Wighton and Cotric named in NSW squad

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

No surprises there. Fittler announced this morning. Also Walker, Cook and Murray from Souths selected.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Wighton and Cotric named in NSW squad

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton and Nick Cotric added to NSW Blues extended Origin squad

The NSWRL is pleased to announce the following players have been added to the Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues extended squad as they prepare to enter their four-and-a-half week biosecurity bubble for the State of Origin series in November.

Jack Wighton and Nick Cotric (Canberra Raiders) and Cody Walker, Damien Cook and Cameron Murray (South Sydney Rabbitohs) were selected after their teams were eliminated from the NRL’s finals series.

Read more: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2020/10/1 ... ded-squad/

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/18/nsw ... ric-added/

Jack Wighton and Nick Cotric added to NSW Blues State of Origin squad

Jack Wighton will be in a five-eighth shootout when the Canberra Raiders half goes into NSW Blues camp later in the week.

"Jack's form at six means if he was to wear the six for NSW I'd be feeling pretty comfortable about it - but he was good at left centre too last year. In the end you just want to get your best players on the field - even if it's not in positions they play in week-in, week-out," Greg Alexander said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

No Jarrod Croker? Isn't NSW short of centres?
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Any idea when QLD additions will be announced? Interested to see if Lui is selected, and I read somewhere that Young is eligible?? Both could be selected along with Papa, considering QLD don't have amazing depth right now.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hudson Young is a NSW player. Queensland eligible Raiders:

Josh Papalii
Dunamis Lui
Corey Horsburgh
Adam Cook
Jarrett Subloo
Kai O'Donnell
Kurt Baptiste

https://www.qrl.com.au/about/eligible-players/

Last week, Queensland announced the new additions on Wednesday. Could be earlier this week, given Bennett now unoccupied.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Congrats to Jack.
And former Raider Nick Cotric.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Well SUBLOOOOO is a shoe-in there, surely.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

afgtnk wrote:Well SUBLOOOOO is a shoe-in there, surely.
Best 2 mins of the year

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Well done to Jack and Nick on their NSW selection. I expect Jack to again be at left center and probably Nick on the right wing for NSW.

I was surprised that Klemmer was not named. He did well last year at SOO level and his post-contact meters this year have been good. Still, Freddy has won the last 2 series so he has the credentials of success to back his decisions. Go the Blues.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

RedRaider wrote: October 19, 2020, 12:02 am Well done to Jack and Nick on their NSW selection. I expect Jack to again be at left center and probably Nick on the right wing for NSW.

I was surprised that Klemmer was not named. He did well last year at SOO level and his post-contact meters this year have been good. Still, Freddy has won the last 2 series so he has the credentials of success to back his decisions. Go the Blues.
It has been reported on NRL360 that Klemmer was not named because he dropped his bundle in the Origin camp last season after not being named in game 1.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

-TW- wrote: October 18, 2020, 3:01 pm
afgtnk wrote:Well SUBLOOOOO is a shoe-in there, surely.
Best 2 mins of the year

Sent from m hiy Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Try telling that to my wife.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 19, 2020, 12:36 am
RedRaider wrote: October 19, 2020, 12:02 am Well done to Jack and Nick on their NSW selection. I expect Jack to again be at left center and probably Nick on the right wing for NSW.

It has been reported on NRL360 that Klemmer was not named because he dropped his bundle in the Origin camp last season after not being named in game 1.
I'm pretty sure Klemmer played in the losing Game 1 in 2019 (Latrell Mitchells forgettable match), but was injured for Game 2 before returning on the interchange bench for Game 3. Anyway, Freddy has not picked him for the 2020 Series. I would have had him in - sheer size and mongrel plus the ability to play long minutes.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I fear that not resigning Cotric will come back to haunt us next year. Will probably break out as a leading Centre purely through his shear ability to break tackles where the Raiders will be shown up just how lacking we are in that position in 2021.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

