Sharks 13+
No votes

Total votes: 1

RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 Finals Week 1 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by RTW »

BJ wrote:Loving the guy at the tiny Wanniassa bakery and his green Raiders bread. Raiders making the finals probably keeps him in business. Image

Can someone please confirm that the whitehead is in fact whitebread looks like it could be wholemeal.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RTW wrote:
BJ wrote:Loving the guy at the tiny Wanniassa bakery and his green Raiders bread. Raiders making the finals probably keeps him in business. Image

Can someone please confirm that the whitehead is in fact whitebread looks like it could be wholemeal.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It’s not white bread, it’s green bread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seiffert82 wrote:1. Will Kennedy
6. Connor Tracey
7. Chad Townsend
9. Blayke Brailey

If we get beaten by that spine, it'll dead set do me.

I know the Sharks had a great attacking record with Johnson at halfback, but we seriously just need to hold onto the ball and not completely throw our defensive intensity out the window to win this game.
We got beaten by Kurt Capewell playing in the halves last time, cause Townsend was that **** he got dragged..

I'm worried.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to call on last year's grand final experience as they enter sudden-death mode

Raiders prop Josh Papalii believes lessons learned in last year's grand final defeat can propel the club to another deep playoff run.

"Most of us have been in this situation before," Papalii said. "Making the grand final last year, we learned a lot from what happened. We know we've still got the job ahead of us but we're still going to have fun with it."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders coaching consultant, Michael Ennis back on right side of Viking clap

Come Saturday night one-time public enemy in Canberra, Michael Ennis, will be bleeding green for the Raiders' finals rematch with the Sharks.

"You can tell he is the kind of bloke that whatever he puts his mind to, that is his passion and where his mind is. I'm sure his passion is with the Raiders at the moment," Raiders captain Jarrod Croker said.

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1356831

Read more:

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders V Sharks: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34272

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10 ... -v-sharks/
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-TW- wrote: October 1, 2020, 6:23 pm
6. Connor Tracey
7. Chad Townsend
9. Blayke Brailey

I know the Sharks had a great attacking record with Johnson at halfback, but we seriously just need to hold onto the ball and not completely throw our defensive intensity out the window to win this game.
We got beaten by Kurt Capewell playing in the halves last time, cause Townsend was that **** he got dragged..

I'm worried.

100%. I was thinking the same thing.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

6. Connor Tracey
7. Chad Townsend
9. Blayke Brailey

I'm worried.

Yeah, I guess that's the thing. If we aren't switched on we don't deserve to be playing in week 2.

I'd like to think the boys will be focussed, especially given it will be the biggest home crowd they will have played in front of since the opening round.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

6. Connor Tracey
7. Chad Townsend
9. Blayke Brailey

I'm worried.

Not sure that is right is it? From memory Capewell came on when Graham got knocked out early and played really well. I know Townsend got dragged but from memory they had another half on the bench.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I find it hard to believe that anyone could be worried about the Sharks this yr...They aren’t made of the same stuff they used to be. We will win in a canter
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They had Beale and 3 forwards on the bench but I distinctly remember Capewell playing a makeshift half role

Either way we got carved up by a bits and pieces side, Gallen was out.. backs against the wall stuff.

That's what this is

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Raiders666 wrote: October 1, 2020, 9:54 pm I find it hard to believe that anyone could be worried about the Sharks this yr...They aren’t made of the same stuff they used to be. We will win in a canter
And this is exactly the kind of comment that worries me.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Begbie wrote: October 1, 2020, 10:14 pm
Raiders666 wrote: October 1, 2020, 9:54 pm I find it hard to believe that anyone could be worried about the Sharks this yr...They aren’t made of the same stuff they used to be. We will win in a canter
Put it this way - if we lose to the Sharks we were never going to beat Panthers or Roosters/Storm/Panthers or Roosters in consecutive weeks.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I love this belief that you cant be confident of a win as a fan base otherwise the team will be complacent.
Im confident the team will be right up for this and they should win comfortably.
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, I’m not worried about this game at all, it’s Week 2 that really worries me.

