6%

Total votes: 17

hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2020 Rd 19 V Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by hrundi89 »

Botman wrote: September 17, 2020, 10:59 am
1992 wrote: September 16, 2020, 7:16 pm Geoff Toovey says he did not rate Papalii until he saw him run down Fogarty.
Toovey flat out telling on himself if that's what he said. I would absolute never hire a guy who said something like that.
It's rather unfortunate.

He played for my son's current club as a kid.

It would be nice for him to see him as an inspiration but if this is true it's laughable.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

hrundi89 wrote: September 17, 2020, 11:27 am
Botman wrote: September 17, 2020, 10:59 am
1992 wrote: September 16, 2020, 7:16 pm Geoff Toovey says he did not rate Papalii until he saw him run down Fogarty.
Toovey flat out telling on himself if that's what he said. I would absolute never hire a guy who said something like that.
It's rather unfortunate.

He played for my son's current club as a kid.

It would be nice for him to see him as an inspiration but if this is true it's laughable.
I don't know why fox have him on 360 every week. Not only does he have a horrendous voice for media, but his "insights" in the current game suggest he might only occasionally watch some weekly game highlights and that's all. He looked like a real peanut when he suggested the tigers and bulldogs should sign AFB before being corrected by Kent that the reason he's leaving Manly is to get out of Sydney.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling proving people right

When Josh Hodgson ruptured his ACL against the Melbourne Storm, Ricky Stuart was immediately asked whether he was looking to recruit a new hooker. The head coach didn’t hesitate in his response - Tom Starling is our back up hooker.

“I got told by an old coach of mine, ‘Don’t go out to prove people wrong that’s– it’s not in hate but that can only last so long. Go out there and prove people right.’” Starling said. “So that’s what I try and do.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... ple-right/

VIDEO: Raiders celebrate Women in League: The players at the Canberra Raiders talk about the women who influence their life and football careers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... in-league/

NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Warriors: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34238

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... -warriors/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Top four or not, the Raiders have belief: George Williams

The Canberra Raiders want a spot in the top four, but half George Williams says that the player have the belief that they can win from anywhere if they have to.

"Of course, we've got the belief," Williams said, when asked if the Green Machine could win from the bottom half of the eight.

The Raiders are presently in fifth spot on the competition ladder, and they must win both of their final two games of the regular season if they're to be a chance of a top four spot. First up, they meet the Warriors at Canberra Stadium on Sunday, then they must travel to Cronulla for a clash with the Sharks.

A top four place gives teams a second bite at the cherry, should they lose in week one of the finals. But perhaps more importantly in 2020 - with no breaks in the season since Round 3 - a week one victory gives teams a valuable week off.

Not only must the Raiders win both of their matches, they have to rely on either the Roosters or Eels stumbling. One loss from the Eels could see the Raiders jump into fourth on points differential.

"Ideally, we honestly want to finish fourth," George Williams said today.

"The boys talk about what they did last year and the benefit of winning in the first week and then having that week off. The perfect picture, that's where we want to be, but if not, we'll go all the way if we have to."

While the Warriors' finals hopes have now been extinguished, the New Zealand outfit has become very competitive under interim coach Todd Payten - despite the challenge of being based in Australia, because of COVID travel restrictions.

"It's been a pretty tough year for them, obviously being away from their families," Williams said.

"I think they've been great for the competition and I'm sure nothing will change on the weekend. They've been playing for each other and we're preparing like they're going to bring their best game. I'm sure they will."

"Finals are off for them but they'll probably try and just enjoy the last couple of games. We know that they're really good at keeping the ball alive and they can literally score from anywhere. We'll prepare for that as much as you can. It's a bit unorthodox, you don't know what they'll do. But we'll be ready."

Coach Ricky Stuart is aiming to give Sia Soliola some game time before the finals, after recovering from a horror facial fracture. But the forward pack is playing so well, Stuart is finding it difficult find space for him in the top 17. Soliola is unlikely to play this weekend, but will definitely play against the Sharks.

Williams paid tribute to the middle forwards who have stepped up to cover injuries - and who are now causing a bit of a selection headache for the coach.

"I think our middles have been fantastic," Williams said.

"Even the young lads that aren't playing at the moment, they're training that hard to try and get into the team."

"But it's just that hard at the moment [for players to force their way into the top 17]. We're going pretty well and it's a good, but bad, position at the same time to be in."

"The environment is really good, as everyone is working really hard to push each other for places."

Williams believes the team is building as they head into the finals.

"I thought we had a bit of a bump in the road with the Roosters," he said.

