5%

Total votes: 19

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: 2020 Finals Week 3 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by cat »

Its 1pm and only 1 game last night

Reckon we can safely say there are no charges to worry about after last nights game :)
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are officially no charges from last night: https://twitter.com/Super_Couch/status/ ... 0174759941
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Crusader wrote: October 10, 2020, 11:07 am Rapana needs to get rid of the niggle attitude, yes it gets his opposite off their game, but so does he

what a feeling right now, melbourne will be a massive test, assuming we get past them, out of the 3 teams (Souths, Parra, Panthers) I would rather not play Souths, I just think panthers havnt had a real test, their closest test was against Roosters last week which they almost lost, Parra on the other hand are being tested but arnt handling it lately, souths are momentum kings.
On the balance of things, I can get why Jordy is so fiery. He's always been a bit of a lunatic. But the rest of our backline are all "nice guys"- not a stirrer or roughneck amongst them. Being the most experienced and oldest (Toots has experience too, but a gentler kind of guy) he seems to be making his prescence felt out there.

Earlier games I think he was very frustrated at being a bit off the pace from physically being able to do what he wanted/used to.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders appetite even bigger than 2019 according to Josh Papalii

Raiders enforcer Josh Papalii has revealed his side is even hungrier than 12 months ago, after the Green Machine's quest for back-to-back grand finals gathered further steam in Friday's win over the Sydney Roosters.

"We're less experienced [than last year] but we've just got younger boys who are hungrier," Papalii said. "Younger squads sometimes they're the best, they're hungry, and younger boys just love playing footy.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Queensland border open to ACT Canberra Raiders fans for Preliminary Final... but not if you’ve been in NSW since October 2

Queensland's COVID-19 border policies mean Canberra-based Raiders fans can fly up for the Green Machine's preliminary final against the Melbourne Storm at Suncorp Stadium on Friday.

But anyone living in Queanbeyan - or who has even been to Queanbeyan since October 2 - can't go without doing 14 days' quarantine.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad produces best NRL game to steer Canberra into preliminary final against Melbourne Storm

With 15 minutes left on Friday night, the Raiders were spent and needed a hero. Enter Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, who collared Morris into touch, saving a try and the match.

"He obviously won us the game there tonight with a few try savers, they're the efforts that no one sees outside of our little group," Josh Papalii said.

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

This is a really tough challenge. On the back of lasts night game to have to travel to Queensland to play the Storm is a hard ask.

Our energy has looked a bit low in some of the games we have travelled for and we will need it against a team fresh off a week off.

I hope we didn’t play our grand final last night and have enough in the tank for 2 more games. If we can find a way to beat the storm I doubt anything will stand in our way the following week though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

pickles wrote: October 10, 2020, 4:17 pm This is a really tough challenge. On the back of lasts night game to have to travel to Queensland to play the Storm is a hard ask.

Our energy has looked a bit low in some of the games we have travelled for and we will need it against a team fresh off a week off.

I hope we didn’t play our grand final last night and have enough in the tank for 2 more games. If we can find a way to beat the storm I doubt anything will stand in our way the following week though.
I think this team is building. Tough game physically and mentally and emotionally. But they can do it. They can beat any of the remaining teams, IMO. They might not do it on the day, but they can do it, and we should be confident that they can.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Being underdogs/written off/non favourites helps us.

Bellamy knows he has his hands full.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Seriously though how do you fit horse, guler and Sutton in the team next year, no one deserves their spot taken on current form.
How good is our depth! one will come in for Bateman.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Reggies will be strong.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
PJC01
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mullins

Post by PJC01 »

My team made me wat my words!
To win it all we have to beat the best we play like we did against the Roosters,we can stop any of the remaining storm will be the toughest challenge.
Their experience In big games we get them
No doubt we get the lot!
Let’s do this so I can die happy
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Storm by a margin.
This place is woke.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Whatever the result next weekend I'll be stoked with our performance in 2020. Making the preliminary final showed that last year was no fluke. We also had to deal with the toughest travel schedule of any team in the comp. Also lost our primary playmaker in Hodgo. To achieve what they have is a fantastic effort.

