OFFICIAL: Tom Starling signs two year deal with Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

OFFICIAL: Tom Starling signs two year deal with Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders call for an end NRL salary cap limbo

The Canberra Raiders are calling for the 2021 salary cap to be finalised by the end of the month. There's uncertainty over the size of the cap ($9.9 million) and whether the top squad might be reduced to 28 or 26.

The Raiders have offered Tom Starling a one-year extension to keep him in lime green next year, with recruitment guru Peter Mulholland hopeful it would be wrapped up this week. Other players affected by the uncertainty are Jordan Rapana and Sia Soliola.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders offer Tom Starling one year extension

Post by Botman »

Keeping Starling for another year given Hodgson's situation would be a HUGE coup for the club
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I hope he stays with us, he's been supa dupa...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Definitely should keep him.

My second highlight of a match next to the horn and Viking clap is when starling finally gets subbed on.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

No brainer get this done.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: August 17, 2020, 7:06 pm Keeping Starling for another year given Hodgson's situation would be a HUGE coup for the club
The hugest coup. Hope we can get it done.
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I love the idea of keeping Starling. LOVE IT!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Interesting. Maybe this is to try line his contract expiry up with Havili's, and then try to have him replaced come 2022?. With Hodgo back I can't see Tom usurping Siliva on the bench given he doesn't play another position, as it'd be a bit of a waste of a spot.

Also think it's time that both Raps and Sia are moved on, with Sia taking an off field role. They'd both be on decent money and I don't think we'd be getting a good enough return.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Get it done, get it done, get it done!

I'd like to see us keep Raps for another year while we bring Valemei and HSS up to first grade, and Sia is just such a good person to have around.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think a one season extension will give Starling the opportunity to jump into another club mid season if he doesn’t get an opportunity when Hodgson returns and when another club inevitably loses their Hooker for the season.

But it most importantly gives Starling the chance to develop his game further behind an amazing forward pack and a chance for him to offer a game breaking role off the bench. He could earn a big contract from 2022 if he continues on this trajectory.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

afgtnk wrote: August 17, 2020, 7:15 pm Interesting. Maybe this is to try line his contract expiry up with Havili's, and then try to have him replaced come 2022?. With Hodgo back I can't see Tom usurping Siliva on the bench given he doesn't play another position, as it'd be a bit of a waste of a spot.

Also think it's time that both Raps and Sia are moved on, with Sia taking an off field role. They'd both be on decent money and I don't think we'd be getting a good enough return.
No way re: Raps. What he brings to the culture as well as his toughness, metres out of trouble and experience means he is a must. With slick nick fully sick Cotric on the move we need experience in the backline whilst we continue to blood HSS and Valemi. Raps resigning is a priority imo
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: August 17, 2020, 7:41 pm I think a one season extension will give Starling the opportunity to jump into another club mid season if he doesn’t get an opportunity when Hodgson returns and when another club inevitably loses their Hooker for the season.

But it most importantly gives Starling the chance to develop his game further behind an amazing forward pack and a chance for him to offer a game breaking role off the bench. He could earn a big contract from 2022 if he continues on this trajectory.
Pretty insightful re the players/clubs/Hodgo recovery perspective.

By then we'll likely know if we need to be thinking of a post Hodgo Raiders. Or at least a double act.

From what I've seen I'd be rating Starling as a keeper. Havilii is good but I'd be nominating Starling as the successor/must have.

Havilii as the useful utility/squad man.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Havilis leg speed and quick play the balls are so useful to us. Im not a good enough judge to comment on just how effective a dummy half he is. Starlings attack has been obvious for all to see though. I hope we keep him. Possibly as that bech booker.

Rapa... I shudder at the thought of not having both him and Cotric next year 🥶

Really hope he's here.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders offer Tom Starling one year extension

Post by LastRaider »

Starling ain’t staying for a 1 year contract. With his form as it is with the strong possibility of gaining finals experience he will he snapped up by any of the bottom 4 teams.

Raiders need to sharpen there pencil unfortunately.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LastRaider wrote: August 17, 2020, 9:04 pm Starling ain’t staying for a 1 year contract. With his form as it is with the strong possibility of gaining finals experience he will he snapped up by any of the bottom 4 teams.

The article, at least, seems to suggest that deal can wrapped up in the next week.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Hopefully he sees more sense staying here with Hodgson and Ennis for another year. Despite all the accolades being thrown his way there's a lot more development left in his game.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I thought the article was suggesting mulholland hoped the salary cap would be sorted in the next week.

I reckon starling would be mad to turn down the opportunity to extend with us. He is playing good at the moment but i dont think he is ready to be a starting 9. There are countless examples of young, fringe first graders playing in the spine jumping for an oppourtunity but it not working out. Very few that kick on to have long first grade careers, think sammy williams, baptist
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

FROG wrote: August 17, 2020, 9:56 pm I thought the article was suggesting mulholland hoped the salary cap would be sorted in the next week.

I reckon starling would be mad to turn down the opportunity to extend with us. He is playing good at the moment but i dont think he is ready to be a starting 9. There are countless examples of young, fringe first graders playing in the spine jumping for an oppourtunity but it not working out. Very few that kick on to have long first grade careers, think sammy williams, baptist
I think it was saying Starling to be tied up in the next week.

“The Raiders have offered Tom Starling a one-year extension to keep him in lime green next year, with recruitment guru Peter Mulholland hopeful it would be wrapped up this week”: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Reflect all those comments that suggest this is a great move by the club. Credit to them if they can pull it off with Hodgo recovering from his knee op.

