Raiders 2020 regular season observations

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Well, whatever happens in the finals, it's been a mighty impressive regular season for the Raiders.

Whilst most people would have had lofty expectations for this year after last year's grand final loss, 2020 threw a curve ball at us.

The fact that we only missed out on a top 4 spot on for-and-against speaks volumes about the effort and never-say-die attitude this team has in the face of adversity.

With COVID19 and all the issues that caused (travel issues, minimal home games, players having to remain in a 'bubble', no lower grades, etc), the amount of injuries to middles and outside backs throughout the year, and losing Hodgson only 9 rounds into the season, I can't remember the team ever having to face so much adversity in such a short time frame. And yet, we came out the other side. Not limping home, absolutely smashed it.

Some observations...

- We won 9/11 games after losing Hodgson. Our only 2 losses were to last years premiers and this years minor premiers who have only lost 1 game all year. Incredible effort.

- We managed to improve our attack and point scoring after losing Hodgson. We went from averaging 18ppg with him, to 25.5ppg without him.

- We managed to keep the opposition try-less in the second half in 8 games, and have the best defensive record in the competition in the last 20 mins of games.

- We did not get 'run down' in any of our games this year. We were behind at half time in all 6 losses. A rarity for the team known as the "Faders".

- We managed to make the finals two years in a row for the first time since 2004.

- We were in 5th place from round 11. Despite winning 8/10 games from that point, we were unable to improve our position on the ladder and remained in 5th spot for the rest of the season.

- Jarrod Croker only managed to score 5 tries, his lowest return since 2010. However, his goal-kicking % improved markedly from last year, from 73% up to 84%.

All in all, a massive effort from the players and coaching staff, they should be proud of their achievements this season, no matter what happens in the finals. :clap:
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders 2020 regular season observations

Post by -TW- »

Think the fact we went from having no depth, to blooding a bunch of kids who held their own and having good depth is the most positive.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I wrote us off when Hodgo went down. Very impressed with our second half of the season.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Nice thread
Great to reflect on progress and achievements.
I'd add the fact that we received the short end of the stick re travel in the Covid period and still held our own.
Thanks for starting this conversation, as reviews when a team gets knocked out of the finals often start with reasons why we should sack the coach.

Well done Raiders
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think we were (if judged fairly) a top four team this year.

Parra playing almost entirely at home or nearby helped them win at least one extra game and it definitely helped boost their position.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah i listened to the Stuart presser today and it really did drive home what a good season this has been under the circumstances
Whatever happens in the finals, we thought this could be the year we take a step forward but a lot of things outside our control have conspired against that, but the team has rallied really well and i think it has shown 2019 wasnt an aberation and this club can continue to be a contender

But you know what? The roosters conceded 50, they're out. The Storm are beatable, Parra are pretenders... the Panthers are green on this stage. Lets **** around and just go and win the damn thing.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Great thread.
Given the loss of Hodgson and the crappy travel conditions imposed on us early in the season, we should be proud of where we stand.
Happy about the young blood coming through the forwards (and now what appears to be the backs).
BUT....
We play our best football when we attack aggressively and the only frustration I have with us this season is around our very conservative style of play- particularly against the bigger sides.
I hope we show more in the final series with our attack and become a more balanced side.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Couldn’t agree more with this. I was very sceptical of Stuart as a coach when we signed him, but couldn’t be happier to eat humble pie. Along with all the things you mentioned, don’t underestimate the mental bounce back required after that GF last year. The coaching staff have done an amazing job. Just look at the improvement in players like Starling and Tapine this year. Very impressive.

I agree with the poster above - we are much more worthy of a Top 4 spot compared to Parra. They beat Manly when they should have lost (ref called a forward pass) and they played the Storm reserve grade side, along with a few lucky escapes. I suspect they will be bundled out in straight sets, but I guess they are also a “streaky” team in some ways and could get lucky.

In saying all that - I really, really think we are a decent chance to win this thing, and the players should take that attitude, starting with a clinical and professional win against the Sharks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Some good observations there.

I think Stuart and the entire squad have done well under a ton of pressure. I'm not sure how we'll go in the finals as it's a new comp, but I do know a lot of teams will be worried about playing us. We are getting near our peak at the right end of the season and we still have a few extra gears left in us.

I was as disappointed as anyone when Hodgo went down, but I did say at the time I was also quite excited about what that change could do to the dynamic of our team. I think our halves have largely stepped up to the challenge well and we are now a far more dangerous and unpredictable team than what we were 3 months ago.
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

I hope this doesn't sound too...well,I just don't want to sound like i'm setting the bar too low, but i'm just so happy we were properly competitive for two years in row, it really makes me feel like the foundations of change for this club remaining stable and well managed will last into the future. It's basically been a drought of consistency since Super League, And 2016 was a massive false dawn, but a well needed lesson. One other odd stat, but this is the first time EVER Sticky has coached a team into the bottom half of the 8....
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm just so proud of the club. We were a transit lounge for overpaid plodders for a long time.
Those days are over.