All that said I'd love to see us finish Cam Smith's career next Friday and make another GF. :D
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

jimmy82 wrote: October 10, 2020, 4:28 pm Seriously though how do you fit horse, guler and Sutton in the team next year, no one deserves their spot taken on current form.
How good is our depth! one will come in for Bateman.
I think CHN will go to Batemans edge. Lets say Papa, Hodgo, Lui, Tapine, Young are certainties for the 17 somewhere. Sia, Starling also very likely to be selected.

Leaves Guler, Sutton, Havilii, Hors, James all potentially missing out, all battling for one single spot left in the 17.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Northern Raider wrote: October 10, 2020, 5:52 pm Whatever the result next weekend I'll be stoked with our performance in 2020. Making the preliminary final showed that last year was no fluke. We also had to deal with the toughest travel schedule of any team in the comp. Also lost our primary playmaker in Hodgo. To achieve what they have is a fantastic effort.

All that said I'd love to see us finish Cam Smith's career next Friday and make another GF. :D
While I hear what you're saying, after the agony of '16 and '19 I'm done with finishing close but no cigar. I want us to get to the gf and win it. For some reason I'm more confident than last year. It's kinda like we've been playing a gear below till this time of year arrived
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: October 10, 2020, 5:52 pm Whatever the result next weekend I'll be stoked with our performance in 2020. Making the preliminary final showed that last year was no fluke. We also had to deal with the toughest travel schedule of any team in the comp. Also lost our primary playmaker in Hodgo. To achieve what they have is a fantastic effort.

I keep seeing this trotted out by the club and our fans, but wasn't this a myth that was dispelled?

I thought we were about average for the amount travelled this season
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2020, 6:30 pm

I keep seeing this trotted out by the club and our fans, but wasn't this a myth that was dispelled?

Source? Everything I have seen indicated our travel schedule was amongst the worst, particularly during that immediate period post-resumption.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Question wrote: October 10, 2020, 5:39 pm Storm by a margin.
You're a wanker.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Azza wrote: October 10, 2020, 6:32 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2020, 6:30 pm

Source? Everything I have seen indicated our travel schedule was amongst the worst, particularly during that immediate period post-resumption.
That's why I'm asking the question. It was a Fox Sports or NRL.com article from memory. Cbf trying find it
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Pretty sure it's a fair argument, having to fly / bus to Campbelltown each week for that 4-5 weeks period was not an easy ask of the team.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Not really if plenty of others have had to do it, or more. I can understand why Ricky creates that siege mentality, but not sure why fans then run with it too. Happy to be proven wrong, but I was sure we haven't had it that bad.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Who else had it that bad? Other than the Warriors? Seriously, I can't think of anyone, and I'm not one of those "everyone is against us" Raiders supporters. I have no doubt that Parramatta, for example, would not have coped anywhere near as well as we seem to have when looking back with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Could be the teams that have naturally longer travel distances than us on usual basis.

Then you've got teams like Melbourne stuck at in one place, haven't been home or played at home in months, family uprooted and with limited support network. We really haven't had it that bad.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I think we've been at a disadvantage compared to teams such as Parramatta, Penrith and most of the QLD teams in the middle part of the season with having to travel so substantially for home games - again, I can't see who else had to do that for their home games from your posts? Melbourne were even allowed to play at home and it made no sense that we weren't in comparison - their situation changed dramatically obviously and they have coped well.

So I do think we have had it pretty tough for a good portion of the season - not all of it. It's not an excuse, just recognising that the team has done very well in trying circumstances. Anyway, I know you're fond of the extended argument and I'd rather enjoy the win and watch the footy. So agree to disagree. Sorry about that. Cheerio.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:Could be the teams that have naturally longer travel distances than us on usual basis.

Then you've got teams like Melbourne stuck at in one place, haven't been home or played at home in months, family uprooted and with limited support network. We really haven't had it that bad.
Could be? Which teams were those exactly?

Melbourne had it tough being relocated no doubt. But I reckon they’d all consider that a pretty big win in the end having spent the pandemic on the Sunshine Coast instead of a serious lockdown at home.

