No votes

Total votes: 19

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2020 Rd 16 V Bulldogs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: August 29, 2020, 11:38 am Ricky Stuart interview on ABC Canberra Grandstand:
Defence. It's about individuals doing their job.
I hope this is ringing in the ears of the players as they take the field for the rest of the season. I also hope we see a return of aggressive defence. We saw the Storm defeat the Chooks by completely disrupting them with aggressive defence. The Panthers were highlighted on the Footy Show this morning giving it to the West Tigers with tackle after tackle pressure. It is a method of dominating the opposition and I hope we are back into it, starting with todays game.
Agree 100%, Red

Returning to co-captains ASAP is pretty important for that defensive structure too, I suspect
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: August 30, 2020, 1:11 pm
RedRaider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: August 29, 2020, 11:38 am Ricky Stuart interview on ABC Canberra Grandstand:
I hope this is ringing in the ears of the players as they take the field for the rest of the season. I also hope we see a return of aggressive defence. We saw the Storm defeat the Chooks by completely disrupting them with aggressive defence. The Panthers were highlighted on the Footy Show this morning giving it to the West Tigers with tackle after tackle pressure. It is a method of dominating the opposition and I hope we are back into it, starting with todays game.
Agree 100%, Red

Returning to co-captains ASAP is pretty important for that defensive structure too, I suspect
Disagree - would rather have Josh Hodgson captain alone when he returns, as he's evidently and indisputably the best leader of this side.

Croker can captain, but at Mounties. Next season - where he belongs.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

RedRaider wrote:
Agree 100%, Red

:roflmao You're Funny. When the individuals need a rev Loz or Mal style, yep. Actually 'Lozza goes to Hollywood' has a ring to it. :D
But from the man himself: "Having two captains gives us the chance to take the team to the next level .......," Croker said.

Since you've raised it Nickman who would you pick as next captain cab off the rank among the current squad. I've said Jack or Papa with Hodgo unavailable. Your view? (For all those with a different opinion to me I am not wishing anything to happen to JC. I know there are some opinion twisters out there. It is a straight, forward thinking, question).
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

It would probably be Wighton, though I've never been that impressed with his "manner" so to speak (but he might surprise me). Think it would be hard for Papa or any prop to captain - then again Shane Webcke was great in that role wasn't he?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Azza I can't recall Webcke as a Captain of the Broncos because his career overlapped with Darren Lockyer. Maybe as a fill in.
Paul Gallen was a prop and captain. Love him or loathe him, everyone knew when he spoke.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'd pick Whitehead as captain, behind our current lot.

He's a serious player. Respected by all. Has talent and works harder than anyone on and off the pitch + isn't shy of a word. When he talks, people listen.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Finchy wrote:
BadnMean wrote: August 30, 2020, 9:45 am
BJ wrote: August 30, 2020, 12:04 am
Groundskeeer Willie wrote:
BJ wrote: August 28, 2020, 2:44 pm Lachlan Lewis is like Josh McCrone without the sprinkling of diamonds.
Josh mccrone had a sprinkling of diamonds??
Just a very light sprinkling. Enough for a small anklet.

Amongst his many rocks. He did finish high up in try assists for a couple of seasons, help us make the finals and played a couple of games for Country.

Lachlan Lewis is another level below McCrone.
Mc Crone had excellent pace- so he had a decent backing up game and could also zip through a gap himself. His passing game (and kicking game for that matter) was the definition of rocks and diamonds. As likely to rocket a face ball right into the melon of a decoy man as to put someone away. But he did get it right just often enough to have us hoping he'd slow down and refine his craft a bit next season... every season...
Evidently he got it right enough that Joey Johns thought he should have played Origin! :shock:
Joey Johns was all rocks and diamonds. Rocks for brains diamonds for football ability.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

RedRaider wrote: August 30, 2020, 4:03 pm Azza I can't recall Webcke as a Captain of the Broncos because his career overlapped with Darren Lockyer. Maybe as a fill in.
Paul Gallen was a prop and captain. Love him or loathe him, everyone knew when he spoke.
You're probably right. I just feel like Papa is a fairly quiet sort of a bloke on-field who leads more by example and I'm not sure captain would suit him.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: August 30, 2020, 3:27 pm
RedRaider wrote:
Agree 100%, Red

Disagree - would rather have Josh Hodgson captain alone when he returns, as he's evidently and indisputably the best leader of this side.

