both sides of the ruck, that should be a huge help for running halves like we have, as it puts them on the outside shoulder of their opposite number right away. I think we can work it out, but we also definitely need Starling for more minutes - his running game is a point of difference, and it is actually a huge advantage to have the opposition having to worry about a crafty number 9 and then a “run first” number 9. In the same game.

I don’t see CNK’s attack as a problem. I don’t think it is a coincidence that since he came to the club we have been in the last 4 in back to back years. He can, and should, look to improve his ball playing (of course) - but what he brings to the table defensively is extremely important to the side, as well as his grunt work and effort.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Some rose tinted glasses in here. We will come in 6th/7th this year come finals time. We just not up to the top teams both in attack and let’s be honest defence.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Too many cooks in Ricky’s kitchen

A major flaw in Canberra’s plan of attack may have been exposed on Friday night in a 30-10 loss to Penrith. The Raiders have too many playmakers on the field trying to call the shots.

“I think Ricky Stuart, it’s his job to get that balance between Hodgson and the halves,” Cooper Cronk said.

“When Hodgson went down (injured) he publicly stated he wanted his halves to control the team, and they went all the way to where they got to last year, almost to a grand final.

“Hodgson comes back, he’s been quite good … but that balance is what Ricky Stuart needs to find.

“I think he’s on course to find that balance. We all want it to happen tomorrow, but Ricky Stuart is the right guy to find that balance.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fa441c7cfa

It worried me that Braith Anasta was making the same point I was... but then I was relieved to see Cooper Cronk also making the same point.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: April 12, 2021, 7:14 am
Botman wrote:
GreenMachine wrote: April 11, 2021, 9:13 pm So you’re happy to gloss over that poor game we should have lost (but for goal kicking) at Cronulla?

Who were the injured players that match?
Two points on that game

1. The weather leading up to that game was absymal. The conditions on the night were actually OK relatively speaking but it was looming as a mansoon in the lead up and the game plan reflected that.

2. I largely ignore the teams performances against the Sharks and Manly. I dont feel like we've played really good games against either for years. Which may or may not be true and maybe i am wrong for glossing over it. But i really am just happy getting out of games against those clubs with 2 points because it just feels like they're always pressing our buttons in the wrong way
and C) we won, so who gives a crap. Good teams find a way of picking up wins in games they play bad, like we did. We’re a good team.
You missed the context around the discussion. I'm all for winning ugly and accumulating points through the season.
However, that's completely different to saying we are travelling well and are going to match it with the bigger clubs come finals...
My point was that every club had to play in terrible conditions that weekend and it was no surprise to see the usual suspects come through with ease, while we struggled to play 40 minutes against cannon fodder Cronulla...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: April 12, 2021, 8:47 am Too many cooks in Ricky’s kitchen

A major flaw in Canberra’s plan of attack may have been exposed on Friday night in a 30-10 loss to Penrith. The Raiders have too many playmakers on the field trying to call the shots.

“I think Ricky Stuart, it’s his job to get that balance between Hodgson and the halves,” Cooper Cronk said.

“When Hodgson went down (injured) he publicly stated he wanted his halves to control the team, and they went all the way to where they got to last year, almost to a grand final.

“Hodgson comes back, he’s been quite good … but that balance is what Ricky Stuart needs to find.

“I think he’s on course to find that balance. We all want it to happen tomorrow, but Ricky Stuart is the right guy to find that balance.”

It worried me that Braith Anasta was making the same point I was... but then I was relieved to see Cooper Cronk also making the same point.
Cronk would make a gun coach...

Pretty much what all of us are saying about Hodgo... He can be in 'fine form' but still negatively impacting the team by taking too much time off the halves. This makes us "predictable" as Trent Robinson once put it...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

GreenMachine wrote: April 12, 2021, 8:54 am

Pretty much what all of us are saying about Hodgo... He can be in 'fine form' but still negatively impacting the team by taking too much time off the halves. This makes us "predictable" as Trent Robinson once put it...
This was precisely the issue before Hodgson did his knee last year. It's not a new thing. In an interview Stuart himself said a few weeks ago that Hodgson has a problem with (and I quote) 'overplaying his hand'.