All clubs were in a bubble and without support networks, so that’s also a fairly lame argument.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Azza wrote:we seem to have when looking back with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight.
You don’t need the hyphen this year Image
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Azza wrote: October 10, 2020, 6:57 pm I think we've been at a disadvantage compared to teams such as Parramatta, Penrith and most of the QLD teams in the middle part of the season with having to travel so substantially for home games - again, I can't see who else had to do that for their home games from your posts? Melbourne were even allowed to play at home and it made no sense that we weren't in comparison - their situation changed dramatically obviously and they have coped well.

So I do think we have had it pretty tough for a good portion of the season - not all of it. It's not an excuse, just recognising that the team has done very well in trying circumstances. Anyway, I know you're fond of the extended argument and I'd rather enjoy the win and watch the footy. So agree to disagree. Sorry about that. Cheerio.
Storm by 49 ay.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Agreed. Season over.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

gangrenous wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:07 pm
afgtnk wrote:Could be the teams that have naturally longer travel distances than us on usual basis.

Could be? Which teams were those exactly?

Melbourne had it tough being relocated no doubt. But I reckon they’d all consider that a pretty big win in the end having spent the pandemic on the Sunshine Coast instead of a serious lockdown at home.

All clubs were in a bubble and without support networks, so that’s also a fairly lame argument.
It was literally only five rounds where we couldn't play at home dude, between rounds three and seven. Five. And that was over three months ago. Sticky's making it out like we've had to go to Antarctica every week for 12 months by paddle boat, and the fans are eating it up.

Sunshine Coast or not, we don't have anywhere near the same right to complain as any team that has been relocated. Not even close.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Raiders had to travel over 3 hours game day to get to the game 12 times during the regular season

Panthers had to travel 4 times during the regular season

Anyone who thinks travelling there and back, getting home in the early hours of the morning is just as hard as the Sydney teams just doesn't get it.
Vaccinated
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I think this is just a rehash of the lame, old, time-honoured ref whinges.

Why haven't we come off best, or, why hasn't everyone else been 'dudded' like we perceive to have been.Think that pretty much nails it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

So which team/s had to travel more than the Raiders?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:27 pm I think this is just a rehash of the lame, old, time-honoured ref whinges.

Why haven't we come off best, or, why hasn't everyone else been 'dudded' like we perceive to have been.Think that pretty much nails it.
Mate either show me a team apart from the warriors who have had it tougher then the raiders or change the record

Melbourne got to play at home before relocating, then got to play 30min up the road They were also able to bring their families up to Queensland

They also have a resort, with a pool and the lesser bubble restrictions

The raiders only get to see their family that live in their house, can't visit each other, play golf etc
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Northern Raider wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:28 pm So which team/s had to travel more than the Raiders?
The simple answer? :P

No one

Even the cowboys travelled 10 times, we travelled 12
Vaccinated
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The stats on teams winning after shorter turnarounds alone are enough to prove that recovery really matters in a brutally physical sport like league.

The compounded effects of having a compromised recovery (in comparison to your opposition), repeated for an extended stretch of the competition are certainly worth considering as a factor in performance. Ricky and the fitness/medical staff didn't just rest half the team in a game where a top 4 spot was potentially realistically still up for grabs just for giggles. They knew they needed to do something- if they could- to reset the dial on some of that fatigue and reduce the edge Sydney teams had on us at that stage.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

cat wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:31 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2020, 7:27 pm I think this is just a rehash of the lame, old, time-honoured ref whinges.

Mate either show me a team apart from the warriors who have had it tougher then the raiders or change the record

Melbourne got to play at home before relocating, then got to play 30min up the road They were also able to bring their families up to Queensland

They also have a resort, with a pool and the lesser bubble restrictions

The raiders only get to see their family that live in their house, can't visit each other, play golf etc
Storm. They've been relocated for nearly months. We were affected for only five rounds. Knights couldn't play at home. Gold Coast didn't play at Robina for five weeks. And before you start with the distance travelled in total, we aren't losing that either.

Again, Sticky's got his reasons for using it as an excuse since he has an agenda to run, we don't. Measures were put in place to get the game under way safely amidst a once in a lifetime pandemic, and we were affected for five weeks more than three months ago. The excuse is Bull.
Last edited by afgtnk on October 10, 2020, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.