7%

Total votes: 15

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2020 Rd 20 V Sharks: Teams and Previews

Post by Coastalraider »

I really liked Whitehead at half.

Maybe play Williams in the hooker rotation??
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:22 pm I really liked Whitehead at half.

I like that idea, provided we can transition him to an 80 minute dummy half.

Then we don't need Havili or Starling in the 17 and we can stack the bench with outside backs in case Valamei drops the ball.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:32 pm
Coastalraider wrote: September 21, 2020, 3:22 pm I really liked Whitehead at half.

I like that idea, provided we can transition him to an 80 minute dummy half.

Then we don't need Havili or Starling in the 17 and we can stack the bench with outside backs in case Valamei drops the ball.
I like where you are going with this.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Wonderful thinking. Maybe we can play Croker at prop too, I feel like he could really lead from the front that way.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: September 21, 2020, 4:03 pm Wonderful thinking. Maybe we can play Croker at prop too, I feel like he could really lead from the front that way.
Needs to be somewhere where he can constantly talk to the ref and yell at players, so this might just work!
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Dragons are preparing to table a 1.3mil/season offer to play Elliot at halfback, having learned from their last halfback signing.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Nickman wrote: September 21, 2020, 4:04 pm
Azza wrote: September 21, 2020, 4:03 pm Wonderful thinking. Maybe we can play Croker at prop too, I feel like he could really lead from the front that way.
Needs to be somewhere where he can constantly talk to the ref and yell at players, so this might just work!
Croker as an old fashioned sweep defender for mine.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: September 21, 2020, 4:04 pm
May be a way to influence the game a little more.

#leadershipvaccuum
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Azza wrote:Wonderful thinking. Maybe we can play Croker at prop too, I feel like he could really lead from the front that way.
5/8 is his position

Sticky is just too stubborn to realise

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Elliott Whitehead wants full-strength Canberra Raiders to hunt for Parramatta Eels

Elliott Whitehead wants the Parramatta Eels to hear footsteps. And he wants Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart to run out a full-strength side against Cronulla to ensure they do.

"We want to win. We want to get that win and go into the finals. We want to put a bit of pressure on Parramatta," he said. "If we win and they lose we'll go fourth so we'll be going down there to win. We won't be resting any players that's for sure."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think we're going to smash Crapnulla, I feel it in my water..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yes it's just a shame we have to rely on a rabble like the Tigers to beat the Eels.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote:Yes it's just a shame we have to rely on a rabble like the Tigers to beat the Eels.
They’ll beat them Az, ninth spot is on the line... I’ve never been more confident of anything in my life
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

1. CNK
2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Rapana
5. Cotric
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Sutton
9. Havili
10. Lui
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Young
16. Soliola
17. Oldfield

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Yeah nah
Doubt that will happen
Cnk
Cotric
Croker c
Bateman
Rapana
Wighton
G.Williams
Papa
Starling
Liu
Whitehead c
CHN
Tapine

Havilli
Young
Sia
Sutton
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Brilliant. And it sets us up for next year when Hodgson comes back at 7. This will stop him overplaying his hand at dummy half.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Can we start a Wests V Eels thread?

After Wests having stuffed up numerous chances to play finals by losing the last game of the season at Leichardt, it would be great to have them finally win at their 'spiritual home'. This time however...we reap the rewards.

Make it happen G.E
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Thought they moved the game to their spiritual home for Benji's farewell. EDIT!

The amount of times Benji has ended our hopes I think he owes us one.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I want parra to win, then we smash the sharks twice in a row from 5th, then knock the eels out, then it's 1 game from the big dance... it's doable
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Neeeegz wrote:I want parra to win, then we smash the sharks twice in a row from 5th, then knock the eels out, then it's 1 game from the big dance... it's doable
It’s not a better option than finishing 4th

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

The Nickman wrote: September 21, 2020, 9:38 pm
Neeeegz wrote:I want parra to win, then we smash the sharks twice in a row from 5th, then knock the eels out, then it's 1 game from the big dance... it's doable

Even if the off chance that we lost to the Panthers. We would still be playing Para in the 2nd week but this time at home. I assume that the sharks are worse than Eels here.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Sharks are worse. They've lost the guy that's leading the league in try assists by a margin and haven't beaten a side in the top 9 all season.
Unless it rains then all bets are off.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

kona_dream wrote:

Even if the off chance that we lost to the Panthers. We would still be playing Para in the 2nd week but this time at home. I assume that the sharks are worse than Eels here.
Yep, we shouldn't discount the home ground advantage, particularly in finals footy. It is definitely a better option to play Parra at Canberra stadium, or better yet we stick with the Panthers for 60 minutes I think we can genuinely beat them. But back on Parra, despite them looking out of sorts for two months they don't roll over like they used to. You still have to beat them and their defence is still pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: September 21, 2020, 7:23 pm Elliott Whitehead wants full-strength Canberra Raiders to hunt for Parramatta Eels

Elliott Whitehead wants the Parramatta Eels to hear footsteps. And he wants Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart to run out a full-strength side against Cronulla to ensure they do.