Hodgo started well this season, but has regressed. He needs to do what Smith does and focus on doing the simple things well 100% of the time. Like Wighton, he doesn't need to tear the opposition a new one every time we hit the 20.

People are just noticing it more now.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 12, 2021, 10:05 am

This was precisely the issue before Hodgson did his knee last year. It's not a new thing. In an interview Stuart himself said a few weeks ago that Hodgson has a problem with (and I quote) 'overplaying his hand'.

Hodgo started well this season, but has regressed. He needs to do what Smith does and focus on doing the simple things well 100% of the time. Like Wighton, he doesn't need to tear the opposition a new one every time we hit the 20.

I know its not new....have observed and commented about it many times in the past. It's an issue that creeps into his game every now and then and the coaching ranks generally make him aware of it and he corrects it.

I'm hoping he plays more direct against Parra (St Merge did that last night with great results).

Most teams figure Hodgo doesn't have the explosive pace (of say Starling) and are happy for the markers to swamp both sides of the ruck in anticipation of a late pass to a forward, effectively meeting our forwards on add line. That's what Penrith did really well and they managed to bend a few of our forwards backwards (which you don't see often).

Starling on the other hand can explode out of the ruck and take a run himself, meaning the defensive line cannot overcommit around the ruck and stop our roll forward.

Anyway, lets see Sat night. It's another good opportunity to see where we stand at the moment.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I don't think it's closing per se. I think other teams are getting better, mostly in their spine, while we stagnate in that area and continue to rely on forwards / ad hoc attack.

You have to continually get better, because you can bet other lower teams will be desperately trying to do so. But I don't think our window is closed, our forwards and halves have too much life in them yet, and we have a clear successor for Hodgo.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

GreenMachine wrote: April 12, 2021, 11:01 am
Seiffert82 wrote: April 12, 2021, 10:05 am

I know its not new....have observed and commented about it many times in the past. It's an issue that creeps into his game every now and then and the coaching ranks generally make him aware of it and he corrects it.

I'm hoping he plays more direct against Parra (St Merge did that last night with great results).

Most teams figure Hodgo doesn't have the explosive pace (of say Starling) and are happy for the markers to swamp both sides of the ruck in anticipation of a late pass to a forward, effectively meeting our forwards on add line. That's what Penrith did really well and they managed to bend a few of our forwards backwards (which you don't see often).

Starling on the other hand can explode out of the ruck and take a run himself, meaning the defensive line cannot overcommit around the ruck and stop our roll forward.

Anyway, lets see Sat night. It's another good opportunity to see where we stand at the moment.
I think Hodgson has a certain way he wants to play in his head, but his body and reflexes just aren't always up to it. He tries way too hard to put on the big plays and, as you say, pretty much every team is now prepared for it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Premiership window shouldn't be closing any time soon. 3 of our 4 spine players are mid/latest 20s so theoretically have many good years ahead. Hodgo is 31 so at the back end of his career. If he drops off then Starling has shown to be a decent replacement.

Our forwards are still relatively yound as a unit. Guys like Guler and Horse in reserve grade can replace the older ones like Sia and Lui. Whitehead might be the hardest to replace. CHN an obvious alternative going forward and we've also invested in Rushton as a longer term option.

Backline is the questionable one. A lot depends on Valemei, Timoko, HSS etc being able to step up. Kris looks like he's already there. If there are any gaps then they can be addressed through recruitment. We're not locked in to the current 30 players for the next 4-5 years.

