Roosters 13+
11%

Total votes: 19

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: September 1, 2020, 6:39 pm Concerned that Starling isn’t starting as we need a good start with points
What makes you think he won't start?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Six years on and Sonny Bill Williams is still centre of attention

Sonny Bill Williams has just turned 35 and hasn’t played in the NRL for six years but in a bow to his superstar status, Fox League is set to have a camera trained solely on the Sydney Roosters forward in Canberra on Saturday night.

Williams kept a low profile at Roosters training on Monday but he will be the centre of attention at GIO Stadium. Williams is expected to make his mark off the interchange bench but, when he does enter the action, a camera will shadow his every move. The last time Fox League had a dedicated camera on one player was when Jarryd Hayne returned to the Gold Coast from the NFL four years ago.

Read more: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... a4cd846653
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt Timoko ready for whatever Canberra Raiders role he has in Sydney Roosters build-up

On the bench. In the reserves. Matt Timoko is ready for whatever role he has to play for the Canberra Raiders ahead of their blockbuster against the Sydney Roosters this week.

"Honestly it was probably the best feeling of my life [to debut], just getting out with a bunch of boys that I've looked up to since I got here, it was an amazing feeling," Timoko said. "I was just so excited to get out there and fulfill a childhood dream, it was crazy.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: September 1, 2020, 6:55 pm Six years on and Sonny Bill Williams is still centre of attention

Sonny Bill Williams has just turned 35 and hasn’t played in the NRL for six years but in a bow to his superstar status, Fox League is set to have a camera trained solely on the Sydney Roosters forward in Canberra on Saturday night.

Williams kept a low profile at Roosters training on Monday but he will be the centre of attention at GIO Stadium. Williams is expected to make his mark off the interchange bench but, when he does enter the action, a camera will shadow his every move. The last time Fox League had a dedicated camera on one player was when Jarryd Hayne returned to the Gold Coast from the NFL four years ago.

You know..

I can't remember the last time I missed a Raiders game. This SBW circus has me thinking about sitting in my shed and listening to the radio instead of watching the game..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Pathetic isnt it, I hope whitehead accidently rips his lips over his head.
This place is woke.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Love that the GF rematch and coincidentally the return of SBW is not covered by nine but instead they went with Broncos and Panthers and Warriors Eels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Six years on and Sonny Bill Williams is still centre of attention

Hahahaha oh boy! Looking forward to watching raiders’ fans heads explode over this move!
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

On NRL 360 Kenty says that knowing Sticky as well as he does, he expects that he'll wind up Bateman big time, tell him there is a red dot on SBW's chest and run right through it.

Would love to see it happen tbh...
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The chooks will definitely run a SBW decoy play. Seeing 13 blokes hit the decoy is going to bring back those 2014 feels. Just need to add a crab and a falcon.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

If it's a clean rib-hit we need, sic Starling on him, he's good for a crunch.

For SBW...let's just drop Papa on him.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

raiderskater wrote: September 1, 2020, 8:40 pm If it's a clean rib-hit we need, sic Starling on him, he's good for a crunch.

For SBW...let's just drop Papa on him.
Love the imagery 😂😂😂

SBW. I could vomit just looking at him.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im not worried about it being clean... im actually perfectly fine with it being dirty... even if it's late, if its a rib shot it would have to be SUPER late for it to be anything more than a penalty...

Just hit him, and hit him again. The back 3's instructions should be to find Keary on kick returns and run right at him... we're taking the piss if we dont test those ribs out early and often
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

Question wrote: September 1, 2020, 7:35 pm Pathetic isnt it, I hope whitehead accidently rips his lips over his head.
Whitehead was on a roll for a while, causing injuries.

He's been too quiet - Elliott, your mission is.....take him down.

Make us proud!! 😉
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I think Ricky will be too experienced to fall into the SBW hype. Yes he's good, but he won't play big minutes and we can contain him. Keary and Tedesco are the ones to focus on for them.

Roosters have a very strong line up but so do we. They are more concerned about us I reckon - rushing Keary back into the line up, and so they should be. We have an awesome and skillful pack. Now with Jack and our best half in over 20 years. It's unfortunate that we had a short turnaround and they had 2 days extra preparation, but they need to travel on the day. I hope the ACT Government come to their senses to lift the quota for this clash of the titans so there is a hostile atmosphere. I wish I was in Canberra and not Hong Kong watching it through Fox.

