Hudson Young

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Hudson Young

Post by IBG »

I thought he was serviceable last year but he's gone to a new level this year.

I dare say his dramatic form increase has come thanks to his switch to the middle. His footwork and leg speed has caused plenty of issues for other teams in the middle and he's got a great offload too.

So happy to see he is repaying the club's faith in him. Well played Mr Young.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Hudson Young

Post by Danaman137 »

He’s making a solid case to be in the strongest 17 with everyone healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Yep I'm so conflicted as to which forwards we can leave out when all are healthy.
As ricky said, he's struggling to find a place in the 17 for Sia.
That's saying something.

Sutton and Young have really raised the bar this year.

Might have to move on that ageing Papalii fellow to make room for them all :)
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

casta66 wrote:Yep I'm so conflicted as to which forwards we can leave out when all are healthy.
As ricky said, he's struggling to find a place in the 17 for Sia.
That's saying something.

Sutton and Young have really raised the bar this year.

Might have to move on that ageing Papalii fellow to make room for them all :)
Atleast at the moment it means we haven’t had to rush anyone back, plenty of time for Horse, Sia and Guler to get right before trying to crack back in.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I was probably one of his harshest critics after his eye gouging and even early this year when he was playing on the edges I thought he was just another guy out there and I didn’t see what the fuss was about

But since moving to the middle he’s been phenomenal and I am thrilled to say he’s put egg on my face
I think he’s rapidly developing into a real x-factor for us as a middle forward
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

Botman wrote:I was probably one of his harshest critics after his eye gouging and even early this year when he was playing on the edges I thought he was just another guy out there and I didn’t see what the fuss was about

But since moving to the middle he’s been phenomenal and I am thrilled to say he’s put egg on my face
He was on the edge today. Filling in for Whitehead going into the halves.

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

He was in my best 17 at full strength last year, is now and will be going forward.

I also think he was in the coaches best 17 last year and would have played the GF if not for his ridiculous action that got him suspended.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Danaman137 wrote: September 20, 2020, 4:32 pm
Botman wrote:I was probably one of his harshest critics after his eye gouging and even early this year when he was playing on the edges I thought he was just another guy out there and I didn’t see what the fuss was about

He was on the edge today. Filling in for Whitehead going into the halves.

And he again looked pretty good but his impact game running a a traditional middle line
I think today again showed he’s a serviceable edge and a potential gun middle
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

With Hudson playing to his potential and CHN having a decent game today, it will soften the blow of Bateman leaving next season..
Happy for Hudson to prove he owns a spot in this team. Good on him.
And not one dirty tactic since he came back.
Exactly what I hoped for
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He's had a fantastic month or so.

Greta's loss is our gain..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Personally I think NRL should pay Hudson to eye gouge that ref.
His decisions would likely improve with less eyesight.
Wighton hard done by.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Neeeegz wrote: September 20, 2020, 4:52 pm With Hudson playing to his potential and CHN having a decent game today, it will soften the blow of Bateman leaving next season..
Happy for Hudson to prove he owns a spot in this team. Good on him.
And not one dirty tactic since he came back.
Exactly what I hoped for
This might not be popular, but I think we will look a lot better in attack with CHN running lines off Williams, and offloading the ball to his centre than we have this year with Bateman playing like trash most weeks.

CHN, just needs a bit of time to get his defensive positioning in order, but I think his strengths in attack complement Williams' running game more than Bateman does.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

He's definitely a middle now, not an edge. He was average/poor when he played there this season after he came back from his second gouge with little attacking threat, as soon as he's moved he's slowly picked it up and become a lot better.

As I said last week I do think some extra size will help him to play there permanently, by boosting him post contact and shrugging players off better.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Could see early on he was going to be a point of difference in our forward pack.
That late at the line footwork and speed is fantastic.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

He always looked like the one with most potential out of the young forwards with Horsburgh and Guler imo.

Early season he kept nearly breaking the line time after time but it rarely happened for him. He's really got his timing and angles right now and he's doing it at a speed no one else in the team is matching at the moment.

Playing a great role for us at the moment

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I still think he's behind guler and hors, both props though and the faster ruck means youngs legspeed off the bench can be huge

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I'd be pretty excited to see Young play with Hodgson, he runs a really GREAT crash ball line. Could be a real weapon for us next year
I too have him behind Guler and Hors, but he's rapidly making up ground... gives me real hope that the next era of raiders football could be anchored around those three as middle forwards.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

As I said in the game post today - I'm really happy for him, he is turning into a great player and I'm glad the club didn't listen to people like me asking for him to be sacked last year after his second suspension. Would suspect he will get a starting spot next week too as I really hope we are resting players. Maybe throw him in at lock and see how it goes there.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m very happy for Hudson. He might have made some mistakes, but so do we all.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Yep, I also couldn’t see the hype early on, particularly when he got in trouble. But he’s proven to be really dynamic and adds a different element to the attack while being a strong defender.

He’s still not in my 2021 best 17 but he’s making a very strong claim for it.

