2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Raiders 13+
1
9%
Raiders 1-12
5
45%
Draw
0
No votes
Roosters 1-12
3
27%
Roosters 13+
2
18%
 
Total votes: 11

radicalraider
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 383
Joined: August 4, 2014, 12:06 am
Favourite Player: croker

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by radicalraider »

They ended us last year and this year. Death to easts
User avatar
Azza
Steve Walters
Posts: 7785
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Azza »

Fart ass
User avatar
GreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1283
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by GreenMachine »

Storm v Roosters GF this year.
Mark it in your calendar.
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29312
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Botman »

I come out of that feeling pretty good
The roosters are better than us and we'll be underdogs if we play them again, but i dont feel like we cant beat them. I think that game showed we can go with them
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
User avatar
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10485
Joined: March 10, 2012, 8:11 am
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Toviii »

That felt very similar to last years grand final. Roosters just had the polish to finish their chances. I still am confident for this season as long as Papalii is back by finals
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo
Posts: 192
Joined: August 21, 2020, 9:35 pm
Favourite Player: King George

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Groundskeeer Willie »

Well.. that 2nd half was an almighty disappointment.. if we repeat the 1st half we win that. So, sad...We just pissed the top 4 down the drain.
User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26983
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Northern Raider »

The effort was good. The execution not as good. Too many errors and their defense was better than our attack.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
User avatar
KingDynamite
Dean Lance
Posts: 858
Joined: May 17, 2012, 9:41 pm
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by KingDynamite »

I am not to disappointed with that performance.

The roosters were on tonight, we didn’t play our best. Many improvements for us to make, especially in attack.

I expect us to have a brilliant next few weeks.
User avatar
Raider47
David Furner
Posts: 3669
Joined: April 15, 2009, 10:38 am
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki
Location: Canberra

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Raider47 »

Every time we are in their 20 I never felt confident we'd score.

Our attack is completely rudderless
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo
Posts: 192
Joined: August 21, 2020, 9:35 pm
Favourite Player: King George

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Groundskeeer Willie »

Toviii wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:23 pm That felt very similar to last years grand final. Roosters just had the polish to finish their chances. I still am confident for this season as long as Papalii is back by finals
That's what I was thinking. We really need to learn to take our opportunities against the roosters. They make us pay every time..
User avatar
Rick
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6296
Joined: August 11, 2008, 3:56 pm
Favourite Player: Daley
Location: Darwin

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Rick »

Second half was rubbish.
Way too many dropped balls
Can put a line through Semi.
Croker **** again

That’s year over now. Not going to get another week off so might as well rest everyone over the next few weeks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo
Posts: 192
Joined: August 21, 2020, 9:35 pm
Favourite Player: King George

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Groundskeeer Willie »

Raider47 wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:25 pm Every time we are in their 20 I never felt confident we'd score.

Our attack is completely rudderless
Might have something to do with the roosters who have the best defence in the comp, but hey.....
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20778
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well, at least our defence is solid. One try of an arsey Tedesco kick. One try off an undefendable kick to Tupou. One kick off the back of an error.
Boomercm
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 343
Joined: June 21, 2009, 7:18 pm
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Boomercm »

Tedesco the difference, even though CNK was our best.

Surprised we didn't use Havili at 9 a bit earlier to show a different look.

Jack should have run more.

We are not the same side without Paps and we didn't create enough 2nd phase to really trouble them. That was the only way we were going to break them down.
User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8311
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by afgtnk »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:20 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:18 pm George can hold his head up high tonight. Done plenty to put pressure on and manage the game well
He has to shoulder blame for the floundering attack
Naturally halves will always cop their share of it in situations like this, but I think little can be put on both he and Wighton overall (even if Jack had a stinker tonight). I'm not seeing them squandering chances or being unable to see things. They're not being given the right formula to work with.

This smacks of a coaching issue we're he's got us too conservative, a fullback that is ineffective with ball in hand, and a severe lack of speed in the backs. When I see teams like the Storm I can only dream we can capitalise on the chances they do as a direct result of the speed they possess.
User avatar
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11284
Joined: January 6, 2005, 8:44 pm
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Canberra Milk »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:26 pm
Raider47 wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:25 pm Every time we are in their 20 I never felt confident we'd score.

Our attack is completely rudderless
Might have something to do with the roosters who have the best defence in the comp, but hey.....
Nah you should at least threaten. We didn't look like scoring or breaking the line
Elcaptcroker
Peter Jackson
Posts: 252
Joined: September 5, 2016, 11:09 am
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Elcaptcroker »

The amount of errors we did in the second half but still kept them to the 1 try, i think we did a good job tonight, and lived up to the hype.

