2020 Rd 19 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Rd 19 V Warriors: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors
Sunday 20 September 2:00pm
Canberra Stadium
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Showers. 🌦 Cloudy. Very high (90 per cent) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. Light winds becoming north to northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the morning then tending north to northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h in the middle of the day. Chance of any rain: 90 per cent. Possible rainfall: 6 to 15 mm. Min 12 Max 19

The Raiders play their final home game of the regular season this Sunday against the New Zealand Warriors.

Last round: 2020 Round 18. Canberra Raiders 37 - St George Illawarra Dragons 8. It was a comprehensive victory for the Raiders at Wollongong, their biggest ever margin against St George Illawarra. The Dragons were held scoreless in the second half, while the Raiders crossed four times.

More on Round 18: As I saw it

Team news: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has decided to start Siliva Havili at hooker, with Tom Starling going back to the bench. Starling has started the past couple of weeks, but the coach has returned to the winning formula of Havili taking the early hits and Starling coming on when the opposition forwards tire. Dunamis Lui has also been named at starting prop, with Ryan Sutton on the bench. Sia Soliola (facial fracture) has been named on the extended bench, but Curtis Scott (leg) will be given further time in rehabilitation.

Warriors forward Jamayne Taunoa-Brown has been suspended for this match, after pleading guilty to a grade two dangerous contact charge. Lachlan Burr replaces him at starting prop. The Warriors have also lost the services of Eels loan players Daniel Alvaro and George Jennings, who have returned to Parramatta. Hayze Perham moves to the wing, replacing Jennings, while Adam Keighran comes in at centre. Eliesa Katoa and dubtant Tom Ale are inclusions on the bench. The Warriors have named Peter Hiku at starting centre. He will need to pass concussion protocols after leaving the field late in the match against the Sharks.

Late changes: Sam Williams and Sia Soliola dropped out of the Canberra Raiders squad on Saturday afternoon, with Matt Frawley and Matt Timoko remaining on the extended bench. Eliesa Katoa (hand) and Rocco Berry were omitted from the Warriors squad.

History: Canberra has won 23 of 43 games played against the Warriors. The Raiders have won two of the past five matches between the clubs - but six of the last 10. In Round 20 last year, Canberra came away with the competition points, winning 46-12 in Auckland. However, the Warriors got the victory in Round 25 at Canberra Stadium, after the Raiders had already secured a top four finish and rested some of their star players. The Raiders defeated the Warriors, 20-6, in the Auckland club's "home" match at Robina on the Gold Coast - just prior to the suspension of the season. The Raiders have won 12 of the 18 games played between the clubs at Canberra Stadium.

2020 Round 2 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

2019 Round 25 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

2019 Round 20 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

2018 Round 25 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

2018 Round 3 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

Form: Raiders: WWWLW
Warriors: LWWLL

The Warriors lost 22-14 to the Sharks at Kogarah in their last outing, a match only secured by the Sharks in the final 10 minutes. The Warriors have also had two other recent losses to top eight teams - the Panthers (18-12) and the Eels (24-18) - but defeated the Knights, 36-6. The Raiders have only one recent loss - to the Roosters in the second Grand Final re-match (18-6). In their past five games, the Green Machine has had wins over the Broncos (36-8), Titans (36-16), Bulldogs (34-20) and Dragons (37-8).

Betting: The Raiders are $1.15 favourites, while the Warriors are paying $7.00. The Warriors have 15.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: This is a battle between fifth (Raiders) and eleventh (Warriors) on the ladder. The Raiders can finish as high as third, but unless the Roosters or Eels stumble, it's more likely they'll finish in fifth. The Raiders must win their final two games against the Warriors and Sharks to ensure that. The Warriors finals hopes were extinguished last weekend.

The Raiders' attacking record in 2020 has improved, scoring six tries in four of their past five games. But in their only clash against a top four team - the Roosters - they could only cross once. They sit in eighth place for most tries scored (65) - but that's still well ahead of the Warriors (13th, 51 tries). The Warriors might not have a lot of points in them, but they do rank above the Raiders for running metres gained, kick return metres and post contact metres. The Warriors are a bit more expansive in attack than the Raiders, ranking third for offloads (Raiders 11th).

The Raiders clearly have the better defensive record, ranked fifth for tries conceded (Warriors 11th). The Warriors have conceded 26 more tries than the Raiders - and rank fourth for missed tackles. However, their ineffective tackle rate is fairly good, and their tackle efficiency percentage isn't far behind the Raiders.

The Warriors rank third in the competition for penalties conceded (Raiders eighth). But the Raiders will need to watch their discipline in the rucks in this game. Only the Sea Eagles have conceded more set restarts than the Raiders (74, Warriors 62), while only the Knights have been awarded more set restarts than the Warriors (70, Raiders 66).

