Re: 2020 Rd 18 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

Good teams find a way to win games like this even when they don’t play well

We’re a good team
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:Good teams find a way to win games like this even when they don’t play well

We’re a good team
It's pretty amazing. We haven't really played all that well all year, but are comfortably 5th. Hopefully we have another gear, we'll need it for 3 of the Top 4 teams.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

How can you have Oldy play, No game time for how long? Scott maybe a leg fracture? Looks like Semi for me,no choice I'm afraid.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, for me Semi plays unless Scott is back

But then, I’ve never been so against him as seemingly most of the forum used to be
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Thomas Raider wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:00 pm Smelliot is just a awesome player,man of the match for sure
He was MOTM at the ground.

Well...a win's a win but flipping heck that was ugly AF. It was also very brutal and I am very worried about a lot of our guys after that.

Whitehead was outstanding. Thrown into a disaster situation - Williams HIA'd off, Croker HIA'd off, Wighton sin-binned - and just went on with it. Belted so hard he threw up and kept coming back for more. I would swear my heart stopped when he was down. He's an incredible asset to our team, losing him would be a disaster.

Still want to know why RTS wasn't also HIA'd since it was his head Croker headclashed with when scoring that try. Seems silly not to have both of them checked out...especially the one who wasn't wearing headgear.

Semi was excellent today. Yes, still a few moments, but he's young, there's no reserve grade, it's going to happen. He seemed a lot more confident and he and Croker seemed to be communicating a lot better, so that's good news.

Wasn't thrilled with Cotric. Didn't seem as dangerous, didn't seem to be making as many good runs, just was absent. Equally, I actually thought Papa had a quiet game today. Maybe the standard for him is just so high now.

Hudson Young did very very well, and I absolutely love this redemption arc he's on. Tapine was also just great. Kept plowing on no matter what was going on. Another good game as well for Lui too.

Jack had...well, a Jack day. I think he got overwhelmed by Williams' absence and just panicked a bit.

At least we got an answer to one question: who is captain when Croker is off? Answer: Whitehead, apparently. We still don't know who kicks, but let's not find out, eh?

I'd also like to know how the hell that blatant, late shoulder charge wasn't a bin.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:06 pm And I got great satisfaction out of seeing Semi's try scoring celebrations.

Very happy for Semi..
Yeah, that was really good to see. Other than that spilt ball (from a pretty tricky hitup pass), he was great out there. Certainly doesn't shirk the physical contact.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Good thinking Nickman :lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:17 pm
-PJ- wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:06 pm And I got great satisfaction out of seeing Semi's try scoring celebrations.

Very happy for Semi..
Yeah, that was really good to see. Other than that spilt ball (from a pretty tricky hitup pass), he was great out there. Certainly doesn't shirk the physical contact.
He showed some good pace as well.

Very upright and smooth..he glud across the turf..

Once again..go Semi.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:12 pm Yeah, for me Semi plays unless Scott is back

But then, I’ve never been so against him as seemingly most of the forum used to be
No one is against him.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

raiderskater wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:14 pm
Thomas Raider wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:00 pm Smelliot is just a awesome player,man of the match for sure
He was MOTM at the ground.

Well...a win's a win but flipping heck that was ugly AF. It was also very brutal and I am very worried about a lot of our guys after that.

Whitehead was outstanding. Thrown into a disaster situation - Williams HIA'd off, Croker HIA'd off, Wighton sin-binned - and just went on with it. Belted so hard he threw up and kept coming back for more. I would swear my heart stopped when he was down. He's an incredible asset to our team, losing him would be a disaster.

Still want to know why RTS wasn't also HIA'd since it was his head Croker headclashed with when scoring that try. Seems silly not to have both of them checked out...especially the one who wasn't wearing headgear.

Semi was excellent today. Yes, still a few moments, but he's young, there's no reserve grade, it's going to happen. He seemed a lot more confident and he and Croker seemed to be communicating a lot better, so that's good news.

Wasn't thrilled with Cotric. Didn't seem as dangerous, didn't seem to be making as many good runs, just was absent. Equally, I actually thought Papa had a quiet game today. Maybe the standard for him is just so high now.

Hudson Young did very very well, and I absolutely love this redemption arc he's on. Tapine was also just great. Kept plowing on no matter what was going on. Another good game as well for Lui too.

Jack had...well, a Jack day. I think he got overwhelmed by Williams' absence and just panicked a bit.