"It's just that our second half performance wasn't good enough. We fixed that kind of thing. We're just moving forward, trying to build and it's not far away now, the finals, so it's quite exciting."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: George Williams: We're focused solely on the Warriors: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... -warriors/

VIDEO: Raiders wary of Warriors in pursuit of top four: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/17/rai ... -of-top-4/

Canberra Raiders have NRL premiership belief regardless of top-eight finish

Raiders half George Williams is excited about his first NRL finals campaign being just around the corner, despite having won two Super League premierships with Wigan.

"One hundred per cent. We've been pretty pleased with our attack the last few weeks, apart from the Roosters game where we scored one try off a kick off [John Bateman]," he said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Havili loves playing hooker, but no matter where he plays, he just loves running the ball

When Josh Hodgson went down with a knee injury in the Round 8 clash with the Melbourne Storm, hearts sank in the national capital.

Hodgson was diagnosed with an ACL injury and ruled out for the season. The Sydney critics immediately ruled the Raiders out of title contention. You don't easily replace one of the top few hookers in the world.

It was a cruel diagnosis for Hodgson, as it was the second ACL injury the Englishman has had since joining the Raiders.

Hodgson suffered the first during the 2017 World Cup in England's finals match against Tonga. That injury took out his left knee and ruled him out for the first 14 games of the 2018 season. This year, his right knee was the one affected.

One of the men that the Raiders turned to cover for Hodgson in 2018 was Siliva Havili. He was a player without an NRL club, but had performed well in the World Cup for Tonga at dummy half.

In 2020, Havili is again one of the men the Raiders have turned to in their hour of need.

When Hodgson has been available, Havili has mostly been used in forwards by the Raiders. But since Round 9, he's formed a very good hooking partnership with Tom Starling. No one can replace Josh Hodgson, but the pair have brought something new to the team. It is one reason the Raiders are still contending.

Havili has mostly started in the No. 9 jersey, taking the hard hits in the first 20 minutes, before the smaller, nippy Tom Starling takes over. Starling has had a shot in the starting role in the past couple of weeks, but Havili is back in the No. 9 for the clash with the Warriors on Sunday.

Havili loves playing hooker, but he doesn't mind sharing the role with Starling. He just wants to do what's best for the team. The bottom line is, he just loves running the ball, no matter what position he's playing.

"We've talked about it with Stick and what we want as a team," Havili said today.

"Tommy Starling and I are sharing that role and then I come on as a middle forward. I'm happy that I can cover that position, to get more game time in the middle, where I need to be for the team."

"Honestly, I prefer to play hooker. That's my primary position. It's what made me come here. I love playing that position and that's where I'm most comfortable."

"But then again, if we're down in the middle and I'm needed in the middle, I can also fill in there. I don't also mind playing there, I love running the ball."

Havili says it's good for the team to have players fighting for positions, particularly as the finals loom.

"It's a good thing to have Starlo and I fighting for that No. 9 position. It's good competition to have especially heading into the finals."

"It's a really competitive stage of the year, so it's important that we're competitive here at training, that we're fighting here for positions."

Havili says that Sunday's clash with the Warriors is a danger game - and the Raiders will be ready.

"Every NRL game is a hard game, it doesn't matter what week it is," he said.

"We expect they're going to be chucking the ball around and playing a bit more ad lib. They've got nothing to lose so it's a bit harder to play against."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Raiders wary of Warriors in pursuit of top four: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/17/rai ... -of-top-4/

Jazz Tevaga feels Warriors deserved more than they got out of tough 2020 season: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/wa ... 020-season
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

The Nickman wrote: September 17, 2020, 11:11 am
BadnMean wrote: September 17, 2020, 9:55 am I'm amazed at the amount of posters who have written a rookie winger who made positional errors in defence completely off.

A young player who can learn from his mistakes will prove to be a pretty good player. He hasn't been given the chance to correct yet. You don't scrap a first season player for making errors of inexperience- unless- they repeat them and fail to learn.

So far Semi has played a few games and has only made those defensive errors in one. His hands are a slight issue. But Cotric is the only rookie I can remember who didn't come in and drop one or two early.

He showed more positives in that game than any other; 1 try saving tackle; 1 other big hit to snuff out an attack from starting; a couple of half breaks and strong runs.