2020 Season record: Raiders 12 and 6 (5th, +106)
Warriors 7 and 11 (11th, -115)

Attack: Raiders 21 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked 8th on tries scored
Warriors 16 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 13th on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 15 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked 5th on tries conceded
Warriors 22 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked 11th on tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 51 per cent, Warriors 49 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 79 per cent, Warriors 80 per cent

Running: Raiders 1672 running metres from 187 runs (14 dummy half runs), 166 kick return metres, 552 post contact metres per match
Warriors 1686 running metres from 184 runs (11 dummy half runs), 172 kick return metres, 610 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 31, Warriors 25 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Warriors 3 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Warriors 2 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 2, Warriors 2 per match

Offloads: Raiders 8, Warriors 10 per match

Kicking: Raiders 625 kicking metres from 22 kicks per match
Warriors 544 kicking metres from 21 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 358 made, 27 missed, 13 ineffective per match, 90 per cent tackle efficiency
Warriors 364 made, 31 missed, 14 ineffective per match, 89 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1449, Warriors 1490 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 11, Warriors 10 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 5, Warriors 6 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 5, Warriors 6 per match

Set re-starts conceded: Raiders 5, Warriors 4 per match

Set re-starts awarded: Raiders 4, Warriors 4 per match

Key match-ups:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Raiders fullback, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad looks on Warriors captain, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck as a mentor - from the days when CNK was a young Warrior. Tuivasa-Sheck was the 2018 Dally M Medalist, and is still ranked highly by his peers. He was voted third best fullback in the competition in the 2020 Players' Poll, behind James Tedesco and Tom Trbojevic. In 2020, RTS has scored five tries and produced three try assists, seven line breaks, 79 tackle breaks and 222 running metres per game. The Raiders' No. 1 compares pretty well. He has seven tries, three try assists, three line breaks, 63 tackle breaks and averaged 178 running metres per game.

George Williams and Chanel Harris-Tavita The Raiders' latest English recruit, half George Williams, has had a great start to his NRL career. He's played every game of 2020, scoring four tries and producing 12 try assists, four line break assists, 11 offloads and 15 forced line drop outs. He's got a great short kicking game, but has still averaged 242 kicking metres. Channel Harris-Tavita is still a young player, having made his debut last year. He's made 24 NRL appearances, with 11 so far this season - due to a mix of form and injury. He's spent the past five weeks in the No. 7 jersey, after starting the year at five eighth. He's scored two tries and delivered two try assists, two line break assists, four offloads and six forced line drop outs. He's averaged just 156 kicking metres. Williams runs more (73 metres per game, compared with 43 for Harris-Tavita) has the better defence (tackle efficiency of 87 per cent, 83 per cent for Harris-Tavita). Williams wins this match-up for mine.

Joe Tapine and Jazz Tevaga Jazz Tevaga has been one of the Warriors' best since coming back from injury, having played every game at lock in the second half of the season. in 10 appearances, he's scored one try and made 24 offloads and 22 tackle breaks. He's averaged 136 running metres, 57 post contact metres and 36 tackles per game. Joe Tapine is currently in career best form for the Raiders, having stepped up to cover the loss of a number of key middle forwards. In 2020, he's scored two tries and made 28 offloads and 32 tackle breaks. He's averaging 121 running metres, 47 post contact metres and 30 tackles per game. Should be a good contest.

Our tip: The Raiders are warm favourites in this game and they deserve to be. The Warriors' interim coach Todd Payten has done a remarkable job with a squad that has been cobbled together. They have had to set up camp on the Central Coast since the resumption of the season because of COVID travel restrictions. They have had to get by without star players like David Fusitu'a and Ken Maumalo, who've been given compassionate leave so they could return home. They have been significantly affected by injury, and have depended on player loans from other clubs. Coach Stephen Kearney was sacked in June. Since then, Payten has somehow built a competitive outfit. Though they now cannot make the finals, I expect they will want to finish the season on a strong note. What better way than to beat one of the contenders? So for Canberra, it is another danger game. However, if the the Raiders play to their potential, they should be too strong. Raiders by 12.

What they're saying:

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: "Our middles have been our backbone all year. There are so many of those guys there, that have taken extra workload on because of the players that we've got sitting on the sideline. We've got a number of great players who can make the first 13, the 17, all sitting in the rehab group. Those guys in the middle have all had to take extra responsibility and workload, and I'm proud how they've actually done that without looking sideways. They've taken the bit and they're really the backbone of the team at the moment."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Semi Valemi
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Jordan Rapana
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Siliva Havili
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Hudson Young
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

18. Sam Williams
19. Matt Frawley

Injury/Suspension

Curtis Scott, Leg (Rd 20)
Michael Oldfield, Thumb (Rd 20)
Corey Horsburgh, Foot (Indefinite, possibly season)
Emre Guler, Ankle (Indefinite, likely season)
Bailey Simonsson, Shoulder (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)
Andre Niko, Knee (Season)
Sebastian Kris, Extended sick leave

New Zealand Warriors

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Adam Pompey
3. Adam Keighran
4. Peta Hiku
5. Hayze Perham
6. Kodi Nikorima
7. Chanel Harris-Tavita
8. Lachlan Burr
9. Karl Lawton
10. Isaiah Papali'i
11. Jack Murchie
12. Tohu Harris
13. Jazz Tevaga

14. Wayde Egan
15. Adam Blair
17. Tom Ale
18. Josh Curran

20. Paul Turner
21. Gerard Beale

Officials

Referee: Chris Sutton
Touch judges: Drew Oultram, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Video referee: Steve Clark

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersWarriors

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2020 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Rd 18 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

UPDATED MATCH PREVIEW: Sam Williams and Sia Soliola have dropped out of the Canberra Raiders squad to face the Warriors tomorrow. Updated teams, weather, odds and more: http://ow.ly/EA1A50BvkTF #NRL #WeAreRaiders
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!! Love the Raiders💚💚
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Game Day!

