Ideal position on the ladder

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Ideal position on the ladder

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I would say when the finals start there would clearly be one team above all others whom teams would not want to come up against and that is the Roosters.

Outside of them I honestly reckon that not much separates Raiders, Panthers and Storm in being in the next tier of teams you want to avoid.

While the latter two may be better placed than us and better sides at the moment, the Storm have for the last couple years found themselves lacking that highest gear when the whips are cracking. Panthers may just get a shock when they have to play 3 elite sides in a row when things have tightened up in the finals. I think teams would give themselves a chance of upsetting them.

I by no means think we are favourites or anything more than a decent punchers chance, but I think the character in the team means that we will be in the fight up to our eyeballs, and I don't think it would shock anyone to see us march through deep into the finals.
Up The Milk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So..what you're trying to say is

WE ROCK !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

-PJ- wrote: September 15, 2020, 6:43 am @Hong Kong..

The losses to Newcastle and Manly are still burning a hole in me.

Especially when you look at the ladder and see how Manly are travelling..

OUCH !!
Especially the Newcastle game we were full strength coming off a win against Melbourne, favourites for the comp for the first time in 26 years, Hodgson rated best hooker etc.... we were reading our own press and getting a big head. But both games showed our defensive frailties, although Scott was not the only one to blame. And the Manly game - they lost Walker, Parker and Tom T during the game. And w/o Taupau.

But in hindsight we know about Scott and the ordeal he faced and the travel in the beginning must have been tiring with no home games and travelling on the day by bus.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: September 14, 2020, 6:15 pm I can’t see Parramatta losing to either Broncos or Tigers. Think there’s a lot of wishful thinking.
tigers at leichhardt for benjis last game, no pressure of playing for 8th with 9th already locked in the bag it could happen.

The tigers always come home strong, just need to stay with parra for the first 60 mins.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 15, 2020, 8:49 am

OUCH !!
Especially the Newcastle game we were full strength coming off a win against Melbourne, favourites for the comp for the first time in 26 years, Hodgson rated best hooker etc.... we were reading our own press and getting a big head. But both games showed our defensive frailties, although Scott was not the only one to blame. And the Manly game - they lost Walker, Parker and Tom T during the game. And w/o Taupau.

But in hindsight we know about Scott and the ordeal he faced and the travel in the beginning must have been tiring with no home games and travelling on the day by bus.
I prefer the expression "sniffing our own farts".
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 15, 2020, 8:49 am

OUCH !!

Knights game we were flat as a tack while they played very well. Could have been some let down after being so good the week prior. Not much excuse to be offered though.

I'm somewhat more forgiving of the Manly loss. We can't forget our 'home' games were all in Sydney and this was our 4th consecutive week on the road. Same day travel is the real killer. I don't think we had enough petrol in the tank to take advantage of the situation Manly were in. Also have to give the opposition some credit for galvanising their effort in adversity. They lifted when it mattered.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Top 4 spot always preferable as a second chance available should the first of the finals not go to plan. But 5th is not the end of the World. Home match likely against the Sharks and then the loser of probably Eels v Panthers. Once we are that deep into the finals series anything can happen.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

For some reason I don’t want to play the Knights Week 1 of the Finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Brew wrote: September 15, 2020, 7:25 pm For some reason I don’t want to play the Knights Week 1 of the Finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agee. They've got some experienced big game players and some real young talents. They worry me more than any other 5-8 side, including Rabbits. Almost rather play the Eels at the moment than the Knights who had he wood on us earlier on too.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We'll **** them up.
If you take care of Ponga, they're nothing.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

That's a hell of a lot easier said than done.

Ponga in any sort of decent form would murder our retreating defences, slow line speed, and slow fringes. Need to avoid them in the first week at all costs.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

A lot of teams manage to do it though... He doesnt show up as much as you'd like for the guy you're paying that kind of money too.

The knights dont worry me at all. They're a team that will only beat us if we play incredibly poorly and if we play incredibly poorly, we'd get beat by any of those bottom 3 teams... We have nothing to fear from any of those teams, we dont need to avoid any of them... we handle our business and play good footy and none of those bottom 3 teams will beat us.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I think we're also a lot better than the last time we played any of the 5-8 teams, and better than when we played Parra, Melbourne and Penrith.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

We played Penrith like 2 weeks ago!

Of course we look better beating up on a crap St.George team.

Thread overflowing with wishful thinking...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think we'd be long odds to beat either the roosters or panthers, i think we could beat them... but they'd be rightful favourites

But i do draw the line at fearing the sharks, knights and bunnies... we're better than them all, and all things being equal, we beat those teams 8/10 times.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

IMO the top 3 teams this season are up there because they play like a team. There are some individually very talented players in those sides, like Cleary, Smith and Tedesco who are critical to their performance, but when those teams are firing, nobody overplays their hand.

I think we have enough raw talent to compete with those sides, but we just need guys like Wighton, Williams and Bateman to make the other players around them reach their potential.

