Roosters 13+
5%

Total votes: 19

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: 2020 Finals Week 2 V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Canberra Milk »

radicalraider wrote: October 8, 2020, 10:34 am Totally agree. I think it comes back to the level of skill in our spine. Lacking a good pass especially a cut out pass when needed. A big area that Wighton and CNK need to work on. Unfortunately I just don't think Wighton has it in him naturally which is why he doesn't do it consistently enough.. A bit like his kicking game which is also still inconsistent.
Lacking skill, or vision/smarts. Meanwhile Rabbitohs are exploiting overlaps like mathematicians recently. A 5 on 4 for them is like a 2 on 1 for anyone else, they just draw each man in turn and eventually find space on the outside
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Canberra Milk wrote: October 8, 2020, 10:51 am
radicalraider wrote: October 8, 2020, 10:34 am Totally agree. I think it comes back to the level of skill in our spine. Lacking a good pass especially a cut out pass when needed. A big area that Wighton and CNK need to work on. Unfortunately I just don't think Wighton has it in him naturally which is why he doesn't do it consistently enough.. A bit like his kicking game which is also still inconsistent.
Lacking skill, or vision/smarts. Meanwhile Rabbitohs are exploiting overlaps like mathematicians recently. A 5 on 4 for them is like a 2 on 1 for anyone else, they just draw each man in turn and eventually find space on the outside
Yes.. we are missing the natural ball playing skIlls of someone like walker or Luai.. although this side of the draw might suit us more as opposed to souths and Penrith who have a lot of prowess in attack.. But I think this competition based on the new rules and the quicker game will be won on attack more so than defense.. which doesn't favour us obviously. Our entire spine are runners other than maybe our 7 who has a good pass in him.. you might laugh but that's why we might need a benji or benji like player to give us some x-factor.. bring back Austin? LOL
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Yeah looking at that Tapine try again, despite the fact he scored, it was basically the worst possible option to take for Williams. The Sharks entire right side-side defence was practically in line with the goal posts and facing in, with vacant space out wide. Toots and Valemi unmarked.

Williams had a stack of higher % options. Williams could have hit Wighton out the back, who could have then either hit Croker or cut out to Valemi. Williams could have thrown a cut out to Croker or Valemi. Williams could have kicked for Croker or Valemi (chip or grubber, there was no-one out there).

The option he took of hitting Tapine with 5 Sharks players in front of him was a dumb play. Even the commentator said "They're stripped out on this left-hand side (actually right hand-side) if they can get the ball there!"
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: October 7, 2020, 11:44 am
Pete Cash wrote:If Cronk had not hit Papalii off the ball Bateman probably puts Papalii in for a try in the gf

If I recall correctly not like I'll ever watch that game again lol
watched that incident a few times, if papa catches it first cronk wasn't going to be in front enough to drag him down. That split second would have been enough to put papa through

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Paps scores those tries when he has half the opposition forward pack in front of him. No way he gets stopped by a Cronk behind him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Finchy wrote:
BJ wrote: October 8, 2020, 8:35 am Williams old man needs to learn NOT to do a Fensom or Rapana and publicly promote via the media the approach you plan to take to bypass the authorities.
I must have missed when they did that. What did they say?
Fensom said in the media he had a new hold down technique to slow the play the ball down. Suddenly the refs started pinging him for holding down and added his move to their tip sheet.

Rapana said he was off to Japanese rugby for a few months and would then rejoin the Raiders mid season. Instead of keeping it quiet until after his Japanese season ended.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

My biggest fear is us: Ricky Stuart

The Sydney Roosters have a team filled with superstars. Seven of their starting 13 were voted the best players in their position by their peers in the 2020 players's poll - including almost the entire back line. James Tedesco, Luke Keary, Boyd Cordner. The list goes on.

The task of combatting those stars would be enough to keep most coaches awake at night. Not Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart.

