Papalii re-signs to end 2024, option for 2025

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Papalii to become a Raider for life, set to re-sign to end 2024

Post by greeneyed »

Interesting... Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says Josh Papalii has just signed a new contract! About the 4:40 min mark.

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart speaks after his team's win over the St George Illawarra Dragons: https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... nce!785667
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Stuart says Papalii has “just signed a new contract”

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Papalii shoulders his way to a new Canberra Raiders deal

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has confirmed Josh Papalii had penned a two-year extension, which keeps him in Canberra until at least the end of 2024.

"He was really eager to play. That's Papa. He's just signed a new contract, he's really excited. He deserved that time off today. He's always got a turning point, a moment in him, Papa. All the good players do."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 8, 2020, 4:02 pm
The Nickman wrote: September 8, 2020, 2:17 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: September 8, 2020, 9:36 am Raised the question, where are we in regard to coach for the future. Is Sticky in for a Bellamy/Bennett type of run at one club? Does he stick around until the team's fortunes go downhill? Problem with the latter scenario is you tend to hold on too long when it occurs. End up with several failed seasons before action is taken. I'd like to believe we'll be perennial finals contenders for the next 5 years but don't think that's realistic.
I know I cop a lot of **** for this, but Bellamy had the incredible benefit of inheriting a club with Smith, Slater, Cronk and Inglis at the very beginning of their careers. That afforded him 10+ years of stability in key positions.

Stuart has had to cobble together a spine from older Pommy's and unwanted players from other clubs. He doesn't have the luxury of a decade to bring other players in and out around them. We've had a brief window and are already looking to the future. It's tough.
And Frankly, you SHOULD cop a lot of **** for that, because it’s a ridiculous assertion! Bellamy didn’t just inherit a club with those four superstars, he brought them all through the juniors and MADE them who they are. Not a one of those players would’ve been who they are today without the coaching of Bellamy, it’s not the other way around

It’s simply not, and you need to stop peddling that narrative.
I'm sorry
Should have stopped here. Genuinely stupid point of view. I mean that in the nicest, 100% correct way possible
Dont delete this GE
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Josh Papalii shoulders his way to a new Canberra Raiders deal

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has confirmed Josh Papalii had penned a two-year extension, which keeps him in Canberra until at least the end of 2024.

"He was really eager to play. That's Papa. He's just signed a new contract, he's really excited. He deserved that time off today. He's always got a turning point, a moment in him, Papa. All the good players do."

You beauty

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Great news, never in doubt.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: September 12, 2020, 7:26 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: September 8, 2020, 4:02 pm
The Nickman wrote: September 8, 2020, 2:17 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: September 8, 2020, 9:36 am Raised the question, where are we in regard to coach for the future. Is Sticky in for a Bellamy/Bennett type of run at one club? Does he stick around until the team's fortunes go downhill? Problem with the latter scenario is you tend to hold on too long when it occurs. End up with several failed seasons before action is taken. I'd like to believe we'll be perennial finals contenders for the next 5 years but don't think that's realistic.
I know I cop a lot of **** for this, but Bellamy had the incredible benefit of inheriting a club with Smith, Slater, Cronk and Inglis at the very beginning of their careers. That afforded him 10+ years of stability in key positions.

Stuart has had to cobble together a spine from older Pommy's and unwanted players from other clubs. He doesn't have the luxury of a decade to bring other players in and out around them. We've had a brief window and are already looking to the future. It's tough.
And Frankly, you SHOULD cop a lot of **** for that, because it’s a ridiculous assertion! Bellamy didn’t just inherit a club with those four superstars, he brought them all through the juniors and MADE them who they are. Not a one of those players would’ve been who they are today without the coaching of Bellamy, it’s not the other way around

It’s simply not, and you need to stop peddling that narrative.
I'm sorry
Should have stopped here. Genuinely stupid point of view. I mean that in the nicest, 100% correct way possible
Thanks. I'll be sure to take that on board.

To be perfectly frank, my opinion is based on what the vast majority of successful coaches of team sport talk about. Stuart says it himself. Successful teams are driven by top tier talent.