After tonight theres only 4 teams who id say can make the gf, panthers, storm, roosters and us.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Raider47
David Furner
Posts: 3669
Joined: April 15, 2009, 10:38 am
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki
Location: Canberra

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Raider47 »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:26 pm
Raider47 wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:25 pm Every time we are in their 20 I never felt confident we'd score.

Our attack is completely rudderless
Might have something to do with the roosters who have the best defence in the comp, but hey.....
Yeah but also may have something to do with a non existent system of attack.
julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12217
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by julian87 »

My thoughts on the team. I'll come across as alarmist I guess but meh. I've had some big, big changes in my life over the last 6 weeks so I've been able to watch the footy without caring at all and this is how I see it.

George Williams is perhaps the worst possible foil for Wighton the club could have accrued. I thought it when we signed him but also deemed it an ok dice roll but it just doesn't work. Williams is beyond inept at anything but short kicking and a touch of ad lib footy. His passing game is genuinely worse than the worst ever half I've seen play a fair chunk of first grade; Jeremy Smith. You could win a premiership with George Williams and a good halfback but not with these 2.

CNK's ineptitude as a ball player is beyond ridiculous. He's brilliant nearly everywhere else. But still....Williams + him is killing Wighton's prime.

Starling starting with Havili on the bench is Stuart's worst selection for a while. It makes no sense. It hasn't worked and I hope it reverts.

From my brief reading this forum has decided that the outside backs are to blame. They are not. The spine never, **** ever, create them an opportunity. And I deadset want to remove Wighton's name from 'spine' when I say it because he's a gun and being forced to do absolutely ridiculous amounts of things given he's pretty much a centre/five-eighth/backrow/fullback hybrid.

* this is not in relation to tonight's game only. I expected a bigger loss than that but it has sort of cemented it all as truths in my mind.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
User avatar
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11284
Joined: January 6, 2005, 8:44 pm
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Canberra Milk »

afgtnk wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:27 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:20 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:18 pm George can hold his head up high tonight. Done plenty to put pressure on and manage the game well
He has to shoulder blame for the floundering attack
Naturally halves will always cop their share of it in situations like this, but I think little can be put on both he and Wighton overall (even if Jack had a stinker tonight). I'm not seeing them squandering chances or being unable to see things. They're not being given the right formula to work with.

This smacks of a coaching issue we're he's got us too conservative, a fullback that is ineffective with ball in hand, and a severe lack of speed in the backs. When I see teams like the Storm I can only dream we can capitalise on the chances they do as a direct result of the speed they possess.
No one knows what George is doing, every time he gets the ball. That is squarely his fault

The individualistic attack though has been a feature of us ever since Sticky
User avatar
Green Taipan
David Grant
Posts: 770
Joined: April 2, 2008, 9:42 am
Favourite Player: Big Mal
Location: Belco

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Green Taipan »

Groundskeeer Willie wrote: September 5, 2020, 8:29 pm
Green Taipan wrote: September 5, 2020, 8:27 pm Williams kicking on the 1st or 2nd tackle with noone ready to chase was a disaster. We are not using our brains in the red zone. Jack making his usual mistake of not finding touch which ultimately lead to a Chooks try.
How was it a disaster. He forced a repeat set for **** sake. Give yourself an uppercut.
Now my friend you might understand what professionalism means. We need to take full advantage when we are in the red zone and not roll the dice on a nothing play in an early tackle. The Roosters are a professional team with a professional coach we aren't!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2020
User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 31098
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by dubby »

Semi should not play nrl again this year.
User avatar
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11284
Joined: January 6, 2005, 8:44 pm
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Canberra Milk »

This is cringe from the CEO
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29312
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Botman »

It remains utterly confusing that our attack is substanically worse with a superior player in the #7 spot.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12217
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by julian87 »

afgtnk wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:18 pm George can hold his head up high tonight. Done plenty to put pressure on and manage the game well
This team was better with Sezer.

