2020 Finals Week 1 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks
Canberra Stadium
Saturday 3 October, 5:40pm
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Sunny. The chance of fog in the early morning. Sunny day. Light winds becoming northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h in the middle of the day then becoming light in the evening. Chance of any rain: 0 per cent. Min 6 Max 25

The Raiders meet the Sharks for a second week in a row when they host Cronulla in Week 1 of the finals at Canberra Stadium.

Last round: 2020 Round 20. Canberra Raiders 38 - Cronulla Sharks 28. Canberra coach Ricky Stuart rested the majority of his stars from the final round of the regular season. The Rookie Raiders he selected had an average age of 23, with an average of 49 NRL games experience. There were three debutants in the team. There were four other rookies. There were five players all up who hadn't played an NRL game this season. Yet they started on fire. They were full of energy, enthusiasm and attacking brilliance. Forwards like Dunamis Lui and Sia Soliola helped lay the platform, and the backs soon took over. The Raiders scored the first try of the match - something they had not done in two months - and went on to score a total of seven.

More on Round 20: As I saw it

Team news: Canberra Raiders prop Ryan Sutton has been ruled out for the season after suffering an MCL injury in last Saturday's match against the Sharks. All nine of the Canberra players rested last weekend have been included, while Sia Soliola comes in on the bench.

Chad Townsend has served a suspension and will partner Connor Tracey in the Sharks halves. Winger Sione Katoa, centre Josh Dugan, hooker Blayke Brailey and lock Toby Rudolf come back into the starting side, while Siosifa Talakai returns on the bench. Wade Graham moves to the second row.

Late changes: On Friday, Kai O'Donnell and Michael Oldfield were omitted from the Raiders squad, leaving Sam Williams and Matt Timoko on the extended bench. The Sharks cut Braydon Trindall and Bryson Goodwin.

History: The Raiders have won 36 of 77 matches against the Cronulla Sharks, for a 47 per cent win rate. Canberra has won five of the past 10 clashes between the clubs, including the last three in a row. The Raiders lost both clashes in 2018. They suffered a 24-16 loss in the nation's capital in Round 10, and then lost the return clash at Shark Park, 28-24, in Round 19. But the Raiders turned that around in 2019. They had a hard fought 22-20 win at Canberra Stadium in Round 14 - after leading 20-8 at half time. Then in Round 24, the Raiders won 15-14 at Shark Park in golden point - with Aidan Sezer kicking three field goals. That spoiled the party for Paul Gallen's final home game for the Sharks.

2019 Round 24 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2019 Round 14 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2018 Round 19 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2018 Round 10 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

The Raiders have won 15 of 29 matches played at Canberra Stadium - but only three of the past ten. The Sharks had a six game winning streak at the venue between 2013 and 2018, before the Raiders' victory at home last year.

Form: Raiders: WWLWW
Sharks: WLWLL

The Sharks have had not beaten a top eight side this year. They have had recent wins over the Warriors (22-14) and the Cowboys (28-12), but lost to the Knights (38-10), Panthers (38-12) and Raiders (38-28) during the course of their past five games. The Raiders have only one recent loss - to the Roosters in the second Grand Final re-match (18-6). In their past five matches, they have had wins over the Bulldogs (34-20), Dragons (37-8), Warriors (26-14) and the Sharks.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.18 favourites, while the Sharks are paying $5.00. The Sharks have 13.5 points start in the line.

Stat attack: This is a battle between fifth (Raiders) and eighth (Sharks) on the ladder.

The Raiders' attacking record in 2020 has been pretty average. They sit in seventh place for most tries scored (77) - while the Sharks rank fifth in attack (85 tries). The Sharks have made more line breaks, tackle breaks, try assists and offloads than the Raiders. Half Shaun Johnson has more try assists than any player in the NRL (23). The trouble for the Sharks is, he's been ruled out for the season (achilles).

The other problem for the Sharks is their defence. The Raiders are ranked equal fourth for fewest tries conceded - after the Roosters let in 10 tries last week. However, the Sharks have the worst defence of any of the top eight sides, ranking 10th for the fewest tries conceded. Cronulla has also conceded as many points as they've scored. The Sharks rank first in the NRL for missed tackles and first for line breaks conceded. No team has a worse tackle efficiency rate playing in the finals than the Sharks.