It's nice knowing that the club/team are in the top teir of sides on the field and off.
From admin..thru to the players, coaches, strappers, doctors, ballboys and the women who turn on the pie oven at GIO.

We are here, and we ain't going away.

Thank you to all involved. Even you guys and gals on this very forum.

Will we win this comp ? I don't know. But we'll fight till there's nothing to give.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Bang on Peej, this is a club to be proud of once again.
We can knowingly plan around semi's, not stress too heavily about 1 or 2 player movements or relying on buying cast-offs

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

It has been an impressive season all things considered.

When you consider Parra needed a poor goal kicking day from a team in the bottom 8 to keep the Raiders out of the top 4. Parramatta played 16 games in Sydney and Penrith 15 games in Sydney whilst the Raiders played just 7 games at home all season. That is a huge difference in the travel conditions between the teams. Yes Penrith have played some great football but those differences in the playing conditions along with significant differences in injuries makes the Raiders season all the more impressive for me.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Parra are the biggest pretenders to finish top 4 in a long time. IMO we effectively were in the top 4 teams all season - especially given the adversity we faced - and yet I rarely felt we were at our best. That's not a bad sign.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Theyre looking over their shoulder Azza.

Here we come.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: September 28, 2020, 2:41 pm Parra are the biggest pretenders to finish top 4 in a long time. IMO we effectively were in the top 4 teams all season - especially given the adversity we faced - and yet I rarely felt we were at our best. That's not a bad sign.
There was an analysis in the paper that weighed up the games played vs teams final position on the ladder (which has more bearing when you only play a certain select 4 teams twice in a short season , than it would in a longer season ensuring a more even spread with 8 teams twice...)- Parra and Penrif came out by far the softest draw of the top 4.

Then you factor in the no travel vs Raiders who had plenty or Storm who were mucked around from base to base and unsettled. Fair to say that Parra and the Riff benefitted from a nice cruisy wave and rode it well. But I really think we may see a turnaround in the finals.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

We looked much, much better when we stopped having to travel every week to Campbelltown. We looked genuinely fatigued during that time and it cost us a top 4 spot imo. Outside of our control
- We were in 5th place from round 11. Despite winning 8/10 games from that point, we were unable to improve our position on the ladder and remained in 5th spot for the rest of the season.
That's amazing really. Maybe partly because of a weak bottom 8, not taking enough points away from the top 4
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

It really has been an impressive season given our injury toll, the number of debutants and the travel we have had to do. I also think that when you compare the game the Knights produced against us versus some of the dross they turned out at other times over the season that we were unlucky with when we caught them. Same could be said for Manly although we had plenty of chances to win that game.

There probably hasn't been and no won't be a game this year where we have had out top 17 on the park together and yet we only just missed the top 4.

Finals are funny and there is definitely an advantage in having been there before and understanding what it is about. There are 4 teams that could win it and we are definitely one of them. Like any team we will need a bit of luck to run our way and if we get through the Sharks having to face the Panthers or Chooks is tough but to win the grand final you have to beat the best teams .

Above all it is great to watch the Raiders knowing that they will be competitive in every game they play and the difference between our best and worst football isn't that great, whatever happens in the finals I'll be proud of what the team has achieved this year.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Parramatta are only in the top four because in Round 4 that absolute **** Ben Cummins called a perfect pass forward, when Manly scored the match winner in the final minute of the game vs the Eels.

Add to that, bloody Benji Marshall screwing us over yet again by getting injured when the Tigers had a match winning lead against the Eels last weekend.

Not to mention the arsey field goal from Gutherson at the end of extra time that got them over the line against us.

Cummins and Marshall. The bane of our lives!
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Azza wrote: September 28, 2020, 2:41 pm Parra are the biggest pretenders to finish top 4 in a long time. IMO we effectively were in the top 4 teams all season - especially given the adversity we faced - and yet I rarely felt we were at our best. That's not a bad sign.
They're not as good as Souths, either.

And second half of the season Titans would probably best them, too.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

MrPosh wrote:

Souths that flogged the chooks or Souths that lost to the dogs? They’ve had some bad games.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

pickles wrote: September 28, 2020, 11:24 pm
MrPosh wrote:

Souths that flogged the chooks or Souths that lost to the dogs? They’ve had some bad games.
They'll likely meet in the second round, so I'll let you know.
SimplyThePest
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by SimplyThePest »

pickles wrote: September 28, 2020, 11:24 pm
MrPosh wrote:

Tinfoil hat on but I reckon Bennett had Souths tank against the Dogs to help ensure Brisbane got the spoon...
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Parra have been rubbish but I for one will be cheering for them this week. If they can somehow pull of an unlikely win this week it will put the Storm on the other side of the draw, if we can get through the semi we will play the Eels to make the Grand Final.