That's the difference. Smith, Tedesco and Cleary stand out because they rarely make mistakes, take good options and trust their teammates to do a job. They also have the likes of Munster, Keary and Koroisau as top tier support, but those three teams are striking in the way they almost always work together to get results. I think our team works hard and they play for each other, but we can tend to play as individuals when under the pump.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: September 15, 2020, 9:21 pm I think we'd be long odds to beat either the roosters or panthers, i think we could beat them... but they'd be rightful favourites

But i do draw the line at fearing the sharks, knights and bunnies... we're better than them all, and all things being equal, we beat those teams 8/10 times.
We'd need to be riding a wave of momentum. Which we would be if we got there. Then we actually have more finals footy experience and more hard nuts in the team than Pamfers- a finals match could look a whole lot different. I wouldn't put us favourites but it'd be an in the trenches kind of game.

Roosters in a final- grudge match time. Bloody tough though.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:I think we'd be long odds to beat either the roosters or panthers, i think we could beat them... but they'd be rightful favourites

Yeah agreed, some absolutely ludicrous assertions here. Throw in the Eels too, if we play well we beat them pretty easily too I think based on recent form.

And seriously, if we hit the finals and don’t play well, then it’s all over anyway.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Ideal position on the ladder

Post by The Nickman »

I’d also just like to throw in that there’s no team I fear, I genuinely think we can win this comp if we play at our best and as the great man himself says “to be the best you’ve got to beat the best WOOOOO!!”

My preference is and will always be Top 4 and we play the Panthers first. **** em, knock em over first week of the finals and march to the Prelims!
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

We have to accept we won't be top 4. Parra won't lose a game.
I have a feeling we have more in our game that we haven't shown yet.

We have a chance to go easy the next two weeks with resting players which means a 4 week run is achievable.
We've already shown we can beat Melbourne and Roosters this season, should have beat Parra.
Only loss was Penrith.

I like to think the Canterbury run in 1995 can be repeated by us this year.

The wildcard is Curtis Scott.
Really hoping that now the cloud of the court case is no longer there he can fire.
We've been missing a weapon in the centres all year.
Could be the missing piece.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

It’s a shame that the Raiders game in the last round is just before the eels game and not after. Players from top 8 teams being rested in the last 2 rounds could throw up some unusual results, like Raiders last round in 2019 against the warriors treated like a trial match
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: September 16, 2020, 7:37 am We have to accept we won't be top 4. Parra won't lose a game.
I have a feeling we have more in our game that we haven't shown yet.

We have a chance to go easy the next two weeks with resting players which means a 4 week run is achievable.
We've already shown we can beat Melbourne and Roosters this season, should have beat Parra.
Only loss was Penrith.

I like to think the Canterbury run in 1995 can be repeated by us this year.

The wildcard is Curtis Scott.
Really hoping that now the cloud of the court case is no longer there he can fire.
We've been missing a weapon in the centres all year.
Could be the missing piece.
You can accept it, but I'm not going to.

Let's reconvene in two weeks time and THEN we'll see who has the hardest job!

EDIT: Nice work bringing up Canterbury though, people love to crap on that no team has won from outside the top 4 under this finals system and they're just plain wrong.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I want 4th, but thats no longer in our hands. We need the undermanned Wonkey Donkeys to make their **** smell like roses, OR, rely on the Tigers fate of finishing 9th by jagging a win next wk; both against the Eels.

I do think we can get to a prelim from 5th though.
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

The Nickman wrote:I think our best position is 8th, so we travel Week 1 of the finals and get battle hardened for the wars to come. Also, we then get to play the eels if they lose to Penrith Week 1 of the finals.
Doesn't matter really. We've got no attack, our coach is stubborn, and Croker can't captain

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Raiders member no# 2278.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

tragic wrote: September 17, 2020, 11:11 am
The Nickman wrote:I think our best position is 8th, so we travel Week 1 of the finals and get battle hardened for the wars to come. Also, we then get to play the eels if they lose to Penrith Week 1 of the finals.
Doesn't matter really. We've got no attack, our coach is stubborn, and Croker can't captain

Good point, sledgod. Complete lack of leadership all-round.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:

Less speed than a Blue Light Disco.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

reptar wrote: September 17, 2020, 2:45 pm
The Nickman wrote:

Less speed than a Blue Light Disco.
I like it! Works on a number of levels. :lol:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Im quietly confident we can still make the 4. I reckon there's a Parra loss coming in the next two weeks.
1. Surely the Broncos are due... surely?
2. Tigers will want to send Benji and Chris Lawrence out on a high note.

All we have to do is just keep winning. Just keep winning. Winning, winning..
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 17, 2020, 3:57 pm Im quietly confident we can still make the 4. I reckon there's a Parra loss coming in the next two weeks.
1. Surely the Broncos are due... surely?
2. Tigers will want to send Benji and Chris Lawrence out on a high note.

All we have to do is just keep winning. Just keep winning. Winning, winning..
Broncos are so short they're starting Ben Teo in the forwards this week. So we'll have to pin our hopes on Benji.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Roosters are rightfully the favourites AND the best team this season.
Had Hodgson not been injured, I had a grand final rematch for 2020.
Penrith have had the softest of draws with very little travel.