No votes
Storm 13+
20%

Total votes: 10

Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Re: 2020 Finals Week 3 V Storm: Game Day

Post by Smurfette »

A pretty devastating way to end the season. Disappointing that we were never in it. Thoroughly outplayed in that first 15 minutes and I guess that’s why the week off is so important.

I would’ve said this even if we’d won, but the organisation/presentation of the match by the NRL was well down on previous finals. I understand Covid probably has some impact, and being a neutral venue didn’t help, but not facilitating the Viking clap for the biggest crowd of the season thus far was a huge disappointment.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BadnMean wrote:Jack ran the pants off it in the GF. What was he waiting for tonight?
He got jammed every time he touched it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

In 2020, our outstanding halves + Papa and Taps have papered over the awful truth...we are a middling side, playing a gormless, soulless brand of football.
Our coach is an infuriating confection of outstanding man management coupled with dour tactical conservatism.
Our team defends with tenacity, but attacks with myopia.
Our outside backs are either inept, inexperienced, or decrepit...and nary a suggestion of speed in any of the back five.
This team needs to look to the future. Bleeding green will not suffice thrice to elevate us to the summit of preliminary final. We need speed, youth, and a refreshed game plan that reveals, rather than conceals, the latent talents of our skilled players.
With the excellent, and conspicuously professional English half in our fold for a while longer, we must seize the opportunity to explore the limits of our talent, and to resist the temptation to once more go to the well of one-out smash ball.
Please, Ricky, please.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

-TW- wrote: October 16, 2020, 10:52 pm
BadnMean wrote:Jack ran the pants off it in the GF. What was he waiting for tonight?
He got jammed every time he touched it

Yeah they definitely zoned in on him.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

We were ****, end of.

If that's a regular season game you just bin it and move on, they were flat, made too many errors and got blown off the park

I don't buy into this whole blowing everything up mentality everyone has. We won 11/14 to end the season, you can't attack when you don't have the **** ball for 20 mins I don't care what team it is.

In this version of NRL to have that long without possession and you're not winning, simple

pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

amiafish wrote: October 16, 2020, 10:53 pm In 2020, our outstanding halves + Papa and Taps have papered over the awful truth...we are a middling side, playing a gormless, soulless brand of football.
Our coach is an infuriating confection of outstanding man management coupled with dour tactical conservatism.
Our outside backs are either inept, inexperienced, or decrepit...and nary a suggestion of speed in any of the back five.
This team needs to look to the future. Bleeding green will not suffice thrice to elevate us to the summit of preliminary final. We need speed, youth, and a refreshed game plan that reveals, rather than conceals, the latent talents of our skilled players.
With the excellent, and conspicuously professional English half in our fold for a while longer, we must seize the opportunity to explore the limits of our talent, and to resist the temptation to once more go to the well of one-out smash ball.
Please, Ricky, please.
Poetic and accurate. Wasting our talent on a game plan that thrives on individual brilliance has to stop. Please let this realisation be the silver lining of the season.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Yeah. Bamboozled and lost in the first 15 minutes.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

They exploited that JAC vs Cotric pace advantage with a cut out, a grabber behind, an early kick and support play. All within 20 minutes. Masterclass.

Worry is next year, Rapa is slower but are we smarter?
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

2020 Finals Week 3 V Storm: Game Day

Post by Postman Pat »

amiafish wrote:In 2020, our outstanding halves + Papa and Taps have papered over the awful truth...we are a middling side, playing a gormless, soulless brand of football.
Please, Ricky, please.
How the tides have turned from last weeks glorious victory closing out any idea of a three peat.

We were outplayed tonight, with a long list of injuries and guys playing out of position. We don’t need to throw the baby out with the bath water, we did really well this year considering what has happened.

I’m for one proud of this group of players, onto next year.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sticky said he was very disappointed in the way we played. He gave credit to the Storm and Bellamy and Smith. He was verging on emotional so he brought an end to the presser. Nothing much more to say really.
We had very little ball in the first quarter of the match, but the defence just didn't show up. The gang tackle which drove the Storm back into their in goal to start the second half was for some reason missing in the first half. They produced this effort after playing 40 minutes of football with 24 points put on against us. Where was that to start the game and really, where has it been most of this season.

