Moderator: GH Moderators

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Re: Ideas for more creativity

Post by MrPosh »

greeneyed wrote: September 11, 2020, 10:10 pm
MrPosh wrote: September 11, 2020, 9:58 pm
Kryptonite wrote: September 11, 2020, 7:25 pm Recruit the Walker brothers as attacking coaches
It would make it easier on ourselves.
For a start, they simply couldn't work with Ricky. There's a reason no NRL club wants to appoint them.
I was just doing a song pun.

I don't know enough about them to make a call.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Canberra Milk wrote:Fascinating talk on the Matty Johns Podcast this week about halves combinations, and the evolution of attack in general since the 80s.

So interesting how Matty and Joey used to have signals for each other on what plays to use and even on-the-fly, to communicate if a player had say come out of the defensive line.

It's pretty clear that it's a complex art, getting a halves combination to fire. There are so many variables and nuances. Some of them are out of one's control, like who they developed under and who they grew up playing alongside. A coach can help it develop though. They joked about how they didn't know what Warren Ryan was talking about when he coached, but they were able to ascertain it from the other guys on the staff.

Matty thinks the most important thing is that the team has a goal, everyone in the team knows what that goal is and in turn can play their part in it.

Applying it to the Raiders, it's clear we don't have great combinations. So in terms of the thread topic for more creativity, well we need to develop those combinations. I'm not sure if it's tactical so much as players doing the hard work of talking to each other throughout the week, coming up with ideas and plays with each other, under the guidance of an attacking coach who can give them a direction. It's not easy, otherwise every team would just do it
It’s a been a tough year for combinations with so many injuries. We’ve hardly put the same team out there 2 weeks in a row and have also lost the player who directed a lot of our attack in Hodgson which meant the halves have had to completely change their games.

We’ve pulled off some really good set plays this year including the Wighton run around and a few sweep plays with CNK chiming I’m so I doubt that it is the training or attacking smarts that is the problem. It’s having the consistency in players to be able to hit those plays consistently under pressure. Especially on the right edge.

The best attacking teams also tend to be the teams with the least injuries, like the panthers.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

MrPosh wrote: September 12, 2020, 3:06 am
greeneyed wrote: September 11, 2020, 10:10 pm
MrPosh wrote: September 11, 2020, 9:58 pm
Kryptonite wrote: September 11, 2020, 7:25 pm Recruit the Walker brothers as attacking coaches
It would make it easier on ourselves.
For a start, they simply couldn't work with Ricky. There's a reason no NRL club wants to appoint them.
I was just doing a song pun.

I don't know enough about them to make a call.
:lol: very good!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 10, 2020, 6:11 pm Fascinating talk on the Matty Johns Podcast this week about halves combinations, and the evolution of attack in general since the 80s.

So interesting how Matty and Joey used to have signals for each other on what plays to use and even on-the-fly, to communicate if a player had say come out of the defensive line.

It's pretty clear that it's a complex art, getting a halves combination to fire. There are so many variables and nuances. Some of them are out of one's control, like who they developed under and who they grew up playing alongside. A coach can help it develop though. They joked about how they didn't know what Warren Ryan was talking about when he coached, but they were able to ascertain it from the other guys on the staff.

Matty thinks the most important thing is that the team has a goal, everyone in the team knows what that goal is and in turn can play their part in it.

Applying it to the Raiders, it's clear we don't have great combinations. So in terms of the thread topic for more creativity, well we need to develop those combinations. I'm not sure if it's tactical so much as players doing the hard work of talking to each other throughout the week, coming up with ideas and plays with each other, under the guidance of an attacking coach who can give them a direction. It's not easy, otherwise every team would just do it
I watched this, this morning and I thought Matty Johns did a great job explaining their attack and what they worked towards.

It’s also the biggest difference between ourselves and the other big three is they are all working their attack towards something and all on the same page.

We are and have been for 5 years just been playing off our own individuals brilliance a lot.

Oddly enough I though the thurling campo best years our attack actually worked as a team quite well.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

It's almost like our halves are playing together for the first time this season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

We can score points againdt weaker sides.. i think the problem will be against the top sides that defend well.

Im happy with some of what i saw yesterday.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

papabear wrote: September 13, 2020, 10:11 am
Canberra Milk wrote: September 10, 2020, 6:11 pm Fascinating talk on the Matty Johns Podcast this week about halves combinations, and the evolution of attack in general since the 80s.