At least we got an answer to one question: who is captain when Croker is off? Answer: Whitehead, apparently. We still don't know who kicks, but let's not find out, eh?

I'd also like to know how the hell that blatant, late shoulder charge wasn't a bin.
Yeah, I think you're right about Wighton. He did get a bit overwhelmed without Williams, but he was still all effort.

Whitehead did such a great job out there. Probably pushed a couple of unnecessary passes, but just slotted into the role with no dramas. We are so lucky to have him.

Still, we really need Williams back and firing in the finals. I'm not sure we get the same result against a top 4 team with Wighton and Whitehead in the halves.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on September 20, 2020, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I'll say this, the bunker was correct on last two captain's challenges despite the commentators and the plethora of social media comments otherwise. Voss and Brandy were losing the plot towards the end
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:24 pm I'll say this, the bunker was correct on last two captain's challenges despite the commentators and the plethora of social media comments otherwise. Voss and Brandy were losing the plot towards the end
I can agree that in spirit that call against Rapana wasn’t worthy of a penalty, but it’s a dangerous action that clearly struck the player
And the warriors player contested the ball

On what grounds do you say they got it correct?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2020 Rd 18 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:
The Nickman wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:12 pm Yeah, for me Semi plays unless Scott is back

No one is against him.
Bit defensive aren’t we? Nobody said anyone was against him
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:28 pm
Botman wrote:

No one is against him.
A clumsily laid trap there and I am not remotely drunk enough to fall into it
I bid good day to you sir
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Wow Ricky sounded filthy in the presser. Fair enough too. Not our best performance. Also with the refs.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Just watched the Ricky interview. I agree. Graham Annesley should get the sack. Standard of refereeing has never been lower in the game. The bunker is atrocious. 6 again is a lottery and inconsistently applied. Annesley should be held accountable.

I recall the Canterbury no obstruction and Annesley didn't even bother to highlight it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:
The Nickman wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:28 pm
Botman wrote:

No one is against him.
A clumsily laid trap there and I am not remotely drunk enough to fall into it
I bid good day to you sir
Oh Kent, I’d be lying if I said my men weren’t committing any crimes
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Botman wrote: September 20, 2020, 3:54 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 20, 2020, 3:52 pm Excellent from CHN. Exactly why we bought him
Yep, that’s how he’s going to make his bones for us
Hitting holes and offloading
Isn't that why the Doggies let him go?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:24 pm I'll say this, the bunker was correct on last two captain's challenges despite the commentators and the plethora of social media comments otherwise. Voss and Brandy were losing the plot towards the end
I can agree that in spirit that call against Rapana wasn’t worthy of a penalty, but it’s a dangerous action that clearly struck the player
And the warriors player contested the ball

On what grounds do you say they got it correct?
I was good on the croker one, pompey dropped his arms and made contact. Rapana one wasn't really worthy of a penalty but he clearly made contact

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

MrPosh wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:41 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 20, 2020, 3:52 pm Excellent from CHN. Exactly why we bought him
Boooooooooom :roflmao
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Outstanding
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Rick will cop 10k for that. Telling the truth to the chancers and frauds running the NRL is a costly business
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:04 pm
PRESS CONFERENCE: Ricky Stuart: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... onference/
Almost totally agree with everything Stuart says there. He's right to be furious. Can anyone explain to me how we can legitimately lose the penalty count 7-1 in the first half and then end up with 9-8 count at full time after playing the exact same style of football in the second half?

Don't get me wrong, the Warriors gave away some pretty obvious penalties in that second half and the count deserved to be almost squared up by the end of the game, but the 7 penalties against us in the first, including sin bin against Wighton on nothing more than suspicion, is an absolute joke.

I'm not sure what Chris Sutton was drinking before the game, but it certainly wasn't performance enhancing. Just terrible from a first grade referee.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He's only got a gig cause his brothers are high up

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: :lol:
Nailed it
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Botman wrote: September 20, 2020, 4:24 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 20, 2020, 4:19 pm
Botman wrote: September 20, 2020, 4:17 pm Can’t agree there
I thought Hudson Young was well deserving of the comments
He was a constant threat in the middle and very active defensively
Eight runs in 74 minutes can't be considered good from a middle, no matter who it is. Same defensive load as Sutton and Tapine who played less minutes.
He had a clean line break and should have set up a try, and had another couple of half breaks. To me the guy looked like he was threatening to split them every time

Stats or no stats i thought he looked great

Careful questioning the expert there, he does know all about the game...and players.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:09 pm
The Nickman wrote:Good teams find a way to win games like this even when they don’t play well

We’re a good team
It's pretty amazing. We haven't really played all that well all year, but are comfortably 5th. Hopefully we have another gear, we'll need it for 3 of the Top 4 teams.
Yep Doc, hopefully we are practicing some attacking trick shots for the finals. Although today we saw EW go the kick and chase and that came away with a try so that is a variation which came up trumps. The multiple passes from player to player is another which has come to the fore over the past few weeks. I hope to see more of that too.

