2020 season player ratings

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

CNK - 6 down on form compared to last year and exposed positionally and defensively. feel we can do better in an all important spine position.
Valemei - 5 some glorious moments in attack offset by park football moments in defence. will be lucky to see much action next year.
Croker - 5 easily his worst season in the green, culminating in a truly horrid finals series. isnt up to it physically, simple as that.
Rapana - 5 best years well behind him. hopefully moving back to wing next year he can recapture some of his former glory.
Cotric - 7 developing into true tackle busting machine. a huge loss on par with BJ.
Wighton - 7 another solid season for Jack, but he didnt really kick on in terms of his passing/playmaking skills. is what it is.
Williams - 7 great start to his NRL career though still plenty room for improvement
Tapine - 8 breakthrough year for the big man. great footwork and speed.
Whitehead - 7 another stellar season from the pom
Bateman - 6 apart from occasional flashy brilliance he was pretty average
Papalii - 9 absolute machine
Havilii - 6 did his best
Lui - 7 plenty of grunt work down the middle

Bench
Starling - 7 arguably the second best hooker we’ve had at the club since Woolford
CHN - 7 superb cameos. needs to start next year.
Young - 7 really blossomed in the second part of the season.
Sutton - 7 much improved

Stuart - 8 despite the Storm loss being the low point of the season, with all the injuries we still punched above our weight to make the prelims.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: 2020 season player ratings

Post by Ruben Daley »

Wow. We did exceptionally well to get within a game of the GF after beating the two-time premiers with such an ordinary team.

These ratings stink. “Wighton - 7 another solid season for Jack” - are you kidding me?

Your assessment is a reflection of a poor loser who doesn’t really know much about footy.

That game sucked but season was impressive. Pull your head in.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Giving Cotric the same score as Wighton and Williams is straight out wrong. Our halves were outstanding this year and a big reason we made a preliminary final.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Agreed. I hope some if you guys don't mark my exams - way too harsh.

Overall we have been excellent.

Want to esp. praise Papa, Tapine, Jack, G Williams, CNK, Dunamis, Starling, Sutton and Young.

And of course Ricky.

Although I'm sad, I'm proud of the team and we did well to be in one of the top 4 teams.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Ruben Daley wrote: October 17, 2020, 7:58 am Wow. We did exceptionally well to get within a game of the GF after beating the two-time premiers with such an ordinary team.

These ratings stink. “Wighton - 7 another solid season for Jack” - are you kidding me?

Your assessment is a reflection of a poor loser who doesn’t really know much about footy.

Naw okayz everyone gets 10 then especially Wighton because he “bleeds green” and Crokes gets bonus browny points for weaning the ken Stephens medal.

La la la la
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

rayden83 wrote: October 17, 2020, 12:25 am CNK - 6 down on form compared to last year and exposed positionally and defensively. feel we can do better in an all important spine position.

Got this far and decided I'm going to put the computer away for a while. It's not CNK's fault the left edge can't tackle and the right edge was two semi trailers chasing two sportscars.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BadnMean wrote:
rayden83 wrote: October 17, 2020, 12:25 am CNK - 6 down on form compared to last year and exposed positionally and defensively. feel we can do better in an all important spine position.

Got this far and decided I'm going to put the computer away for a while. It's not CNK's fault the left edge can't tackle and the right edge was two semi trailers chasing two sportscars.
Yep. Definitely no issue with CNK on the defensive side of the game.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I'm really struggling with the CNK criticism this season. He was epic in defence last week when it mattered. If anything, he has improved his all round game from last season. For the life of me I don't know how people think he's gone backwards.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 17, 2020, 12:06 pm Yeah, I'm really struggling with the CNK criticism this season. He was epic in defence last week when it mattered. If anything, he has improved his all round game from last season. For the life of me I don't know how people think he's gone backwards.
Seiffert82 wrote: October 17, 2020, 12:06 pm Yeah, I'm really struggling with the CNK criticism this season. He was epic in defence last week when it mattered. If anything, he has improved his all round game from last season. For the life of me I don't know how people think he's gone backwards.
Don’t you remember earlier in the season, probably after the halfway point, many were accusing him of being a “park footballer” not up to first grade standard. He didn’t endure those criticism in his first season. He had some good games (eg semi against the Roosters) but he also had some very bad games (eh prelim v Storm). The ratings reflect their performances across the whole season not just recent memory.

