Storm 13+
20%

Total votes: 10

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: 2020 Finals Week 3 V Storm: Game Day

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

afgtnk wrote: October 16, 2020, 8:59 pm Also getting that hit of sadness knowing Nick won't be in our jersey anymore. It **** hurts compared to a Bateman, or anyone else we've brought in.
I'm pretty meh on Cotric. I can't remember a prime Origin player leaving a top 4 team for a spoon contender unless they were pushed out or had won a comp. Really weak move by him on a professional level.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Very disappointed.

But I really thought CHN, Lui and Soliola were great off the bench. They added a lot of energy and stopped the rot.

George Williams probably the only back who was near his best.
Lordo
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Lordo »

Stick sulking in the sheds while everyone including Bellamy and the coaching staff were out shaking hands wasn't a good sign.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Green Taipan wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:01 pm On this year's performance you have to be joking! He clocked off this year when he decided to go back to ole Blighty. That trip in the Cronuila game summed it up.
Cool. Im not willing or able to go on this journey with you
Best of luck to you.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

gergreg wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:00 pm I thought we were out coached tonight. Looked like Tapine came on after halftime along with Starling. Papa looked very flat and maybe should have started on the bench. Havili was good early but probably needed a spell a bit earlier. We continued to bash it up through the middle too much and no offloads until the game was gone. Heads not in the game, and blown off the park in the first 15.

Storm offside and hands on the ball, often, to slow it down. And they attacked Rapanas edge very effectively.

But still, probably over-achieved after Hodgo going down. It's nice to be in the mix in back-to-back seasons and hopefully we're thereabouts again next year.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
We'll only be competitive next year if we sort the outside backs.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

I wouldn't be betting the farm on Ryan James. And how long has he been out? CHN was good.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Botman wrote:I don’t give a **** what anyone says
John Bateman has been a treat to watch play for this footy team and I’ll miss him
This team will miss him

Nothing but love for JB
Would love to see him back in green in a couple of years time.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Azza wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:07 pm
gergreg wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:00 pm I thought we were out coached tonight. Looked like Tapine came on after halftime along with Starling. Papa looked very flat and maybe should have started on the bench. Havili was good early but probably needed a spell a bit earlier. We continued to bash it up through the middle too much and no offloads until the game was gone. Heads not in the game, and blown off the park in the first 15.

Storm offside and hands on the ball, often, to slow it down. And they attacked Rapanas edge very effectively.

But still, probably over-achieved after Hodgo going down. It's nice to be in the mix in back-to-back seasons and hopefully we're thereabouts again next year.

This.

There isn't anyone in our backline next season that a rival club would be worried about.

It's a far cry from Cotric, Raider Leilua, 2014-2019 Rapana and 2019 Croker.

I really really hope I'm proven wrong :(
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

John Bateman just made me cry.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Give staggs a million $
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Sid wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:09 pm
Botman wrote:I don’t give a **** what anyone says
John Bateman has been a treat to watch play for this footy team and I’ll miss him
This team will miss him

Nothing but love for JB
Would love to see him back in green in a couple of years time.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Fairly likely I reckon.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Ricky’s biggest challenge next season will be picking a team on form and not reputation.

If he succeeds with this challenge, there is every chance we win the competition next season, but also say goodbye to a few of our staunch first grade regulars...
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Outclassed tonight. Last week was our gf.
Seriously though, this season has been a success.
When Hodgo went down followed by just about everyone else, realistically it was gonna require a Herculean effort to get back up, change the way we play and make the 8.
We did that and much more. Players were blooded, players were discovered and we got a glimpse of how we can evolve into an ongoing genuine chance.
Tonight we got flamed early and never recovered.
Raps exposed as not a centre; no breaking news there but a decent fill in type centre won’t win comps.
JB has been epic for us especially last year but this year didn’t have the same impact.
Valemi will have a future but again he was full in with an upside.
Toots looked average the last two weeks. Having a rookie fill in outside hasn’t helped but you have to think next year will be an important year for him.
Gwilly with a year of nrl under his belt will be a genuine star. Looked at ease this year and will only get better and more confident.
Smell whilst being epic and consistent looked tired last few weeks. Needs a rest and refresh.
The drop off when paps and taps sub is noticeable. An area to work on next season with fresh players and new players and something we need to nail down consistently so that our pack goes from really good to absolute merciless conquerors.
I’m disappointed tonight but I think it all caught up to us and we were out of gas after a long draining season.
Overall a lot to be proud of this season. Prelim final is a good achievement and especially for us given our injuries.
Penrith Storm GF for mine. I hope the storm win it. I will enjoy gus and Brandy’s heartbreak as much as they enjoyed ours last year !
2021 awaits
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Get BJ back nice and fit..
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Botman wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:06 pm
Green Taipan wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:01 pm On this year's performance you have to be joking! He clocked off this year when he decided to go back to ole Blighty. That trip in the Cronuila game summed it up.
Best of luck to you.
You do realise he murdered a certain try through hubris!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Don't want to over analyse the game. We'd simply run out of steam. Tha first 20 min was light years from the team that's taken us to a preliminary final.