Changing from likely playing the Eels to playing the loser of Roosters/Panthers is an IMMENSE difference.

Our finals draw is immeasurably harder now. We’ll now have to beat all three of the Storm, Roosters and Panthers consecutively to win the big dance.

Previously it looked like we’d only have to beat two after (relatively speaking) cruising through the sharks and eels.

Tough gig.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

The thing is...If the Panthers beat the Roosters they will be in panic mode and I think they will be beatable imo
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Raiders666 wrote:The thing is...If the Panthers beat the Roosters they will be in panic mode and I think they will be beatable imo
I think seeing them drop SBW shows they are already in a panic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Rick wrote: October 2, 2020, 7:28 am
Raiders666 wrote:The thing is...If the Panthers beat the Roosters they will be in panic mode and I think they will be beatable imo

I don’t. I think it shows some pretty strong resolve to tell one of the all time greats he’s not cutting the mustard and the bloke who’ll replace him is currently better.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

who ever Eliminates Roosters Will be in the Grandfinal.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: October 2, 2020, 7:41 am

I don’t. I think it shows some pretty strong resolve to tell one of the all time greats he’s not cutting the mustard and the bloke who’ll replace him is currently better.
Correct. I'd wager the roosters and SBW were both well aware what was happening, he'd be named, and withdrawn with "injury" to save him the embarrassment of being dropped
No one is fooled by this though, SBW is not in the best 17 for the roosters, that's why he's not playing. Plain and simple.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

I think we beat Sharks easily enough.

Wk 2 is the big one. Win that and I'll start to believe it's possible
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 2, 2020, 6:23 am
Put it this way - if we lose to the Sharks we were never going to beat Panthers or Roosters/Storm/Panthers or Roosters in consecutive weeks.
Exactly. If the team performs anywhere near their ability they should win the game.

If they can't get motivated for week 1 of the finals or go into the game with a bad attitude, they don't deserve to compete for the premiership.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Raiders666 wrote: October 2, 2020, 7:13 am The thing is...If the Panthers beat the Roosters they will be in panic mode and I think they will be beatable imo
I think that whoever loses out of Penrith or Easts will be beatable week 2.

You will either have a team in the Roosters coming off a complete humbling against Souths followed by finals loss; or a team in the Panthers who have just provided vindication to the doubters who say they have benefited from a soft draw and have failed at their first true test.

Either way you will have a team under pressure. I would give us a decent chance against either.
Up The Milk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Never thought I'd say it, but I'd prefer to play the Roosters in week 2.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 2, 2020, 10:41 am
Exactly. If the team performs anywhere near their ability they should win the game.

If they can't get motivated for week 1 of the finals or go into the game with a bad attitude, they don't deserve to compete for the premiership.
Yes I agree. My comment was around complacently. We should thrash the Sharks - if prepare properly, don't take if for granted and are up on the day.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: October 2, 2020, 9:35 am
julian87 wrote: October 2, 2020, 7:41 am

Correct. I'd wager the roosters and SBW were both well aware what was happening, he'd be named, and withdrawn with "injury" to save him the embarrassment of being dropped
No one is fooled by this though, SBW is not in the best 17 for the roosters, that's why he's not playing. Plain and simple.
Yeah, doesn't strike me as a team panicking at all, just making the right calls at the right time, as good coaches need to do.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Mickey_Raider wrote: October 2, 2020, 11:45 am
Raiders666 wrote: October 2, 2020, 7:13 am The thing is...If the Panthers beat the Roosters they will be in panic mode and I think they will be beatable imo
I think that whoever loses out of Penrith or Easts will be beatable week 2.

You will either have a team in the Roosters coming off a complete humbling against Souths followed by finals loss; or a team in the Panthers who have just provided vindication to the doubters who say they have benefited from a soft draw and have failed at their first true test.