So with all due respect, I don't particularly care how much smoke is blown up Craig Bellamy's ass. He's a very good coach and his club still systematically rorted the salary cap to retain talent at the height of his success. That's a fact.

History also shows he has won 2 premierships in 17 seasons to date, and has also lost a grand final by a record margin. No sure how highly I rate that return, given his reputation as a perennial winner.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on September 12, 2020, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

So Paps has decided to extend his contract before asking for a release. Interesting tactic.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

On his first half form today he is the premier prop forward in the game today, superb.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

He had some time in the second half to read it over and dot the i's

Raider for life sounds pretty good.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Papa is the best prop in the game.
Wighton is the best 6 in the game.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Papa you animal..we love you big man.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:Papa you animal..we love you big man.
Hell yeah, the beast with the softest mitts

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Great news, especially with Bateman on the way out.

The playing group will love the shiz out of Papa committing long term.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Great stuff big Papa,we love you :D
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The greatest part of this news is the sad sack Broncos supporters getting their hopes dashed.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: September 13, 2020, 7:26 pm The greatest part of this news is the sad sack Broncos supporters getting their hopes dashed.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
That, and that only a few years ago the rumour of Papa leaving to the Bronco's would have been such a real and existential threat that this place would have gone into complete meltdown because there was a real feeling it was hard to keep anyone good.

This time around people barely blinked and almost had a laugh at the Bronco's because really, who would want to go there. Times are good.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Papalii re-signs to end 2024, option for 2025

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Papalii extends his time in green

The Canberra Raiders are thrilled to announce that star forward Josh Papalii has extended his current deal with the club for a further three seasons.

Papalii, 28, is already on contract until the end of 2022 but has agreed to an extension until the end of 2024 with a further option for 2025.

The three-time Meninga Medallist continues to be one of the most consistent and integral parts of the Green Machine and has become one of the genuine superstars of the game.

Earlier this season Papalii played his 200th NRL match for the club since debuting in 2011 and has now played 215 matches for the Raiders.

Papalii said the deal would effectively make him a Raider for life and his home was well and truly in Canberra.

“I love this club and I love Canberra,” Papalii said. “This is my home now and my family and I are very happy to be remaining with the Raiders and in Canberra.

“I came here as a junior player, made my debut here and played my 200th NRL game here and there’s no other club I want to play for.”

Raiders CEO Don Furner said extending Papalii’s deal was huge for the club, as he’s become a player the club can continue to build their future around.

“There’s no doubt Josh has developed into one of the all-time greats of our club and he is now recognised among the game’s elite superstars,” Furner said. “His commitment to the club and the city of Canberra is wonderful to see and we know we have a player who we can continue to be a big part of our club for years to come.”

Canberra Raiders media release

Josh Papalii signs contract extension with Canberra Raiders

Raiders enforcer Josh Papalii has inked a three-year contract extension which will keep him in lime green until at least the end of 2024.

Papalii's new deal comes with an option to extend for one more season in 2025, and has doused speculation he would return to Queensland to see out the twilight of his career.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Great news!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Almost certain to go down now as our greatest ever forward.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: September 15, 2020, 11:11 am Almost certain to go down now as our greatest ever forward.
A premiership will have him in the conversation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

According to NRL.com, 2025 is a playe option: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23/202 ... s/#raiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He'll break 300fg games for the club..

I'm going to work soon and I'll be telling everyone the good news.

Love ya Papa.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Looks like starling has also re signed for 2 more years. Good day

@DaveRic1 on Twitter

BREAKING: The ultimate reward for a season that few would’ve predicted, @RaidersCanberra hooker Tom Starling has re-signed for a further two-years. @telegraph_sport

https://twitter.com/DaveRic1/status/1305703063940771841
Dont delete this GE
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

How good!!!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: September 15, 2020, 1:17 pm Looks like starling has also re signed for 2 more years. Good day
Good day to you too, sir!!
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

The Nickman wrote: September 15, 2020, 1:26 pm
simo wrote: September 15, 2020, 1:17 pm Looks like starling has also re signed for 2 more years. Good day
Good day to you too, sir!!
i said good day!
Dont delete this GE
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Papalii re-signs to end 2024, option for 2025

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Papalii: I get to call Canberra home

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii has extended his deal with the Green Machine until at least the end of 2024. He was already contracted to the end of 2022.