I know there will be a lot of negativity in the air right now but I'm really looking forward to next year. Hodgo back, Williams with a year of NRL under his belt and Wighton taking his play at 5/8 to a new level. Getting some of our young forwards back to support Tapine and Paps. I can see us improving a lot on this year and really challenging for a title.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

We were out coached. Simple as that!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Green Taipan wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:17 pm We were out coached. Simple as that!
Wish it was that simple
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Sorry, but If Valemei is the answer to our backline problems, then your asking the wrong questions...
At best he’ll strengthen the Mounties bench...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Raider47 wrote:
Azza wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:07 pm

This.

There isn't anyone in our backline next season that a rival club would be worried about.

It's a far cry from Cotric, Raider Leilua, 2014-2019 Rapana and 2019 Croker.

I really really hope I'm proven wrong :(
It's pretty clear Ricky has loaded up the forward pack and has a boring gameplan with keeping it tight and rolling through the middle. I think it will get us a place in the 8 but not a contender unless a young fella or 2 or 3 has a breakout year. Croker looks tired and if he continues to play - which he will - I think his minutes need to be managed. He usually starts the seasons well but fades.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

afgtnk wrote: October 16, 2020, 8:19 pm I reckon Jarrod Croker hasn't made a post contact metre since around 2016

I reckon you haven't gone a game without having snide pathetic remarks about him
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Northern Raider wrote:Don't want to over analyse the game. We'd simply run out of steam. Tha first 20 min was light years from the team that's taken us to a preliminary final.

I know there will be a lot of negativity in the air right now but I'm really looking forward to next year. Hodgo back, Williams with a year of NRL under his belt and Wighton taking his play at 5/8 to a new level. Getting some of our young forwards back to support Tapine and Paps. I can see us improving a lot on this year and really challenging for a title.
Agreed there is plenty of upside just an outside back short at the moment but that can easily change in the off season
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

That hurts. Didn't expect us to get rolled tonight, but I guess no fan ever does.

We were really brave this season, but if we're honest were always a half-length off the pace. It wasn't pretty to see it laid bare on the big stage though. All the weaknesses we knew existed in this squad were always unlikely to survive a fresh Melbourne team and a fortnight of planning from Bellamy.

Sad to see JB and Nick move on. Both have been a big part of the best Raiders team for the last 2 decades and are going to be sorely missed.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

There are 16 teams, we came third or fourth. Its so hard to think a loss unless you win. But we need a win - next year or 2022.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Damoni wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:20 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Don't want to over analyse the game. We'd simply run out of steam. Tha first 20 min was light years from the team that's taken us to a preliminary final.

Agreed there is plenty of upside just an outside back short at the moment but that can easily change in the off season
Simo back and some talented youngsters on the roster who had a taste this year. Happy with where we're at.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Old School Green wrote:Outclassed tonight. Last week was our gf.
When Hodgo went down followed by just about everyone else, realistically it was gonna require a Herculean effort to get back up, change the way we play and make the 8.
We did that and much more. Players were blooded, players were discovered and we got a glimpse of how we can evolve into an ongoing genuine chance.
Raps exposed as not a centre; no breaking news there but a decent fill in type centre won’t win comps.
JB has been epic for us especially last year but this year didn’t have the same impact.
Toots looked average the last two weeks. Having a rookie fill in outside hasn’t helped but you have to think next year will be an important year for him.
Gwilly with a year of nrl under his belt will be a genuine star. Looked at ease this year and will only get better and more confident.
Smell whilst being epic and consistent looked tired last few weeks. Needs a rest and refresh.
The drop off when paps and taps sub is noticeable. An area to work on next season with fresh players and new players and something we need to nail down consistently so that our pack goes from really good to absolute merciless conquerors.
I’m disappointed tonight but I think it all caught up to us and we were out of gas after a long draining season.
Overall a lot to be proud of this season. Prelim final is a good achievement and especially for us given our injuries.
Penrith Storm GF for mine. I hope the storm win it. I will enjoy gus and Brandy’s heartbreak as much as they enjoyed ours last year !
2021 awaits
I agree with most of what you say except when you comment about the big drop off when Papa and Taps are replaced. Our bench forwards have been good this year and saved us many times.

