Huawei ends major sponsorship agreement

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Canberra Raiders split with major sponsor Huawei after almost 10 years

The Canberra Raiders will hunt for a new major sponsor after financial difficulties saw Huawei pull the pin a year before their contract expired to end a near decade-long partnership.

The club's longest serving major sponsor will terminate their agreement at the end of the 2020 season with "the continued negative business environment is having a larger than originally forecasted impact on our planned revenue stream".

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225

Huawei set to end Canberra Raiders major sponsorship

Huawei Australia regrets to announce that the current 2020 National Rugby League (NRL) season will be our final year as major sponsor of the Canberra Raiders after nearly a decade together.

The Canberra Raiders was Huawei’s first ever major sporting sponsorship in the world. Over the past nine years Huawei has felt very much part of the Raiders family and our sponsorship has been a company highlight during some very difficult periods.

Huawei announced a new two-season deal with the Canberra Raiders in June 2019 to run through to the end of the 2021 NRL season.

However, the continued negative business environment is having a larger than originally forecasted impact on our planned revenue stream and therefore we will have to terminate our major sponsorship of the Raiders at the end of the 2020 season.

The Huawei logo will be re-located to the back of the Raiders jersey and Huawei will retain naming rights of the new Huawei Raiders Training Centre in Canberra that will continue to be important showcase of our technology.

Huawei would like to thank the Raiders Chairman and Board of Directors, club management, coaching team, players and fans who have always welcomed and supported Huawei.

We are proud to have played a role in this great team and believe that our shared values have underpinned the success of this partnership.

Jeremy Mitchell, Chief Corporate Affairs Officer, Huawei Australia:

“We are very proud of our major sponsorship of the Raiders and the fact that it lasted for almost ten years shows how successful the partnership has been.

“Ricky Stuart often talks about the importance of the Raiders jersey, what it represents and stands for, Huawei understood that and felt very privileged that our name was part of the Clubs history and part of the Raiders story.

“It is so disappointing that it has ended this way but are very proud of the small role we have played in this great NRL club.

“Our near decade as major sponsor of the Raiders has been one of the most successful in Australian sport and we are very sad that it has come to an end.

“Through our annual charity round Huawei has not only raised much needed funds but has provided a platform for charities to profile their work to millions of Australian they otherwise would not have been able to reach. We are proud of this achievement and the social impact we have made.

“Even after the Turnbull government banned us from 5G we managed to find the resources to continue the sponsorship but we just can’t financially support it any longer.

“We have stuck with the Raiders through the very tough times and they have stuck with us too during our recent tough times, we have formed friendships and memories that will endure forever.

“We now turn our attention to the rest of the 2020 NRL season and hope with all our hearts that the Raiders can go one better and pull off that long awaited Grand Final win this year.”

Don Furner, Canberra Raiders CEO, said:

“The Canberra Raiders and Huawei have enjoyed a fantastic partnership for nearly a decade – they have been by far our longest serving major sponsor.

“Huawei’s commitment to the Raiders has been unwavering and we have worked together to achieve so much for the Raiders family, Rugby League itself and the broader community with our charity work.

“This relationship has been about so much more than just a logo on a jersey, we have worked with Huawei on a number of very important community initiatives and fundraising opportunities for very worthwhile causes.

“We are very sad that they will be stepping back as major sponsor of the Raiders but we are very proud of all that we have achieved together and we hope we can finish this season off successfully.”

Ricky Stuart, Canberra Raiders Head Coach said:

“While some people talk about having strong partnerships, they don’t mean very much until you go through bad times together and back each other up.

“We at the Raiders supported Huawei Australia through a difficult period and Huawei supported us through a very difficult time as well.

“Huawei and the Raiders went well beyond simply being a commercial arrangement, we forged a very strong relationship that became very personal and it is one which we will always be grateful for.”

Huawei media release

Bring back the milk..

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: Huawei ends major sponsorship agreement

Post by Mercury »

Can't say I'm upset. Never sat too well with me.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

That's a shame but a great opportunity for the Raiders to secure a less political sponsor.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

10 years! Wow, that went quickly.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: August 31, 2020, 11:22 am That's a shame but a great opportunity for the Raiders to secure a less political sponsor.
Hopefully not like the CPSU. :doubt:

(I say that as a member)
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

This is a blow.
In the current climate it will be difficult to get that kind of money before next season preparations begin.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sort of inevitable given the broader political and economic environment.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

i really hope we reach out to redbull as a sponsor. they love throwing money into thing
Dont delete this GE
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

greeneyed wrote: August 31, 2020, 11:51 am Sort of inevitable given the broader political and economic environment.
Agree. Was more when not if.

Given our success of late i'm sure as an organisation that we should be able to attract some decent interest. Although it is a difficult time, successful enterprise knows good opportunities when they arise and i imagine Don and the board connections would have options to pursue.