"What keeps me up is making sure we can get to our best," Stuart said today, as his side wrapped up their final preparations for tomorrow night's finals clash with the Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

"It's no disrespect to anybody. My biggest fear is us."

"If we turn up and play our best game of football we're going to be in the fight. If we don't turn up and have individuals playing their best game of footy, we won't win. We won't win any game, let alone a final."

"We all have to play well. Everybody has got to lift their contribution."

"It's semi final football and everybody has to play well. You can't afford to have anybody off their games and if you do you don't win."

"The fortunate thing we've got is, we have got consistency in our game. Even when we feel as though we haven't played to the standard we're happy with, we've won games this year. That's a positive."

"And having a number of guys there - not relying on just the one - that can have that type of performance that can get you over the line."

"Jack [Wighton] showed it this year. A number of our middles have shown it this year. George Williams has been very consistent. You call upon those types of efforts."

The Raiders have had to deal with a six day turnaround, while the Roosters have had seven. But Stuart isn't concerned about that.

"We've had a short week and it's probably come at a good time," he said.

"There's a lot of excitement. The boys, at this stage of the year, are enjoying the playing more so than the training. So the short week's come at a pretty good time."

"This week it's just the one session, day off, into our captain's run."

"We're fortunate that we're not looking for our game. We're more so just making sure that we getting to the sideline as fresh mentally and physically as we can."

The Raiders have had to deal with a horror injury toll in 2020, with their forward pack decimated by the middle of the season. They still have Josh Hodgson, Corey Horsburgh and Emre Guler on the sideline. Ryan Sutton has joined them, after suffering an MCL injury in the final game of the regular season. The Raiders also have outside backs Curtis Scott and Bailey Simonsson out for the season.

But again, Stuart is looking on the bright side.

"The little bit of luck we've had, is that we haven't had too many more middles injured, after a number of guys went down early in the season," he said.

Unfortunately for Ryan Sutton he was the last casualty."

"It's probably really helped us get to the position on the table that we did, by having that consistency of the middles in the back half of the season where they've played 10, 12 games in a row."

The Raiders have developed a renewed rivalry with the Roosters, after the teams met last year in one of the most controversial Grand Finals we have seen. There have been two re-matches of the 2019 decider so far this year - with the Raiders winning in Sydney and the Roosters winning in Canberra.

Stuart says it is a "healthy" rivalry.

"I feel as though it's an exciting game whenever we play them," Stuart said.

"Both teams have good ability with the football. We're both teams filled with exciting players and that's what our supporters, rugby league supporters, like watching... that attacking flair."

"I'm sure that if the weather is different in Sydney to here, we'll get that game again."

Canberra Raiders forward Joe Tapine will play his 100th game in green tomorrow night. He's been in some of the best form of his career in the back half of the season.

"It's a great milestone for a young guy that moved to Canberra and I've seen him grow, into now being married, settling down, and his football has gone with it."

"He's grown and matured, and his game has grown and matured with it."

"It'd be great for Joe to keep that consistency that he's shown over the last six or eight games," Stuart said.

"He has really built this season, his momentum has progressed very rapidly. And he has as a bloke."

"He's really maturing into a guy that others can turn to."

"Taps and Papa have probably been targetted a lot this year by the opposition middles. It'll be no different for the rest of the season. But they're tough enough and good enough to handle it."

Stuart also praised prop Sia Soliola, who re-signed with the Raiders this week for "one more year". It is likely to be a farewell season.

"We use 'leadership', we use 'leaders' too often in sport," Stuart said.

"We bring out that word and put it on top of people's heads that I don't think are worthy of it. He's a leader. I'd be happy to follow Sia's lead any day of the week."

"I've known him since he was 18, I've been involved with him at the Roosters since he was 18."

"I'm just very happy that I'll be with Sia in his journey on the back end of his football career."

"He and his family have moved into Canberra and they're a part of Canberra. What he does outside of football in the community is special."

