Sharks 13+
7%

Total votes: 15

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: 2020 Rd 20 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by afgtnk »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:39 pm Really looking forward to this.
Keen to see Timoko in space.
Harley as well.

Love Sammy in at halfback.
Don't know much about Cook.

It'd be awesome if we jag a win.
In saying that the Sharks don't look strong at all.

Well played Ricky.
Prepare for a tough run.
Finish 4th then it's a bonus.
Our blokes need a breather before a final push.
Gangerenehsdus furiously taking notes for his 'Haiku's'
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Love it. Absolutely zero **** given by Ricky. This is a very typical move by him. He doesn't care about the eels/tigers game and is just doing what he thinks is best for the side.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:42 pm Incredibly, the first time we will see Adam Cook play in a green jersey will be in first grade. He’s still eligible for Jersey Flegg.

This is his Townsville Blackhawks profile:

Position Hooker
Date of birth July 7, 2001
Born and raised Townsville
Height 179cm
Weight 85kg
Occupation Student
Junior Club Burdekin
Biggest Career Achievement 2019 QLD Emerging Origin Squad, 2018 QLD Schoolboys, NQ Cowboys Development Player

Subloo was very good last year at five eighth, has good size about him. Officially 185cms and 90kgs.
Hang on, we've got a hooker playing fullback?!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote: Gangerenehsdus furiously taking notes for his 'Haiku's'
Come on alphabet, my name’s a real word! And I resent the inverted commas Image

You’re spot on though, when I read that I was thinking it had a very poetic feel.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I tell you what...The kids are going to love this
what an opportunity for them. I think we win this
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

gangrenous wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:49 pm
afgtnk wrote: Gangerenehsdus furiously taking notes for his 'Haiku's'
Come on alphabet, my name’s a real word! And I resent the inverted commas Image

You’re spot on though, when I read that I was thinking it had a very poetic feel.
You're telling me you don't know what an afghdsfgospgsdl;gf is? Seriously?

I'm gonna pour a bubble bath for you, gg
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2020 Rd 20 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:
You're telling me you don't know what an afghdsfgospgsdl;gf is? Seriously?

I'm gonna pour a bubble bath for you, gg
Pfft... of course I know what an afghdsfgospgsdl;gf is... like who doesn’t? I just think you should tell me first to prove that you know... yeah.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

You know when you take a nap and wake up to a dark room and don't know what day it is?
Well I took a nap and now feel like i am in the Twilight Zone.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I just got home.

Is this real ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I admit I don't know Cook, and got his name wrong, but if he is a hooker then I am surprised that Subloo didnt come in as fullback. he has the build for it and I have been impressed by him when I have seen him.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2020 Rd 20 V Sharks: Teams and Previews

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: September 21, 2020, 7:23 pm Elliott Whitehead wants full-strength Canberra Raiders to hunt for Parramatta Eels

Elliott Whitehead wants the Parramatta Eels to hear footsteps. And he wants Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart to run out a full-strength side against Cronulla to ensure they do.

"We want to win. We want to get that win and go into the finals. We want to put a bit of pressure on Parramatta," he said. "If we win and they lose we'll go fourth so we'll be going down there to win. We won't be resting any players that's for sure."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Obvious Smelly didn't get an invite to the team meeting.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

You wonder how much of a laugh they have after the interviews.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

MATCH PREVIEW: Check out The GH's game day preview for the Canberra Raiders' clash with the Cronulla Sharks. Ricky Stuart's team selections have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons in this one! All you need to know: http://ow.ly/szT650BxwZp

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #NRLSharksRaiders
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Imagine EDIT
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I wonder if that was before the decision, or whether they wanted to try and make sure Parra played a full strength side?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Can I just say, I absolutely love this team picked and Stuart’s strategy. Our errors have been high the last few weeks and errors are generally caused from fatigue and tiredness.

This team will allow our key players to rest up and recharge for the finals period.

Go Sticky! Extend that mans contract!
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:42 pm
Colk wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:12 pm I don’t think we will win now but I’m interested to see how some of the young players go; particularly Timoko and HSS.

I think we may have rested a bit too many players and I have question marks over Subloo (don’t remember him from Flegg last year), Medlyn (who was quite good in Flegg last year but also quite small) and Adam Cook at fullback which is an important position. Maybe some others can give some thoughts/info/opinions on Subloo and Cook.

Conversely, if one or more of these kids have a great game then they might give themselves a greater opportunity next year
Incredibly, the first time we will see Adam Cook play in a green jersey will be in first grade. He’s still eligible for Jersey Flegg.

Position Hooker
Height 179cm
Weight 85kg
Occupation Student
Junior Club Burdekin
Biggest Career Achievement 2019 QLD Emerging Origin Squad, 2018 QLD Schoolboys, NQ Cowboys Development Player

Subloo was very good last year at five eighth, has good size about him. Officially 185cms and 90kgs.
Wow his profile reads well - Emerging Origin side suggests he has a few raps.

