All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: King George

Re: Ideas for more creativity

Post by Groundskeeer Willie »

LastRaider wrote: September 7, 2020, 10:23 pm We sack the attacking coach
Which is who? Everyone keeps mentioning our anonymous "attacking coach" but no one seems to know who it is.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

It's Ricky.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

zim wrote: September 7, 2020, 10:37 pmIt's Ricky.
Oh boy, does that mean the "sack Ricky " protests are back?
Bovrick
Ken Nagas

Post by Bovrick »

Neither Jack or George are the best talkers, the way you need to handle that as a coach is to give the team some expected plays. With neither, the attack regularly looks like it doesn't know what to do and reverts to wasteful dummy half plays, or forwards giving poor passes to each other. I suspect a lot of this is mental fatigue from defending poor territory, because oppositions have figured out that Canberra are unwilling to take any chances off their line, and can be easily predicted and swarmed.

Technically the side has it well within them to put on slick plays to the left edge (with Wighton on the wrap around rather than CNK), and they play well with second phase through the middle. They're the areas of strength in attack that aren't just individual brilliance in running, along with Williams being dangerous with his kicks from close. Issue is they're rarely actually being pulled out of the bag, and that's for the coach to figure out why.

I agree with calls to have Bateman attack through the middle, he's too inclined to cut in to ever let the right hand side breath properly, bringing in a straight runner could help out a lot. I'd still want him playing the 80 and defending on the right though. Let CHN/Young defend the middle where there's more cover and less lateral movement needed.
I also agree with shifting Williams' and CNKs role somewhat. After seeing Williams roam a bit more, I think he's proven himself capable. CNK should therefore stay more right-sided in general, hopfully sticking right of Williams for inside balls/sweeps, and sniffing around an offloading right forward, be it Bateman or CHN. Wighton can be the second pivot for left sweeps, or a direct running half for tighter plays.
The final problem is getting out of the 20m. I think on this one we need to shake the reputation of being willing to send our backs into a wall for 4 plays in a row for no yardage - if it takes some lower % shifts early on just to put the opposition on notice, then that will be worth it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 7, 2020, 10:15 pm Our defence is not even close to the standard it was at last year.. not even close! Last year I just had this sheer confidence that we could keep any team at bay.. that we could repel set after set on our line regardless of the opposition. I just KNEW that the opposition weren't going to score when they were on our line and 95% of the time, we didn't crack. Can't say I have that same feeling or confidence this year.
2019 average points against = 15.58
2020 average points against = 15.71

Seems reasonably close.

Last year we had 9 games where the opposition scored 20 or more. So far this season there has been 6. I think you have selective memory.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Matt wrote: September 7, 2020, 8:27 pm Im not sure bringing up our lack of ability to score, after playing the best D in the comp is a great place to start. But I don't think our attack has been that bad of late.

GWills ability to get repeat sets is a God send. We would have give Papas right foot for that in previous years. Would be better if our outside backs were also looking for the kick in behind once and a while though.

I liked the Wighton attacking at centre move we shaped up for twice on the wkend. It worked once for about 30-40m.

I do think Jack has to learn to run straighter. His natural drift to the left does mean he runs his support players out of room. Its a subconscious/ natural thing but he has to find a way to play more direct.

I also think, we look at our most dangerous from 2nd phase. We have lots of great ball runners with good footwork. Wouldnt mind us focusing on that a bit more.
It's happening way too often. More often than not he has been basically funnelling 3 defenders in Croker's direction.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 7, 2020, 10:30 pm
LastRaider wrote: September 7, 2020, 10:23 pm We sack the attacking coach
Which is who? Everyone keeps mentioning our anonymous "attacking coach" but no one seems to know who it is.
Bob Turnington
But really Mick Crowley
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Seiffert82 wrote: September 8, 2020, 12:06 am
Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 7, 2020, 10:15 pm Our defence is not even close to the standard it was at last year.. not even close! Last year I just had this sheer confidence that we could keep any team at bay.. that we could repel set after set on our line regardless of the opposition. I just KNEW that the opposition weren't going to score when they were on our line and 95% of the time, we didn't crack. Can't say I have that same feeling or confidence this year.

Seems reasonably close.

Last year we had 9 games where the opposition scored 20 or more. So far this season there has been 6. I think you have selective memory.
:roflmao I'm not talking about points against, I'm talking about our determination and ability to consistently and repeatedly turn teams away. I think you're the one that has selective memory champ, either that or your watching a different team to the rest of us. Dead set how can you not notice the difference 🤣🤣🤣 Our defence has been as soft as butter for the majority of the year. I'm not talking about the points conceded so much, it's the way we have conceded them. That is the difference.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 8, 2020, 8:23 am

Seems reasonably close.