"He's an ornament to rugby league and he's a wonderful role model for the Canberra Raiders."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart previews the clash with the Roosters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10 ... ers-match/

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says he hasn’t paid any attention to the Roosters form, rather he has focused on getting the Raiders playing to the best of their capabilities: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/08/stu ... ear-is-us/

VIDEO: Joe Tapine notches up 100 games in green: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10 ... ders-game/

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Roosters: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34281

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10 ... -roosters/

GALLERY: Captain's Run: Raiders v Roosters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10 ... -roosters/

Canberra Raiders get reward for rare NRL patience

It wasn't that long ago Ricky Stuart was having to plead with Canberra fans for patience. Now, he is rewarding them in bucketloads.

"I am not a patient person and I was asking for it because we had to do it another way here," Stuart said on Thursday. "We couldn't just go out and buy rep players, we had to produce our own and generate our own momentum.

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1372466

Canberra Raiders foward Joe Tapine hits the gym seven NRL seasons in

Canberra's Joe Tapine has a strange admission to make for an NRL forward: He has always hated the gym.

"I just hated weights ever since I was a kid," Tapine said. "I tried to avoid it. I used to go in, touch the weights, pick them up and put them back. I don't enjoy it, never have. I have always been weak in the gym so I always hated it."

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1370296

Canberra Raiders evolve to boast multiple match-winners

It once was Josh Papalii who would put the Green Machine on his back and carry them to victory. But the Canberra Raiders have evolved and now boast multiple weapons capable of leading them to a win.

"The fortunate thing we've got is consistency in our game - even when we feel we haven't played to the standard we're happy with we've won games this year," Ricky Stuart said. "That's a positive. And having a number of guys there that can have that performance that can get you over the line.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling's season took off at the SCG, but he hopes it doesn't end there

Tom Starling's magical ride started at the SCG, when the Raiders showed it would take a little more than a mountain of injuries to stop their 2020 charge. But the hooker hopes it doesn't end there.

"I just had to take my opportunity and step up for the team. They needed someone to step up into that role. Hopefully it doesn't end here at the SCG. It started there this year, but hopefully doesn't end there."

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii hoping for another meat pie

Josh Papalii's hoping he can recreate his Incredible Hulk-like try from his last visit to the SCG, where he put the Green Machine on his back and said, "Come with me boys".

"Hopefully, I haven't scored a meat pie for a while. It would be nice to get over the white line again," Papalii said. "We definitely know we're in for a tough one on Friday. Definitely looking forward to the challenge."

Laurie Daley tips Raiders to end Roosters' hopes of a threepeat: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237

Canberra Raiders fans ready for Roosters revenge on Friday night: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Nerves kicking in.. will rorters lose 3 in a row
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Hear from Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart ahead of tomorrow night's sudden death finals clash with the Sydney Roosters. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/sr7750BMRO4

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #NRLFinals #NRLRoostersRaiders

Nine News Sydney reports: https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1314114256128933888
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

radicalraider wrote: October 8, 2020, 4:33 pm Nerves kicking in.. will rorters lose 3 in a row
They have the losing momentum at the moment, it might just be too much for them to get up for it 100%
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Confidence is building but if Roosters play well we are unlikely to win. Their forwards destroyed us last time and they have the class and structured plays we are lacking. Don’t forget we are still decimated by injuries and missing our key playmaker Hodgson. I’m tipping Roosters win but hopefully momentum and appetite for revenge will get us across the line.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

rayden83 wrote: October 8, 2020, 6:08 pm Confidence is building but if Roosters play well we are unlikely to win. Their forwards destroyed us last time and they have the class and structured plays we are lacking. Don’t forget we are still decimated by injuries and missing our key playmaker Hodgson. I’m tipping Roosters win but hopefully momentum and appetite for revenge will get us across the line.
Based on last week's performance their form is better.. my gut feel is they'll rush out to an early lead and we'll surge in the 2nd half and just fall short by a try or two.. But IF we start strong that all changes
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I can see many possible outcomes for this game. Form lines are fuzzy and it's really hard to predict. Gut feel is a very tight contest and the winner will be the team with the most legs left in the last 10-15 min.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I'm starting to get nervous as ****. It'd be quite shattering if we were to bow out now.