Couple of things

Would he our youngest debutant for a while? I think Wighton was about the same age when he debuted but I can’t recall many others who have been under 20 and debuted?
85kgs for a fullback is very small - hope he has some pace!
Normal position is hooker so if they are playing him at fullback must mean he has some utility value and football smarts
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Stick, Cappy, Betty, Matt Ford and Kenny Rogers should rest as well.

I'll coach the boys this weekend..and I'll need assistants.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: September 22, 2020, 4:13 pm As for the integrity of the game, lets start with TPA and the general salary cap loopholes that impact every game, every week, every year, and then work our way down to playing kids in dead rubber games
The inequities in the draw/travel and in television broadcasting coverage would be a lot higher on the list too. To start with, the first of those is a key reason for the Raiders resting players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm really excited for this game after seeing the team. That video of the young guys getting so excited by their debuts is so sweet. I really think this will be a fun game to watch and maybe the lads will be so hyped they pull it off. In which case, the whole team will be extra pumped for week 1 of the finals.

I also think it's a bit better to finish 5th at this point. Week 1 Sharks at home, we roll them, then Week 2 possibly Parra, who I also think we can roll. The physical toll of playing Penrith could be really rough, especially if we lose and have to play week 2.

On the flip side, of course, coming 4th gives us the chance to earn a week off and a home prelim like last year. So I can see that argument as well.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Colk wrote:
greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:42 pm
Colk wrote: September 22, 2020, 6:12 pm I don’t think we will win now but I’m interested to see how some of the young players go; particularly Timoko and HSS.

I think we may have rested a bit too many players and I have question marks over Subloo (don’t remember him from Flegg last year), Medlyn (who was quite good in Flegg last year but also quite small) and Adam Cook at fullback which is an important position. Maybe some others can give some thoughts/info/opinions on Subloo and Cook.

Conversely, if one or more of these kids have a great game then they might give themselves a greater opportunity next year
Incredibly, the first time we will see Adam Cook play in a green jersey will be in first grade. He’s still eligible for Jersey Flegg.

Position Hooker
Height 179cm
Weight 85kg
Occupation Student
Junior Club Burdekin

Wow his profile reads well - Emerging Origin side suggests he has a few raps.

Couple of things

Would he our youngest debutant for a while? I think Wighton was about the same age when he debuted but I can’t recall many others who have been under 20 and debuted?
85kgs for a fullback is very small - hope he has some pace!
Normal position is hooker so if they are playing him at fullback must mean he has some utility value and football smarts
He was playing primarily at fullback for the Blackhawks in his last season there.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2020, 7:28 pm
Botman wrote: September 22, 2020, 4:13 pm As for the integrity of the game, lets start with TPA and the general salary cap loopholes that impact every game, every week, every year, and then work our way down to playing kids in dead rubber games
The inequities in the draw/travel and in television broadcasting coverage would be a lot higher on the list too. To start with, the first of those is a key reason for the Raiders resting players.

100% agree.
Also the "integrity of the game" argument would say every game is important if you want to maintain integrity of the game, once you devalue one game, you devalue them all, and the NRL clearly dont give a **** about that since they are have for a long time trialled rule changes and what not in actual NRL games and treat them as a means for experimentation.

Na, this integrity argument doesnt wash with me
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Belcher#1 wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:44 pm
RedRaider wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:26 pm Don't Sportsbet provide tens of millions of dollars to the NRL for something called 'wagering and sponsorship'. V'landys will not like like this and I reckon he will see it as a stunt. The Panthers are guaranteed first place and they have not gone down this track, naming their star 6, 7 and 9. Storm have rested Cameron Smith and a number from their backline but nothing like the Raiders. To be honest, I'm disappointed the Raiders have done this. Sticky has built a 'tough but fair' culture here and I don't see this as part of that. I wonder how many beers it took for this to seem like a good idea.
why would sportsbet be upset with the team Canberra name? They just take the market of their books, have their traders calculate the new odds and line then put the market back up. Happens all the time
It's about Clubs not putting the best possible team on the field in a Competition match. I don't see Vlandys or the codes major sponsors being happy about it. If you were running a major sponsorship and tipping millions into a competitive market I reckon you'd want the best available players on the park each week of the competition. In a recession where sponsorship dollars are at a premium I don't think it's a good decision by our Club.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

2020 is going to be remembered for “pouring a bubble bath” and “champ”.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