Speaking of trick shots, I trust your 'On behalf of my wife and myself... ' wedding speech is developing to a climax Nickman.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote:

We’re a good team
Yep Doc, hopefully we are practicing some attacking trick shots for the finals. Although today we saw EW go the kick and chase and that came away with a try so that is a variation which came up trumps. The multiple passes from player to player is another which has come to the fore over the past few weeks. I hope to see more of that too.

Speaking of trick shots, I trust your 'On behalf of my wife and myself... ' wedding speech is developing to a climax Nickman.
Got it down to a tee, Red. I’m basically going to just get up and insult everyone, drop the mic and sit back down

Also, that’s assuming there’s anyone left at the reception after Albi’s speech as MC has offended everyone you could possibly offend
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'He wasn't offside': Stuart fumes over Jack Wighton sin bin

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart was left fuming at referee Chris Sutton's decision to sin bin Jack Wighton in Canberra's scrappy win over the Warriors on Sunday.

"Jack Wighton's sin bin, would've that been the same decision if it was a semi-final? I hope not because he wasn't offside. You can't make that error," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

PRESS CONFERENCE: Ricky Stuart: https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... nce!786648

Bottled-up anger: Stuart sprays ref over sin-binning in win over Warriors

Ricky Stuart launched a water bottle from the coach's box when Jack Wighton was sin-binned against the Warriors and then followed up with a spray for the refs despite Canberra's 26-14 win.

"I don't think it went both ways in regards to what we were getting penalised for," Stuart said. "Jack Wighton's sin bin – would it have been the same decision if it was a semi-final? I hope not, because he wasn't offside. You can't make that error.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/20/sem ... -warriors/

VIDEO: Stuart: Annesley and I are planets apart: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/20/stu ... ets-apart/

Can’t make that error: Frustrated Sticky takes aim at inconsistent calls in sensational spray

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has taken aim at the inconsistent refereeing decisions in his side’s win over the Warriors on Saturday in a sensational spray during his post match press conference.

A visibly frustrated Stuart fronted the media after the win without cracking a single smile despite Canberra’s top-four hopes kept alive with the important win.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6c9a245057

Warriors coach Todd Payten proud of troops after season from hell: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

We’re a good team

Got it down to a tee, Red. I’m basically going to just get up and insult everyone, drop the mic and sit back down

Also, that’s assuming there’s anyone left at the reception after Albi’s speech as MC has offended everyone you could possibly offend
You're actually going to let Albi speak? Good grief.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I've got no issues with what Stuart said, i dont think many of the penalties/restarts were unwarrented in the first half, but they were there for the warriors too and not given 1-7 against us, and then magically we go 6-1 in the second half and nothing had changed, both teams were doing the same ****.

I dont get frustrated by it, i know it comes back around for us but for the coach you can see why it would be concerning, a 7-1 penalty count against us vs the roosters could see the game done and dusted before the square ups come
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 20, 2020, 5:31 pm Just watched the Ricky interview. I agree. Graham Annesley should get the sack. Standard of refereeing has never been lower in the game. The bunker is atrocious. 6 again is a lottery and inconsistently applied. Annesley should be held accountable.

I recall the Canterbury no obstruction and Annesley didn't even bother to highlight it.
I’m glad he finally unloaded.
The 6 again is a lottery and referees are rubbish.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

We’re a good team

You're actually going to let Albi speak? Good grief.
Worst thing is he’ll be speaking first. I suspect after that he’ll get in an awkward scuffle with Erin’s dad and then I’ll be in damage control for the rest of the evening
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

GreenMachine wrote: September 20, 2020, 6:31 pm I’m glad he finally unloaded.
The 6 again is a lottery and referees are rubbish.
I agree 100%.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Why can't I watch the press conference in full without subscribing or joining or uploading.

I've tried Raiders.com, NRL.com and foxsports.com

What's doin ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: