Your predicted Canberra Raiders team for next year?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Re: Team for next year

Post by Neeeegz »

Darby medlyn had a good look about him, I'm keen for us to keep him and possible option for second row if needed...
A serious discussion needs to happen about our captain although.
Still a good goal kicker..
Ineffective in defence and attack these days tho
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Kai O'Donnell is listed as a second rower. Not sure if he'd actually turn out there in first grade. Really looks like a lock.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: October 19, 2020, 5:33 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: October 19, 2020, 3:58 pm Apart from his last couple of games Whitehead was literally one of our best this year.

I am putting this in the basket of strange and irrational calls along with the criticism of CNK.

We have actual issues to address before even remotely considering Whitehead as one of them; namely our outside backs and Hodgson's return from 2x ACL's.
Nothing irrational about it. He's been outstanding this year then his form dropped off a cliff in the finals. Ignoring that this occurred is more along the lines of irrational.
Maybe irrational is the wrong word. Being worried about a brief form slump can certainly be rationalised.

I guess my thoughts are that in my opinion it is a bit premature to be getting concerned about Elliot’s future, if anyone is doing that.

Croker, on the other hand...
Up The Milk
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

zim wrote: October 19, 2020, 8:33 pm Kai O'Donnell is listed as a second rower. Not sure if he'd actually turn out there in first grade. Really looks like a lock.
His best position is in the back row but his job this year was to give us some minutes up the middle.

We are ok for young forwards going forward. Most of you don’t know the names Trey Mooney and Caleb Esera.

You soon will. They are absolute beasts.
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Bay53 wrote: October 19, 2020, 8:46 pm
zim wrote: October 19, 2020, 8:33 pm Kai O'Donnell is listed as a second rower. Not sure if he'd actually turn out there in first grade. Really looks like a lock.
His best position is in the back row but his job this year was to give us some minutes up the middle.

We are ok for young forwards going forward. Most of you don’t know the names Trey Mooney and Caleb Esera.

Definitely. Mooney has brilliant footwork while Esera looks like a Kikau clone. I would be earmarking the latter to replace Whitehead in a couple of years. I also like that dummy half Trevilyan a lot
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

have not seen a single solitary **** second of Esera but i am already all on him :lol:
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Botman wrote: October 19, 2020, 8:54 pm have not seen a single solitary **** second of Esera but i am already all on him :lol:
Imagine number 12 running outside of Wighton in a couple of years

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

They won't play first grade next year unless we go through another injury crisis.
Well, maybe there's another round 20.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: October 19, 2020, 8:54 pm have not seen a single solitary **** second of Esera but i am already all on him :lol:
He’s a beast..
The question is whether he keeps enough agility to defend on the edge...seems to be growing almost every year..
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: October 20, 2020, 7:23 am
He’s a beast..
The question is whether he keeps enough agility to defend on the edge...seems to be growing almost every year..
Yeah seems like every single person who's watched him play raves about him
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Colk wrote: October 19, 2020, 9:11 pm
Imagine number 12 running outside of Wighton in a couple of years

Yeah, that's next level brutal. Wow.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

zim wrote: October 19, 2020, 11:06 pm

They won't play first grade next year unless we go through another injury crisis.
I agree. They won’t play next year unless something drastic happens but those three should be in our plans from 2022 and beyond, so much so that our recruitment decisions for next year should factor them in.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

GreenMachine wrote: October 20, 2020, 7:23 am
He’s a beast..
That will be the big thing with him. He is an asset attacking on an edge
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah just watched those highlights
That is a BIG BIG unit. How old is he? Dude looks like he's 27 :lol:
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Botman wrote: October 20, 2020, 8:54 am Yeah just watched those highlights
That is a BIG BIG unit. How old is he? Dude looks like he's 27 :lol:
He played schoolboy football last year so probably 18 or 19.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

What about this guy? Hope he is a Cotric Mark II.

Canberra Raiders snare young gun flyer Sione Tapu'osi

The Raiders haven't been sitting around moping since their exit from the finals over the weekend, signing one of the best young wingers in the country. Sione Tapu'osi is just 18 but had a host of clubs chasing him following his deeds for renowned league nursery St Joseph's Nudgee College.

Raiders talent guru Peter Mulholland has signed the youngster to a two-year deal and he could well fill the shoes of Nick Cotirc, who is off to the Bulldogs. A 193cm, 100kg wrecking ball, the Kiwi-born youngster has pace and power and is one to watch next season.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-melbo ... 986e5d6852
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oh i like that... big, tall and fast...
It is worth noting TR hasnt heard of him. No confirmation yet as to whether Sione has heard of TR.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

watching the CRRL GF the only player who stood out to me was the bulls number 11 who valiantly despite his physical limitations tried to run down the raiders full back.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

just watched the sione highlights reel.

might be a good player but that highlights reel didnt show much.

TBH the highlight was him putting in an odd kick (but then he is playing an odd game) and having a whinge for being taken out.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

papabear wrote: October 20, 2020, 9:32 am watching the CRRL GF the only player who stood out to me was the bulls number 11 who valiantly despite his physical limitations tried to run down the raiders full back.
1000% Man
i was super impressed with his hustle... that dude was huffin and puffin and didnt give up at all, almost killed our guy falling on top of him at the end! Great stuff from him
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Colk wrote: October 20, 2020, 8:40 am
zim wrote: October 19, 2020, 11:06 pm

I agree. They won’t play next year unless something drastic happens but those three should be in our plans from 2022 and beyond, so much so that our recruitment decisions for next year should factor them in.
Yeah 2022 we'll likely be seeing Sia move on, Havili, Lui. That gives you space to start moving guys up to the edge of the squad like Mooney, Esera and a new hooker in Adrian Trevilyan.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

papabear wrote: October 20, 2020, 9:38 am just watched the sione highlights reel.