No team without access to third party deals can invest in a second set of Papa and Tapine level players.

I think we need a top line outside back.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

GreenMachine wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:18 pm Sorry, but If Valemei is the answer to our backline problems, then your asking the wrong questions...
The spotlight is now on our outside backs. Hard decisions need making.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Begbie wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:22 pm
GreenMachine wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:18 pm Sorry, but If Valemei is the answer to our backline problems, then your asking the wrong questions...
The spotlight is now on our outside backs. Hard decisions need making.
And not necessarily Valemei
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Green Taipan wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:16 pm
Best of luck to you.
I realise virtually every player on the field tonight made a vital mistake. The game was lost long before that.
And everyone hates his guts and i dont give the faintest **** about the precious feelings of fans angry abput him trying to maximise his income. And yes, it wasnt handled perfectly off the park, but the man gave his all for his club. Body and soul. If you cant see and apprecaiate that, then best of luck to you.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I've got no issue with Johnny Bateman heading home. I love the guy. But he was not the same player for us this year that he was last year. Not even close.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

BJ wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:22 pm
Old School Green wrote:Outclassed tonight. Last week was our gf.
2021 awaits
I agree with most of what you say except when you comment about the big drop off when Papa and Taps are replaced. Our bench forwards have been good this year and saved us many times.

No team without access to third party deals can invest in a second set of Papa and Tapine level players.

I think we need a top line outside back.
I agree. Strike centre and some more genuine pace maybe?
But a fit and angry Ryan James; a more mature yet still hard Red Horse; an off-season to work on combos for CHN; Sia to keep them all honest....I feel we may have less of those 10-15 min intensity drop offs and be murderously relentless
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
Bovrick
Ken Nagas

Post by Bovrick »

Botman wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:26 pm
Green Taipan wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:16 pm
Best of luck to you.
I realise virtually every player on the field tonight made a vital mistake. The game was lost long before that.
And everyone hates his guts and i dont give the faintest **** about the precious feelings of fans angry abput him trying to maximise his income. And yes, it wasnt handled perfectly off the park, but the man gave his all for his club. Body and soul. If you cant see and apprecaiate that, then best of luck to you.
It wasn't even a certain try bombed, the simple pass to Rapana would've put him with JAC in his face. Bateman had to stop Olam's slide and get JAC interested with at least some time on the ball, but got suprised from behind by Munster. Just great cover d by the Storm.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Wonder if that first 20mins would have been different if these guys that have been in a bubble for the past six months would have been allowed to spend the night in that damn state...

Anyway, an overachievement of a year, considering. Outside backs need some fixing, I know he's only young, but no team is winning a GF with Semi Valemei in the run-on side... at this stage of his career, at least. Let's see what the future holds.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Dr Zaius wrote: October 16, 2020, 9:33 pm I've got no issue with Johnny Bateman heading home. I love the guy. But he was not the same player for us this year that he was last year. Not even close.
Unarguable.
Love what he brings but he didn’t bring it to a level he did last year. Nowhere near.
Combo of injury; fitness; contract garbage; one eye on getting home.
Solid but far, far from spectacular this year.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

afgtnk wrote: October 16, 2020, 8:49 pm
Johno wrote: October 16, 2020, 8:47 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 16, 2020, 7:03 pm They're targeting us exactly where we've got little - the outside backs. Smart
Never fails...... well done
You, out of everyone, need to shut the **** up.

Biggest game of the year and the only thing you do is to take snipes at posters. Pathetic, spineless ****.
Your insults and cheap shots at player and various people are spineless, you are an imposter