He got caught out by probably a yard in positioning, twice. Poor play but let's see if he can fix it. Particularly as Rapana looked better at centre than anyone else we've put there all year and he's went better there than he has been going on the wing. It's also advantageous to leave him there as if Oldy gets back to fitness, he's a far better winger than centre himself. That way if Semi doesn't shape up, we have a reasonable replacement with minimum disruption. At least on the wing while he's getting match fit, Oldy can select his workload to some extent on rucking carries, with Rapana carrying the load. Harder to run traffic at him in D.
I wish I could say I was surprised by own fans' treatment of a rookie winger, but I'm just not anymore, old friend.
Yeah, criticizing a rookie for making rookie errors, condemning him to purgatory and suggesting that the solution to the problem is either bringing in another rookie or inserting a winger who hasnt played for about 3 months into centre where he has been underwhelming for the most part even when fit. And then pose as the only intelligent poster on the blog.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Hear from George Williams and Siliva Havili as the Canberra Raiders prepare for Sunday's clash with the Warriors at Canberra Stadium. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/56bO50BtjJQ

#NRL #WeAreRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ryan Sutton has been amazing for Canberra Raiders: Sia Soliola

That's the view of Sia Soliola, who is set to return from an horrific facial injury in Sunday’s match against the Warriors in Canberra, said Sutton was an under-rated member of the Raiders squad aiming to better last year’s Grand Final loss.

“We emphasise Papa but guys like Ryan Sutton, Dunamis Lui and Joe Tapine have been doing amazing jobs,” Soliola said. “We are fortunate to have someone like Ryan, and the other guys, because they provide great depth.

Read more: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rs-2973519
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

love seeing a fresh Havili trucking in through the ruck late in the game

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

Great win by the dogs. 1 win and we lock in at least 5th. Broncos must now also be fired up against Para to avoid the spoon.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

So torn. If Para lose, I think we will get 4th. If Broncos lose... well football in the groin.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Azza wrote: September 18, 2020, 12:09 pm So torn. If Para lose, I think we will get 4th. If Broncos lose... well football in the groin.
I feel this
Dont delete this GE
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

These message boards ever since they existed, have been polarised between people who feel a fan's job is primarily to show support, and others who want to analyse and make judgements, play coach
Botman wrote: September 17, 2020, 11:03 am
afgtnk wrote: September 17, 2020, 10:47 am I don't see anybody writing Valemei off completely. There's a difference between wanting him dropped, both for his benefit and the team's, and never wanting him back in the side again.

We simply can't afford to have someone learning on the job to the extent that he is at the moment, at this point of the season and in the position that we're in. That's it, really. You can spin it anyway you want, but he's making huge errors at both ends of the field. Those two defensive mistakes were well below first grade - especially the second one. The opposition have now got him as a clear and easy target.

I think fans can cop an error or two on one end, but not both. You need to be good at a large portion of your job in first grade, regardless of your age or experience level. Making huge mistakes in defence, attack, and under the high ball in a game more than once is not compatible with a team that has high aspirations like ours right now.
100% agree. Valemei clearly has some talent and physical attributes that make him a very viable NRL footballer, but we dont have the luxury to have him learning on the job here. Next year, he should continue to improve and with a proper reserve grade he'll have an avenue to work on aspects of his game if he isnt selected for FG. My expectations are that next year he would very much be in the mix to replace Cotric (im not as sold on Simo as others) but for now, we cant afford those types of errors if we want to try and compete for a title
Absolutely, x3. Anything's possible, he might iron out those areas before the end of the year. I hope he does. But that's not generally how quickly things move. Based on past performance he's a risk to carry into the finals against the best of the best sides. Finals are often based on thin margins

I like him as a smokey for next year too, I think he could be a weapon even, possibly more upside than Simo. He has all the signs to me of a potentially good player who's just green
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

I'm not torn. I couldn't care less where Brisbane finish - I want to finish 4th to give us the best shot at a premiership. So, go Broncos!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Raider Azz wrote: September 18, 2020, 12:44 pm I'm not torn. I couldn't care less where Brisbane finish - I want to finish 4th to give us the best shot at a premiership. So, go Broncos!

But football in the groin!!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think it matters
The eels have something to play for, are a far better football team, and this broncos team has shown time and time again it's going to roll over on command as soon as the score gets to double digits

I dont think there is a snowballs chance in hell the broncos win that game. They dont have the gumption or pride for the kind of performance needed to win that game.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote: I dont think there is a snowballs chance in hell the broncos win that game. They dont have the gumption or pride for the kind of performance needed to win that game.
Agreed. Although I expect now you’ve put it out there 2020 might do it just to spite us.

Obviously Raiders 4th is a longer lasting happiness than Broncos schadenfreude. But it’s a nicer worst case scenario than most.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Azza wrote:
Raider Azz wrote: September 18, 2020, 12:44 pm I'm not torn. I couldn't care less where Brisbane finish - I want to finish 4th to give us the best shot at a premiership. So, go Broncos!