I have enjoyed the Raiders season, given the quality and quantity of Raider players unavailable. We made a Preliminary Final with a quality spine player unavailable for most of the season. Our fullback of 2 years has been playing busted but showed great courage and skill. We at last have a quality Halfback and Jack is a Rep player at 5/8. Our pack has some of the best players in the NRL in it and we have even more quality to push to get their spots back next year. We lose our best outside back to the Dogs next year. There are youngsters coming through in Timoko and HSS who will push to be selected next year. I thought Rapa did his best when picked at center, but imo he is a winger filling in at center and under pressure was found wanting tonight. I would have him back on the right wing next season. Semi will be the left winger imo. He has all the ingredients to be a good winger he simply lacks a bit of experience under FG pressure. Stick with him and he will get that experience. I don't think Sticky will move JC so he will be left center for next year and a goal scoring strike weapon. Right center will be Timoko for mine. He is aggressive and tough with a lot of experience in the three quarter line. If Seb Kris is ok, I reckon he will push him for the spot. Great defender and has a good jump for attacking bombs. I reckon we'll be back up there in 2021.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

I just listened to Fatty Vautin's comment on nine after the second try "and Canberra haven't turned up, they're being cut to ribbons".

Can't argue with that comment really; after 20 minutes we seemed to have turned up but by then it was far too late. Masterful coaching from Bellamy, targeting every weakness we had and with a combination of luck we were done and dusted after 14 minutes.

Whitehead, Paps and Jack were all missing due to the kamikaze defense tactics.

Not good enough from the start.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

RedRaider wrote: October 16, 2020, 11:13 pm Sticky said he was very disappointed in the way we played. He gave credit to the Storm and Bellamy and Smith. He was verging on emotional so he brought an end to the presser. Nothing much more to say really.
We had very little ball in the first quarter of the match, but the defence just didn't show up. The gang tackle which drove the Storm back into their in goal to start the second half was for some reason missing in the first half. They produced this effort after playing 40 minutes of football with 24 points put on against us. Where was that to start the game and really, where has it been most of this season.

I have enjoyed the Raiders season, given the quality and quantity of Raider players unavailable. We made a Preliminary Final with a quality spine player unavailable for most of the season. Our fullback of 2 years has been playing busted but showed great courage and skill. We at last have a quality Halfback and Jack is a Rep player at 5/8. Our pack has some of the best players in the NRL in it and we have even more quality to push to get their spots back next year. We lose our best outside back to the Dogs next year. There are youngsters coming through in Timoko and HSS who will push to be selected next year. I thought Rapa did his best when picked at center, but imo he is a winger filling in at center and under pressure was found wanting tonight. I would have him back on the right wing next season. Semi will be the left winger imo. He has all the ingredients to be a good winger he simply lacks a bit of experience under FG pressure. Stick with him and he will get that experience. I don't think Sticky will move JC so he will be left center for next year and a goal scoring strike weapon. Right center will be Timoko for mine. He is aggressive and tough with a lot of experience in the three quarter line. If Seb Kris is ok, I reckon he will push him for the spot. Great defender and has a good jump for attacking bombs. I reckon we'll be back up there in 2021.
Who should our starting centres be next year?
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Croker and Scott
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Croker and Timoko as I read it from red raider - but what of Scott?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Scott will be better with a proper preseason if he can keep himself out of trouble now he's out of the bubble

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Smurfette wrote: October 16, 2020, 10:52 pm A pretty devastating way to end the season. Disappointing that we were never in it. Thoroughly outplayed in that first 15 minutes and I guess that’s why the week off is so important.

I would’ve said this even if we’d won, but the organisation/presentation of the match by the NRL was well down on previous finals. I understand Covid probably has some impact, and being a neutral venue didn’t help, but not facilitating the Viking clap for the biggest crowd of the season thus far was a huge disappointment.
It would not surprise me in the slightest if the Storm blocked it, given it was their home final. I’d bet on it, actually. And sadly, the fact half of the crowd was locked out as the game kicked off wouldn’t have helped it either.

I’m not blaming the Storm for blocking a Viking Clap, if indeed they did. Either incompetence from the NRL or lack of courage from the NRL. You can take your pick. Has to be one or the other.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

greeneyed wrote: October 17, 2020, 12:09 am
Smurfette wrote: October 16, 2020, 10:52 pm A pretty devastating way to end the season. Disappointing that we were never in it. Thoroughly outplayed in that first 15 minutes and I guess that’s why the week off is so important.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if the Storm blocked it, given it was their home final. I’d bet on it, actually. And sadly, the fact half of the crowd was locked out as the game kicked off wouldn’t have helped it either.

I’m not blaming the Storm for blocking a Viking Clap, if indeed they did. Either incompetence from the NRL or lack of courage from the NRL. You can take your pick. Has to be one or the other.
Whats this?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Begbie wrote: October 17, 2020, 12:12 am

Whats this?
A ticketing melt down saw this at the gates at kick off.