"We want to win. We want to get that win and go into the finals. We want to put a bit of pressure on Parramatta," he said. "If we win and they lose we'll go fourth so we'll be going down there to win. We won't be resting any players that's for sure."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Well said Elliott. Only those who cannot play for medical reasons this weekend should not be in the squad. I get the theory behind resting players, but it is telling the squad that some players health is more important than others. That does not create unity within the squad. There are a maximum of five games of football left for Competition 2020. I reckon each and every player wants the best available players beside them on the field. I expect Sticky to name a full strength side today and it will be up to the medico's to determine who will take the field this weekend. Just like every other round of the season. Sticky has said that Sia will get a run so one of last weeks middles will have to make way or Young moved to an edge. Tough decision for Sticky.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: September 21, 2020, 7:57 pm
Azza wrote:Yes it's just a shame we have to rely on a rabble like the Tigers to beat the Eels.
They’ll beat them Az, ninth spot is on the line... I’ve never been more confident of anything in my life
:roflmao

It's funny 'cos it's true.

Every year.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

To win the comp means 4 straight wins in the finals. My opinion is we shouldn't care too much about the position on the ladder. Can we beat the Panthers in 2 weeks time? I don't know but I think majority of people would lean to a "no"..
Can we beat Sharks twice without too much effort? I would say yes.

Because of the logic above, I would say resting players is going to be critical. Roosters and Storm have done exactly that. In the Roosters case, I cant help but think it came down to injuries , "injuries" and also resting players.

I still worry about our attack, but it may be too late now to do anything drastic or come up with better unproven structures in the finals. We need to rely on our grit teamwork and defense to take us home. With a bit of luck we can do it!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Not sure what you are on about. A top 4 finish means we need 3 straight wins only, and have a shot at a home prelim final. I'd take it every day of the week over finishing 5-8th.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah i dont really think we have an option... there is a lot of players i'd want to rest if we were locked into 5th, but as it stands right now the only one id be OK (not happy, but OK) with resting is Papalii

But we really have to go hard and make sure we win this game to put the pressure on parra. A top 4 spot could be season changing
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Azza wrote: September 22, 2020, 10:39 am Not sure what you are on about. A top 4 finish means we need 3 straight wins only, and have a shot at a home prelim final. I'd take it every day of the week over finishing 5-8th.
If you think we can beat Penrith in 2 weeks time then you are correct. As I said, I believe majority of league enthusiasts would believe that not to be the case right now.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Botman wrote: September 22, 2020, 10:45 am Yeah i dont really think we have an option... there is a lot of players i'd want to rest if we were locked into 5th, but as it stands right now the only one id be OK (not happy, but OK) with resting is Papalii

But we really have to go hard and make sure we win this game to put the pressure on parra. A top 4 spot could be season changing
Yep.
I would consider CNK too. He is a workhorse at the back and would be good for him to freshen up for the finals.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

benda wrote: September 22, 2020, 10:45 am
Azza wrote: September 22, 2020, 10:39 am Not sure what you are on about. A top 4 finish means we need 3 straight wins only, and have a shot at a home prelim final. I'd take it every day of the week over finishing 5-8th.
If you think we can beat Penrith in 2 weeks time then you are correct. As I said, I believe majority of league enthusiasts would believe that not to be the case right now.
If you genuinely don't believe we can beat Pernith then what's even the point of finishing 5th and getting your two easy wins? We'll just go down in the prelims anyway.

Luckily those of us who DO think we can beat any team on our day want to still finish with every available advantage we can. And if we come fourth and lose to Penrith, we're exactly in the same situation you laid out in Week 2 of the finals, only we have a home game and we know just exactly how far off the pace we are.

I know which one I'd prefer.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

If you dont think we can beat the panthers, wouldnt the best time to play them be when we get a second chance?
Dont delete this GE
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'm so confused by the above conversation I don't even know what country I'm getting kicked out of anymore.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

gergreg wrote: September 21, 2020, 11:39 pm
kona_dream wrote:

Yep, we shouldn't discount the home ground advantage, particularly in finals footy. It is definitely a better option to play Parra at Canberra stadium, or better yet we stick with the Panthers for 60 minutes I think we can genuinely beat them. But back on Parra, despite them looking out of sorts for two months they don't roll over like they used to. You still have to beat them and their defence is still pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Not even 60 minutes, we just need to hang in there until half time and then the referees will "manage us back into the game"
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Looks like all you cowards are going to have to put up with Semi for the semis.

Delicious.