Jesus Christ, looks like you've decided to dial your anti-Croker rhetoric to full-blown Sezer levels.

Took you a while, but just like the 2020 Canberra Raiders you're finally settling into your groove... just in time for the finals!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote: August 30, 2020, 3:34 pm
RedRaider wrote:
Agree 100%, Red

:roflmao You're Funny. When the individuals need a rev Loz or Mal style, yep. Actually 'Lozza goes to Hollywood' has a ring to it. :D
But from the man himself: "Having two captains gives us the chance to take the team to the next level .......," Croker said.

Since you've raised it Nickman who would you pick as next captain cab off the rank among the current squad. I've said Jack or Papa with Hodgo unavailable. Your view? (For all those with a different opinion to me I am not wishing anything to happen to JC. I know there are some opinion twisters out there. It is a straight, forward thinking, question).
Next long-term captain or short-term while Hodgo is out and if Croker got injured/suspended?

Because short-term I'd have Josh Papalii, long term probably CNK.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

These guys. Bringing back co-captain Hodgo who's not good enough for first grade or co-captain CNK, who's not good enough for first grade, while co-captain Croker who's not good enough for first grade is out. When will it end?
I think recently nominated not good enough for first grade Bateman would make a good short term captain.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Azza wrote: August 30, 2020, 5:28 pm
RedRaider wrote: August 30, 2020, 4:03 pm Azza I can't recall Webcke as a Captain of the Broncos because his career overlapped with Darren Lockyer. Maybe as a fill in.
You're probably right. I just feel like Papa is a fairly quiet sort of a bloke on-field who leads more by example and I'm not sure captain would suit him.
Azza I see good leadership as about having a presence on the field and being in the right space to communicate what the team needs when its needed. I think Papa or Jack could contribute to that. I've read some stuff on here that it's about shouting but that is baloney imo. Good on field leadership is something every team needs but it's not a panacea for always winning or the Storm with Smith would rarely be beaten and have a very full trophy cabinet. Sticky saw our side as needing more and that's why he went with co-captains. I can't think of another reason why he would have done it, other than to benefit the team.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: August 31, 2020, 12:44 pm
RedRaider wrote:
Agree 100%, Red

Jesus Christ, looks like you've decided to dial your anti-Croker rhetoric to full-blown Sezer levels.

Took you a while, but just like the 2020 Canberra Raiders you're finally settling into your groove... just in time for the finals!
Just giving you some of your own trolling medicine, dawg. Looks like you haven't taken it well.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Papalii could be given a job as co-captain, and absolutely nothing would change in terms of on the field leadership. Papalii is not the type to be very vocal within the playing group or with officials... but the coach could name him co-captain tomorrow, life would go on, the results wouldnt change one bit and those criticising Croker for leadership would laud Papalii for his despite nothing about his game or the way he carried himself on the park would change one bit... why?

Because it's not about leadership. It's never been about leadership because no one here has any **** idea about whether he's a bad leader, and all available evidence from players, coaches, reporters, opposition players and coaches... y'know the people who understand what leadership is in this game, at this level, and have seen first hand what his leadership is about... they're all on board... but the idiots sitting in the stands who dont have the faintest idea about it, think they know better. Imagine that ****.

The answer is and has always been simple. This is nothing Croker the leader, and it never has been. It's about Croker the footballer.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

And the proof of the above is that when Croker is playing good football, we dont see Red and co complaining about his leadership. It's literally never mentioned. Not in the game day threads when we're getting a rough run with the officials, not after a tough loss... not at all. When he's playing well and no one has complaints about his game, his leadership is a non issue

When he's down on form, we see this come up. That's how you know its complete and utter Bull :lol:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

All available evidence is from what people witness themselves.....with their own eyes. Over time, years.