The Raiders' defence is good, but they will need to watch their discipline. They rank second for most restarts conceded and sixth for penalties conceded. In addition, the Raiders are in the top four teams for most errors.

2020 Season record: Raiders 14 and 6 (5th, +128)
Sharks 10 and 10 (8th, 0)

Attack: Raiders 22 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked 7th on tries scored
Sharks 24 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked 5th on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 16 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked equal 4th on tries conceded
Sharks 24 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked 10th on tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 50 per cent, Sharks 50 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 78 per cent, Sharks 76 per cent

Running: Raiders 1668 running metres from 185 runs (13 dummy half runs), 167 kick return metres, 554 post contact metres per match
Sharks 1639 running metres from 183 runs (9 dummy half runs), 180 kick return metres, 491 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 31, Sharks 32 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Sharks 5 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Sharks 4 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 2, Sharks 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 9, Sharks 10 per match

Kicking: Raiders 608 kicking metres from 22 kicks per match
Sharks 506 kicking metres from 19 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 356 made, 27 missed, 14 ineffective per match, 90 per cent tackle efficiency
Sharks 322 made, 35 missed, 15 ineffective per match, 86 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1443, Sharks 1405 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 12, Sharks 11 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 5, Sharks 5 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 5, Sharks 5 per match

Set re-starts conceded: Raiders 5, Sharks 4 per match

Set re-starts awarded: Raiders 4, Sharks 5 per match

Key match-ups:

Sione Katoa and Nick Cotric Sharks winger Sione Katoa sits in equal fourth place on the top try scorer list for 2020. He has 15 tries, 16 line breaks, one try assist and 79 tackle breaks to his name. He's also averaging 140 running metres per game. Nick Cotric has not been in career best form this season, but he's still got 12 tries, up on the four he scored in 2019. Cotric ranks fourth in the NRL for tackle breaks (106), behind James Tedesco, David Nofoaluma and Kalyn Ponga. In addition, he's posted 11 line breaks, two try assists and 110 running metres per game. Cotric has the better tackle efficiency rate of the two (70 versus 66 per cent), but Cotric has more try causes (16 versus 10). Cotric's defence has improved over the course of the season, after some early season problems on the right edge. We were denied this match-up last week, with Katoa a late withdrawal. Katoa probably shades Cotric in a "skin".

George Williams and Chad Townsend George Williams has had a great first season in the NRL. He's scored four tries, while producing six line breaks, 11 offloads, 12 try assists and four line break assists. He forced a remarkable 15 line drop outs on the opposition, and averaged 234 kicking metres per match. His short kicking game has been outstanding, with many of his try assists coming from cross field kicks to the try line. He averaged 70 running metres and 21 tackles per match - while posting an 88 per cent tackle efficiency rate. In his 11 appearances, Chad Townsend has scored one try - and posted nine try assists, six line break assists, two offloads and five forced line drop outs. He's averaged 78 running metres, 174 kicking metres and 18 tackles per match. His defence is not as strong as Williams', however (80 per cent tackle efficiency). There are some good numbers there for Townsend, given the number of games he's played.

Elliott Whitehead and Briton Nikora In his last appearance, against the Warriors, Elliott Whitehead had to shift from the second row to half back - and won man of the match. He's a second rower with some serious skills. In 2020, the England representative has scored four tries and produced seven line breaks, four try assists, five line break assists and 31 tackles per game. He doesn't make a lot of metres (77 per game), but then neither does his opponent this week, Briton Nikora (75). Nikora has also scored six tries - after bagging a double against the Raiders last week. He's also notched up five line breaks, one try assist, one line break assist and 34 tackles per game. Should be a good contest.

Tom Starling and Blayke Brailey Blayke Brailey is the younger of the Brailey brothers. They both came through the Sharks' juniors, but with both being hookers, Jayden decided to head to the Knights. Blayke, 21, made his debut in 2019, and has played in every game so far this year. He's scored three tries and produced six try assists, seven line break assists and five forced line drop outs. He's also averaged 42 running metres, 29 kicking metres and 28 tackles per game. Siliva Havili and Tom Starling have done a great job in filling in for the injured Josh Hodgson in the second half of the season. Starling, 22, plays the biggest minutes at dummy half, and has really impressed. He's got four tries, five try assists and four line break assists. He's averaged 48 running metres and 37 tackles per match. Brailey was rested last week, while Tom Starling went on to win the man of the match. He scored a try and produced three try assists, three line breaks, four tackle breaks, 108 metres and 48 tackles. Those sure are some good numbers. Looking forward to this clash.