@TheGHRaiders on Instagram

#NRLStormRaiders HUGE numbers of people stranded outside Lang Park. Ticketek systems have crashed. #NRL #WeAreRaiders Photos care of @a_nomadic_engineer
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Begbie wrote: October 17, 2020, 12:12 am

Whats this?
Ticketek’s system went down and about 20,000 were still waiting to get inside the stadium at kick off. So they just threw the gates open and let everyone in without scanning tickets. Have seen on Twitter some people who still weren’t in until about the 30 minute mark. And then once everyone was in, it was an absolute cluster. Covid safe plan was thrown out the window and people were sitting wherever they wanted. AFL final in Adelaide also reportedly affected.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Guys, we lost against a better team given the circumstances.
Tactical outplayed big time and we didnt start playing until the second half.

Better team won. Good luck to Storm for next week.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

That’s my suspicion too (about the storm blocking it). But we’ve always been told the clubs don’t host these games, the NRL does, so indeed it was very ordinary from the NRL.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I’m sitting in the platform at Roma street waiting for the last train home after what can only be described as an ambush.

Unfortunately I was late to the ground and the only early highlight was seeing Todd Carney here to cheer the green machine on. After that it was chaos with so many stranded outside I finally made it in and ran to my seat. I heard the cheer of the crowd and broke through the tunnel to see the men in purple celebrating.

From then on in I concentrated on taking advantage of a kid free night and sinking the lefty of amber ales.

We were flat and simply not up to it, I’m happy with the season and see plenty of positives going into 2021 but right now I can see a pretty sore head on my immediate future. Bring on Sunday because tomorrow is going to suck!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

benda wrote: October 17, 2020, 12:22 am Guys, we lost against a better team given the circumstances.
Tactical outplayed big time and we didnt start playing until the second half.

Better team won. Good luck to Storm for next week.
Definitely no argument here! Yep, on Storm no matter they play.
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Hard game to take, and they spotted our weaknesses ( backline ) early in the piece and spread it accordingly with ease.
It’s a **** huge shame we gave them the start we did. IM **** gutted with the result. We needed to start better ( stating the obvious) and spend a bit in the backline.
scooter
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by scooter »

I missed the first 25 min of the match due to my own sporting commitment, and was shocked to see a 24-0 scoreline when I finally got to watch the game. With the disappointment of falling one game short of the GF still so fresh, I just can't bring myself
to watch the start that I missed to find out what the hell happened. But from what I could gather, we lacked energy and intensity, had no possession, and was completely outplayed and outcoached. Perhaps it was blessing in disguise that I didn't get to see it.

Was incredibly annoyed that Rapana and Bateman didn't even look to pass when they clearly should have. They both have the tendency to opt for the more spectacular or individualistic plays. When those plays come off, they are hailed as the x-factors, but when they don't, they come across as extremely selfish plays. I'm a bit confused with Rapana... this is the 2nd week in a row where instead of just taking off when he got in the clear like he usually does in the past, he passed the ball quite prematurely, as if he felt he can't run or didn't think he had the pace.
Having said, I absolutely love and enjoyed watching Bateman play. I don't think we can underestimate the tenacity and competitive edge that he has brought to our team. We are going to miss his presence on the field a lot more than we think. watching his emotional post-match interview brought tears to my eyes. It is unfortunate that his contract negotiation turn sour and backfired, but this is exactly the kind of passion you want from your players.

It still feels a bit surreal realising that this will be the last time we see Bateman and Cotric in green, at least for now.
scooter
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by scooter »

Smurfette wrote: October 17, 2020, 12:24 am

That’s my suspicion too (about the storm blocking it). But we’ve always been told the clubs don’t host these games, the NRL does, so indeed it was very ordinary from the NRL.
Yeah, I was under the impression that the it is the NRL that runs the finals matches... and this is why we had to put up with some awful music at finals mathces and endure opposition team songs even at our own home ground. Very poor form from the NRL if it was their call to block it or too gutless to push back at Storm's request to block it. Very odd decision from a marketing perspective given how iconic the Viking Clap has become.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Ok. 1st post since the loss..

Very disappointed with that. I could beat to death what obviously has been talked about since fulltime but I won't.(I haven't read any of it)

- Croker is out of form, his defence is terrible. If Stick is to keep loyal with our skip going forward he needs a lot of work put into him..tackle bags all summer. I love the guy, he's given us 200-250pts a year. He's so valuable to the side but he's 31 next year. Terrible efforts on Manu last week and SV last night.

Some very big decisions need to to made on our back 5.

- Rapana is a winger. I understand our current circumstances. Injuries, young rookies etc. Rapana has lost his way. Let's get him back on the wing and focus the entire off season into getting Timoko or HSS bigger and stronger. I personally like HSS but happy for both guys to push each other hard.

It's too early to call but..1. CNK 2. Simo/ Semi 3. Croker 4. HSS/Timoko 5. Rapana. And there's CScott as well.