:roflmao I'm not talking about points against, I'm talking about our determination and ability to consistently and repeatedly turn teams away. I think you're the one that has selective memory champ, either that or your watching a different team to the rest of us. Dead set how can you not notice the difference 🤣🤣🤣 Our defence has been as soft as butter for the majority of the year. I'm not talking about the points conceded so much, it's the way we have conceded them. That is the difference.
Last year we repeatedly turned poor teams away on our line and also stepped up our intensity at finals time. We regularly conceded a ton of yards in the middle of the field, hence the reason why we had to defend our line so often.

This season we have been conceding much less ground for large parts of the game and have therefore not been required to defend our line for repeated sets of 6. Most of the tries we concede in that zone are the result of kicks.

The end result is practically the same. Our defence on the edges has improved as the season has gone on.

You made a ridiculous point about our defence not being at the same standard as last season. You are wrong. What you saw last year was great scramble and a great determination at the goal line which was a necessary response to a significantly poorer defensive effort upfield.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Seiffert82 wrote: September 8, 2020, 11:12 am

Seems reasonably close.

Last year we repeatedly turned poor teams away on our line and also stepped up our intensity at finals time. We regularly conceded a ton of yards in the middle of the field, hence the reason why we had to defend our line so often.

This season we have been conceding much less ground for large parts of the game and have therefore not been required to defend our line for repeated sets of 6. Most of the tries we concede in that zone are the result of kicks.

The end result is practically the same. Our defence on the edges has improved as the season has gone on.

You made a ridiculous point about our defence not being at the same standard as last season. You are wrong. What you saw last year was great scramble and a great determination at the goal line which was a necessary response to a significantly poorer defensive effort upfield.
That's not even remotely close to being true. For starters we also repeatedly turned away the TOP TEAMS something we have failed to do repeatedly this year. We have not been conceding less ground this year either 🤣 teams have been camped on our line on thousands of occasions this year and we fold like butter. I'm also not sure what planet you are from if you think our edge defence has improved. You're the one making ridiculous points champion. Your eyes must be painted on, or glued on or something!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I agree with GMGT, our defence hasn't been quite as good this year IMO. Stats are one thing IMO, however also just watching from gut feel I do think we have dropped away a tad. That said, our first half defence on the weekend was about as good as it's been in awhile.
SimplyThePest
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by SimplyThePest »

We've done better against the top 6 sides this year than we did in the regular season last year, too. It wouldn't be unreasonable to say we're performing similarly to last year overall. Penrith's massive surge from also-rans to front runners has pushed us (and others) down the table. If that hadn't happened, maybe we wouldn't be discussing this stuff as much...
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Not only that, but given we are 6 rounds shorter than last year, a ‘winning period’ like Parra had is worth more.

Add 6 rounds on the end of this year and Parra wouldn’t hold onto a top 4 spot, we would likely finish in 4th. Like last year.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Azza wrote: September 8, 2020, 1:42 pm I agree with GMGT, our defence hasn't been quite as good this year IMO. Stats are one thing IMO, however also just watching from gut feel I do think we have dropped away a tad. That said, our first half defence on the weekend was about as good as it's been in awhile.
100%. If we play and defend like that first half for the rest of the year we go a damn long way towards winning the whole thing. We stuck with the roosters all the way through that half.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 8, 2020, 12:11 pm

Seems reasonably close.

That's not even remotely close to being true. For starters we also repeatedly turned away the TOP TEAMS something we have failed to do repeatedly this year. We have not been conceding less ground this year either 🤣 teams have been camped on our line on thousands of occasions this year and we fold like butter. I'm also not sure what planet you are from if you think our edge defence has improved. You're the one making ridiculous points champion. Your eyes must be painted on, or glued on or something!
We fold like butter, yet concede the same number of points.

OK.

I don't think you have a particularly sophisticated understanding of how an entire defensive system works.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Seiffert82 wrote: September 8, 2020, 4:05 pm
Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 8, 2020, 12:11 pm

Seems reasonably close.

We fold like butter, yet concede the same number of points.

OK.

I don't think you have a particularly sophisticated understanding of how an entire defensive system works.
:lol: you clearly don't if you think our defence has been as good as last year. You're the one literally judging defence off nothing but the "points against" number. Go figure.... I think you need to learn the definition of sophisticated, champ.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Does anyone else see value in signing James Wan to the coaching staff?

He spent some time in Canberra, and probably could be enticed back in some capacity. Could bring the creativity we’re looking for?

At a pinch, we might be able to lure John Foulcher
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 8, 2020, 6:27 pm Does anyone else see value in signing James Wan to the coaching staff?

