2020 Rd 19 V Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Rd 19 V Warriors: Teams and Previews

Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors
Sunday 20 September 2:00pm
Canberra Stadium
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3

MATCH PREVIEW: Check out The GH's game day preview for the Canberra Raiders' clash with the New Zealand Warriors! Team news, history, stat attack, key match-ups and more: http://ow.ly/jqC650BqWTL

Who would you like to see line up for the Green Machine in Round 19? Tell us your team here and see how you go in comparison to the official squad when announced. We will include the official line ups in the first post of this thread as soon as they're available.

OFFICIAL SQUADS

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Semi Valemi
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Jordan Rapana
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Siliva Havili
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Hudson Young
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

18. Sam Williams
19. Matt Frawley
20. Matt Timoko
21. Sia Soliola

Injury/Suspension

Curtis Scott, Leg (Rd 20)
Michael Oldfield, Thumb (Rd 20)
Corey Horsburgh, Foot (Indefinite, possibly season)
Emre Guler, Ankle (Indefinite, likely season)
Bailey Simonsson, Shoulder (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)
Andre Niko, Knee (Season)
Sebastian Kris, Extended sick leave

New Zealand Warriors

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Adam Pompey
3. Adam Keighran
4. Peta Hiku
5. Hayze Perham
6. Kodi Nikorima
7. Chanel Harris-Tavita
8. Lachlan Burr
9. Karl Lawton
10. Isaiah Papali'i
11. Jack Murchie
12. Tohu Harris
13. Jazz Tevaga

14. Wayde Egan
15. Adam Blair
16. Eliesa Katoa
17. Tom Ale

18. Josh Curran
20. Paul Turner
21. Gerard Beale
22. Rocco Berry

Officials

Referee: Chris Sutton
Touch judges: Drew Oultram, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Video referee: Steve Clark

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersWarriors

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2020 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 Rd 19 V Warriors: Teams and Previews

Post by RedRaider »

Apparently Sia may get some minutes for next week. Not sure who will miss out. Perhaps EW gets a spell leading into the finals with CHN going to the left edge. If Sia does play he has to take the place of middle forward. Tough call for Sticky.

Next round will be strange for me. I will actually be barracking for the Bronco's against the Eels. Should the Broncos beat the Eels it provides an opportunity for the Raiders to get into the Top 4. Maybe by next week I'll be able to say Go Br.... Bron.... nah can't do it yet.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

In the post-match presser Ricky said that Emre is definitely gone for the year and Corey probably is too. I got the impression that even if they were OK he might not bring them back as forwards coming off long layoffs "blow up easily".

He said he would rotate Sia in next week "to give him some minutes" but I feel like today's team will be the one we see in the finals the way he was talking.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

IBG wrote: September 12, 2020, 5:54 pm In the post-match presser Ricky said that Emre is definitely gone for the year and Corey probably is too. I got the impression that even if they were OK he might not bring them back as forwards coming off long layoffs "blow up easily".

He said he would rotate Sia in next week "to give him some minutes" but I feel like today's team will be the one we see in the finals the way he was talking.
Have to give a huge rap to the guys who stepped up with the absence of those 3. Young, Lui and Sutton been excellent.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

That’s a real shame regarding Emre and Corey. They have massive potential
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

IBG wrote:In the post-match presser Ricky said that Emre is definitely gone for the year and Corey probably is too. I got the impression that even if they were OK he might not bring them back as forwards coming off long layoffs "blow up easily".

He has got to do something about Semi. I like the guy but I sincerely hope we are going to bolster that position. I can just see in the finals a Edrick Lee moment 2.0
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

CNK
Oldfield
Croker
Scott
Rapana
Wighton
G Williams
Papa
Havilli
Sutton
Bateman
CHN
Young

Starling
Liu
Tapine
Sia.. rest Whitehead

Semi
Hss
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

What’s even the point? Our whole team is garbage
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

The Nickman wrote: September 12, 2020, 9:03 pm What’s even the point? Our whole team is garbage
Croker played his best game of the year. He keeps his spot thus week..
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Neeeegz wrote:
The Nickman wrote: September 12, 2020, 9:03 pm What’s even the point? Our whole team is garbage
Croker played his best game of the year. He keeps his spot thus week..
Croker’s absolutely hopeless, did you see when he went out once? Just ludicrous how he was completely lacking in leadership in our embarrassing *checks notes* narrow 37-8 victory over the dragons
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Papalii got a rest today. If the game allows use him the same next week. Rest him from training:

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Scott
5. Rapana
6 Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Starling
10. Sutton
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Havili
15. Young
16. Lui
17. Soliola

18. CHN

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordana Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Hudson Young
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Corey Harawira-Naera
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Sia Soliola

Whitehead looks like he needs a week off but probably won't get it. CHN to share the 2nd row spot with Hudson. Push his minutes up to 40-50. Sutton to play big minutes.
Valemei drops back with Scott returning.
If Scott still isn't back Valemei retains his spot. If Whitehead doesn't get a rest I think CHN drops out for Sia. Stick's got him in a bit of a nothing role at the moment.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

LastRaider wrote: September 12, 2020, 7:28 pm
IBG wrote:In the post-match presser Ricky said that Emre is definitely gone for the year and Corey probably is too. I got the impression that even if they were OK he might not bring them back as forwards coming off long layoffs "blow up easily".

He has got to do something about Semi. I like the guy but I sincerely hope we are going to bolster that position. I can just see in the finals a Edrick Lee moment 2.0
I dunno where the myth that good players never, ever made mistakes even when they were rookies in their sixth game came from. Valemi made three errors today, rookie errors. He over ran the ball carrier once thus bombing a try and twice he failed to use the sideline to best effect in order to prevent their two tries. Minor failings he will be reprimanded for and learn from at training this week, unlikely to repeat them any time soon. Those were his negatives. His positives were impressive to my mind. Crunching defence against developing overlaps, excellent takes of the high ball under severe pressure leading to some meters gained, good to occasionally excellent rucking out of the ball from the defensive zone, high workrate, excellent kick chase work, strong in contact, indications of good speed and footwork. He seems to be a big lump of a lad likely to fill out further, he seems courageous facing contact, and prepared to do the dirty work required of a top class winger these days. Over the 80 minutes I thought he was actually better than the boom boy from the Dragons. To me he seems a definite keeper and likely to develop into a good first grader.
But what would I know.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

zim wrote:1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordana Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Hudson Young
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Corey Harawira-Naera
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Sia Soliola

Whitehead looks like he needs a week off but probably won't get it. CHN to share the 2nd row spot with Hudson. Push his minutes up to 40-50. Sutton to play big minutes.
If Scott still isn't back Valemei retains his spot. If Whitehead doesn't get a rest I think CHN drops out for Sia. Stick's got him in a bit of a nothing role at the moment.
I actually really liked Sticks rotation today.

He was prepping the rotation to bring on Papa, Tapine and CHN all about the same time to crunch the Dragons at the back of the game. For mine, Hudson's form and the scoreline today meant he didn't have to activate that ploy.

CHN isn't a nothing play - he's a strike weapon to be deployed. He won't be the one to get the rest - he needs some more miles before finals. I think Sutton might be the one who gets a spell.

And boy, I much prefer Hudson in the middle. Quick leg speed,

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Was really hoping we could rest one of the halves going into the finals, but it seems that chance won't appear without putting ladder position at risk. I don't see the way we play changing much at all or finding a whole lot more cohesion, so having them fresh to me is more important than trying to find achieve that.

A forward or two we may be able to get away with this game, if it's going to give us that extra edge we need once the regular season is over. Semi came back ok after the first half shocker, but he can't be picked for the rest of the season. It leaves us very vulnerable and doesn't send the right message to the squad RE defensive solidity. Hopefully Oldy is fit.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Butters wrote: September 12, 2020, 11:41 pm
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordana Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Hudson Young
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Corey Harawira-Naera
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Sia Soliola

He was prepping the rotation to bring on Papa, Tapine and CHN all about the same time to crunch the Dragons at the back of the game. For mine, Hudson's form and the scoreline today meant he didn't have to activate that ploy.

CHN isn't a nothing play - he's a strike weapon to be deployed. He won't be the one to get the rest - he needs some more miles before finals. I think Sutton might be the one who gets a spell.

It's absolutely a nothing role because as you said CHN needs minutes. He's played 19mins and 18mins the last 2 weeks. Coming off the bench. Which is usually the guy needing a taste from reserve grade role. In this game the weapon's being deployed after the game is already won.
This would have been a perfectly safe game to get him a good 40mins for some fitness but instead he played the least amount of minutes so far.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

I should clarify regarding "today's team will be the one in the finals" I was referring to the forward pack. I would assume Scott comes in if healthy.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

zim wrote:
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordana Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Hudson Young
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Corey Harawira-Naera
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Sia Soliola

It's absolutely a nothing role because as you said CHN needs minutes. He's played 19mins and 18mins the last 2 weeks. Coming off the bench. Which is usually the guy needing a taste from reserve grade role. In this game the weapon's being deployed after the game is already won.
This would have been a perfectly safe game to get him a good 40mins for some fitness but instead he played the least amount of minutes so far.
He didn't know the game was won at half time though. He is playing his rotation as he sees it in response to how the game is going and the needs at the time.