Either way you will have a team under pressure. I would give us a decent chance against either.
Completely agree with this one. Whoever we play will be coming off a tough loss in what is the toughest game of the first week of finals. All the pressure on whoever we play and none on us. Not a bad position to be in. There's no easy games from here on in, just need to play our best and hope we get a bit of luck at the right times!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Begbie wrote: October 2, 2020, 11:59 am
Seiffert82 wrote: October 2, 2020, 10:41 am

Yes I agree. My comment was around complacently. We should thrash the Sharks - if prepare properly, don't take if for granted and are up on the day.
Absolutely.

If we get through to week 2 it's then a completely different kettle of fish against the Roosters or Panthers, either of which will be under a lot more pressure not to bow out in straight sets.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Two different teams will clash this week: Croker

It will be the second week in a row that the Canberra Raiders have clashed with the Cronulla Sharks, when the two teams meet at Canberra Stadium in an elimination final on Saturday night.

But captain Jarrod Croker says that his team will take virtually nothing from last weekend's 38-28 win over the Sharks in Sydney - after both clubs rested a significant number of players from the final round of the regular season.

The Raiders have brought back nine players into their top 17 for Week 1 of the finals campaign, while the Sharks have seven returning.

"It's two different teams," Croker said today.

"The Sharks rested a lot of players and I think people have forgotten about that. They had some big guns out as well."

"Two news teams and a finals series. I certainly haven't looked at anything from last weekend and the boys that did play can take a few things out of that for their own performance."

The Raiders are warm favourites in this weekend's clash, but Croker knows that the Sharks will be a tough opponent.

"They've got some big name players and some of those blokes didn't play last week," he said.

"Duges [Josh Dugan], Jesse Ramien, Chad Townsend is back in the side, Wade Graham will be better for the experience [of returning last week] and better off in the back row, and Andrew Fifita is a big game player."

"Those blokes are just hard blokes to tackle. They've got a lot of powerful outside backs especially, wingers and centres."

"[They] can create a bit of second phase and a bit of ad lib footy if we don't start well and end our sets well. That's how we want to start the game and I think the start is massive."

"I think 10,000 there tomorrow night will help us start well. And if we can start well and get into that arm wrestle, we'll be better for the back end."

Croker says the build up to the finals is not quite the same this year, but he's relishing the prospect of warmer weather and a bigger crowd this weekend. Regardless, he says "the boys are ready".

"It's obviously a little bit different, with the way life is at the moment with COVID and the bubble. It's a little bit of a different feeling," he said.

"It's hard to get out in the community. We know there's a lot of support out there, but you don't feel it as much being in the bubble. So it's a little bit of a different feeling."

"But once we get there tomorrow night, with 10,000 fans there as opposed to what we've had, 3,000 at home. It'll feel like 50,000 there tomorrow night."

"Once we get there tomorrow night, and get amongst it all, I'm sure the boys will start to feel it."

Croker believes that the experience of making the Grand Final in 2019 will help his team this year at the business end of the season.

"It's certainly less daunting. We've been there and played a lot of big games. We know how to prepare. That's the big thing, is preparation," Croker said.

"I think we've prepared really well so far. We obviously had a finals series last year to fall back on and to use.

"I think the boys have prepared well, it's about executing now.

This year, the Raiders are playing in back to back finals campaigns for the first time since 2004. Between 2004 and 2012, they were in the finals one year, and then out the next. Then, between 2013 and 2018, the Raiders played in the finals just once - in 2016.

"It's the first time in a long time we've been in back to back series, Croker said.

"Hopefully, going forward, it's a a thing for the next three or four or five years. We want to be a strong club and continue the culture that we've built here."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Croker ready for finals atmosphere: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10 ... mosphere2/

Canberra Raiders find belief amid injury toll

It was during the depth of one of the NRL's worst injury crises of the season when the belief returned to Canberra.

"We had a short turnaround into the Thursday night game against the Roosters at the SCG," captain Jarrod Croker said. "And they had won 10 in a row there. We didn't need to say anything to each other. We just naturally came together and rallied together.