Sometimes CNK’s defensive reads are very poor, he gets caught in no mans lands and seems lost or not exactly where he needs to be to snuff out attacks. He also hasn’t mastered catching the high ball. How many times did we let the high ball bounce this season? Sure it wasn’t always CNK under it but he doesn’t inspire confidence imo.

Not suggesting for a minute that he’s a bad player, but he isn’t the complete fullback and if we want to start WINNING premierships we should strive to make our spine as good as other teams. But if we are satisfied making top 8s he is good enough for that.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Ruben Daley wrote: October 17, 2020, 7:58 am Wow. We did exceptionally well to get within a game of the GF after beating the two-time premiers with such an ordinary team.

I agree, it is his/her opinion but I do agree and was rated way off, for a team that has beaten the likes of Melbourne (away) and Roosters x2 (away), with travel Restrictions, key player injuries and to qualifiy for a prelim final is amazing, remember we got written off since round 9. lets look at the goods Hudo is gonna be a great player, starling only getting better, CHN running hard, papa/taps on fire, wighton/williams on fire, we are without a doubt a top 8 team next year even with injuries, a healthy year and we should be top 4, just sort the backline out and i will be a happy chap
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

CNK 6
Simonsson 5
Croker 4
Scott 2
Cotric 6
Wighton 8
Williams 7
Papalii 8
Hodgson 4
Lui 6
Horsburgh 6
Whitehead 7
Tapine 8

Havilli 6
Guler 5
Soliola 5
Oldfield 3

Starling 8
Sutton 6
Valemi 4
Rapana 5
Young 7
O'Donnell 5
HSS 6
CHN 7
Timoko 5

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Not considering anyone who played less than five games.

CNK - 6
Valemei - 4.5
Croker - 5
Rapana - 5
Cotric - 6.5
Wighton - 7.5
Williams - 8
Papalii - 8.5
Havili - 6.5
Lui - 6.5
Whitehead - 7.5
Bateman - 6
Tapine - 8

Starling - 6.5
Soliola - 5.5
Young - 7
CHN - 6

Hodgson - 6
Scott - 3.5
Sutton - 7
Simonsson - 5.5
Oldfield - 5
Guler - 6
Horsburgh - 6
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

rayden83 wrote: October 17, 2020, 12:30 pm
Don’t you remember earlier in the season, probably after the halfway point, many were accusing him of being a “park footballer” not up to first grade standard. He didn’t endure those criticism in his first season. He had some good games (eg semi against the Roosters) but he also had some very bad games (eh prelim v Storm). The ratings reflect their performances across the whole season not just recent memory.

Sometimes CNK’s defensive reads are very poor, he gets caught in no mans lands and seems lost or not exactly where he needs to be to snuff out attacks. He also hasn’t mastered catching the high ball. How many times did we let the high ball bounce this season? Sure it wasn’t always CNK under it but he doesn’t inspire confidence imo.

Not suggesting for a minute that he’s a bad player, but he isn’t the complete fullback and if we want to start WINNING premierships we should strive to make our spine as good as other teams. But if we are satisfied making top 8s he is good enough for that.
Yep, fair enough. I absolutely appreciate everyone has their opinions based on different metrics, but couldn't give a rats if some people thought CNK is a park quality footballer. They're idiots.

Same goes with the likes of Bateman and Croker. I've been highly critical of Bateman this season. I think he has played quite selfishly and the opposition has largely worked him out. Many people disagree with me and that's fine. Same goes with Croker. I think he has definitely struggled for form most of the season. He looks tired. Some don't see it. I rate Young and Valemei's potential quite highly, others don't. All good.

In the case of CNK, I think having quite a disrupted combo with his wingers hasn't helped in fielding bombs. In saying that, I'm not seeing what you are seeing with regards to his positioning.

I think his ball playing is improving and he will only get better. That is obviously something new this season that he has been working on.

It's all good. I commend you for putting yourself out there with rating the players straight after a tough loss. Many people will agree with you and some won't. That's how it works.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

You keep saying this Seiffert, possibly in an attempt to try and make it true, but CNK's ball playing has not improved. There is little to no evidence to suggest otherwise. He has been all but removed from any set move that we run in the red zone as a result. I, for one, have no idea what he's doing there when we've got the ball, if he's supposed to be doing anything at all.

For example, during our consolation try in the red zone that Williams instigated, he's setup shape to receive the ball as the second man by naturally drifting slightly wide. Instead, he just ambles on his existing straight line with no purpose, for Williams to then cut him out and hit Rapana straight. That ball goes to the fullback in other teams. We literally saw the opposition 1 do this last night, which tore us to shreds.