Ricky will try to address us starting well as the Roosters start fast. Being patient with the ball and getting our defence right at the outset will be key. Roosters also have good defence, but it is not as good as previous years. I'm just saying that w/o analysing the statistics, but watching their games against Wests, GC, Melbourne - they do give chances. I would like to see us play expansively shifting the ball out of our own half like what GC did to them over a month ago and what we did against Parramatta in the last 5 mins, and then we use the offloads to create momentum.

Except the last 20 min of the first half against Penrith, we have held our own against the big teams. It is great and exciting to be a Raiders supporter as I feel there is something there with us. I am confident that we will win and really put a shake in the competition as all the experts assumed Roosters will be top 4. We need our four key men - Jack, Papa, G Williams and Bateman play well and above average. I am not discounting the rest of the team, and they will need to fulfil their roles (e.g. Scott on J Morris in defence, Tapine with his great offloads and runs) but those four are the key in bringing it home for us.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Probably Keary more important. Ex-Raider Tedesco has a soft spot for his old club and will take it easy on us.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Robinson will have the papalii puff piece on repeat for his forwards all week

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: September 1, 2020, 9:07 pm Probably Keary more important. Ex-Raider Tedesco has a soft spot for his old club and will take it easy on us.
Wish he thought about that in the GF last year...
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Finchy wrote: September 1, 2020, 10:23 pm
gangrenous wrote: September 1, 2020, 9:07 pm Probably Keary more important. Ex-Raider Tedesco has a soft spot for his old club and will take it easy on us.
he did try and give us 6 again but long time roosters member cummins took it away
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: September 1, 2020, 10:05 pm Robinson will have the papalii puff piece on repeat for his forwards all week

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Been a couple of those this year. Paps has actually backed them up on the field.

Can't see SBW living up to the hype this weekend. I'm actually glad we're getting him first up and not with a few games under his belt. He'll have minimal impact in the game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

More minutes SBW gets the better. The Poms will rip into him. No respect after the dross he's served up in the SL.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Just got my ticket, get it on

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Elcaptcroker wrote: September 2, 2020, 9:17 am Just got my ticket, get it on

Bingo. Me too. Pumped.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I managed to get one in the Meninga Stand. Very happy with that.
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

Cordner and Keary have been recently injured.SBW hasn’t played for months.The Roosters have had big wins over Wests and the Broncos but lost to the storm who have good defence.
The Raiders can aim up against the roosters they don’t need motivation.
I predict a good tough game that will test the ribs of both teams.
Raiders to win in a tight one.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Get back the Ten wrote: September 2, 2020, 10:15 am Cordner and Keary have been recently injured.SBW hasn’t played for months.The Roosters have had big wins over Wests and the Broncos but lost to the storm who have good defence.
The Raiders can aim up against the roosters they don’t need motivation.
I predict a good tough game that will test the ribs of both teams.
Raiders to win in a tight one.

Crichton and Aubusson potential inclusions too. Makes the team look stronger on paper. In practise they could be a little underdone.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Outside of being on the end of the final play he was well contained in the grand final he didn't create anything really.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sonny won't be the focus: Josh Papalii

The hype surrounding the return of Sonny Bill Williams to the NRL is in overdrive.

He's been selected in the No. 17 jersey - on the bench - by the Roosters in Saturday night's Grand Final re-match against the Canberra Raiders in the nation's capital. Most of the Sydney media can barely contain themselves.

Fox League has announced that they will have a special "SBW-cam" trained on Williams the entire night, allowing viewers to see every SBW second of the game. The last time they did that was for the return of Jarryd Hayne to the NRL, after trying to break into the NFL.

Ricky Stuart welcomed Sonny Bill Williams' third coming to the NRL earlier this week, but Josh Papalii was today playing it cool.

"It's pretty exciting to have him back in the NRL," Papalii dead panned.

"He'll boost the game, and obviously the game on Saturday as well. I'm looking forward to Sonny being back. Hopefully, it's not as good a return for Sonny, but I'm happy to see him back."

Papalii does not expect coach Ricky Stuart will focus his preparations around the 35 year old former rugby league and union international.

"Knowing Stick as a coach, Sonny probably won't be the focus," Papalii said.

"I think it's the players around Sonny that make Sonny... obviously, a good player."

"But we'll play the Roosters that have won back to back premierships."

"I think the focus will be on players like Cordner, their halves, Tedesco. Sonny coming off the bench boosts their line up. Obviously, he's a good player who has been at the top for a long time. Like I said before, I'm happy to see him back, but we'll still need to perform."