Our tip: The Raiders are warm favourites in this game - and it is a match they should win. But the Raiders can expect a tough contest and Canberra will need to have their heads in the game from the outset. The Sharks have players with plenty of finals experience and they have a good record in Canberra. We can't draw too much from last week's result, given the large number of inclusions this week for both teams. Cronulla has the better attacking record, the absence of Shaun Johnson undermines a significant part of their advantage in attack. And I believe the Raiders' defence should be too good. Raiders by 12.

What they're saying:

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: "Whatever happens, happens over the next whatever games we've got, I couldn't be more proud of this squad of players in where we've ended up in the competition. I get it. We get written off a lot. We got written off for this game. We love that in Canberra - getting written off, getting bagged and pushed around. It's what makes us tough down there."

Ricky Stuart: "I believe the reason nobody's won it outside the top four is that no one's been good enough. So if we're good enough we've got the opportunity. We'll be ready to play. If we're good enough we'll be there at the end."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Semi Valemi
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Jordan Rapana
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Sia Soliola
16. Hudson Young
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

18. Sam Williams
21. Matt Timoko

Injury/Suspension

Corey Horsburgh, Foot (Indefinite, possibly season)
Emre Guler, Ankle (Indefinite, likely season)
Ryan Sutton, Knee, MCL (Season)
Bailey Simonsson, Shoulder (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee, ACL (Season)
Curtis Scott, Leg (Season)
Andre Niko, Knee (Season)
Sebastian Kris, Extended personal leave

Cronulla Sharks

1. Will Kennedy
2. Sione Katoa
3. Josh Dugan
4. Jesse Ramien
5. Ronaldo Mulitalo
6. Connor Tracey
7. Chad Townsend
8. Braden Hamlin-Uele
9. Blayke Brailey
10. Aaron Woods
11. Briton Nikora
12. Wade Graham
13. Toby Rudolf

14. Siosifi Talakai
15. Scott Sorensen
16. Andrew Fifita
17. Jack Williams

18. Tieg Wilton
20. Mawene Hiroti

Officials

Referee: Grand Atkins
Touch judges: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski, Phil Henderson
Video referee: Jared Maxwell

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersSharks

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2020 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Finals Week 1 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

UPDATED MATCH PREVIEW: Canberra Raiders omit Kai O'Donnell and Michael Oldfield from their squad to face Cronulla Sharks. Latest teams, weather, odds and more: http://ow.ly/hHPH50BHsea

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #NRLRaidersSharks #NRLFinals
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders!!!💚💚💚
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This will be a great day.

It all starts with former Raider and Macquarie United Scorp "Philfy" Phil Carey blowing the horn.

And then our boys putting in a superb performance to finish the Sharks.

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day!
We need to completely forget about the Roosters and focus today, turn up and destroy the druggies!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Mixed feelings today. On one hand I’m excited about the finals, on the other this is only the second finals game I won’t be going to live in the last ten years (the other was storm last year) and I’m a bit bummed about it

Have a great day everyone who goes!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Have a great day Nock, you'll be watching from afar just like me.

Please win boys..ill go to church !
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:Have a great day Nock, you'll be watching from afar just like me.

Hahaha Nock? I think you’ve got me mixed up with Botpig!

Either way, have a great day! I’m off to the pub at lunch to GOTB before the game, but will head home about 5.22
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: October 3, 2020, 7:27 am
-PJ- wrote:Have a great day Nock, you'll be watching from afar just like me.

Hahaha Nock? I think you’ve got me mixed up with Botpig!

Either way, have a great day! I’m off to the pub at lunch to GOTB before the game, but will head home about 5.22
Get On The Beer right ?

Me too. I'll be full and anyone's by kickoff.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I’m heading to Eagle farm followed by finals footy at a nearby pub. What could possible go wrong....

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

RTW wrote: October 3, 2020, 7:47 am I’m heading to Eagle farm followed by finals footy at a nearby pub. What could possible go wrong....