As far as Rapa and Soliola goes, I hope the club can squeeze them into the cap in some way. Rapana is in great form and Soliola provides that experience and maturity that all clubs should have.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: August 17, 2020, 9:04 pm Starling ain’t staying for a 1 year contract. With his form as it is with the strong possibility of gaining finals experience he will he snapped up by any of the bottom 4 teams.

When is this going to happen then? Been no indication of the bottom 4 teams trying to sign him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Only one year?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

sprintman wrote: August 18, 2020, 10:26 am Only one year?
I doubt he's willing to commit beyond that given the Hodgson situation
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I think a quick 1 year deal for Starling is a good move for both club and player. Starling gets the certainty of a contract for next year so reduces his concerns regarding an injury over the remainder of the season. He also gets to see if there is a future here at the club with him beyond next year. If he isn't getting a game can always kick up a stink next year and move on. As the power is with the player not the club in the current world. Minimal downside risk with plenty of upside for the Raiders.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I think the benefit of a 1 year deal for Starling is that he can back himself to improve with a good club that has good facilities and access to guys like Hodgson and hopefully Ennis next season.

With Hodgo out he has every opportunity to play some decent minutes and leverage that exposure into a longer term upgrade with any number of clubs.

At the moment a desperate club may want to pick him up on a speculative deal, but I can't imagine he's attracting mega offers just yet.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

The Starling situation seems remarkably similar to the Grant situation at the Storm.

If Tom has the smarts, he will sit in the background learning his craft and be groomed as a ready to go first grade footballer.

The remarkable thing about the Storm is that Smith has maintained his status as a great player until someone capable of taking over came into the mix. This is the situation here. Hodgson has been great for the club and has a future long term to the football team away from the field. He also is in a position where Starling will be putting considerable pressure on him over the next 12 months.

The injury is poor timing for Josh, and an excellent training period for Tom.

Canberra should lock Tom up for a period of time exactly long enough to complete the transition of the position from one excellent player to another.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Tom gets a say in that unfortunately :lol:
And he'd be mad to sign on for a deal any longer than one year for us, given if Hodgson decided to stick around for another 2-3 years his chance might come and go before he knows it.

I think the club and player are both thinking 12 months is perfect and both parties will reevaluate this time year based on where things stand. It would be great if we could transition from Hodgo to another good NRL hooker though, i still have Glenn Buttriss nightmares
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Starling has a great opportunity to further develop his skills next season off the bench and behind an amazing forward pack with a great Hooker coaching team.

It wouldn’t surprise me that Hodgso goes to ball playing lock after Starling comes on next season.

The two could become an amazing combo. Too many young hookers like Peats and Rein have sought a full time gig at another club too early in their careers.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hodgo doesnt have the leg drive for that.
He's not Victor Radley

We'd lose too much in the middle
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Just revert back to the classic 60/20 with a Starling stint before half time. Occasional tweaking.
Keep hodgo fresher for defence and through out the year. Then you can decide closer to finals what you really want to run with.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Move Cotric to fullback

Move Cam Smith to halfback
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

We'd need Starling in the early rounds as Hodgo will either still be sidelined or playing lighter minutes. Figure it out from there.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 23, 2020, 8:52 pm We'd need Starling in the early rounds as Hodgo will either still be sidelined or playing lighter minutes. Figure it out from there.
Yeah my read is this is what both parties are thinking.
There is an easy route for Starling to be a big part of our 2021 campaign, and they'll each go from there.

Need to get that 12 month extension locked in though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Livewire Tom Starling set to stay in lime green after Canberra Raiders table offer

Rising Raider Tom Starling hopes to sign off on a new contract with the club in the coming weeks after making the most of his limited opportunities this season.

"I spoke to my manager and he got a deal from the club last week but we haven't really sat down and had a good look at it," Starling said. "I don't want any distractions coming with that sort of stuff and just want to focus on my role with a few games left remaining but I'm keen to stay on for sure.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/26/liv ... ime-green/
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I’d been told his girlfriend is in Sydney and he was looking at possibly moving there next year. But being at a good club who offers you another year would be hard to turn down.
Obviously a Sydney club who doesn’t have a decent hooker also need to be smart enough to chase him, and considering the Bulldogs were seriously considering McCulloch for next year, and just signed Blake Green after he done his ACL at 34, I think we’re safe.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: August 23, 2020, 8:35 pm Starling has a great opportunity to further develop his skills next season off the bench and behind an amazing forward pack with a great Hooker coaching team.

It wouldn’t surprise me that Hodgso goes to ball playing lock after Starling comes on next season.

The two could become an amazing combo. Too many young hookers like Peats and Rein have sought a full time gig at another club too early in their careers.
Hodgo is no kind of lock. Lacks mobility, doesn't tackle well (by middle standards) and is undersized.

I used to cringe when he got played at lock for 10 mins in the Baptiste days. Hated it. You don't see Melbourne using Cam Smith as a battering ram. It's very, very dumb- a misuse of cattle.

Sure he made the odd brave run but he got smashed more often than not. Doesn't make sense for value either. Hodgo is either a main hooker (be it 60 or 80) or maybe transitioning in a final season. And it would be a final season of watching him get punished hard. The lightweight locks are all very mobile, athletic, bouncy guys- not unlike a Wighton in that they are great athletes, have some skill and motor but also love the contact and tackle way above their weight. That's not Hodgo.

He's not got the athleticism, body or game for anywhere else imo.