If we're serious about improving and adding the necessary layers to our game to win this thing, CNK either has to get a lot better or shift out. The game is played on both sides of the ball, not one. Right now, we've got a fullback who's a complete non-entity inside the opposition 20. Teams in this comp can ill afford a bystander in that zone, let alone their number one. What's more, his support play hasn't improved much either, and this thing he's doing with repeatedly catching the ball on his backside is negating any opportunities that may present to run at a broken line and get into the back field, or manage to get into space to pass to a teammate in better position.

Croker and Rapana were worse this season but CNK did not manage to function much better, and his position is far more crucial to the success of the team than those two. You don't get a decade to develop - he's had two full seasons now and barely improved an inch.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

CNK did pretty well backing up and setting up Rapana for Williams' try the week before.

Anyway, we're going to disagree on this one. The guy is an elite defensive fullback, who saved our **** on a couple of occasions against the Roosters. He consistently makes hard yards and he is developing his ball playing, which Stuart clearly simplified for the team (like all good coaches) leading into the finals.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 17, 2020, 4:17 pm CNK did pretty well backing up and setting up Rapana for Williams' try the week before.

Anyway, we're going to disagree on this one. The guy is an elite defensive fullback, who saved our **** on a couple of occasions against the Roosters. He consistently makes hard yards and he is developing his ball playing, which Stuart clearly simplified for the team (like all good coaches) leading into the finals.
That video doesn't address the crux of the argument. This is largely about ball playing.

Over the course of the past few weeks and months you've repeatedly stated that his ball playing has been improving. You've said it again. Where?

You saying this over and over again doesn't make it true mate. I'm not just disagreeing with you - I'm flat out telling you that you're making this up, and largely believe that it's agenda based.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Why would I have an agenda? I just care about watching a good football team. If I think a player is struggling I'll say it.

Anyway, since Hodgo was injured, Stuart adapted our attack to focus more on the halves and getting them to combine on both sides of the field. At the start of the season CNK was getting more involved in the attacking 20 and was certainly clunky. As time has gone on, he has been less involved but his touches have been of higher quality, even throwing in some nice short kicks. I see a player who is sniffing around the ruck more and is getting becoming more confident in his passing game.

Like Sezer, Valemei and Young, you've totally written him off, which is fine. I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings next season.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

RE: CNK. Last year I thought he was "good for the money" we were paying him. This year I needed to see improvement to warrant the extra money. I dont think he is real quick, but have to say I was impressed with his positioning, most of his defence and I especially liked his footwork to make a few breaks. He has also improved his ball play. I dont think he is a game breaker, but on his money I would still say he is good value.

Croker: Smart footballer, maybe a great leader, but have to agree with some who think he is physically not up to it. He has lost that edge in speed - which apart from goal kicking would be his only other attribute. He always has and will be a mediocre defender. Note that Im not calling him a weak defender, but he is far from what anyone would call a "defensive centre". Chances of him moving on are almost zilch so maybe a tough call from the coach will be needed in 2021 if he doesn't bring something new to the table.

Rapana: Not a centre, clearly. Still a good, solid, winger. I like his aggression but he doesn't have the pace anymore. Id keep him as he probably is not on huge bucks and could be considered fairly reliable. Also a good squad filler.

Scott: Rotten start to the season. Hopefully improves now the court case is done. I have my doubts.

We have about 2 full 1st grade forward packs and Im really happy about that. Lui, Havilli, Sutton, Guler, and Starling (notably) and others have stepped up. If we could afford to lose anyone its probably Sutton though. But the forwards are not the main problem.

Timoko, Valemei, HSS all look to me like they have a future, but they are inexperienced.

We need a faaast big, centre and winger. game changer type fellas. We can carry some cheaper mid level backs if we have that.

Dont mind me. Just talking at a tree.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's on 330k. I don't know what you guys think you can get for 330k.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

CNK still outstanding value.

Plus if that’s his version of second year syndrome then look out NRL!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

zim wrote:He's on 330k. I don't know what you guys think you can get for 330k.
Good point. I do think we have to figure in wages and salary cap when choosing who to release and keep.

It’s no good getting rid of Lui if he’s only on $250k as reported, or Guler and Horsburgh if they are on similar low dollars as I would expect they are.