RedRaider wrote: October 19, 2020, 4:58 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 19, 2020, 12:36 am

I'm pretty sure Klemmer played in the losing Game 1 in 2019 (Latrell Mitchells forgettable match), but was injured for Game 2 before returning on the interchange bench for Game 3. Anyway, Freddy has not picked him for the 2020 Series. I would have had him in - sheer size and mongrel plus the ability to play long minutes.
Yeah, that might have been it. Either way, his issue seems to be one of attitude rather than performance.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LastRaider wrote: October 19, 2020, 5:00 pm I fear that not resigning Cotric will come back to haunt us next year. Will probably break out as a leading Centre purely through his shear ability to break tackles where the Raiders will be shown up just how lacking we are in that position in 2021.
He won't become a bad player, that's for sure. Theoretically centre should suit his power game and makes sheer speed less important. He's always been able to interchange play well on a break so I suspect he'll be ok setting a winger away.

I'd have him in the top 8 centres already- Manu, Best, Crighton, Morris and I'll throw Olam in there... Then it's incomplete guys like Lomax or Ramien, Naden etc.

After a full pre-season there and a few weeks settling in he could be a gun. Then again, he might just spend a lot of time behind the sticks in a crappy DOgs team.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

650k says we did the right thing letting Cotric go. The decision is made for you at that point.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Apparently he would have stayed for $525K. But I cant blame him for taking $650K even at the Dogs.
I cant think of another winger who would be on that much.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Oh I don't blame him. I wish him well and am still looking forward to watching him play. That 525k was just manager milking after we negotiated an offer of 500k.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

NRL Preliminary Final exit the Origin of Canberra Raiders winger Nick Cotric's fire

Departing Canberra Raiders Nick Cotric went into NSW Blues camp on Friday after having a week off following the Raiders' prelim exit at the hands of the Melbourne Storm at Lang Park.

"I just want to do the best I can for the Origin team now and play my heart out. I've still got that fire in the belly the way we finished [the NRL season] - a bit disappointed and I just want to get out there and play footy."

The Greenhouse score update service
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

My gut feeling tells me we’ll see Cotric return...particularly if the Dogs have a rough year..
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Cotric to Bulldogs. What a waste of young talent.

Smart people don’t cash in on their skills until they’ve slowed their development curve.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Lol, You guys are all thinking the Bulldogs are going to be a terrible move next year! They way they are recruiting they’ll probably beat us next year!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

LastRaider wrote:Lol, You guys are all thinking the Bulldogs are going to be a terrible move next year! They way they are recruiting they’ll probably beat us next year!
Hold this thought for next season. They should be better but not sure they are recruiting for success. Buying in the wrong positions for proper success.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Jarome Luai in the squad... that's 4 **** 6's!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Isn't it like an 85 man squad?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton sets sight on missing medal... a premiership medal

Dally M Medal. Mal Meninga Medal. Clive Churchill Medal. Next on Jack Wighton's bucket list is an NRL premiership medal. But first the Canberra Raiders five-eighth's focus is on helping the NSW Blues.

"I'd just love to try and get that premiership for the club now. That's the big goal." Wighton said. "Obviously [the Preliminary Final loss] is something we're going to have to use next year to fuel us."

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Sid wrote: October 25, 2020, 9:40 pm Jarome Luai in the squad... that's 4 **** 6's!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Freddy is the coach. He loves his Panthers. I didn't even think Luai qualified for NSW or Australia.

Isaiah Yeo is the Jarrod Croker of the Panthers.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton at the centre of NSW Blues' potent left edge

Canberra Raiders five-eighth Jack Wighton is using State of Origin as an opportunity to pick the brains of Roosters No.6 Luke Keary to enhance his own game next year.

"He's won three premierships. He's a very knowledgeable player and I love the craft of him," Wighton said. "He's definitely someone I can take little tips and watch, and learn a little bit from."