RedRaider wrote: September 22, 2020, 7:31 pm
RedRaider wrote: September 22, 2020, 5:26 pm Don't Sportsbet provide tens of millions of dollars to the NRL for something called 'wagering and sponsorship'. V'landys will not like like this and I reckon he will see it as a stunt. The Panthers are guaranteed first place and they have not gone down this track, naming their star 6, 7 and 9. Storm have rested Cameron Smith and a number from their backline but nothing like the Raiders. To be honest, I'm disappointed the Raiders have done this. Sticky has built a 'tough but fair' culture here and I don't see this as part of that. I wonder how many beers it took for this to seem like a good idea.
why would sportsbet be upset with the team Canberra name? They just take the market of their books, have their traders calculate the new odds and line then put the market back up. Happens all the time
It's about Clubs not putting the best possible team on the field in a Competition match. I don't see Vlandys or the codes major sponsors being happy about it. If you were running a major sponsorship and tipping millions into a competitive market I reckon you'd want the best available players on the park each week of the competition. In a recession where sponsorship dollars are at a premium I don't think it's a good decision by our Club.
fox and nine can have a whinge but sportsbet wouldn't care.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

WOW. I was shocked when I saw the side. But the more I think about it, the more I like it.

It is an aggressive play that makes the statement that we plan to win the comp, and we accept our path to doing it. This guarantees us a week off (that Parra won't get). And as a bonus it puts guys like Hudson, Starling/Havili, Sutton, and Semi in the role of senior players for a week. This is great for them prior to semis.

I like it. I think it shortens our odds of winning the comp. And there is still the miracle chance that we get 4th, and if so that is a bonus. We are then rested going in against the riff
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: September 22, 2020, 7:31 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2020, 7:28 pm

100% agree.
Also the "integrity of the game" argument would say every game is important if you want to maintain integrity of the game, once you devalue one game, you devalue them all, and the NRL clearly dont give a **** about that since they are have for a long time trialled rule changes and what not in actual NRL games and treat them as a means for experimentation.

Na, this integrity argument doesnt wash with me
Paul Kent was complaining about it vehemently on NRL 360, because of the impact resting players has on Channel 9 and Fox, who pay a lot of money! For a start... Channel 9 refuses to cover the Raiders! I might have some concern for Fox... but it is not like they give all teams equal coverage on their programs either. In any case it's one game and it is rare.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart rings changes ahead of Cronulla Sharks clash

Ricky Stuart will rest a hefty chunk of his exhausted playing squad in Saturday's final-round clash with

"They're really keen kids and they really have confidence in their own ability," Sam Williams said. "Cooky is a real livewire and he's got a lot of skill. Darby's a worker, he's a tough country kid and he puts his head into everything so that's really good and Subsy can cover a number of positions so it'll be interesting to see how we use him."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Stuart announces four players to make Raiders debut: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... ers-debut/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I reckon the biggest news this week is BJ Leilua being dropped for the powerhouse centre combo of Chris Lawrence and Tommy Talau. Yikes.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

RedRaider wrote: September 22, 2020, 7:31 pm
Winning the comp (or even making the prelim) will be pretty good for sponsorship dollars. You plot a path to win the title, not the last round game. This happens is codes all around the world. Can you imagine anyone whinging about this when teams rest stars in the World Cup (soccer) after they have already qualified for the knock out stages. Blokes even strategically get yellow cards so they their tally wiped and get to sit out a game out at the right time.

And it is not relevant to us what channel 9 or NRL think.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

RedRaider wrote:
I work for a company which sponsors another NRL club and I can say that the sponsors would not be to concerned. The NRL clubs have been very good to there sponsors this year, deferring payment obligations to 2021, increasing exposure where they can and going above and beyond during this tough year. We actually got increased exposure in the end as TV viewership rose by 21%! The return this year has been good.

We know as sponsors the longer into the finals series they go, the better exposure we will get for next year for free-2-air games and the like. Finally the last round of the season is generally a non event unless a team is fighting for a top 8 position. So resting players with the strategy to go deeper into the finals we like in this circumstance.

So Club sponsors would not be to concerned probably just Fox Sports, channel nine, Daily Telegraph and Telstra!

Last edited by LastRaider on September 22, 2020, 8:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 22, 2020, 8:07 pm I reckon the biggest news this week is BJ Leilua being dropped for the powerhouse centre combo of Chris Lawrence and Tommy Talau. Yikes.
And StGeorge finally drop Stink and Stinkmore.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote: Paul Kent was complaining about it vehemently on NRL 360, because of the impact resting players has on Channel 9 and Fox, who pay a lot of money! For a start... Channel 9 refuses to cover the Raiders! I might have some concern for Fox... but it is not like they give all teams equal coverage on their programs either. In any case it's one game and it is rare.
Agreed, and I’m actually way more excited to watch this game than last round too!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

WAY more excited.
Haha, this is going to be **** great... I've been waiting my whole life to see Sammy lead Cookie, Darbs, Sublooy, Frawls and co to a famous Raiders victory.

LFG boys!!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Hingano didn’t get a start?