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Sounds like a fantastic day ahead RTW..be careful..stay off the track !!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Game day. Get it done boys. Nothing fancy needed. We focus on defense the attack will sort itself out. Keep them to 2 tries or less and it's in the bag.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Even if we don't win I will be happy to see my 2 favourite non Raiders in Dugan and Fifita get through.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Mullins_y2k »

Getting a little nervous now! Common Raiders! Gosh it be good to knock out the Sharks then the Roosters!...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Why am I not nervous about this at all?

This year is so weird
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

1992 wrote: October 3, 2020, 9:35 am Even if we don't win I will be happy to see my 2 favourite non Raiders in Dugan and Fifita get through.
Instant ban !!
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Anyone coming down from Sydney leave now. The traffic is horrific!
Vaccinated
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

Yeah well you can all get stuffed.

Im in Melbourne and i'm not going anywhere :rant :rant

But i will be on the beers :thumbsup :woot:
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

The Nickman wrote: October 3, 2020, 10:09 am Why am I not nervous about this at all?

This year is so weird
Because Sharks are absolute trash and don't deserve to be in the top 8
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

Last night the Panthers and Roosters leaked points and looked dusty.
The Raiders look more disciplined in defence and tonight will beat the Sharks.
Then next week I reckon they will beat the SBW inspired chooks who will be missing JWH and friend and a lot of other things for example confidence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

1992 wrote: October 3, 2020, 9:35 am Even if we don't win I will be happy to see my 2 favourite non Raiders in Dugan and Fifita get through.
:lol:

That would be truly **** wouldn't it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hot in the sun, but quite a stiff breeze, so it’s quite cool in the shade. So cool, I needed a light jacket.

Interesting... not a single advertising or other marking (apart from the lines) on the field. Guess they’ll be electronic only.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Get back the Ten wrote: October 3, 2020, 11:54 am Last night the Panthers and Roosters leaked points and looked dusty.
Then next week I reckon they will beat the SBW inspired chooks who will be missing JWH and friend and a lot of other things for example confidence

JWH only got a fine. He will play.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

cat wrote:Anyone coming down from Sydney leave now. The traffic is horrific!
Wheres the traffic?

Wasn't planning on leaving till 2. But I get on the M7 from Sunnyholt. Can't imagine much traffic from there?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

Coastalraider wrote: October 3, 2020, 12:35 pm
Get back the Ten wrote: October 3, 2020, 11:54 am Last night the Panthers and Roosters leaked points and looked dusty.

JWH only got a fine. He will play.
Anyone surprised? :?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Not me

What a joke of a system for a serial offender.
Motiv8dan
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by Motiv8dan »

Gameday, time to put my same game multi's on, beer on ice here in Melbourne and await the countdown. I know I shouldn't be confident considering our up and down form over the last few months, but I do feel confident that we should just win for some reason?
One day the Raiders and the Cats win the same year and make my head explode!!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Kikau should have been gone for 3-4 weeks. He had 2 bad tackles.
If it was mid season he would cop more than one game.
NRL is a joke.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:Not me

What a joke of a system for a serial offender.
The loading was meant to punish repeat offenders but somehow JWH continues to be a protected species.

I don't think Kikau deserved a week. I would think a dangerous tackle would be... um dangerous. Didn't even deserve a penalty.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Ej, traffic was from Campbelltown down on the highway. Cleared passed moss vale
Vaccinated
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

I hope they are focused on this game and not next week. Play with patience and confidence and we have this.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Really looking forward to Rapa giving Dugan a hard time.

Praying that we start fast.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

Motiv8dan
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by Motiv8dan »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: October 3, 2020, 2:39 pm Really looking forward to Rapa giving Dugan a hard time.

Unfortunately our game style is to let the opposition score first before we turn up, hopefully not today.
One day the Raiders and the Cats win the same year and make my head explode!!
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Motiv8dan wrote:
Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: October 3, 2020, 2:39 pm Really looking forward to Rapa giving Dugan a hard time.

Unfortunately our game style is to let the opposition score first before we turn up, hopefully not today.
Sharks are the type of team that gain confidence from flukey stuff then get better. They're an awful team to overcome.

Can't let it happen.

Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

EJ wrote: October 3, 2020, 12:36 pm
cat wrote:Anyone coming down from Sydney leave now. The traffic is horrific!
Wheres the traffic?

Wasn't planning on leaving till 2. But I get on the M7 from Sunnyholt. Can't imagine much traffic from there?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
We left just before 9. Traffic added at least 45min