In years like 2010 and 2012 I could accept it because I didn't truly believe we had the ability and the extra gears, but I do now so it'd be an awfully hollow feeling not to proceed.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

All week I've had no reason to think we can't get the job done.

And I've not waived..

All the planets will need to align and we'll need a superhuman, limited mistake 80min all in go.

They'll be very excited and ready to go. Whatever happens tomorrow night we all know this..

They'll fight..

It's what they do.

God bless the lot of em.
Jonalanat
Noa Nadruku

Post by Jonalanat »

Going out tomorrow nite to watch the boys go hard at it...

Should be a bumper crowd....

Hopefully we have as many raider supporters there, or more, than the Rorters...

It’s time...uncle Nick’s $$$ can only go so far before the weary legs of his team finally buckle to a raiders team that will get the best revenge for last GF...knocking out the sombrero boys once and for all
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I am confident of a tough close game.
Those cheats just seem to be more clinical.

A prelim loss to the scum is manageable. A loss to $BW and co. will really piss me off.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

If we can stop these 3 plays we'll go a long way to winning.
1. Kearys short-side raids
2. Bombs to tupou and Morris
3. Shutting down their block plays to Tedesco
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

A fast and wriggling Tedesco against our retreating slow backline is what I'm probably most fearful of. We could barely lay a finger on him last time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

UPDATED MATCH PREVIEW: Canberra Raiders omit Kai O'Donnell and Michael Oldfield from their squad to face the Sydney Roosters tomorrow night at the SCG. Latest squads, weather, odds and more: http://ow.ly/CYC350BMUwg

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #NRLFinals #NRLRoostersRaiders
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm so incredibly nervous. But I really think we can do this. Nobody thought we could do it in July either, and we were in a much worse position.

Win or lose, I am really proud of the boys. Getting this far, in a season with this many injuries...but wouldn't it be sweet if we could go all the way?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

afgtnk wrote: October 8, 2020, 6:54 pm A fast and wriggling Tedesco against our retreating slow backline is what I'm probably most fearful of. We could barely lay a finger on him last time.
Kicking the ball down his throat and giving him 20-30 free metres is not allowed either.

I'd like to see the ball out into touch and the Chooks starting from set scrums.

Keep Teddy quiet for gawd sake.
Greenmachine91
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Greenmachine91 »

Ugh I don't know about this game... Ever since we beat the Roosters, we've only played Rabbits, Panthers and Roosters again. We barely beat Rabbits and we couldn't score a try against Panthers or Roosters but everyone is saying we're going to beat Roosters? All the games we won since that Roosters game were against teams outside the 8 and sharks.

Have people forgotten that we lost to the Roosters 18-6 a month ago? What has changed? Roosters lost to the premiers by 1 last week and we struggled against sharks, Yet all the experts are writing the roosters off... it's still the Roosters! Don't mind me, I expect disappointment so I'm less disappointed. I'm nervous okay! 😭

I'm going to the game and I'll be sooooo angry if they kick us out!! I hope the Raiders surprise me! Put 61 points on em!😡
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

-PJ- wrote:
afgtnk wrote: October 8, 2020, 6:54 pm A fast and wriggling Tedesco against our retreating slow backline is what I'm probably most fearful of. We could barely lay a finger on him last time.
Kicking the ball down his throat and giving him 20-30 free metres is not allowed either.

I'd like to see the ball out into touch and the Chooks starting from set scrums.

Yes, that’d be nice.

A pinpoint bomb like Cleary produced time and time again to Tedesco last week can work.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Dusty wrote: October 8, 2020, 7:13 pm
-PJ- wrote:

Yes, that’d be nice.

