All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: OFFICIAL: Tom Starling signs two year deal with Raiders

Post by zim »

Hope he's got the wheels to stay on an edge in firsts. We've got our own kikau brewing.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

All kings need an heir, and good leaders plan the succession well. And that's what this is - succession planning. I'm sure nobody at the club is under any delusions about how much longer Hodgo will be capable of playing, and if we can have a ready-made replacement, who is already part of the club culture and a huge talent and significant part of our finals run, so much the better.

Starling also gets the chance to learn under Hodgson (and Baptiste!) and work with him to smoothly transition the team to Starling as full-time hooker. I think this has been set up beautifully. With Havili not really caring where he plays as long as he gets to run the ball, and having the size to play in the forwards as well as the mobility to be very dangerous, we are now very well stocked with multiple contingencies.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

If we can solve the outside backs riddle our premiership window should be open for some time to come.
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: September 30, 2020, 9:58 am
Botman wrote: September 30, 2020, 9:25 am
Coastalraider wrote: September 30, 2020, 6:19 am This is a fantastic signing by the club, and frankly one I didn’t think we would see. Starling shown in the last 10 games he is starting 9 quality at a lot of clubs, and I didn’t expect him to stay. Shows the sort of culture we have.

Also it’s great insurance in case we have issues with Hodgos return.... we’ve had other playmakers return from second acl surgeries in the past that didn’t turn out so well....
Yeah i think he's shown more than enough to have a very decent sized contract stuck under his nose to be a full time 80 minute hooker, someone like the Dogs are crying out for a guy like him
OVER JOYED to be keeping him, and frankly as much as i love Hodgson (he and Smelly are two of my very favourite players in recent Raiders) we should be spending the next two years continuing to develop Starling with eyes of him sort of taking over in the next 18 months as Hodgo lurches into 32-33.
I saw Adrian Trevilyan play for the first time in the CRRL Cup Grand Final for the first time on Sunday. I'm VERY impressed. He only played two games this season, I believe due to a wrist injury... and I missed the other one. I'd obviously like to see more, before reaching a conclusion, but I don't think we want to be losing him either. Given the raps on him, from people who have seen more, he could be a once in a generation player. Might be some tough choices ahead.
My thoughts exactly. It is tough to project forward but he looked potentially great. I could see why Voss was saying he was the best hooker he has seen in schoolboy football. Esera and Mooney looked the same. If we had to keep any players outside of our first grade squad I’d keep those three
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

What a time to be alive, Tommy looks like he's made for it, a cook style player.. and he took his chance..
Semi, Harley and Timoko all looked great, and so did Kai,
Plus horse and guler to come back, and James next season...first grade players won't be picked baring injury and form, and our under 20s have some good young players.
I want to see more of Darby, he could be anything
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

Adrian Trevilyan from what i saw of that Grand final game. I know this is a massive massive call but for me will become a better number 9 than Harry Grant. We have to keep him at all costs will be a once generation player in my opinion.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I watched a majority of the U20s games this year and there were a good number of eyecatching performances, but Trevilyan and Mooney and Esera were standouts with another five or six I thought were potential future first graders. They suffered from injuries through the series, but were a class side.