There. I said it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo
Posts: 192
Joined: August 21, 2020, 9:35 pm
Favourite Player: King George

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Groundskeeer Willie »

The roosters were brilliant tonight, but they didn't bear us.. We beat ourselves without a slither of a doubt. We didn't come out fired up in the 2nd half, and made so many stupid errors that let the roosters off the hook time and time again.. We will be back though. We will grow and learn from that experience and just need to hope for a Parramatta choke how to reclaim that top 4 spot
Old School Green
Simon Woolford
Posts: 445
Joined: May 9, 2007, 11:20 am

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Old School Green »

Probably a good indication of where we are at. Have struggled with points a lot of season bat last few weeks against lower teams.
We can definitely match them in intensity and toughness but are still missing that strike in the 20.
Thought Wighton was quiet there tonight. Most times he ran he was hitting Croker at the line.
2 roosters tries from kicks and one a rebound at that.
In some ways maybe 4th spot is a good one to miss. Who really wants Penrith at Penrith atm.
Hope Papa ok. He played on so that’s good news.
Valemi played like a 3 game rookie against top opposition. To be kind of expected.
Far too many errors at key times to win big games like that.
On a positive note for the first time in a long time I feel we didn’t get fingered by the refs.
Ps SBW is a myth and offers little to nothing. Probably taking the spot of someone more worthy for them. Unless he improves massively in a month, it’s pure distraction for mine
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the green !!
julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12217
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:31 pm It remains utterly confusing that our attack is substanically worse with a superior player in the #7 spot.
He is not a superior 7 though. He is far, far inferior. Is he a better league player? Probably. But he's not a better halfback. And he is absolutely not a better fit for our best player Jack Wighton.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo
Posts: 192
Joined: August 21, 2020, 9:35 pm
Favourite Player: King George

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Groundskeeer Willie »

julian87 wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:31 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:18 pm George can hold his head up high tonight. Done plenty to put pressure on and manage the game well
This team was better with Sezer.

There. I said it.
If you seriously believe that you should get your head checked. Williams is 100 times the player Sezer ever was.
Old School Green
Simon Woolford
Posts: 445
Joined: May 9, 2007, 11:20 am

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Old School Green »

julian87 wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:32 pm
Botman wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:31 pm It remains utterly confusing that our attack is substanically worse with a superior player in the #7 spot.
He is not a superior 7 though. He is far, far inferior. Is he a better league player? Probably. But he's not a better halfback. And he is absolutely not a better fit for our best player Jack Wighton.
Missing a strike centre and whatever you think of Hodgo sometimes, he makes things happens
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the green !!
Groundskeeer Willie
Sam Backo
Posts: 192
Joined: August 21, 2020, 9:35 pm
Favourite Player: King George

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Groundskeeer Willie »

julian87 wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:32 pm
Botman wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:31 pm It remains utterly confusing that our attack is substanically worse with a superior player in the #7 spot.
He is not a superior 7 though. He is far, far inferior. Is he a better league player? Probably. But he's not a better halfback. And he is absolutely not a better fit for our best player Jack Wighton.
Seriously stop. Just **** stop and go to bed. You're making my head hurt.
User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8311
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by afgtnk »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:29 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:27 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:20 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:18 pm George can hold his head up high tonight. Done plenty to put pressure on and manage the game well
He has to shoulder blame for the floundering attack
Naturally halves will always cop their share of it in situations like this, but I think little can be put on both he and Wighton overall (even if Jack had a stinker tonight). I'm not seeing them squandering chances or being unable to see things. They're not being given the right formula to work with.

This smacks of a coaching issue we're he's got us too conservative, a fullback that is ineffective with ball in hand, and a severe lack of speed in the backs. When I see teams like the Storm I can only dream we can capitalise on the chances they do as a direct result of the speed they possess.
No one knows what George is doing, every time he gets the ball. That is squarely his fault

The individualistic attack though has been a feature of us ever since Sticky
I don't see how. He more often than not has no one running with any speed or purpose outside him, and no second receiver. Literally just ambling, I've taken note of it throughout the entire season. If he had multiple options each time he received the ball, then criticism would be fair. Smacks of our coaching

Jack's side is different, they run set plays at speed with a second receiver, who unfortunately as mentioned is ineffective. Notice how when George was able to link up with Elliott he instantly looked more dangerous, and nearly put him over for a try
LastRaider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1976
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Face it, we new from last year to go up a level we needed to improve our attack. Well, let’s be honest, it has gotten worse.
User avatar
1992
David Furner
Posts: 3663
Joined: April 24, 2011, 4:08 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by 1992 »

Finals match come early. We have to win our next 3 and are more than capable.

Eels hopefully bag out.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8311
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by afgtnk »

julian87 wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:31 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:18 pm George can hold his head up high tonight. Done plenty to put pressure on and manage the game well
This team was better with Sezer.

There. I said it.
:lol:

Requesting permission to those who own the copyright to GG
Post Reply