A pinpoint bomb like Cleary produced time and time again to Tedesco last week can work.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Yeah pinpoint bombs into the Chooks end are great if we can have a great chase and have green smashing Teddy when he catches the ball.

I was referring to the last tackle kick when usually Jack is gaining as much ground as possible. Those kicks being swallowed by Teddy in open pasture has led to mayhem in the past.

We need to limit those opportunities..
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Yeah, Teddy running right side with the option of run or pass will certainly test Croker and Semi

I can see Raiders running on the last a fair bit rather than putting a cross field kick to Tupou or a kick in behind for Teddy to collect. Also sending it wide first before putting a kick in could be handy. Wighton's big boot will be useful for getting us out of trouble.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

And when the Chooks try to cross kick to 8ft tall DTupou I'd like to see Semi climb up on Crokers shoulders..EVERYTIME !
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Worried.
SimplyThePest
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by SimplyThePest »

Greenmachine91 wrote: October 8, 2020, 7:13 pm Ugh I don't know about this game... Ever since we beat the Roosters, we've only played Rabbits, Panthers and Roosters again. We barely beat Rabbits and we couldn't score a try against Panthers or Roosters but everyone is saying we're going to beat Roosters? All the games we won since that Roosters game were against teams outside the 8 and sharks.

Have people forgotten that we lost to the Roosters 18-6 a month ago? What has changed? Roosters lost to the premiers by 1 last week and we struggled against sharks, Yet all the experts are writing the roosters off... it's still the Roosters! Don't mind me, I expect disappointment so I'm less disappointed. I'm nervous okay! 😭

I'm going to the game and I'll be sooooo angry if they kick us out!! I hope the Raiders surprise me! Put 61 points on em!😡
Solid post, IMO. Also feel that we’ll fall short. The effort and heart will be there, just think we’ll lack the polish at key moments to get it done. I hope the boys surprise me in that regard and that the Roosters can’t find the level needed to win.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I don’t think form for either team will have an impact on this game. I think both teams will come out hard and that it will be an absolute belter if a game.

This kind of game will come down to to who wants it more and I think the raiders are hungrier. You shouldn’t need anyone to inspire you to knock out the team that beat you in the grand final last year.

I think it will be very close and really could go either way. We don’t have the structure the chooks have but we have the ability to score points when it matters and in a game like this I think that is more important. Committed defence can eat up structure but it’s taking opportunities that maters more in these games.

After years of supporting a mediocre team it is a genuine pleasure to be supporting a team who are genuine contenders and I hope we have 2 more games after this one to enjoy!
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

It is a genuine pleasure to support this team. Up the milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders halves Jack Wighton and George Williams silence the NRL doubters

There were plenty of doubters. But they soon fell silent and now they've been replaced by praise for the Canberra Raiders playmakers Jack Wighton and George Williams.

"George has stepped up and is steering the boys around well and taking on that little bit more responsibility with Hodgo gone. I feel like we've both done it and we're only going to get better as we go and as George settles in more. I'm pretty excited about our partnership growing," Jack Wighton said.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think it'll be interesting to see if Robinson can get the Roosters up for another big game. He was as animated as ever last week and the players looked very deflated after the game. It's critical that we get off to a good start.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Azza wrote: October 8, 2020, 8:50 pmWorried.
Agreed. Roosters by 69.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The tense Ricky versus Robbo feud started three years ago. This is how it happened

A feud has been brewing between two of the game’s best coaches in Trent Robinson and Ricky Sutart over the last three years. Way back in Round 12, 2017 the Raiders and Roosters faced off in the final match of a split round in May.

“They’ve been building this team. He said a couple of weeks ago that got chased because of how well they played last year, they’re finding it tough this year. He obviously thinks they’re one of the top teams, so that’s their boat. We’ll look after ours,” Robinson said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 80c391e48a