- Cotric is a fantastic player. Big and strong. Lots of important metres when needed. His attempt to bat the ball dead last night had me choking on my Tooheys. Another terrible effort..embarrassing. Thanks Nick, enjoy your time in Sydney. We may see you again one day. Still only 22..Wow..

Cheers to JBateman as well. You put a smile on our faces. Sad to see you go. I don't think he'll be back.

Anyway that's it for a very different season. 2020 can FRO for obvious reasons. It's been tough and hey once again we made a prelim..you've got to be happy with that. Now we sit through a long off season. Avoid off field scandal and get ready for March.

To the club..keep working hard and thanks.

And to my friend Boney..it was great to catch up last night mate. Your always welcome at my pad.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

moto748 wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:49 pm JB never gives less than 100% on the pitch, I think that's obvious, he could barely speak after the game (mind you, I can hardly understand his Yorkshire accent myself, so i don't know how you guys manage! :lol: ).

Talking about Brandy Alexander (and really, as an outsider, I don't see much bias in him, although most of you guys seem to think differently. it's nothing compared to the Roosters and Brisbane fanzine of a lot of the pundits) reminded me; I saw him play once. At Anfield in 1991, Wigan hammered Penrith. Alexander threw a pass Shaun Edwards intercepted and went the length (nearly).
100% with you on this. Don't rate him as a commentator but I really don't see the bias everyone else seems to.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

That was complete and utter garbage.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Im with botman on the bateman thing.
This place is woke.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

As a fan I was really hurting after that loss last night especially how we played after the first 20 minutes.

What got under my skin most though was after the full-time whistle blew and all the Raiders players were laughing and joking around.

They obviously didn’t care about the disgraceful performance they put on in a qualifying final. Sticky talks about what’s under the jersey and it showed tonight nothing is there.

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Im happy for the storm to advance their virus like club in this the year of covid... have a rest lads, see some family and friends and find some leg speed in the offseason.
This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think this game was lost 6 or so weeks ago, whenever it was that Timoko was named and Sticky ultimately replaced him with Valemei. From what they had both shown against first graders I had Timoko ahead on readiness. Being a centre meant that bringing him in would mean changing only the one spot. Leaving the established attacking and defensive combo of Croker and Cotric in tact and Rapana in his natural wing spot. Reshuffling for Valemei weakened both edges.

The second problem was the dour game plan. It was an excellent mid season adjustment that gave the team what was needed to strangle sub-par teams. But has consistently looked insufficient against the best teams. Not easy to do, but I think the plan needed more adjustment to beat the best teams in finals. Having said this, I think this paled in insignificance due to the backs issues since the game was over before the attacking tactics became an issue.

I was expecting that result last week actually. The team really played outstanding and surprised me knocking off the Roosters. I think they really put everything on the line last week for vengeance and it came off, and in doing so took a lot out of the tank. I know how stressful that game was to watch last week. Can’t imagine what it was like to play.

Overall the team has done really well this year. It’s been incredibly tough and they won a lot of games. We can only hope they can be as successful next year and maybe it’ll be our turn to knock off Storm in a prelim.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

gangrenous wrote:I think this game was lost 6 or so weeks ago, whenever it was that Timoko was named and Sticky ultimately replaced him with Valemei. From what they had both shown against first graders I had Timoko ahead on readiness. Being a centre meant that bringing him in would mean changing only the one spot. Leaving the established attacking and defensive combo of Croker and Cotric in tact and Rapana in his natural wing spot. Reshuffling for Valemei weakened both edges.

The second problem was the dour game plan. It was an excellent mid season adjustment that gave the team what was needed to strangle sub-par teams. But has consistently looked insufficient against the best teams. Not easy to do, but I think the plan needed more adjustment to beat the best teams in finals. Having said this, I think this paled in insignificance due to the backs issues since the game was over before the attacking tactics became an issue.

I was expecting that result last week actually. The team really played outstanding and surprised me knocking off the Roosters. I think they really put everything on the line last week for vengeance and it came off, and in doing so took a lot out of the tank. I know how stressful that game was to watch last week. Can’t imagine what it was like to play.

Overall the team has done really well this year. It’s been incredibly tough and they won a lot of games. We can only hope they can be as successful next year and maybe it’ll be our turn to knock off Storm in a prelim.
Yeah I agree with the 6 weeks thing. Not sure why Timoko was not picked as he was more ready.

These are the reasons why Ricky can’t take the next step with the team.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Unfortanately i think the game has passed Mr Croker head gear and all... he does not have the raw power, size or strength of the new brigade, could have hung around forever if it was the early 80S mid 90S though.
This place is woke.