He spent some time in Canberra, and probably could be enticed back in some capacity. Could bring the creativity we’re looking for?

Who in Jesus **** Kentucky carnation is "James Wan" ??

Next question...

Who in Jesus **** Kentucky carnation is "John Foulcher"??
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The real question is: “has anyone seen Willie’s baseball?”
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 8, 2020, 6:27 pm Does anyone else see value in signing James Wan to the coaching staff?

Who in Jesus **** Kentucky carnation is "James Wan" ??

Next question...

Who in Jesus **** Kentucky carnation is "John Foulcher"??
...Get out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

With all this confrontational posting and “champ” references, is Groundskeeper Willie a reincarnation of that GMGT guy that disappeared not long ago?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

We really need to improve our defence against kicks. We cannot remain passive and not contest the high ball, hoping the opposition drop it. Teams will be targeting us in the finals and now. Even grubbers - Brisbane, Penrith and Titans recently scored against us. We cannot say we defended well because the other team scored tries off kicks. It's one weakness of our team and the games will be close so we don't want to gift points.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: September 9, 2020, 12:02 am With all this confrontational posting and “champ” references, is Groundskeeper Willie a reincarnation of that GMGT guy that disappeared not long ago?
I'm pretty sure GMGT was Fergo2012.

And...

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: September 9, 2020, 9:30 am
Finchy wrote: September 9, 2020, 12:02 am With all this confrontational posting and “champ” references, is Groundskeeper Willie a reincarnation of that GMGT guy that disappeared not long ago?

And...

Ha, so it is! I never realised. What exactly is a Groundskeeer anyway?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: September 9, 2020, 12:19 pm
The Nickman wrote: September 9, 2020, 9:30 am

And...

Ha, so it is! I never realised. What exactly is a Groundskeeer anyway?
What's a Groundskeeer?? Well, it's not quite a ground, and it's not quite a skeeer but, man...

*laughs*

So, to answer your question, I don't know.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

I don't think it's that easy to compare defenses from last year to this year especially as far as yardage conceded because of the 6 again rule
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The brightest candles burn the quickest. I think this stint was in record time. Needs to curve his swerve a little next time. Build up to his champs.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Seems reasonably close.

The only thing that is soft as butter is your ego after getting some solid pushback against your peanut of an opinion.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 7, 2020, 12:36 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: September 7, 2020, 12:21 pm I like the idea of Wighton at lock. In our current setup. I'm not sure if it would work with Hodgson back in the lineup...too many chefs and all that.

That left hand side needs a better ball playing half to be effective. I understand the frustration with CNK not playing that role, but my preference would be to have Williams play a lot more on both sides of the ruck.
Oh god. Dead **** set. Wighton to lock????? That idea was thrown out the window 5 or 6 years ago. But hey, let's move one of the best 5/8s in the comp to lock when we have a fully international back row which is probably the best back row in the comp. Jesus **** Christ.
This place is great for a laugh
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: September 9, 2020, 7:56 pm
The brightest candles burn the quickest. I think this stint was in record time. Needs to curve his swerve a little next time. Build up to his champs.
haha he's gone again isn't he?? Goddamit.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Fascinating talk on the Matty Johns Podcast this week about halves combinations, and the evolution of attack in general since the 80s.

So interesting how Matty and Joey used to have signals for each other on what plays to use and even on-the-fly, to communicate if a player had say come out of the defensive line.

It's pretty clear that it's a complex art, getting a halves combination to fire. There are so many variables and nuances. Some of them are out of one's control, like who they developed under and who they grew up playing alongside. A coach can help it develop though. They joked about how they didn't know what Warren Ryan was talking about when he coached, but they were able to ascertain it from the other guys on the staff.

Matty thinks the most important thing is that the team has a goal, everyone in the team knows what that goal is and in turn can play their part in it.

Applying it to the Raiders, it's clear we don't have great combinations. So in terms of the thread topic for more creativity, well we need to develop those combinations. I'm not sure if it's tactical so much as players doing the hard work of talking to each other throughout the week, coming up with ideas and plays with each other, under the guidance of an attacking coach who can give them a direction. It's not easy, otherwise every team would just do it
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Recruit the Walker brothers as attacking coaches
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Kryptonite wrote: September 11, 2020, 7:25 pm Recruit the Walker brothers as attacking coaches
I like.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Kryptonite wrote: September 11, 2020, 7:25 pm Recruit the Walker brothers as attacking coaches
It would make it easier on ourselves.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MrPosh wrote: September 11, 2020, 9:58 pm
It would make it easier on ourselves.
For a start, they simply couldn't work with Ricky. There's a reason no NRL club wants to appoint them.