The 28 year old could well be a Raider for life, with the new deal including an option in his favour to remain in green until the end of 2025. He's more than happy with that.

"It was something I was looking forward to settling before I started this year, but that wasn't the case with everything going on," Papalii said today.

"I sat down with the club a few weeks ago and finally got it down. My wife and I and my kids, all of my family, were very happy to put this behind me now, and just focus on footy."

Papalii recently spoke about how his family was based in Brisbane, with his and his wife's parents starting to age - and that would be a consideration in settling a new deal. He stressed that he wanted to stay with the Raiders, but Brisbane media reports jumped to the conclusion that a move to a Queensland club could be an option.

"I didn't talk on it on a planned basis," Papalii explained today.

"I was just thinking of my parents who are starting to get on, and my wife's parents as well. I never said that I was going to move on and play for a Queensland club. I just said I wanted to go and look after my parents."

"In saying that, it's finally put a lot of critics to bed, a lot of people that messaged me. I finally get to say that I call Canberra home for the next four to five years."

"I've been here 10 years now, so it's hard to go back to Logan. I've forgotten many roads now up there," he joked.

"Canberra has been a big part of my life and my career. A lot of people have helped me on the way and I'm glad that I can re-sign with the club - and hopefully play the best four or five years of my career."

Papalii is happy he'll now likely be a one club man - along with a couple players he started his career with at the club.

"There's a few of us that started our careers together. Jack Wighton and I especially, Toots who's a bit older," Papalii said.

"The prospect of us finishing together, I don't think it's been done at a club where three boys have played all their careers together and get to finish together."

"This long term deal means that becomes a possibility and that's something I look forward to as well. I'm pretty stoked about it."

Papalii is also looking forward to the return of Sia Soliola - someone Papalii calls his mentor - to the field soon.

"Sia has been my roomie for the last five years. Some of his stories put me to bed," he laughed.

"Him being the kind of person he is, and the player he is, I've learned a lot from Sia. Not only as a player, but as a person as well, given his Polynesian background.

"Many things I struggled with as a young father, he shared his experiences, some things I could learn on the way."

"He's been a massive mentor of mine through the last five or six years. He's always texting me. 'Come in the next day and train your best.' So Sia is definitely a massive mentor of mine."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Papalii: Canberra is home: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... a-is-home/

VIDEO: One club Papalii: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/15/one-club-papalii/

Josh Papalii signs contract extension with Canberra Raiders

Raiders enforcer Josh Papalii has declared his best football is still ahead of him after penning a contract extension that will ensure he finishes his decorated NRL career as a one-club player.

"My goal is to get to another grand final and hopefully win that one," Papalii said. "We're a tight-knit group. This club's just transformed into not only a playing group but a group of friends who enjoy working together."

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii speaks after his contract extension became official today. Nine News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/WO0B50Br0hg

VIDEO: Papalii becomes a Raider for life. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/Fvn050Br1p6
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Seriously, how good has Sia Soliola been for this club?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 15, 2020, 4:20 pm Seriously, how good has Sia Soliola been for this club?
Immense.
Really forged this new culture were enjoying now.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Today was a good day
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

@DaveRic1 on Twitter

BREAKING: The ultimate reward for a season that few would’ve predicted, @RaidersCanberra hooker Tom Starling has re-signed for a further two-years. @telegraph_sport

https://twitter.com/DaveRic1/status/1305703063940771841
More good news
WorkChoice
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Great to see Papa will be a one club player and even better that the Club is the Raiders. He is right up there with the best forwards I have watched for the Raiders. Great comment about Sia. The culture senior players bring to a club matters. Well done to Sticky and DFJ too.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I just couldn’t imagine him playing elsewhere. And he says the best is yet to come, that’s exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Seriously. Our club just re-signed the best front rower in the game with no fuss. The Canberra raiders, retaining an elite player. This is living!
Dont delete this GE