Look if it was me I would have stuck him on earlier - for his fitness and also for him to demolish the dragons up the middle BUT it's not a nothing role - Rick sees him playing a particular strategic role in the team and that's how he's playing him. Yesterday he didn't feel the need for Papa and didn't need to deploy CHN earlier as Hudson was carving up.

Id guess that Stick sees that as his role for the rest of the year including finals particularly now with Sia (and I reckon Corey it needed back this year). He sees CHN getting up to 30 mins gametime - maybe a little more. If a second rower goes down - Hudson goes back to that role.

I reckon he is conditioning and testing Hudson to play as a middle for 40 mins and stay effective - he chose to continue testing that out yesterday.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Butters on September 13, 2020, 7:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Cranky Old Man wrote: I dunno where the myth that good players never, ever made mistakes even when they were rookies in their sixth game came from. Valemi made three errors today, rookie errors. He over ran the ball carrier once thus bombing a try and twice he failed to use the sideline to best effect in order to prevent their two tries. Minor failings he will be reprimanded for and learn from at training this week, unlikely to repeat them any time soon. Those were his negatives. His positives were impressive to my mind. Crunching defence against developing overlaps, excellent takes of the high ball under severe pressure leading to some meters gained, good to occasionally excellent rucking out of the ball from the defensive zone, high workrate, excellent kick chase work, strong in contact, indications of good speed and footwork. He seems to be a big lump of a lad likely to fill out further, he seems courageous facing contact, and prepared to do the dirty work required of a top class winger these days. Over the 80 minutes I thought he was actually better than the boom boy from the Dragons. To me he seems a definite keeper and likely to develop into a good first grader.
But what would I know.
If it’s early in the season, or the team had missed the finals I’d agree with this and be ok with him continuing to develop to see how he went a bit more. But I think his game is still too raw and we can’t afford to be making the errors he is playing finals.

Also hard to agree that a training session in the week will fix it when he made the same overrun error the week before. I thought he was quite dicey under the high ball too.

I like what I see in potential, but I think there’s too much downside risk in his game for where we are in the season. Having said that, I also think it’s too late to swap another rookie in now. So either Scott comes back in or Valemei stays until the end now.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Curtis Scott will be back soon, I have no idea why people are roasting Semi like he’s going to still be picked for the finals.

Sticky has picked him ahead of Timoko and Smith-Shields, he has a reason for that, get over it, *****
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

There were some very good signs from Valemei. That second defensive lapse was a bit of a terrible read, but he's a rookie that has been thrown in the deep end with practically zero game time this season. IMO he looks the goods. When Rapana came back to the NRL and was dropping bombs, coughing up the ball in hitups and jamming in to take nobody in defence, many fans were losing their ****. I'm sure many recall the nicknames he was given at the time. Two years later he was the best winger in the competition.

So yeah, those errors can be fixed. The raw talent is clearly there.

In saying that, Scott will likely be back this round. Hopefully he's finally in the right headspace to step it up to the next level.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

What a strange year. I can’t believe I will be cheering on the Sharks today and the Broncos next week. We should beat NZ anyway but if they win today they will be playing to move into the top 8 when they play us.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Cranky Old Man wrote:

I dunno where the myth that good players never, ever made mistakes even when they were rookies in their sixth game came from. Valemi made three errors today, rookie errors. He over ran the ball carrier once thus bombing a try and twice he failed to use the sideline to best effect in order to prevent their two tries. Minor failings he will be reprimanded for and learn from at training this week, unlikely to repeat them any time soon. Those were his negatives. His positives were impressive to my mind. Crunching defence against developing overlaps, excellent takes of the high ball under severe pressure leading to some meters gained, good to occasionally excellent rucking out of the ball from the defensive zone, high workrate, excellent kick chase work, strong in contact, indications of good speed and footwork. He seems to be a big lump of a lad likely to fill out further, he seems courageous facing contact, and prepared to do the dirty work required of a top class winger these days. Over the 80 minutes I thought he was actually better than the boom boy from the Dragons. To me he seems a definite keeper and likely to develop into a good first grader.
But what would I know.
Obvousily you missed his previous 4 games
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I’ll be cheering for the broncos next week, but no way I’ll cheer for the sharks.