Some hard decisions will have to be made about those who are on $550+
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: October 17, 2020, 9:19 pm He's on 330k. I don't know what you guys think you can get for 330k.
I'd take him over Edwards and Pamfers seem to be doing ok. CNK isn't the issue. You can win a comp with him just fine (given the talent we have in the rest of the spine). If we get great value out of CNK which allows Wighton, Williams, Hodgo/Starling + a Havilii backup then that's a fair and prudent use of cap. BUT the rest of the back 5 around him needs a bit of strike and a bit of a revamp for 2021.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Forwards 9/10
Halves 9/10
Backs 5/10
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

rayden83 wrote: October 17, 2020, 10:26 am

Naw okayz everyone gets 10 then especially Wighton because he “bleeds green” and Crokes gets bonus browny points for weaning the ken Stephens medal.

La la la la
I was actually thinking Wighton might score highly due to being the form five-eighth of the comp.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: October 18, 2020, 7:30 am

La la la la
I was actually thinking Wighton might score highly due to being the form five-eighth of the comp.
Apart from being in the top 3 attacking 5/8s, and in the top 3 kicking 5/8s, and the best defensive 5/8, which no other 5/8s managed to be near the top of all categories (because lets face it you're doing bloody well if you're even near the top at two facets of the game, let alone 3)... apart from that and apart and those intangibles like kick chase and being a matchwinner- yeah apart from that... what else did he do?

nothin!
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

BadnMean wrote: October 18, 2020, 8:17 am

La la la la
Apart from being in the top 3 attacking 5/8s, and in the top 3 kicking 5/8s, and the best defensive 5/8, which no other 5/8s managed to be near the top of all categories (because lets face it you're doing bloody well if you're even near the top at two facets of the game, let alone 3)... apart from that and apart and those intangibles like kick chase and being a matchwinner- yeah apart from that... what else did he do?

nothin!
Wighton
13 Tries
8 Try assists
8 line break assists

Walker
10 tries
21 Try assists
17 line break assists

Keary
10 tries
18 try assists
13 line break assists

Luai
7 tries
22 try assists
19 line break assists

Marshall
2 tries
17 try assists
17 line break assists

Firstly 7 isn’t a bad score, in fact it’s a good score! Secondly while those stats don’t tell the full story, essentially your halves are going to be judged by their ability to score tries, create tries or create line breaks, and whilst Wighton is excellent at scoring tries close to the line, he isn’t much of a creator.

I primarily rated him as 7 as I believe he was a bit down on form from last year and his running game wasn’t as devastating. But 7 is still good!
perlarray
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Ricky

Post by perlarray »

GreenMachine wrote: October 18, 2020, 6:26 am Forwards 9/10
Halves 9/10
Backs 5/10
COVID-19 1/10
NRL Wither On The Vine Factor 8/10
Travel Situation 2/10
Home Game Advantage 0/10
6-Again Rule Change 6.5/10
2021 Milk Sponsorship 10/10
Made the Prelim AGAIN 10/10
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Milk sponsorship at least a 11/10
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

rayden83 wrote: October 18, 2020, 10:28 am

Wighton
13 Tries
8 Try assists
8 line break assists

Walker
10 tries
21 Try assists
17 line break assists

Keary
10 tries
18 try assists
13 line break assists

Luai
7 tries
22 try assists
19 line break assists

Marshall
2 tries
17 try assists
17 line break assists

Firstly 7 isn’t a bad score, in fact it’s a good score! Secondly while those stats don’t tell the full story, essentially your halves are going to be judged by their ability to score tries, create tries or create line breaks, and whilst Wighton is excellent at scoring tries close to the line, he isn’t much of a creator.

I primarily rated him as 7 as I believe he was a bit down on form from last year and his running game wasn’t as devastating. But 7 is still good!
So he's leading in tries, still up near the top in lb assists (top 6), 2nd in linebreaks (you left that off). Your analysis assumes there is only one way to be an effective 5/8, Wighton plays a more dynamic, style creating for himself which is sensible, since he;s one of the best runners of the footy in the comp. Oh yeah, that's another attacking stat Wighton was #1 in- run metres. So yes, I stand by my judgement as Wighton as one of the best attacking 5/8s (top 3) in the comp.

Your analysis also neglects that those other halves have red hot outside backs to work with. Wighton had Toots and Valemi. We lacked a bit of punch on the flanks all season, which is part of why we didn't rack up the stats in some cricket scores that some other teams did. Not the only reason, but part of it.