I watched this, this morning and I thought Matty Johns did a great job explaining their attack and what they worked towards.

It’s also the biggest difference between ourselves and the other big three is they are all working their attack towards something and all on the same page.

We are and have been for 5 years just been playing off our own individuals brilliance a lot.

Oddly enough I though the thurling campo best years our attack actually worked as a team quite well.
2008 was unbelievable, one of my favourite years as a supporter. We inverted usual attack methods by spreading it early in our half to Best/Graham etc, getting one on one tackles therefore quick play the balls, which would in turn give easy metres up the middle. The opposite of earn the right to go wide. And as Brandy said at the time, it wasn't risky. As long as you can throw a pass and catch one, there's nothing risky about it

I think there was always an element of downhill skiing to it, and we didn't have the defence to match it. But it was an absolute thrill to watch

On being on the same page, if you look at how that works on a micro scale, look no further than Leipana. Great individually yes, but also knew what the other was doing, on the same page... you want a similar level of syncing for the whole 13 I suspect, or at least for the spine
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

pickles wrote: September 12, 2020, 7:16 am
Canberra Milk wrote:Fascinating talk on the Matty Johns Podcast this week about halves combinations, and the evolution of attack in general since the 80s.

It’s a been a tough year for combinations with so many injuries. We’ve hardly put the same team out there 2 weeks in a row and have also lost the player who directed a lot of our attack in Hodgson which meant the halves have had to completely change their games.

We’ve pulled off some really good set plays this year including the Wighton run around and a few sweep plays with CNK chiming I’m so I doubt that it is the training or attacking smarts that is the problem. It’s having the consistency in players to be able to hit those plays consistently under pressure. Especially on the right edge.

The best attacking teams also tend to be the teams with the least injuries, like the panthers.
Yeah some set plays have been good at times, and great to see a couple work vs the Saints

Separate to set plays, I look at Luke Keary last night and what makes him so good is just that spur of the moment vision, those heads up plays. Same with Cody Walker. "Instinctively" reacting to defences, but really it's not instinct, it's vision and football smarts. I'm not sure that can be coached, but if you've got someone who can do it, what a bonus. Campo I'd say had that in 08 too
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Canberra Milk wrote:
pickles wrote: September 12, 2020, 7:16 am

Yeah some set plays have been good at times, and great to see a couple work vs the Saints

Separate to set plays, I look at Luke Keary last night and what makes him so good is just that spur of the moment vision, those heads up plays. Same with Cody Walker. "Instinctively" reacting to defences, but really it's not instinct, it's vision and football smarts. I'm not sure that can be coached, but if you've got someone who can do it, what a bonus. Campo I'd say had that in 08 too
Williams, Wighton and starling have all shown glimpses of this but it would be nice to see more of it!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 13, 2020, 12:02 pm
papabear wrote: September 13, 2020, 10:11 am

2008 was unbelievable, one of my favourite years as a supporter. We inverted usual attack methods by spreading it early in our half to Best/Graham etc, getting one on one tackles therefore quick play the balls, which would in turn give easy metres up the middle. The opposite of earn the right to go wide. And as Brandy said at the time, it wasn't risky. As long as you can throw a pass and catch one, there's nothing risky about it

I think there was always an element of downhill skiing to it, and we didn't have the defence to match it. But it was an absolute thrill to watch

On being on the same page, if you look at how that works on a micro scale, look no further than Leipana. Great individually yes, but also knew what the other was doing, on the same page... you want a similar level of syncing for the whole 13 I suspect, or at least for the spine
100 percent.

the syncing between our 9 and 7 hopefully improves dramatically over the next two weeks.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Creativity isnt really something you can manufacture, you either have it or you dont. We have been one of the best attacking sides for a few years now without any truly creative players. Hodgson can be creative I suppose but be can also be very predictable. Wighton isnt really creative. Williams lacks imagination in attack but he gets brownie points for his passing and kicking game, which is what we lacked with Sezer.

I wouldn’t change anything to try to manufacture creativity, when you get players trying to do things that are outside their skills set and unnatural to them that is a recipe for disaster. I think with Williams passing and kicking game, skillful edge forwards in Whitehead and Young, Hodgo returning next year and Croker and CNK as well, there is enough individual creativity across the board to score points, rather than pinning it all on one or two players. Of course if you could get someone like Keary then you would move heaven and earth to get them, however there are few truly creative players in the NRL anyway, so we kinda gotta make do with what’s available and play to our strengths.