I don’t care if warriors are playing for a spot in the 8, we still should beat them.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:Curtis Scott will be back soon, I have no idea why people are roasting Semi like he’s going to still be picked for the finals.

Sticky has picked him ahead of Timoko and Smith-Shields, he has a reason for that, get over it, ****
Because who do you think plays if there’s an injury in the backline?

Gosh you’re in your punish mode this weekend.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

For all those wanting to end Semi's career now

Where would we be if Ricky listened to you all snd dropped Jack when he first moved to 5/8th?

Give the kid a go, I'm sure if we watched the first few games of Billy Slater he wasn't a super star then
Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think that’s overstating the view of most people critical of Valemei. I don’t think many people are permanently stamping his papers as “not a first grader”. There is a question about whether he was the right choice in the current circumstances and onfield performances this year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:I think that’s overstating the view of most people critical of Valemei. I don’t think many people are permanently stamping his papers as “not a first grader”. There is a question about whether he was the right choice in the current circumstances and onfield performances this year.
Actually, a lot of people are. That’s the whole reason this discussion is taking place
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Big difference between not being ready for 1st grade yet and never playing ever again.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:I think that’s overstating the view of most people critical of Valemei. I don’t think many people are permanently stamping his papers as “not a first grader”. There is a question about whether he was the right choice in the current circumstances and onfield performances this year.
Actually, a lot of people are. That’s the whole reason this discussion is taking place
Got some quotes from the forum? I don’t recall much beyond questioning why he was selected.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

cat wrote: Where would we be if Ricky listened to you all snd dropped Jack when he first moved to 5/8th?
Also there were far better examples to use than this one, where the coach ultimately did have to stop selecting him in this position at the time because he wasn’t ready for it.

That’s kind of the point of the people you’re arguing with.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: September 13, 2020, 11:19 am Big difference between not being ready for 1st grade yet and never playing ever again.
Exactly.

Semi's just not ready for it right now. It's unfortunate we don't have reserve grade for him to iron out some of the issues, but as it is right now, we can't afford them in FG as a finals bound team.
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

afgtnk wrote: September 13, 2020, 12:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 13, 2020, 11:19 am Big difference between not being ready for 1st grade yet and never playing ever again.
Exactly.

Semi's just not ready for it right now. It's unfortunate we don't have reserve grade for him to iron out some of the issues, but as it is right now, we can't afford them in FG as a finals bound team.

I think I said not ready yet. There is a lot of upside: he looks like he has a good pace and he is robust with his carries and his defence. I think he could become a very good first grade winger.

But he is making some misreads in defence and lacks some confidence under the high ball. That can be ironed out with time and I think it can be but that is dangerous to have that in a finals series
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Butters wrote: September 13, 2020, 7:14 am
zim wrote:
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordana Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Hudson Young
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Corey Harawira-Naera
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Sia Soliola

He didn't know the game was won at half time though. He is playing his rotation as he sees it in response to how the game is going and the needs at the time.

Look if it was me I would have stuck him on earlier - for his fitness and also for him to demolish the dragons up the middle BUT it's not a nothing role - Rick sees him playing a particular strategic role in the team and that's how he's playing him. Yesterday he didn't feel the need for Papa and didn't need to deploy CHN earlier as Hudson was carving up.

Id guess that Stick sees that as his role for the rest of the year including finals particularly now with Sia (and I reckon Corey it needed back this year). He sees CHN getting up to 30 mins gametime - maybe a little more. If a second rower goes down - Hudson goes back to that role.

I reckon he is conditioning and testing Hudson to play as a middle for 40 mins and stay effective - he chose to continue testing that out yesterday.
He doesn't need to play a whole half at all. It's 40mins broken up. And if stick's playing the rotation how he thinks it needs to be and the guy can't get 40mins against a side as bad the dragons then that says exactly what I'm saying.

I expect to see something completely different next year after a full pre-season but as far as I'm concerned it's just playing out as a fill-in role.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Colk wrote: September 13, 2020, 12:31 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 13, 2020, 12:15 pm
Exactly.

I think I said not ready yet. There is a lot of upside: he looks like he has a good pace and he is robust with his carries and his defence. I think he could become a very good first grade winger.

But he is making some misreads in defence and lacks some confidence under the high ball. That can be ironed out with time and I think it can be but that is dangerous to have that in a finals series
Think he's a bit on the slow side actually - slower than the other wingers we have. To me his point of different should be his physique and physicality, he's got the potential to make those hard metres out of our own end.