Something like Geocon would be pretty suitable; local company (doing big things literally) and always looking at interesting marketing opportunities from what i see?
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

simo wrote: August 31, 2020, 12:08 pm i really hope we reach out to redbull as a sponsor. they love throwing money into thing
Would be awesome. The CEO of the aussie business used to live in Canberra and is a champion guy. Jason Sargent is his name. Someone reach out or get a campaign happening BOOM! :woot:
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Old School Green wrote:
simo wrote: August 31, 2020, 12:08 pm i really hope we reach out to redbull as a sponsor. they love throwing money into thing
Would be awesome. The CEO of the aussie business used to live in Canberra and is a champion guy. Jason Sargent is his name. Someone reach out or get a campaign happening BOOM! :woot:
monster would be a better fit

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Capitol Chilled Foods are still with us.
Maybe throw Canberra Milk on the front again.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Not great timing, its going to be very hard to find a new major sponsor in the next 6 months.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Well, I hope there's another corporate puppet of a semi-hostile government power seeking to influence federal communications policy out there!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Thought they recently extended?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: August 31, 2020, 11:22 am That's a shame but a great opportunity for the Raiders to secure a less political sponsor.
Agree its a shame but we have a history of 'unusual' sponsors though, such as Huawei and the CFMEU. It will be interesting to see where DFJ goes next. Toilet paper has proved so popular this year perhaps we could look to Quilton or Kleenex as a major sponsor with the jingle 'we are going to wipe' the opposition.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

This is worrying in this climate. The only corporate who has the ability to fill this in this climate is Denman Prospecting.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Denman Prospect is a residential development in under the Capital Airport Group. So the Denman Prospect/airport sponsorship is basically the same deal

I doubt they're in a position seeing the airport is bleeding money atm

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

The Huawei logo looked totally awful anyway. Will go down as the worst Raiders jersey ever.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Any UK companies that might be interested in promoting their business in Oz? We seem to get everything else from over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I know they've been good for the club, but I don't like Huawei.

The writing has been on the wall for quite some time, that said I thought they'd stick it out until the end of 2021. They'll be on the back of the jersey next year, so I'll have to wait until at least 2022 to get a 'clean' jersey.

I'll be glad to see us move to somebody else, though I'm sure the club would've liked to hang on to Huawei. I'm going to cross my fingers for a sponsor that I can have on a jersey and not feel weird about it.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: August 31, 2020, 12:30 pm Well, I hope there's another corporate puppet of a semi-hostile government power seeking to influence federal communications policy out there!
I'm sure there is, friend... im sure there is.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

T_R wrote:Well, I hope there's another corporate puppet of a semi-hostile government power seeking to influence federal communications policy out there!
Will the TikTok Raiders do?

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Rick wrote:Any UK companies that might be interested in promoting their business in Oz? We seem to get everything else from over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
who is Wigan's major sponsor?

Edrick The Entertainer
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

For something less political, maybe we could get CFMEU back on board
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ISC extend their partnership with the Canberra Raiders: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08 ... a-raiders/

I thought they'd collapsed or were close to...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

simo wrote:i really hope we reach out to redbull as a sponsor. they love throwing money into thing
Thing is, it seems as though being Sponsored by Red Bull means to be taken over by Red Bull. See RB Salzburg, RB New York and RB Leipzig.

What's BP or John Deere up to? Maybe Video Ezy want to get some recognition again..
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on August 31, 2020, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sid wrote: August 31, 2020, 1:12 pm
T_R wrote:Well, I hope there's another corporate puppet of a semi-hostile government power seeking to influence federal communications policy out there!

THAT'S the kind of out of the box thinking we're looking for here. I understand the Wuhan Institute of Virology is also dealing with some short-term PR issues.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

T_R wrote:
Sid wrote: August 31, 2020, 1:12 pm

THAT'S the kind of out of the box thinking we're looking for here. I understand the Wuhan Institute of Virology is also dealing with some short-term PR issues.
someone catchy like Infiniti, Great Wall or Lexus or something

Edrick The Entertainer
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 31, 2020, 2:30 pm
simo wrote:i really hope we reach out to redbull as a sponsor. they love throwing money into thing
Thing is, it seems as though being Sponsored by Red Bull means to be taken over by Red Bull. See RB Salzburg, RB New York and RB Leipzig.

What's BP or John Deere up to? Maybe Video Ezy want to get some recognition again..
if it helps us go to the next level, im comfortable supporting the RB Raiders
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Surely there's a reputable Russian communications company we can get on board?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I know a bloke who runs a very successful porta-loo hire business.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

We have a local basketball team still getting around with Ansett sponsorship on their jerseys. Raiders could use a dedicated sponsor like that, continuing to support a local club even through this rough patch they're going through..
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

I hope V'Landys is putting the hard word on ChNein to spread the TV games out a bit better next year, else we'll be getting sponsored by The Derek Zoolander Schools for Kids Who Want to Learn to Read Good...
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Surely Foxtel owe us big time.

Channel Nine could be our inside headgear sponsor.

We’d give them as much coverage as they give us.