As for the middle v edge argument, I don’t think it’s that straightforward. He’s playing his best football now but he’s also now had enough time in first grade - and also playing games in a row - to feel confident and find his feet.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: September 20, 2020, 8:51 pm I’m very happy for Hudson. He might have made some mistakes, but so do we all.
Little known fact GE served a 2 week suspension for eye gouging a colleague at the water cooler following some banter about our 1988 elimination.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He was right to do it.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I am also very happy to see how well he's improved this year. I was really angry with him after the second eye gouge and would not have blinked if Ricky had torn up his contract. But he seems to have put in a lot of work to rub out the dirtier side of his game and he's come extremely good. So I'm happy, and long may it continue, because if that boy finds himself on a charge sheet any time in the next year or more, he's going to have problems with the carry over points.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

raiderskater wrote: September 20, 2020, 9:52 pm I am also very happy to see how well he's improved this year. I was really angry with him after the second eye gouge and would not have blinked if Ricky had torn up his contract. But he seems to have put in a lot of work to rub out the dirtier side of his game and he's come extremely good. So I'm happy, and long may it continue, because if that boy finds himself on a charge sheet any time in the next year or more, he's going to have problems with the carry over points.
Agreed though he still doesn’t mind getting into a bit of niggle. Any time there’s something going on, Young is amongst the thick of it. Even today when Papa had his tussle, Hudson round Tevaga pretty quickly. (Tevaga being one of the world’s biggest niggle magnets himself.)

But I don’t mind that as long as he keeps his head.

Gee, I’m loving the lines he’s running though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 20, 2020, 9:24 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 20, 2020, 8:51 pm I’m very happy for Hudson. He might have made some mistakes, but so do we all.
Little known fact GE served a 2 week suspension for eye gouging a colleague at the water cooler following some banter about our 1988 elimination.
I stood by Hudson and you all didn’t. Now I won’t say...
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

I’ve honestly rated this kid even when he wasn’t doing anything special for us, his energy and aggression (when reigned in) is superb and he has speed and skill. What’s he got like 5 tries in the last 6 games? He’s a definite top 17 player for mine.
Last year really has set this club up greatly, all the young forwards that got a sniff last year have been the whole way, unfortunately a couple have had bad injuries but it’s given us great depth.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: September 20, 2020, 10:10 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 20, 2020, 9:24 pm
I stood by Hudson and you all didn’t. Now I won’t say...
You have another half season without incident to go and you can finish your sentence :D
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Good mobile lock in the modern style- Radley/Murray kind of lock. He's probably a touch bigger and a touch less ballpay and down a paygrade but fills the role. Good option to come on after Tapine and use that speed and energy through the middle.

A good pack needs some variety in shapes and styles- he adds that.

Where on earth will we fit Hors and Guler into things. Let alone Sia. It's going to be a scary.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Raiders backed Young over Murchie. It's paying off now. That said, Murchie is going Ok for Warriors this year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

As we saw yesterday, Murchie brings size and effort but he brings very little natural football skills. He killed a couple of half chances for Warriors yesterday by running the wrong lines, getting in the wrong place and/or not passing.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

CJ42 wrote: September 21, 2020, 7:23 am I’ve honestly rated this kid even when he wasn’t doing anything special for us, his energy and aggression (when reigned in) is superb and he has speed and skill. What’s he got like 5 tries in the last 6 games? He’s a definite top 17 player for mine.
Last year really has set this club up greatly, all the young forwards that got a sniff last year have been the whole way, unfortunately a couple have had bad injuries but it’s given us great depth.

same here, very few young forwards have the mix of speed, power, footwork and skill that Young has, always thought it was a matter of time before he would start to put it all together and prove to be a very good footballer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

kiwi raider wrote: September 21, 2020, 10:48 am
CJ42 wrote: September 21, 2020, 7:23 am I’ve honestly rated this kid even when he wasn’t doing anything special for us, his energy and aggression (when reigned in) is superb and he has speed and skill. What’s he got like 5 tries in the last 6 games? He’s a definite top 17 player for mine.

same here, very few young forwards have the mix of speed, power, footwork and skill that Young has, always thought it was a matter of time before he would start to put it all together and prove to be a very good footballer
Agreed. From his first ever outing, Young struck me as a guy that brings intensity and enthusiasm to the team. Both he and Horsburgh didn't take a backwards step against the best forwards in the comp. Young ran courageous lines and worked hard off the ball. He just looked the part as soon as he was on the field.

Unfortunately he found it hard to control that intensity and has obviously had to manage some anger related issues. It's been really pleasing to see the club help him with that and for him to now come out and just focus on the game rather than the niggle.

Absolutely none of his recent form surprises me. And to be perfectly honest I think those lines that he runs does a hell of a lot more for our attack than anything that Bateman has done this season.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Solid case to be in the 17? He'll walk into the 17. He's gone above Horsburgh, Sutton and Guler imo plus can add backup for the edge - he won't miss the 17 again
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

raiderskater wrote: September 20, 2020, 9:52 pm I am also very happy to see how well he's improved this year. I was really angry with him after the second eye gouge and would not have blinked if Ricky had torn up his contract. But he seems to have put in a lot of work to rub out the dirtier side of his game and he's come extremely good. So I'm happy, and long may it continue, because if that boy finds himself on a charge sheet any time in the next year or more, he's going to have problems with the carry over points.
It's more the points loading than the carry over that will kill him. I think loading only counts on "similar incidents" but I believe they have a lot all tied in together with gouging so it wouldn't take much for him to sit out a couple weeks.

I'm sure he is constantly reminded of that though so I'm not too worried. Sitting so long on the side lines to think about it would have helped hammer it home.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I honestly think without the form from the first offence that he wouldn't have been suspended for the second. The commentators immediate reaction didn't help him either.

That behind him he has certainly gone up a gear this season and I wouldn't be surprised if as he develops we see some more ball playing from him. I have a theory that with Ricky you need to earn the right to offload and pass in the forwards by hitting it up hard, making your tackles and not making errors before you get your license to offload, strip and ball play at the line.

He runs hard and hits hard and I think his potential upside is huge.