Some fluffy, run of the mill backslapping statements coming out of generic interviews and club statements is not evidence to support anyone is a good leader, let alone Croker. When someone in their capacity as part of a club is asked questions along those lines, they're not going to give anything but positivity - unless there is something deeply wrong within the club.

Just how much of an affect Hodgson's had since he was elevated to the captaincy is debatable, but he absolutely, 100% did have an affect. At this point in time, people staunchly defending Croker's playing ability and leadership are simply in denial. It's the same people who have defended him with little to no critique since he started FG. Yet, if there's a weak point in the line up right now, it's him.
Last edited by afgtnk on September 1, 2020, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:
RedRaider wrote: I hope this is ringing in the ears of the players as they take the field for the rest of the season. I also hope we see a return of aggressive defence. We saw the Storm defeat the Chooks by completely disrupting them with aggressive defence. The Panthers were highlighted on the Footy Show this morning giving it to the West Tigers with tackle after tackle pressure. It is a method of dominating the opposition and I hope we are back into it, starting with todays game.
Agree 100%, Red

Just giving you some of your own trolling medicine, dawg. Looks like you haven't taken it well.
I don’t know what gives you the impression I “haven’t taken it well”, old friend. Your ridiculous behaviour continues to amuse me, I’ll admit that, but nothing more, nothing less

I have no idea why your whole posting history revolves around picking out a player and going hard at them, but here we are. I’d like to say you’re better than that, but we both know I’d be wrong
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:All available evidence is from what people witness themselves.....with their own eyes. Over time, years.

Some fluffy, run of the mill backslapping statements coming out of generic interviews and club statements is not evidence to support anyone is a good leader, let alone Croker. When someone in their capacity as part of a club is asked questions along those lines, they're not going to give anything but positivity - unless there is something deeply wrong within the club.

Just how much of an affect Hodgson's had since he was elevated to the captaincy is debatable, but he absolutely, 100% did have an affect. At this point in time, people staunchly defending Croker's playing ability and leadership are simply in denial. It's the same people who have defended him with little to no critique since he started FG. Yet, if there's a weak point in the line up right now, it's him.
Exhibit A, your honour

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I'm really not interesting in arguing further. I've made my points and will move on. It's been done to death.

You won't accept it, just like you couldn't accept Furner, just like you couldn't accept Sezer, and will continue to try and pull the wool over everyone's eyes.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I agree that Croker needs to challenge refs more. The rest of the discussion can burn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

What you, aifhdhaa, see with your eyes about Croker’s leadership apparently doesn’t exist, least not enough for you to pipe up, when he’s playing well

And is also 80 minutes per week, over 24-30 times over a Full time job
You’re seeing less than 1% of his time as job as a leader of this club
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: September 1, 2020, 7:17 pm I'm really not interesting in arguing further. I've made my points and will move on. It's been done to death.

You won't accept it, just like you couldn't accept Furner, just like you couldn't accept Sezer, and will continue to try and pull the wool over everyone's eyes.
Bold **** chat from Sam William’s side piece :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:I'm really not interesting in arguing further. I've made my points and will move on. It's been done to death.

Hahahaha what on EARTH does this have to do with Sezer and Furner?? You’re just swinging for the fences now!!

Sezer’s gone now, m8. You’ve got Croker (and possibly CNK) to focus all your negative energy into now
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2020 Rd 16 V Bulldogs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

Possibly CNK?

This just in, sky possibly blue
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

RedRaider wrote: September 1, 2020, 6:23 pm
Azza wrote: August 30, 2020, 5:28 pm
Azza I see good leadership as about having a presence on the field and being in the right space to communicate what the team needs when its needed. I think Papa or Jack could contribute to that. I've read some stuff on here that it's about shouting but that is baloney imo. Good on field leadership is something every team needs but it's not a panacea for always winning or the Storm with Smith would rarely be beaten and have a very full trophy cabinet. Sticky saw our side as needing more and that's why he went with co-captains. I can't think of another reason why he would have done it, other than to benefit the team.
Like I said, that's all well and good, but I'm not sure that style of leadership befits a captain who has to engage with referees and probably needs to be a bit more vocal.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

For those claiming Hodgson with the C next to his name makes a huge difference to our side, why have we won 6/7 games without him? Maybe it's not that important (results-wise) who has the C.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Finchy wrote:For those claiming Hodgson with the C next to his name makes a huge difference to our side, why have we won 6/7 games without him? Maybe it's not that important (results-wise) who has the C.
More cause he was absolute garbage until he did his knee.