Are you talking to your self? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Elcaptcroker wrote: September 18, 2020, 1:30 pm
Azza wrote:

Are you talking to your self? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where is peanut head Nickman when you need her?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: September 18, 2020, 12:58 pm I dont think it matters
The eels have something to play for, are a far better football team, and this broncos team has shown time and time again it's going to roll over on command as soon as the score gets to double digits

I dont think there is a snowballs chance in hell the broncos win that game. They dont have the gumption or pride for the kind of performance needed to win that game.
Could have said similar going into last night's game, replacing Eels with Rabbits and Broncos with Dogs. Can never make assumptions.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

You never know in sport but I would not put a dollar of my hard earned on Broncos beating Eels... at least Bulldogs have turned up at times this year
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders will be looking to keep the pressure on fourth-placed Parramatta Eels when they take on New Zealand Warriors: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/18/rai ... -round-19/

Training Gallery: Raiders v Warriors: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... -warriors/

Set of Six: Raiders v Warriors: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... -warriors/
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: September 18, 2020, 2:26 pm
Botman wrote: September 18, 2020, 12:58 pm I dont think it matters

Could have said similar going into last night's game, replacing Eels with Rabbits and Broncos with Dogs. Can never make assumptions.
As @Canberra Milk said, the bulldogs have always shown up and given their all
They lack talent and polish across the squad but they bust their gut
The broncos are far superior in talent and far inferior in heart and effort, as I said, they don’t have that type of gumption in them.
They roll over at the first sign of adversity
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

@botman - your indolence is inefficacious.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

kona_dream wrote: September 17, 2020, 10:40 pm Great win by the dogs. 1 win and we lock in at least 5th. Broncos must now also be fired up against Para to avoid the spoon.
I heard an interesting (nasty) take on this today. According to a Sharks supporter, the poison is so deep between the Broncos and Wayne Bennett that Bennett wanted a lack lustre effort from his side so that the Broncos could get the wooden spoon. I don't know that Bennett would coach any side to lay down, but there was something not right with the effort (or lack of) by Souths last night. Complacent would be the kindest description of their performance.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

RedRaider wrote: September 18, 2020, 4:50 pm
kona_dream wrote: September 17, 2020, 10:40 pm Great win by the dogs. 1 win and we lock in at least 5th. Broncos must now also be fired up against Para to avoid the spoon.
I heard an interesting (nasty) take on this today. According to a Sharks supporter, the poison is so deep between the Broncos and Wayne Bennett that Bennett wanted a lack lustre effort from his side so that the Broncos could get the wooden spoon. I don't know that Bennett would coach any side to lay down, but there was something not right with the effort (or lack of) by Souths last night. Complacent would be the kindest description of their performance.
I think that's rubbish tbh. People will come up with all sorts of crap at this time of year. forfty percent of all people know that.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote:
So you think that a team gave up playing for finals positions including a home final, to illegally fix a match to their own detriment, to help settle a coach’s vendetta?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: September 18, 2020, 4:02 pm @botman - your indolence is inefficacious.
..and he smells funny
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: September 18, 2020, 6:02 pm
RedRaider wrote:
So you think that a team gave up playing for finals positions including a home final, to illegally fix a match to their own detriment, to help settle a coach’s vendetta?
Should have stopped reading at "According to a Sharks supporter..."
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

RedRaider wrote: September 18, 2020, 4:50 pm
C'mon now Red. :lol: :lol:

There's not a snowflakes chance in hell that a professional footballer would listen to a coach who told them to throw a game just so the coach could get back at his old club in some weirdass vendetta!

They were ****, plain and simple. If the coach wasn't furious with that performance then he shouldn't be coaching.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Yeah I think Red is being a bit far fetched on that one!!
irvste
Sam Backo

Post by irvste »

I said that as a joke yesterday red.. But a sharks supporter might well believe it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Right on cue, the broncos rolling over like the dogs they are

Bum team, no heart, no pride... a team of cheque collectors
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: September 18, 2020, 8:47 pm Right on cue, the broncos rolling over like the dogs they are

My big takeaway from this game (I already knew broncos were a joke) is that the Eels are complete frauds. If we play them in the finals I will be disappointed if we don’t give them the business because I think we are comfortably a better team than them.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 18, 2020, 9:49 pm
Botman wrote: September 18, 2020, 8:47 pm Right on cue, the broncos rolling over like the dogs they are

My big takeaway from this game (I already knew broncos were a joke) is that the Eels are complete frauds. If we play them in the finals I will be disappointed if we don’t give them the business because I think we are comfortably a better team than them.
Their best game is not better than ours
If we played them, the game is in our hands.