Papalii says that the Raiders can take some confidence from that fact that they beat the Roosters in the Round 10 clash earlier this season - despite facing a huge injury toll.

"We really had the same squad [in Round 10], as we do now," Papalii said.

"It's still missing a few key players. We've got Hodgo and Sia, our main senior players out. We've got a lot of young boys coming through that are keen to play some footy and we're going to need them."

Papalii believes the Roosters forward pack is one of the Sydney outfit's key strengths.

"I think their forward pack is probably the most obvious one, with Jared leading the way for them. It's obviously going to be a tough one for us in the middle."

'But like I said before, with the young boys we have at the club who are keen to play some footy I think it might work in our favour."

And then, of course, there's the Roosters' backs.

"Their forward pack... and they've got the best player in the world with Teddy at the back patrolling. They're going to be tough to beat."

Papalii has started from the bench in recent weeks, in a bid to freshen him up for the run to the finals.

"I just felt like I'd started a few times during the season, I just didn't feel I had the same punch as I did heading into the finals last year," Papalii said.

"I thought the best thing for the team was for me to go to the bench for a few weeks and I think it worked.

"I felt good coming on, especially last week, having a lot of ball and just trying to run my show when I got on. I think it worked last week."

Expect Josh Papalii to be on the field from the first minute this week.

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Papalii: We can't focus on SBW: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... us-on-sbw/

Josh Papalii says family a consideration in contract call, but hopes to remain with Canberra Raiders for a long time: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34203&p=1754847#p1754847

James Tedesco bigger danger than Sonny-Bill Williams: Papalii

Raiders enforcer Josh Papalii believes containing James Tedesco is key to beating the Roosters on Saturday.

"Any break the Roosters make, Teddy's always there and scoring some freakish tries as well. He's always just around the ball, and without the ball he's always on the run and saving tries. He's just one of those who can create something out of nothing. We're going to have to be on our best game.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Unwavering members donate $100,000 to the Raiders Foundation: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... oundation/

PODCAST: Behind the limelight: John Bateman: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... -bateman2/

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders V Roosters: http://ow.ly/5Y2w50BejPg

GAME DAY GUIDE: Michael Weyman to blow the Viking Horn for the Roosters match: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... -roosters/

SET OF SIX: Raiders v Roosters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... -roosters/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2020 Rd 17 V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by The Nickman »

“Sonny won’t be the focus” says fifteenth headline in a row about Sonny Bill Williams
SimplyThePest
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by SimplyThePest »

Our first halves have been poor for a while now. Another one of those and we'll find ourselves in a similar hole to what we did against Penrith. I don't doubt the boys will be up for it but it'll be interesting to see whether that changes this week. Nervous, excited, huge game.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

they mentioned on nrl 360 that fox will have a "Sonny cam" in effect for this game :lol:
The guy is probably only going to play 20min so that's a lot of footage of him sitting on the sideline. Needs audio of "Sonny's thoughts" to go with it.
SimplyThePest
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by SimplyThePest »

Belcher#1 wrote: September 2, 2020, 2:32 pm they mentioned on nrl 360 that fox will have a "Sonny cam" in effect for this game :lol:
The guy is probably only going to play 20min so that's a lot of footage of him sitting on the sideline. Needs audio of "Sonny's thoughts" to go with it.
What a world we live in, eh.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Belcher#1 wrote: September 2, 2020, 2:32 pm they mentioned on nrl 360 that fox will have a "Sonny cam" in effect for this game :lol:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
Belcher#1 wrote: September 2, 2020, 2:32 pm they mentioned on nrl 360 that fox will have a "Sonny cam" in effect for this game Image
Tell me when he stops scratching....

.... Kids??

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Raidersteve wrote: September 2, 2020, 10:51 am
Outside of being on the end of the final play he was well contained in the grand final he didn't create anything really.
He could have at least dropped it instead of scoring the winning try
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

A win would be phenomenal here, and would give us the inside running for a top 4 berth. However I don't think we will win this game. Roosters won't be taking us lightly after we got them a few weeks back and they will be mentally switched on for this game I think.

Short of winning, I would be more or less content with a more consistent effort across 80 minutes. Not only will being asleep for 30 mins in a game not cut it against the elite sides, it is enough to have you soundly beaten ala the Penrith game.

Win or lose, the Parra v Warriors game on Sunday will be pretty massive for our top 4 chances too.
Up The Milk