Ever since Sterlo appointed him the world's best thing since sliced bread, he's been awful.

Hopefully when he comes back he simplifies things based off how well Starling and Havilli have gone.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

RedRaider wrote:
Agree 100%, Red

You shouldn’t have bit..
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I have no idea what you call "biting", but if I'm not allowed to take shots at affgfjrkkltjfjdkd for his ridiculous behaviour at every opportunity I can I'm not sure of what the point of being alive is?
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

afgtnk wrote: September 1, 2020, 6:58 pm
RedRaider wrote: I hope this is ringing in the ears of the players as they take the field for the rest of the season. I also hope we see a return of aggressive defence. We saw the Storm defeat the Chooks by completely disrupting them with aggressive defence. The Panthers were highlighted on the Footy Show this morning giving it to the West Tigers with tackle after tackle pressure. It is a method of dominating the opposition and I hope we are back into it, starting with todays game.
Agree 100%, Red

"Jokes on them, I was just pretending to be retarded"
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: September 2, 2020, 5:02 pm I have no idea what you call "biting", but if I'm not allowed to take shots at affgfjrkkltjfjdkd for his ridiculous behaviour at every opportunity I can I'm not sure of what the point of being alive is?
Have I said before that this forum is a much, much better place without you spamming it with chronically unfunny posts?

I'm sure I have.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Botman wrote: September 1, 2020, 7:07 pm And the proof of the above is that when Croker is playing good football, we dont see Red and co complaining about his leadership. It's literally never mentioned. Not in the game day threads when we're getting a rough run with the officials, not after a tough loss... not at all. When he's playing well and no one has complaints about his game, his leadership is a non issue

When he's down on form, we see this come up. That's how you know its complete and utter Bull :lol:
Except my Captaincy comments were made following the Titans game where GE rated JC as a 6. I don't think he had a bad game against the Titans. My comments had nothing to do with his personal form it was about the sides performance in the second half. So your first sentence is clearly wrong and not based on anything to do with JCs form in the Titans match.

Why do you doubt what the man himself had to say:
"Having two captains gives us the chance to take the team to the next level .......," Croker said. Do you think Sticky made the decision to have two Captains for fun or did he agree with JC's comment?

You don't rate on field Captaincy and I do. It's as simple as that. I'll go with Sticky and the man, JC himself, about on field captaincy improving on field performance.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2020 Rd 16 V Bulldogs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:
The Nickman wrote: September 2, 2020, 5:02 pm I have no idea what you call "biting", but if I'm not allowed to take shots at affgfjrkkltjfjdkd for his ridiculous behaviour at every opportunity I can I'm not sure of what the point of being alive is?
Have I said before that this forum is a much, much better place without you spamming it with chronically unfunny posts?

I'm sure I have.
Possibly you have, all I ever seem to notice is you going on relentlessly about whichever Canberra Raiders player you currently hate

I’m so glad it’s our captain you’ve chosen since our halfback left
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: September 2, 2020, 5:59 pm
afgtnk wrote:

I'm sure I have.
Possibly you have, all I ever seem to notice is you going on relentlessly about whichever Canberra Raiders player you currently hate

I’m so glad it’s our captain you’ve chosen since our halfback left
He's right though. You're not funny.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: September 2, 2020, 4:29 pm For those claiming Hodgson with the C next to his name makes a huge difference to our side, why have we won 6/7 games without him? Maybe it's not that important (results-wise) who has the C.
Finchy, you missed the memo
When the team is performing poorly, it’s a sure sign of poor leadership, and when the team performs well, it actually has nothing to do with leadership

Do you see how this works now? Croker literally can’t win with people like akdhdha and red, and that’s precisely their intent.