TBH the highlight was him putting in an odd kick (but then he is playing an odd game) and having a whinge for being taken out.
lol what exactly were the highlights? 😂
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

papabear wrote: October 20, 2020, 9:32 am watching the CRRL GF the only player who stood out to me was the bulls number 11 who valiantly despite his physical limitations tried to run down the raiders full back.
That’s Jack Williams. Was a Raiders junior, but not in the system now.

And if you’re not impressed by some of our Under 20s this year... I won’t go on!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hazza wrote: October 20, 2020, 9:56 am
papabear wrote: October 20, 2020, 9:38 am just watched the sione highlights reel.

They’re playing union. What did you expect? ;)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote:Oh i like that... big, tall and fast...
It is worth noting TR hasnt heard of him. No confirmation yet as to whether Sione has heard of TR.
He hasn't explicitly come out with anything, but I imagine he'd be quite the fan.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

At least he looks a physical specimen
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: October 20, 2020, 9:40 am
1000% Man
i was super impressed with his hustle... that dude was huffin and puffin and didnt give up at all, almost killed our guy falling on top of him at the end! Great stuff from him
whatever his name is, if we ever find out, we should give an award after the game to not the most talented player, but the player who showed the most hustle/effort.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

greeneyed wrote: October 20, 2020, 10:03 am
Hazza wrote: October 20, 2020, 9:56 am

They’re playing union. What did you expect? ;)
i get that but even for union it just looked regulation.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Can't see an 18 year old convert featuring in first grade next year. If you were looking for a fresh outside back for next year you're still looking.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

papabear wrote:just watched the sione highlights reel.

Yeah I was waiting for something special.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

The thing about Croker, as I see it, is that if you go back a few years, he seemed to be regarded (rightly) pretty much by everyone as a complete turnstile. Bur he worked on, and improved, his defence, and people stopped talking about it. Now those defensive frailties seem to have re-emerged (or is it that our standards/expectations have increased, I don't know). Maybe it's the difference between, what's good enough for a 'bottom half' team, and what's good enough for a squad challenging for silverware.

Someone asked upthread about George as a kicker. Yeah, he did kick for us at one time, wiki tells me, 70 goals. But I think he was dragooned into the role when Matty Smith and Sam Tomkins left, and was never keen on it. I'd see him as a back-up kicker, who can knock them over from in front all right, but won't get too many from the touch-line. In fact it amazes me how some top NRL sides seem to think they can manage without a 'proper' kicker. And Croker, whatever you say about him, is certainly that.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

moto748 wrote: October 20, 2020, 10:12 pm The thing about Croker, as I see it, is that if you go back a few years, he seemed to be regarded (rightly) pretty much by everyone as a complete turnstile. Bur he worked on, and improved, his defence, and people stopped talking about it. Now those defensive frailties seem to have re-emerged (or is it that our standards/expectations have increased, I don't know). Maybe it's the difference between, what's good enough for a 'bottom half' team, and what's good enough for a squad challenging for silverware.

Someone asked upthread about George as a kicker. Yeah, he did kick for us at one time, wiki tells me, 70 goals. But I think he was dragooned into the role when Matty Smith and Sam Tomkins left, and was never keen on it. I'd see him as a back-up kicker, who can knock them over from in front all right, but won't get too many from the touch-line. In fact it amazes me how some top NRL sides seem to think they can manage without a 'proper' kicker. And Croker, whatever you say about him, is certainly that.
George's kicking percentage is quite bad in the SL from memory - mid 60% or thereabouts. Nowhere near good enough to be a first stringer.

If we managed to sign Zac Lomax like many of us hoped in the off-season instead of downgrading our ambition by landing Scott we wouldn't have a problem, as the guy is a very handy kicker (near 80%) and can kick the thing a mile.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

afgtnk wrote: October 22, 2020, 9:03 pm
moto748 wrote: October 20, 2020, 10:12 pm The thing about Croker, as I see it, is that if you go back a few years, he seemed to be regarded (rightly) pretty much by everyone as a complete turnstile. Bur he worked on, and improved, his defence, and people stopped talking about it. Now those defensive frailties seem to have re-emerged (or is it that our standards/expectations have increased, I don't know). Maybe it's the difference between, what's good enough for a 'bottom half' team, and what's good enough for a squad challenging for silverware.

George's kicking percentage is quite bad in the SL from memory - mid 60% or thereabouts. Nowhere near good enough to be a first stringer.

If we managed to sign Zac Lomax like many of us hoped in the off-season instead of downgrading our ambition by landing Scott we wouldn't have a problem, as the guy is a very handy kicker (near 80%) and can kick the thing a mile.
True. I wonder if there are any goal kickers available to sign?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

moto748 wrote: October 20, 2020, 10:12 pm Bur he worked on, and improved, his defence, and people stopped talking about it.
I mean half of this is right, but lets at least be absolutely **** honest about it.
People... those people never stopped talking about it even when it was objectively not a major problem :lol:
His defence has NEVER something not talked about. Ever.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

OK, Botman, obviously I don't mean on Raiders fan-sites, I mean in general.