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1359522

Cronlla Sharks happy to be finals underdogs: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1359652

GALLERY: Captain's Run: Raiders v Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10 ... -v-sharks/

Set of six: Raiders v Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10 ... -v-sharks/
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

We have had a tough season this year with injuries on top of everything else. It makes it a tough run to the grand final for us but one of the pleasing things has been seeing the players that we have coming through the system. Clearly the club is building for long term success and a lot of those players have big futures ahead of them.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders half George Williams loving Green Machine's driver's seat

It's a new experience - sitting in the driver's seat for the Green Machine - but George Williams is loving it.

"I've loved it. I played a lot of six in England and being halfback's a little different - you've got to be a bit more vocal," Williams said. "It's something I'm learning each week and under 'Sticky' it helps. I'm learning off the best and trying to learn each week.

Rookie Raiders put pressure on top 17 to beat Sharks again

Joe Tapine says the fact the rookie Raiders had beaten the Sharks last weekend had the nine returning senior payers, who were rested, determined not to be upstaged.

"You don't want them to win against the Sharks and we lose so it's a big challenge," he laughed. "They'll mock us all year. [We don't want] to give them bragging rights if they win, we lose. It's going to be tough. Every game's a knockout game now so we've got to win."

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker keeps on giving, as the New Zealand Warriors get his Ken Stephen Medal vote

Jarrod Croker has been nominated for the Ken Stephen Medal, but he thinks the medal should be given to the entire New Zealand Warriors team for the sacrifices they've made in 2020.

"It's humbling. I didn't expect it. I don't give away the head gear and boots just to get nominated for a medal, I just enjoy doing it," Croker said. "I've got to give credit to my wife actually because a lot of the stuff goes through her. I should nominate her for the medal.

Fanboy to teammate - Bradford bond strong as ever at Raiders between John Bateman and Elliott Whitehead

Elliott Whitehead struck a deal pretty early on in the piece with his new Bradford teammate - John Bateman. Whitehead told him to wait at the top of the hill every morning and he'd drive the youngster to Bulls training.

"He had a little bit more weight on him back in those days, that's why I used to make him walk up the hill to lose a little bit," Whitehead says of Bateman's early professional years about a decade ago.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: October 2, 2020, 2:56 pm Rookie Raiders put pressure on top 17 to beat Sharks again

Joe Tapine says the fact the rookie Raiders had beaten the Sharks last weekend had the nine returning senior payers, who were rested, determined not to be upstaged.

"You don't want them to win against the Sharks and we lose so it's a big challenge," he laughed. "They'll mock us all year. [We don't want] to give them bragging rights if they win, we lose. It's going to be tough. Every game's a knockout game now so we've got to win."
In all seriousness, that has to be one of the motivators tomorrow. The first string boys will want to prove their worth.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

greeneyed wrote: October 2, 2020, 2:56 pm Rookie Raiders put pressure on top 17 to beat Sharks again

And that's the attitude I was hoping for.

I just think some of us are jaded by so many years where this would 100% be an ambush game for us - heavy favourites, already talking about week 2, predicted to run all over them etc etc. In past years we're a surefire thing to screw this up. Having expectations and a team that doesn't do that is new territory.

As for week 2, I'll take the Roosters...after Penrith beat them up tonight. That could absolutely work in our favour.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Hear from Jarrod Croker, George Williams and Joe Tapine as the Canberra Raiders prepare for Saturday's elimination final against the Cronulla Sharks! WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/CNys50BHuWh

#NRL #WeAreRaiders
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Update: winner of tomorrow’s game will face the Sydney Roosters at the SCG tomorrow night. Penrith defeated Roosters 29-28 this evening.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

We have to improve to beat the Roosters based on tonight. But at least Souths have given the blueprint to score points against them. Keep the game tempo high, offloads, target the halves.

Gee I don't want to play Penrith though. They will likely improve after that first final. Hopefully the Bunnies get them and we play Souffs in the GF.