The premiership window will remain open as long as Sticky is getting the best from his players. The biggest challenge right now is taking the next step from Top 4/Preliminary Final team to Grand Final winners.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

GreenMachine wrote:

He's amazing. If he is not still tied up with the Roosters, I'd be approaching him to come down every now and then to sort out the halves.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:

He's amazing. If he is not still tied up with the Roosters, I'd be approaching him to come down every now and then to sort out the halves.
Him being tied up with the Roosters isn't a problem at all. He is still on the Storm payroll as well. I'm sure for the right price he'd come and help out our halves.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Anyone who thinks the premiership window isn’t closed yet, just needs to look at this weeks team. It’s obvious that Stuart believes this is our best team and this team won’t win a premiership even on there best day! (Even when you sub CNK in for Aekins)

sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

It closed quite some time ago. We’re just treading water
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

When was it ever open?
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Yes
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Unless Ricky pulls his head in and stops regurgitating old lineups we have no chance.

We have an incredible forward pack supported by the slowest backline, with zero pizzazz in history.

It's time to move on from the old boys and bleed some fresh talent to back up the dynamic drive created in the middle.

Aekins for now, then sign a Dufty or Hynes for the future. Let CNK move home to be with his kids.

Curtis Scott and Seb Kris in the centres. Then mix in HSS (once healthy), Aekin, Semi and Timoko on the wings.

I love both Raps and Crokes but they are too slow. As was said to me earlier in the week, if you are slow, you need to be a Bradman Best type bulldozer. Our guys have neither.

Hodgo needs to be told he can't do everything. He has two amazing halves, feed them quick ball. Give them a chance.

Hand the captaincy to Elliott Whitehead. He is our leader. Move Sia on. Again, Iove him but now is not the time for sentimental favourites. The game has passed slow players. It's way too fast now. We must move with the times and Ricky must adapt.

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Lucy wrote: April 13, 2021, 8:13 pm Unless Ricky pulls his head in and stops regurgitating old lineups we have no chance.

We have an incredible forward pack supported by the slowest backline, with zero pizzazz in history.

It's time to move on from the old boys and bleed some fresh talent to back up the dynamic drive created in the middle.

Aekins for now, then sign a Dufty or Hynes for the future. Let CNK move home to be with his kids.

Curtis Scott and Seb Kris in the centres. Then mix in HSS (once healthy), Aekin, Semi and Timoko on the wings.

I love both Raps and Crokes but they are too slow. As was said to me earlier in the week, if you are slow, you need to be a Bradman Best type bulldozer. Our guys have neither.

Hodgo needs to be told he can't do everything. He has two amazing halves, feed them quick ball. Give them a chance.

Hand the captaincy to Elliott Whitehead. He is our leader. Move Sia on. Again, Iove him but now is not the time for sentimental favourites. The game has passed slow players. It's way too fast now. We must move with the times and Ricky must adapt.

I couldn't agree with this more
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Raiders666 wrote:
Lucy wrote: April 13, 2021, 8:13 pm Unless Ricky pulls his head in and stops regurgitating old lineups we have no chance.

I couldn't agree with this more
Like Stuart’s history, his stubbornness is always his undoing

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Some of the guys missing out to Sia, Havilli and Lui haven’t done themselves any favours over the off season or NSW cup games.

I can’t solely put the blame on the coach for who has been named in the team.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

It’s officially closed, there is no doubt about it. We need to rebuild a backline and bring through our young backs

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I think it's closed for 2021, I just can't see any compelling options in our backline. We just need more youth injected for 2022 and we'll be right back in it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 17, 2021, 9:43 pm I think it's closed for 2021, I just can't see any compelling options in our backline. We just need more youth injected for 2022 and we'll be right back in it.
Yep, 100% agree'
It looks closed for this year, but there is room to move and changes to the sqaud to make that could open it back up in 2022.
Right now the coach is too invested in veterans across the board. Which is interesting given he's spoken openly about his failure at the roosters being was to cling to veterans who'd done their job too long and wasnt ruthless enough.
Last edited by Botman on April 17, 2021, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: The dood with the boofy hair

Post by Shano »

Absolutely it's closed