Again, a 5/8 who is easily top 3 in attacking stats and clearly the best defender and arguably the best kicker (most kick metres, most 40/20s, reasonable amount of forced drop outs given that's not his kicking role) is probably the best 5/8 in the comp. And unless it's a poor eyar for #6's. probably went better than a 7, given he was leading a side which made the prelims without it's other main spine player and with first year NRL halfback next to him. Maybe he went better than a 7 then? And yeah, 7 is an ok score. It's just not the score appropriate for Jacks season. In my opinion.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

CNK - 6.5
Valemei - 5
Croker - 5
Rapana - 6
Cotric - 6.5
Wighton - 8
Williams - 8
Papalii - 8
Starling - 7
Lui - 6.5
Bateman - 6
Whitehead - 6.5
Tapine - 8

Young - 7
Soliola - 6
Havili - 6.5
CHN - 6.5

Hors - 6.5
Guler - 7
Hodgson- 6
Simonnson - 6
Timoko - 6.5
HSS - 6.5
Sutton - 7
Oldfield - 5
Scott - 4
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

BadnMean wrote: October 18, 2020, 11:54 am
rayden83 wrote: October 18, 2020, 10:28 am

Wighton
13 Tries
8 Try assists
8 line break assists

Walker
10 tries
21 Try assists
17 line break assists

Keary
10 tries
18 try assists
13 line break assists

Luai
7 tries
22 try assists
19 line break assists

Marshall
2 tries
17 try assists
17 line break assists

So he's leading in tries, still up near the top in lb assists (top 6), 2nd in linebreaks (you left that off). Your analysis assumes there is only one way to be an effective 5/8, Wighton plays a more dynamic, style creating for himself which is sensible, since he;s one of the best runners of the footy in the comp. Oh yeah, that's another attacking stat Wighton was #1 in- run metres. So yes, I stand by my judgement as Wighton as one of the best attacking 5/8s (top 3) in the comp.

Your analysis also neglects that those other halves have red hot outside backs to work with. Wighton had Toots and Valemi. We lacked a bit of punch on the flanks all season, which is part of why we didn't rack up the stats in some cricket scores that some other teams did. Not the only reason, but part of it.

Again, a 5/8 who is easily top 3 in attacking stats and clearly the best defender and arguably the best kicker (most kick metres, most 40/20s, reasonable amount of forced drop outs given that's not his kicking role) is probably the best 5/8 in the comp. And unless it's a poor eyar for #6's. probably went better than a 7, given he was leading a side which made the prelims without it's other main spine player and with first year NRL halfback next to him. Maybe he went better than a 7 then? And yeah, 7 is an ok score. It's just not the score appropriate for Jacks season. In my opinion.
Thank you for your opinion
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: October 18, 2020, 8:17 am

La la la la

nothin!
Hahaha. He also bleeds green, BnM. But don’t mention that.

We’re all disappointed with the Storm game. I think it’s fair to say most of us feel disappointed because of the abysmal performance rather than the loss. But that doesn’t take away from the great season the team had nor the impressive individual seasons from guys like Jack.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Wighton vs other 5/8s:
Tries: 1st (by 3 tries)
Try assists: 10th (Smith played 1 game)
Line Breaks: 2nd (Staggs played 1 game - Walker had 8 more, wow)
Line Break assists: 10th
Tackle Busts: 3rd
Run meteres: 1st
Try Involvements: 8th
Kick Meters: 1st (by 400m BTW)
Forced Drop Outs: 12th
40/20s: equal 1st (Green and Benji)

Out of 10 attacking stats for halves, he is 1st in 4 of them. Then top 3 in another 2. Thats a damn good season.

Statistically, Walker is the best 5/8 this yr. Then its a toss up between Luai, Keary, SJ, DBrown or Jack. IMO, Luai probably pips Jack, and injury cruels the other 3. So, IMO, for 2020, its Walker, Luai, Jack, Keary, DBrown, SJ.

If you are top 3 in your position for a season, you are better than a 7 too, so Id say at least 8, possibly 8.5-9.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The you consider that you spend 50% of the game without the ball... and Wighton is streets ahead of any other top 5/8 there. 1/3 as many try causes as Walker. Half as many line break causes. 2x as many 1 on 1 tackles as Walker (relevant as reflects his kick chase and the times he comes out and lays a hit on a player to change the momentum of a set).
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, you obviously have to include defence in any player rating. To that extent, Wighton rates a 8-9 and Cody Walker is a 4-5 in defence. On the whole, Jack is a far more rounded player than anyone else in that position.