How's the weather looking down in Canberra today? I was keen to get to the game today as I haven't been able to get to one this year as yet. With three young children I don't want to be driving them back to Sydney soaking wet does the weather forecast look accurate at this stage it says rain throughout the day.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

How's this timeslot Nickman ?

Does it suit your lifestyle better ?

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Fire up Raiders! Revenge for rd 25 last year !
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raidersteve wrote:Game Day!

How's the weather looking down in Canberra today? I was keen to get to the game today as I haven't been able to get to one this year as yet. With three young children I don't want to be driving them back to Sydney soaking wet does the weather forecast look accurate at this stage it says rain throughout the day.

We’ve had 10mm overnight of the forecast 10-20mm. Could pass by lunchtime or early afternoon though.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Raidersteve wrote: September 20, 2020, 7:11 am Game Day!

We definitely had plenty of rain overnight. I'm in Gungahlin and it's not raining now, but it's still pretty grey and overcast so it might rain again.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

raiderskater wrote: September 20, 2020, 9:57 am
Raidersteve wrote: September 20, 2020, 7:11 am Game Day!

We definitely had plenty of rain overnight. I'm in Gungahlin and it's not raining now, but it's still pretty grey and overcast so it might rain again.
If it does, the weather radar suggests there’s not much more coming.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Not sure that one can just decide on gameday to attend a game with the family. Last home game it didn't appear that the ticket office was open, but I guess you may be able to buy online still. Noting also you may have already bought tickets online. It will be a wet track though.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Raining in Gungahlin now.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Raining at 2284.

Just sayin..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's belting down in Bruce currently

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today’s Round 19 NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and New Zealand Warriors. The Raiders are 1-17. As usual Tohu Harris moves into the middle. Here are the final squads:

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Semi Valemi
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Jordan Rapana
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Siliva Havili
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Hudson Young
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

New Zealand Warriors

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Adam Pompey
3. Adam Keighran
4. Peta Hiku
5. Hayze Perham
6. Kodi Nikorima
7. Chanel Harris-Tavita
8. Lachlan Burr
9. Karl Lawton
12. Tohu Harris
10. Isaiah Papali'i
11. Jack Murchie
13. Jazz Tevaga

14. Wayde Egan
15. Adam Blair
17. Tom Ale
18. Josh Curran
The Greenhouse score update service
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

-PJ- wrote:How's this timeslot Nickman ?

#bleedgreen
This could be the perfect time for everyone. Nickman can still go to the pub, get blind, sleep it off and still have time for a bacon and egg roll before it’s time for a beer and the pregame show.

Good time slot for families and watching the game with kids without getting in the way of meal or bed times.

No doubt someone hates it though.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Do you guys reckon a seat cushion will be all right? Just a lil foam thing. Seats will be wet.

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Seat cushion is fine, you just need to carry it . Can't be in a bag
Vaccinated
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

pickles wrote:
-PJ- wrote:How's this timeslot Nickman ?

#bleedgreen
This could be the perfect time for everyone. Nickman can still go to the pub, get blind, sleep it off and still have time for a bacon and egg roll before it’s time for a beer and the pregame show.

Good time slot for families and watching the game with kids without getting in the way of meal or bed times.

No doubt someone hates it though.
I hate it

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Canberra Raiders are out on the field for the warm up. the Warriors have been out there for 10 minutes already... longest ever warmup!
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Warriors finish their warm up a full 15 minutes before kick off.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Listening to Stuart is beyond nauseating.

Ahhhh...ahhhh....ahhh...ahhh

People who speak like this, ****.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Looks like it’s going to rain right on kickoff
Motiv8dan
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by Motiv8dan »

Let's see if we can get an all round performance today, I hope we don't do the usual and wait to play 20 mins in after the warriors score first......
One day the Raiders and the Cats win the same year and make my head explode!!
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Viking Clap... Warriors kick off... we are underway!
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Brandy on fox..sheesh :thumbsdown
Motiv8dan
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Motiv8dan »

I see Val got another run on the wing, good first take of the bomb
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Another sloppy start
Motiv8dan
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Motiv8dan »

Sigh, 6 more, here we go
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

They march right up the field, we battle to make 40 metres. Story of much of the season
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

NRL is beyond amateur.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

8th min PENALTY WARRIORS for crowding. Slow start for Canberra again. Kicking game not delivering territory consistently.

George Williams for an HIA. Hudson Young on.
Last edited by The Greenhouse on September 20, 2020, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Stone cold drop
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Not a surprise they're getting all the calls early

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk